Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The good season is kicking in, and with the highest temperatures I think it will be harder and harder to wear a mask for hours.
    Talking about the psychological distress, I am starting getting really stressed out from having this piece of fabric against my mouth. I already warned the people around me that my tolerance is getting next to zero, and one of this day I could really hurt someone out of the blue just because I can't take it anymore.
    I hope there is a kind of impunity if someone does something wrong because of an induced stress...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

The good season is kicking in, and with the highest temperatures I think it will be harder and harder to wear a mask for hours.
    Talking about the psychological distress, I am starting getting really stressed out from having this piece of fabric against my mouth. I already warned the people around me that my tolerance is getting next to zero, and one of this day I could really hurt someone out of the blue just because I can't take it anymore.
    I hope there is a kind of impunity if someone does something wrong because of an induced stress...

of course there is not going to be impunity over being annoyed, its not a play school we are in. try some of these, originally for make up but think they supposed to work well for breathability

• Registered Users Posts: 9,785 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Anyone who physically lashes out over a mask doesn't deserve impunity, they clearly can't function in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

From the sound of your situation,you would qualify for an exemption.

S.I.244/2020 refers...
    Reasonable excuse

6.Without prejudice to the generality of what constitutes reasonable excuse for the purposes of Regulation 5(1), a person has reasonable excuse if -

(a) the person cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering -

(i) because of any physical or mental illness, impairment, or disability, or

(ii) without severe distress,

(b) the person needs to communicate with a person who has difficulties communicating (in relation to speech, language or otherwise),

(c) the person removes the face covering to provide emergency assistance or to provide care or assistance to a vulnerable person,

(d) the person removes the face covering to avoid harm or injury, or the risk of harm or injury,

(e) the person removes the face covering in order to, and only for the time required to, take medication.

I would suggest that wearing the mask is causing you "severe distress",advise your challengers of this and walk on.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Is there any word on when the mask mandate will be lifted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You're in Italy, right? So the temperatures are much higher.

You should move to Ireland. It's a perfect climate for mask wearing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Seanergy wrote: »
    Did you take the plunge?

I'm gonna give it a go when the app is up and running, should be out by 28th of April.

Time to look for professional help, some counseling and nice dose of tranquilizer.

AlekSmart wrote: »

S.I.244/2020 refers...

I would suggest that wearing the mask is causing you "severe distress",advise your challengers of this and walk on.

There are no challengers mentioned in his post, it's just a little try of yours to push it that way, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I am starting getting really stressed out from having this piece of fabric against my mouth. I already warned the people around me that my tolerance is getting next to zero, and one of this day I could really hurt someone out of the blue just because I can't take it anymore.

Have you tried a spacer do that the 'fabric' is not against your mouth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

The way skiers get a goggle tan I might end up with a mask/facecovering tan by end of summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

sm3ar wrote: »
    Is there any word on when the mask mandate will be lifted?

Depends on DNA and stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

pottokblue wrote: »
    The way skiers get a goggle tan I might end up with a mask/facecovering tan by end of summer

If you're wearing a mask out in the sunshine I'd be more worried about whatever mental illness you may have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

None that I know of and no offical diagnois, I just dont have a mask phobia that some people might have. I dont wear masks in private gardens or on outdoor walks in not busy places but I'm a regular public transport user so wear them outdoors when waiting for transport to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,977 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you're wearing a mask out in the sunshine I'd be more worried about whatever mental illness you may have.

I wear them when walking to an errand in the local area as it is easier than fiddling with them just as I get to the place and outside the shop / surgery etc is usually busy.

In some countries masks are mandatory in certain outside locations.

So no need to jump on unfounded accusations of mental issues, if you have a bit of imagination.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I wear them when walking to an errand in the local area as it is easier than fiddling with them just as I get to the place and outside the shop / surgery etc is usually busy.

In some countries masks are mandatory in certain outside locations.

So no need to jump on unfounded accusations of mental issues, if you have a bit of imagination.

You wear a mask outside, walking to the shops... Good God you must have RTE hooked into your veins.

You wear a mask outside, walking to the shops... Good God you must have RTE hooked into your veins.

Looks like you still didn't get it MEGA BRO..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

:rolleyes:

If wearing a mask makes you rage out and attack somebody, the mask is the absolute least of your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

AlekSmart wrote: »

S.I.244/2020 refers...

have you ever looked up the word severe in a dictionary????

• Registered Users Posts: 34,905 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd imagine someone being this level of anti mask is probably far more indicative of mental illness ...

I only wear a mask entering a shop but will sometimes just leave one on too if I'm going in and out of several shops in short succession. Seems a bit pointless to continually take it off/put it on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Well said! Also in some countries it's compulsory to wear them outside as well anyway.
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I'd imagine someone being this level of anti mask is probably far more indicative of mental illness ...

I only wear a mask entering a shop but will sometimes just leave one on too if I'm going in and out of several shops in short succession. Seems a bit pointless to continually take it off/put it on again.

Lumen wrote: »
    You're in Italy, right? So the temperatures are much higher.

You should move to Ireland. It's a perfect climate for mask wearing. :pac:

Yes I am in Italy.
    Moving to Ireland was one of my dreams, but at the moment I think that moving is a bit hard :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tree pollen is an absolute c*nt st the moment. Masks are reducing the seasonal headache of hayfever

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Weepsie wrote: »
    Tree pollen is an absolute c*nt st the moment. Masks are reducing the seasonal headache of hayfever

So mask wearing is of benefit for people that suffer fom hayfever right?

So mask wearing is of benefit for people that suffer fom hayfever right?

One would think so at this stage.

https://allergyasthmanetwork.org/news/why-face-masks-are-critical-for-people-with-asthma-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    of course there is not going to be impunity over being annoyed, its not a play school we are in. try some of these, originally for make up but think they supposed to work well for breathability

I tried to understand how that bracket works, and the only thing that I came up with is that it applies on my face and keeps the mask at a distance from mouth and nose, but this means that I would have this bracket touching my face, and I'd be back to square one, where I don't want anything touching my face.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If wearing a mask makes you rage out and attack somebody, the mask is the absolute least of your concerns.

A mask gives me stress as much as any other uncomfortable situation that I have to stand for a prolonged time against my will.
    Say you have an uncomfortable pair of shoes. If you have to walk in them for half a mile, you can bear with them, and as soon as you are ready to get rid of them, you'll do it.
    But what if you have to wear those uncomfortable shoes for several hours a day, every day? Wouldn't you get stressed out? Wouldn't you like to punch someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Say you have an uncomfortable pair of shoes. If you have to walk in them for half a mile, you can bear with them, and as soon as you are ready to get rid of them, you'll do it.
    But what if you have to wear those uncomfortable shoes for several hours a day, every day? Wouldn't you get stressed out? Wouldn't you like to punch someone?

1. Yes
    2. No

• Registered Users Posts: 29,977 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A mask gives me stress as much as any other uncomfortable situation that I have to stand for a prolonged time against my will.

I'd get frustrated and uncomfortable. I might bang the shoes off the ground. I wouldn't throw them at someone.
    If your thoughts are going down the line of violence to anyone, you should be seeking proper help and this thread isn't the place for it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

having this piece of fabric against my mouth.... I could really hurt someone.

When suggestted you try a spacer, your story changed from 'mouth' to 'face'.
    I tried to understand how that bracket works.......but this means that I would have this bracket touching my face

Which is it, mouth or face?

Why have you not tried a spacer? Surely some relief is what you are after?

BTW it's not just spacers that keep masks off lips, plenty of other mask designs do the same.
    Say you have an uncomfortable pair of shoes.....
    what if you have to wear those uncomfortable shoes for several hours a day, every day? Wouldn't you get stressed out? Wouldn't you like to punch someone?

Punching someone or even a lot of people is not going to change the comfort of your shoes.

Who choose your shoes? Did you choose them for fit or was it price?

Also, curious to know, this person you punch, is it yourself and are you wearing or not wearing a mask at the time, it's very relevant.

Advertisement