Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bush wrote: »
    Sorry I have no problem suppressing a sneeze and my head doesnt feel like its imploding :pac:
    Its really not that hard and its better than sneezing freely through some crappy weak mask which I see all the time.

Spontaneous rupture of the back of the throat, pseudomediastinum, perforation of the tympanic membrane and cerebral aneurysm are all rare side-effects of holding in a sneeze.

On the plus side, none of these are contagious so you're only putting yourself at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Graham wrote: »
    Spontaneous rupture of the back of the throat, pseudomediastinum, perforation of the tympanic membrane and cerebral aneurysm are all rare side-effects of holding in a sneeze.

On the plus side, none of these are contagious so you're only putting yourself at risk.

Like being put on a ventilator or dying are rare side effects of Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Mask or not I imagine you're still supposed to sneeze into your bent arm? To lesser extent but still valid for coughing?

Cos practically I'd say if you sneezed into your mask it would be quite messy and thats the end of that mask.

Cos practically I'd say if you sneezed into your mask it would be quite messy and thats the end of that mask.

Would depend on the droplet to snot ratio I reckon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Like being put on a ventilator or dying are rare side effects of Covid?

Well certainly not a 'rare side effect' to the approx. One million people worldwide who have already died of the disease ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Sorry I have no problem suppressing a sneeze and my head doesnt feel like its imploding :pac:
    Its really not that hard and its better than sneezing freely through some crappy weak mask which I see all the time.

Not surprised at all

What's that, by your definition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

gozunda wrote: »
    Well certainly not a 'rare side effect' to the approx. One million people worldwide who have already died of the disease ...

Roughly 150,000 people die every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

I keep hearing from people that it's a planned pandemic, that its about the economy and the the US presidential election, and the virus isn't that bad, and maybe it isn't, but who am i hurting wearing a mask when shopping or where its compulsary? Likely no one, except people who block the aisle in Dunnes Stores, they get psychological heatbutts in the form of the evil stare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

https://twitter.com/newstalkfm/status/1305546119791943686?s=21

That is the Luke Kelly Newstalk interview on video

Anyone have any info on this?

Or can they point me to a discussion as to whether it is possible or not?

Personally I think the idea had already occurred to me ,(not via masks) but I thought not to much was known about the effects of low viral loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Not surprised at all

What's that, by your definition

Your not surprised I can hold a sneeze in? I'm sure your not because most people can I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

Your not surprised I can hold a sneeze in? I'm sure your not because most people can I would have thought.

I hold in a sneeze by looking up at the ceiling.I have to do this 2 or 3 times as it keeps coming back but I can postpone it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

2FM is no longer holding a discussion on face masks this morning.

There was backlash when Jennifer Zamparelli tweeted about the segment idea yesterday.

In the show intro, she says “It’s been an emotional 24 hours”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

I see Dr Faucet has said that were going to be wearing masks long after a vaccine is in use

It seems inevitable we'll be wearing them for a long time as they're an inexpensive.measure for government to keep in place

The social cost is high though with SD and masks

amandstu wrote: »
    I hold in a sneeze by looking up at the ceiling.I have to do this 2 or 3 times as it keeps coming back but I can postpone it anyway.

Impractical and not recommended tbh

https://time.com/3975363/sneezing/?amp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Seanergy wrote: »
    2FM is no longer holding a discussion on face masks this morning.

There was backlash when Jennifer Zamparelli tweeted about the segment idea yesterday.

In the show intro, she says “It’s been an emotional 24 hours”.

the national broadcaster cant even discuss a topic.

This is censorship in full view.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone have any info on this?
    Or can they point me to a discussion as to whether it is possible or not?
    Personally I think the idea had already occurred to me ,(not via masks) but I thought not to much was known about the effects of low viral loads.

Theres nothing solid on it yet. The Telegraph summarised an article from New England Journal of Medicine about the theory based on viral load, apparent increase in asymptomatic cases.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gozunda wrote: »

Of or with?

Of or with?

See previous WHO definition, that's already been explained.

Of or with?

For the use of the correct grammatical propositions perhaps try the Language Forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

Are there people out there who wear a mask and a face shield? Or is it really OTT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

seekers wrote: »
    Are there people out there who wear a mask and a face shield? Or is it really OTT?

Seems to be a lot of women with just the face shield, is it a fashion thing?

Thought the shield on its own isn't enough

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

Zarco wrote: »

The shields are a bit handier but are awkward to carry around or wear outside. I suppose it is hard to wear a mask all day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

https://twitter.com/newstalkfm/status/1305546119791943686?s=21

Luke Kelly on Newstalk would be worth listening to, Luke O'Neill not so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wonder how much of these youth sayings translate to Ireland

https://twitter.com/nygovcuomo/status/1305612543801647104?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zarco wrote: »

Out in the fresh air that doesn't matter at all and inside depends on a whole lot of things.

paw patrol wrote: »
    the national broadcaster cant even discuss a topic.

This is censorship in full view.

Not really.

Was just happy not to see your head imploding.

Anyway you forgot the other part.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

• Advertisement

moonage wrote: »

That's like a comedy sketch. Reminds me of this lol

https://youtu.be/MvuCTM2o-EY?t=45s

Advertisement