Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Seanergy wrote: »
    When suggestted you try a spacer, your story changed from 'mouth' to 'face'.

Mouth, face, nose, whatever is above my neck, I don't want to feel stuff against the skin of that part of my body.
    I said "mouth" because this damn mask always gets into my mouth when I speak.
    But if it's another thing touching my mouth/face/nose then it's just the same.
    Why have you not tried a spacer? Surely some relief is what you are after?

Because I i know it'll be a waste of money.
    BTW it's not just spacers that keep masks off lips, plenty of other mask designs do the same.

Like the FFP2 masks, they are designed to stand a bit farther from the mouth, but they reduce the breathability.
    At work we are asked to wear surgical or FFP2 masks, other types/designs are not allowed.
    Also, curious to know, this person you punch, is it yourself and are you wearing or not wearing a mask at the time, it's very relevant.

I genuinely apologize, I don't think I have understood this part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Mouth, face, nose, whatever is above my neck, I don't want to feel stuff against the skin of that part of my body.

Because I know it'll be a waste of money.

You don't know that, you've formed a belief and are being bullheaded about it.

BTW a mask spacer does not need to involve money, free DIY video attached.

You don't know that, you've formed a belief and are being bullheaded about it.

The basic is that I don't stand the mask :D:D:D
    BTW a mask spacer does not need to involve money, free DIY video attached.

That's interesting, nice job. Much better than those spacers that look like the "Hannibal Lecter's" muzzle!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Everybody formed a belief. Even some scientists formed belief without any supporting evidence.

Take wearing mask outside. While it make sense in some mega cities in Asia where it was meant as a protection against smog and particles from mainly car exhausts it has practically zero effect against viruses.

I borrow words of someone else here but I whole agree with them:

...even Dr. Fauci now admits that the risk of vaccinated people spreading COVID outside is “minuscule,” and yet some health professionals are pushing for the mask mandates to be made permanent.

The transmission of COVID-19 outdoors is almost non-existent, making mask mandates merely a political tool of population control.

In a recent open letter to the German government and state premiers, five leading members of the Association for Aerosol Research (GAeF) wrote, “The transmission of SARS-CoV-2 viruses takes place indoors almost without exception. Transmission outdoors is extremely rare and never leads to cluster infections as can be observed indoors.”

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

I for one will be discarding masks the first chance I get. It's all a little ridiculous at this point, box ticking exercise every time I go into a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Not sure this has been posted here. It seems pretty damning on the whole mask wearing and by actual scientists.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit-researchers-say-youre-no-safer-from-covid-indoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,948 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

bullvine wrote: »
    Not sure this has been posted here. It seems pretty damning on the whole mask wearing and by actual scientists.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/mit-researchers-say-youre-no-safer-from-covid-indoors-at-6-feet-or-60-feet-in-new-study.html

Interesting article.
    There hasnt been nearly enough emphasis on ventilation. Masks are good but they are not going to fully protect against long duration in poorly ventilated space.

I think it underestimates wind impact outdoors or rather may be oversimplifying.
    Most of the time wind will act as they describe.
    But a breeze can blow in one direction airflow from person A to person B ... downwind v upwind is a thing.
    Also in some countries there can be v little wind at times.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Damning, really? The article which ends with a statement from the study's authors with:

"Our study indicates that the six-foot rule is insufficient to limit indoor airborne transmission of COVID-19: one must also limit the time spent in an indoor space. Our study demonstrates how this time limit depends on the relevant factors, including room ventilation and filtration and face-mask use,” they said, noting that “face masks can be an extremely effective indoor safety measure."

Your definition of damning must differ greatly from mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

I tried to understand how that bracket works, and the only thing that I came up with is that it applies on my face and keeps the mask at a distance from mouth and nose, but this means that I would have this bracket touching my face, and I'd be back to square one, where I don't want anything touching my face.

as already stated, when given a possible solution you just move the goal post, fabric on
    mouth to plastic on face because you do not want a solution you just want a reason to moan. well to be fair you are skilled at being a moany hole.

Aph2016 wrote: »
    I for one will be discarding masks the first chance I get. It's all a little ridiculous at this point, box ticking exercise every time I go into a shop.

sure as long as you keep ticking the box what harm. i am old enough to remember seatbelts being taught of as just a box ticking exercise.

the seatbelts did not discriminate against those people who wore by choice, or those who the law forced into wearing them.

they offered some protection to all.

• Advertisement

Sparkey84 wrote: »
    as already stated, when given a possible solution you just move the goal post, fabric on
    mouth to plastic on face because you do not want a solution you just want a reason to moan. well to be fair you are skilled at being a moany hole.

Fabric on my mouth, plastic on my face, timber on my nose, they are all things that shouldn't be there, that's why I'm moaning.
    I'm not moving anything, everything that touches my face is a problem for me. When I wrote about the fabric on my mouth was because it was the first thing I had in my mind, because in that moment I had the mask collapsing in my mouth.
    What is it so hard to understand? I just don't want anything on my face. Full stop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There were studies a year ago showing that indoor ventilation could massively affect transmission. With people pre lockdown in restaurants in Korea and people on the same or next table as the infected person not being affected, but people on the far side of the restaurant being infected due to the direction that air conditioning units were sending the airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Aph2016 wrote: »

It's a social pressure thing. It's got f-all to do with a virus. Walk the back halls of any hospital in the country and nobody is wearing them. It's all for show in front of the general public. Absolute scam but these mask manufacturer and suppliers need that cash.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's a social pressure thing. It's got f-all to do with a virus. Walk the back halls of any hospital in the country and nobody is wearing them. It's all for show in front of the general public. Absolute scam but these mask manufacturer and suppliers need that cash.

So you think that mask manufacturers are putting pressure on governments for requirements for mask wearing? How does that work for people who have made their own, are they getting pressured to buy only authorised models?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

A mask gives me stress as much as any other uncomfortable situation that I have to stand for a prolonged time against my will.

It's your will that is causing you stress, not the mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's your will that is causing you stress, not the mask.

Nailed it there. Just give up your free will and life will be so much easier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I was on a bus tonight-literally the only person not wearing a mask out of about 30-and every single window upstairs and down was closed until I opened the one beside me. I must assume that it's masked people closing them through the day despite the prominent signs and the supposed evidence that it's the more important action to prevent transmission. This is a clear a sign as you'll get that the public are only conforming to the social convention and not wanting to stand out rather than fear of illness or logically following the "science."

• Registered Users Posts: 29,948 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

sabat wrote: »
    I was on a bus tonight-literally the only person not wearing a mask out of about 30-and every single window upstairs and down was closed until I opened the one beside me. I must assume that it's masked people closing them through the day despite the prominent signs and the supposed evidence that it's the more important action to prevent transmission. This is a clear a sign as you'll get that the public are only conforming to the social convention and not wanting to stand out rather than fear of illness or logically following the "science."

You dont know who closed the windows.
    Your post is simply not credible on any level.

There were people wearing masks before they were a requirement.
    People opened and shut windows on buses pre covid. It wasnt peer pressure that made people you didnt even see shutting a window do it.
    Your theory is bogus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

It's a social pressure thing. It's got f-all to do with a virus. .

It is a complete fraud.
    Nothing more than a comfort blanket to make the worried feel better and the state can laud the fact they are doing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Absolutely nothing to back up these claims, yet the same nonsense posted over and over. Well done.

• Advertisement

Fabric on my mouth, plastic on my face, timber on my nose, they are all things that shouldn't be there, that's why I'm moaning.
    I'm not moving anything, everything that touches my face is a problem for me. When I wrote about the fabric on my mouth was because it was the first thing I had in my mind, because in that moment I had the mask collapsing in my mouth.
    What is it so hard to understand? I just don't want anything on my face. Full stop.

i would consider plastic on nose as different than fabric on mouth. millions of people wear glasses resting on their nose. without big issue,

but at the end of the day it is your face, if you have such an irrational hatred of masks that's fine, you are entitled to your opinion.

please be honest though, and present it as your opinion and stop trying to say that masks are ineffective just to justify your hatred of them. loads of good quality factual based evidence linked in this thread to contradict you.

Wondering if they have ever worn a scarf, or zipped their coat right up to the top and pulled the hood down to keep the wind and rain out, or hidden under their duvet, or used a hanky, or worn a hat that's a bit too big, or safety goggles in science class in school, etc...

i do walk the back corridors of a hospital and can assure you a maskless face is a rare sight. you are 100% wrong on that point.

you do make one valid point (possibly by accident)

social convention is a real part of public health. but that is not a bad thing, some people wear seatbelts because of an informed decision and a belief that it will improve their safety. others would never wear a seatbelt, only for the risk of being fined (social convention).

we must have a law about seatbelts because some people would be to stupid to make the decision to wear seatbelts themselves. that is social convention in action, saving the lives of those stupid people.

i do walk the back corridors of a hospital and can assure you a maskless face is a rare sight. you are 100% wrong on that point.

you do make one valid point (possibly by accident)

social convention is a real part of public health. but that is not a bad thing, some people wear seatbelts because of an informed decision and a belief that it will improve their safety. others would never wear a seatbelt, only for the risk of being fined (social convention).

we must have a law about seatbelts because some people would be to stupid to make the decision to wear seatbelts themselves. that is social convention in action, saving the lives of those stupid people.

Saving the lives of the stupid people, and also those who they share a car with. You don't want to be in a crash in the same vehicle as someone else not wearing a seat belt as their body flying around the car will potentially injure/ kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

paw patrol wrote: »
    It is a complete fraud.
    Nothing more than a comfort blanket to make the worried feel better and the state can laud the fact they are doing something.

You'll get better traction in the conspiracy theories forum. They eat up the kind of nonsense you are producing.

Sconsey wrote: »
    You'll get better traction in the conspiracy theories forum. They eat up the kind of nonsense you are producing.

that's cute. Assuming you are correct about that forum- why would i preach to the choir? no fun in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

paw patrol wrote: »
    that's cute. Assuming you are correct about that forum- why would i preach to the choir? no fun in that.

So you're trolling?

stop trying to say that masks are ineffective just to justify your hatred of them

Where did I say that? Please, quote a message of mine where I used those words.

robinph wrote: »
    Wondering if they have ever worn a scarf

Around my neck only, but last time was years ago. It hasn't been that cold lately.
    or zipped their coat right up to the top

The zip gets at my neck, not my face.
    and pulled the hood down to keep the wind and rain out

I hate hoods and the likes.
    or hidden under their duvet

My head and face are always out duvets or blankets.
    or used a hanky

What does that mean? A hanky is just for 5 seconds, not 10 hours.
    or worn a hat that's a bit too big

Same as hoods applies.
    or safety goggles in science class in school, etc...

Never had them.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    So you're trolling?

nope , my belief is sincere.
    I meant no point arguing the toss over masks in a thread/forum where they all agree. unless I get the horn for "likes".
    Likes are nice but i'm really here for robust debate.

Advertisement