Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Sparkey84

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Problem with your reasoning or expectations is that covid is not going away. Not a chance.
    It will end up like a flu and we will have sort of a lottery with vaccinations. They may work with certain strains to some degree abut we will never know which strain will hit us.
    So if you think masks are here only till covid goes away then it means they are here forever. Not for me though.

there is no problem with my reasoning, if you read my post again you will see it made no reference to my opinion as to whether or not i believe covid will go away. i only stated masks might go away IF covid does.

in certain situations masks may stay, like a doctors waiting room for example.

even if covid does go i bet in the future a person coughing and sputtering in a doctors waiting room may decide to wear a mask, respiratory disease does not have to be covid.

then that does depend on the moral fibre of the person and if they care about those around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

This is what’s completely wrong with masks and the categorising of somebody who doesn’t wear a mask as some sort of lower human

Mask should be a choice and not a means to judge people.

If you want to wear a mask wear it but don’t judge others.

The pro mask high and mighty brigade will be along to proclaim the end of society if you don’t wear a mask or face covering and that your selfish and yada yada yada etc.

Dude, masks are like underwear. Wear it in public and feel comfortable, or don't wear it and feel like you're exposing yourself to children. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Problem with your reasoning or expectations is that covid is not going away. Not a chance.
    It will end up like a flu and we will have sort of a lottery with vaccinations. They may work with certain strains to some degree abut we will never know which strain will hit us.
    So if you think masks are here only till covid goes away then it means they are here forever. Not for me though.

It's the needing bit that gets me all a tingle....

What we NEED is a better understanding of our own health,fitness and lifestyle choices.

A bit more attention paid to those,along with a dollop of self-confidence in our own immune system will achieve a lot more than pieces of cotton,plastic and elastic covering our faces ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Dude, masks are like underwear. Wear it in public and feel comfortable, or don't wear it and feel like you're exposing yourself to children. Your choice.

Nobody wear just underwear in public so it is perfectly fine to go without underwear and still feel comfortable without exposing himself. There is certain freedom in not being tight in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

AlekSmart wrote: »

What we NEED is a better understanding of our own health,fitness and lifestyle choices.

A bit more attention paid to those,along with a dollop of self-confidence in our own immune system will achieve a lot more than pieces of cotton,plastic and elastic covering our faces ?

Some people don't want to be convinced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Exactly. If you live healthy lifestyle and your immune system works you do not need to be afraid you get something and most certainly not afraid on "pasing something on someone else".
    This whole woke attitude is becoming ridiculous. Everyone should restrict movement and put on face mask so people who feel vulnerable can go freely out to "enjoy" life.
    Vulnerable people should start protecting themselves and not expect everyone else doing that job for them. This narrative is so full of hypothetical situations and expectations that it actually make no sense at all.
    On one hand people are screaming how dare we are to expect vulnerable people to hide or cocoon that they are entitled to normal life too and we have to forget about doing anything because vulnerable people may be in danger when they decide to travel or shop. What a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nope.
    False dichotomy.
    Plus chance of cytokine storm means you should never be too self confident in your immune system.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Some people don't want to be convinced.

Not a bad summation really...you could add "don't NEED to be convinced" just for balance ?
    I suppose that's the Human Problem,is it not.....we're SO unpredictable !

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Nope.
    False dichotomy.
    Plus chance of cytokine storm means you should never be too self confident in your immune system.

I'm not.

Is that ok with you ?

Exactly. If you live healthy lifestyle and your immune system works you do not need to be afraid you get something and most certainly not afraid on "pasing something on someone else".
    This whole woke attitude is becoming ridiculous. Everyone should restrict movement and put on face mask so people who feel vulnerable can go freely out to "enjoy" life.
    Vulnerable people should start protecting themselves and not expect everyone else doing that job for them. This narrative is so full of hypothetical situations and expectations that it actually make no sense at all.
    On one hand people are screaming how dare we are to expect vulnerable people to hide or cocoon that they are entitled to normal life too and we have to forget about doing anything because vulnerable people may be in danger when they decide to travel or shop. What a mess.

Healthy immune system is complete nonsense. You can pick up infections and pass them on.
    This is utterly without foundation.

You want some people to cocoon because the trauma of wearing a mask in a shop or bus means you cant live a normal life?

You cant protect the vulnerable and let virus run rampant.
    Its not a policy. Its the slogan of the selfish.

• Advertisement

the real test of an ideology is to see if it works in a different but ethically similar situation. the most vulnerable people on our roads are pedestrians.

imagine a drunk driver turning to the family of a crash victim saying "its not up to me to protect the vulnerable" he should not have been on the road of he was going to be that squishy . my freedom to drink and drive is more important to me than his safety

compare that to

"i'm not going to wear a mask in a shop, i am going to ignore all the evidence that says less people might die if i do, that information does not fit my narrative. my comfort is more important that your safety.

i may be biased but i look at a maskless person the same way as i would look and a person who lights up a cigarette in the middle of the cinema

Chad Dorrill, a 19-year student at Appalachian State University who his mother and former coach described as a "super healthy" athlete, died on Monday due to coronavirus complications, officials said.
    see screen shot

i believe this mans family might disagree with you

you are right though we should all watch our lifestyle choices, health, fitness etx

but maybe we should do it "as well as" the research proven effective piece of cotton and elastic rather than instead of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

What to say to this pile of garbage in one post. Seriously.

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    the real test of an ideology is to see if it works in a different but ethically similar situation. the most vulnerable people on our roads are pedestrians.

imagine a drunk driver turning to the family of a crash victim saying "its not up to me to protect the vulnerable" he should not have been on the road of he was going to be that squishy . my freedom to drink and drive is more important to me than his safety

compare that to

"i'm not going to wear a mask in a shop, i am going to ignore all the evidence that says less people might die if i do, that information does not fit my narrative. my comfort is more important that your safety.

i may be biased but i look at a maskless person the same way as i would look and a person who lights up a cigarette in the middle of the cinema

I am a lifelong non-smoker,(helpful in avoiding respiratory ailments),but I now have a sudden yearning for Cinemas to reopen.

Chad Dorrill, a 19-year student at Appalachian State University who his mother and former coach described as a "super healthy" athlete, died on Monday due to coronavirus complications, officials said.
    see screen shot

i believe this mans family might disagree with you

you are right though we should all watch our lifestyle choices, health, fitness etx

but maybe we should do it "as well as" the research proven effective piece of cotton and elastic rather than instead of.

They might well do so,or they might not ?

If you are suggesting my lack of enthusiasm for the efficacy of Facecoverings directly contributed to this poor lad's death,fair enough.

However,as we know only too well in Ireland,sudden deaths of very fit young athletes occur with sad regularity,covid or not.

I admire,but do not share,your belief in the research proven element,and that's where we stand.

I am a lifelong non-smoker,(helpful in avoiding respiratory ailments),but I now have a sudden yearning for Cinemas to reopen.

on a tangent if cinemas did reopen with a mask policy and the customers decide to go based on the expectation their risk would be mitigated in such a way, should an anti-masker be let in?

They might well do so,or they might not ?

If you are suggesting my lack of enthusiasm for the efficacy of Facecoverings directly contributed to this poor lad's death,fair enough.

However,as we know only too well in Ireland,sudden deaths of very fit young athletes occur with sad regularity,covid or not.

I admire,but do not share,your belief in the research proven element,and that's where we stand.

this poor young man did die of covid, and he did contract it off someone, we can not know who but its fair to say either no contact at all or more ppe between those two people could have saved a life. that's the bottom line in of all this, peoples lives, i am perhaps more enthusiastic about the issue as i have dealt directly with covid death in a professional capacity.

your point about disagreeing on the research i can not easily accept, because it is not my opinion vs your opinion because i am not offering opinion. i am referencing observed scientific data. it is not my data or my research i have no bias, if masks did prove to be more harm than good i would switch sides immediately, but that is not where the data points

compare that to

Is Dr Rand Paul way off in the following:

"It’d be one thing if we were told you have to give up your liberty, you have to give up your freedom, we’re going to save your life. But what if you have to give up all your freedoms and they’re wrong on the science?

Every one of the mandates — and you look in country after country, state after state — you look at when the mask mandates went in — the incidents went up exponentially after the mandates. Restaurants, nobody can eat in a restaurant, there’s no science behind any of that.

Middle seat missing on the airplane, you really think you’re like 12 inches from the other guy instead of six inches, it really makes a difference? None of it really makes any sense, and there’s no epidemiological evidence. You know, it’s like, ‘Wash your hands, stand six feet apart.’

There’s no evidence that that slowed down the [spread]. … The trajectory of the virus hasn’t been altered at all by any of these things. I think the vaccine will, and this is why I really despise people like the CNN Doctor [Sanjay] Gupta, who I think is committing television malpractice by saying, ‘Oh, your mask is a much better thing than the vaccine.’ Well, no, it isn’t. The masks aren’t working at all. The thing’s going through the roof and people are dying. Why would you want to discourage someone from taking a vaccine and say, ‘Oh wear the mask.’?

And the masks are different, too. The N95 mask actually does work to a certain extent, if worn properly and used [with] sterile technique. In the hospital, our doctors — I have a brother and sister who are doctors, they wear the N95 mask, and it’s kept them from getting infected — but there’s no value to the cloth mask, at all.

It’s like wearing your underwear. You might as well cut your underwear up and wear your underwear as protection. It doesn’t work."

"It’d be one thing if we were told you have to give up your liberty, you have to give up your freedom, we’re going to save your life. But what if you have to give up all your freedoms and they’re wrong on the science?

Every one of the mandates — and you look in country after country, state after state — you look at when the mask mandates went in — the incidents went up exponentially after the mandates. Restaurants, nobody can eat in a restaurant, there’s no science behind any of that.

Middle seat missing on the airplane, you really think you’re like 12 inches from the other guy instead of six inches, it really makes a difference? None of it really makes any sense, and there’s no epidemiological evidence. You know, it’s like, ‘Wash your hands, stand six feet apart.’

There’s no evidence that that slowed down the [spread]. … The trajectory of the virus hasn’t been altered at all by any of these things. I think the vaccine will, and this is why I really despise people like the CNN Doctor [Sanjay] Gupta, who I think is committing television malpractice by saying, ‘Oh, your mask is a much better thing than the vaccine.’ Well, no, it isn’t. The masks aren’t working at all. The thing’s going through the roof and people are dying. Why would you want to discourage someone from taking a vaccine and say, ‘Oh wear the mask.’?

And the masks are different, too. The N95 mask actually does work to a certain extent, if worn properly and used [with] sterile technique. In the hospital, our doctors — I have a brother and sister who are doctors, they wear the N95 mask, and it’s kept them from getting infected — but there’s no value to the cloth mask, at all.

It’s like wearing your underwear. You might as well cut your underwear up and wear your underwear as protection. It doesn’t work."
    does your brother and sister share the opinion that cloth masks are ineffective?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That’s a weird way to feel about wearing no underwear. What is it about going commando that makes you think about children??

• Advertisement

are you really trying to say the trajectory of the virus has not been affected by any measure? that seems a bit out there, even for you

Fandymo wrote: »
    That’s a weird way to feel about wearing no underwear. What is it about going commando that makes you think about children??

you are very quick to jump on a point that is neither scientific or relevant. you really are the noise in this treads signal to noise ratio arn't you

on a tangent if cinemas did reopen with a mask policy and the customers decide to go based on the expectation their risk would be mitigated in such a way, should an anti-masker be let in?

Perhaps the proprietors would have a section coralled off for the maskless ? but,I would check the policy before I went,if there were such a policy,I'd stay away.

I should add that I do not fit your description of an anti-masker,as I currently comply with Facecovering Regulations,but only where required by law.

Once I am out of those scenarios then off comes the mask.

The reality of normal day to day human interaction,ensures that I and most people will not be in close enough contact for long enough to transfer the viral load required to infect my fellow beings.

I get to observe a lot of people on a daily basis,and I am aware of the protocols surrounding the CORRECT utilization of Face Masks,which makes me very comfortable with suggesting that c.10% follow these procedures,leaving the remaining 90% doing the optics and little else.

So,to be honest,I feel I am making at least as good a contribution to the overall good of Humanity by NOT masking-up at every opportunity..

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/face-mask-plastic-pollution?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1
    According to recent studies, humanity is going through 129 billion face masks a month, which works out to three million a minute. While we go through a lot of plastics in a month, the number of plastic bottles we use has been estimated at 43 billion a month, a large fraction of those have well-known guidelines around them promoting recycling.

Such information doesn't exist for masks, making it likely that most of them are ending up in the trash.

It's a funny ol World,innit ?

This is absolute gibberish utterly without foundation. Its just a rant.
    Dude ahould stick to being a self certified eye doctor cos he knows SFA about public health measures for infectious diseases apparently.
    Could explain how covid is spread perhaps?
    Given that there are proven cases of spread at restaurants.

Perhaps the proprietors would have a section coralled off for the maskless ? but,I would check the policy before I went,if there were such a policy,I'd stay away.

I should add that I do not fit your description of an anti-masker,as I currently comply with Facecovering Regulations,but only where required by law.

Once I am out of those scenarios then off comes the mask.

The reality of normal day to day human interaction,ensures that I and most people will not be in close enough contact for long enough to transfer the viral load required to infect my fellow beings.

I get to observe a lot of people on a daily basis,and I am aware of the protocols surrounding the CORRECT utilization of Face Masks,which makes me very comfortable with suggesting that c.10% follow these procedures,leaving the remaining 90% doing the optics and little else.

So,to be honest,I feel I am making at least as good a contribution to the overall good of Humanity by NOT masking-up at every opportunity..

https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/face-mask-plastic-pollution?rebelltitem=1#rebelltitem1

It's a funny ol World,innit ?

if you wearing your mask when you need to ie close to people and distancing otherwise then we have similar actions, fair play you are not an anti-masker

this poor young man did die of covid, and he did contract it off someone, we can not know who but its fair to say either no contact at all or more ppe between those two people could have saved a life. that's the bottom line in of all this, peoples lives, i am perhaps more enthusiastic about the issue as i have dealt directly with covid death in a professional capacity.

your point about disagreeing on the research i can not easily accept, because it is not my opinion vs your opinion because i am not offering opinion. i am referencing observed scientific data. it is not my data or my research i have no bias, if masks did prove to be more harm than good i would switch sides immediately, but that is not where the data points

I have absolutely NO interest in getting you to "switch sides".

The observed scientific data as you say,is being said to "point" in the direction you suggest.

However,since the Covid-19 Pandemic is but 14 months with us,on this side of the World,I am also aware that the scientific data is still very much in the collection stage in relation to Covid-19,with nowhere near enough specific research yet completed,to allow publication of definitive reports on the subject.

The,perhaps unpalatable,truth is that the main defences we possess against Covid-19,are the things my Ma drilled into me as a child....

Wash Your Hands...PROPERLY !
    Don't be catchin flies with your gob hangin open !!
    Did I not give you a Handkerchief ? (NEVER a "hankie) then USE it when you cough or sneeze !!!

Added to this was her insistence on "Airing the House" every morning,winter or summer windows opened to let fresh air in.

So there you have it,like you I have no bias,but perhaps a shared enthusiasm for life.

So I'll continue to "Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm."

I have absolutely NO interest in getting you to "switch sides".

The observed scientific data as you say,is being said to "point" in the direction you suggest.

However,since the Covid-19 Pandemic is but 14 months with us,on this side of the World,I am also aware that the scientific data is still very much in the collection stage in relation to Covid-19,with nowhere near enough specific research yet completed,to allow publication of definitive reports on the subject.

The,perhaps unpalatable,truth is that the main defences we possess against Covid-19,are the things my Ma drilled into me as a child....

Wash Your Hands...PROPERLY !
    Don't be catchin flies with your gob hangin open !!
    Did I not give you a Handkerchief ? (NEVER a "hankie) then USE it when you cough or sneeze !!!

Added to this was her insistence on "Airing the House" every morning,winter or summer windows opened to let fresh air in.

So there you have it,like you I have no bias,but perhaps a shared enthusiasm for life.

So I'll continue to "Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm."

your mother was astute and her advice would certainly be well taken ill leave you on a single point.

we would do well not to discount the "good" data just because the "perfect" data does not yet exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Every one of the mandates — and you look in country after country, state after state — you look at when the mask mandates went in — the incidents went up exponentially after the mandates.

There’s no evidence that that slowed down the [spread]. … The trajectory of the virus hasn’t been altered at all by any of these things.

The N95 mask actually does work to a certain extent, if worn properly and used [with] sterile technique. In the hospital, our doctors — I have a brother and sister who are doctors, they wear the N95 mask, and it’s kept them from getting infected — but there’s no value to the cloth mask, at all.

Oh look a mask mandate where the incidents did not go up exponentially after the mandate.

Oh look surgical masks, not N95's were used.

BTW every mask has a value.

EbTBMB9XkAASown-e1597690317566.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Shouldn't be afraid to pass it on? What if your immune system doesn't work? If they're very vulnerable, they might have no choice but to hide. But they will require help and you can't lock up their carer. God, it's such a selfish attitude to have.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This is absolute gibberish utterly without foundation. Its just a rant.
    Dude ahould stick to being a self certified eye doctor cos he knows SFA about public health measures for infectious diseases apparently.
    Could explain how covid is spread perhaps?
    Given that there are proven cases of spread at restaurants.

He studied immunology: https://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/healthcare/546412-we-must-resist-the-latest-covid-era-power-grab-the-vaccine

"I’m a Duke Medical School trained M.D. and I studied immunology before moving on to my career in eye surgery."

Advertisement