Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7680614/

RETRACTED: Facemasks in the COVID-19 era: A health hypothesis

The Editorial Committee concluded that the author’s hypothesis is misleading on the following basis:

1. A broader review of existing scientific evidence clearly shows that approved masks with correct certification, and worn in compliance with guidelines, are an effective prevention of COVID-19 transmission.

2. The manuscript misquotes and selectively cites published papers. References #16, 17, 25 and 26 are all misquoted.

3. Table 1. Physiological and Psychological Effects of Wearing Facemask and Their Potential Health Consequences, generated by the author. All data in the table is unverified, and there are several speculative statements.

4. The author submitted that he is currently affiliated to Stanford University, and VA Palo Alto Health Care System. However, both institutions have confirmed that Dr Vainshelboim ended his connection with them in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Seanergy wrote: »

He's been saying it since last March and now is releasing this as the pandemic winds down. Brilliant. 8 weeks of torture I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Graham wrote: »
    When you're able to spit, sneeze or spray through a cloth mask you may have an argument.

If Covid molecules were the same size as spit, sneeze or spray we'd be able to physically dodge it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Fandymo wrote: »
    If Covid molecules were the same size as spit, sneeze or spray we'd be able to physically dodge it. :rolleyes:

Tell me more about these "Covid molecules". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Lumen wrote: »
    Tell me more about these "Covid molecules". :D

You know what I meant, I just couldn't think of the correct descriptor. You can physically see spit, sneeze and spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You know what I meant, I just couldn't think of the correct descriptor. You can physically see spit, sneeze and spray.

Particles!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Sparkey84

you may be able to see those things but you will not see the covid 19 "molecules"🀣 that are contained within. there can still be there though

Anyone know if this all began because the youths were thrown off for not masking?

https://twitter.com/gloverstweets/status/1391453191842242563

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Was great watching the golf this weekend with virtually no masks amongst the spectators.

1317168694.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Article about people who may choose to wear masks long after this is over. Their personal issues are not COVID-related.
    She’s been fully vaccinated for three weeks, but Francesca, a 46-year-old professor, does not plan to abandon the face mask that she’s come to view as a kind of “invisibility cloak” just yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/10/the-people-who-want-to-keep-masking-its-like-an-invisibility-cloak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

While I used to be negative against the mask (echoes of balaclavas and bandits) think I might continue to wear the FMs when on public transport upcoming winter.....

is_that_so wrote: »
    Article about people who may choose to wear masks long after this is over. Their personal issues are not COVID-related.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/10/the-people-who-want-to-keep-masking-its-like-an-invisibility-cloak

Not all of them.

“I deal with anti-maskers constantly at work. They have threatened to hurt me, tried to get me fired, thrown things at me and yelled ‘**** you’ in my face. If wearing a mask in the park separates me from them, I’m cool with that.”

Not all of them.

“I deal with anti-maskers constantly at work. They have threatened to hurt me, tried to get me fired, thrown things at me and yelled ‘**** you’ in my face. If wearing a mask in the park separates me from them, I’m cool with that.”

That is an ingrained personal issue, exacerbated perhaps by COVID, but like the others, getting to the root of why they feel that way is the route to better mental health. Lest you imagine I'm demeaning them in any way I'm not. I think it is a sad situation they find themselves in.

That is an ingrained personal issue, exacerbated perhaps by COVID, but like the others, getting to the root of why they feel that way is the route to better mental health. Lest you imagine I'm demeaning them in any way I'm not. I think it is a sad situation they find themselves in.

The reason is clearly stated.

Anti-maskers threatened to hurt me, tried to get me fired, thrown things at me and yelled ‘**** you’ in my face.

The reason is clearly stated.

Anti-maskers threatened to hurt me, tried to get me fired, thrown things at me and yelled ‘**** you’ in my face.
    Sure, but that's a bad workplace. They need to ask themselves if wearing a mask is really a long-term solution to the issues they have with co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Sure, but that's a bad workplace. They need to ask themselves if wearing a mask is really a long-term solution to the issues they have with co-workers.

Think in that case it was customers attacking that person.

Are you baffled by their behaviour to take a moment, after a tough year, particulary if you have been bullied by anti-maskers whilst at work.

This article is not so slanted.

People Aren’t ‘Addicted’ to Wearing Masks, They’re Traumatized. There’s a glaring omission from the discussion about why some “can’t quit” pandemic behaviors: the mental and emotional toll of the last year.

"People who never adopted COVID-19 measures strictly in the first place might also have an easier time letting them go, which could be another reason why they seem baffled at the difficulty others are having breaking their habits"

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93yye8/pandemic-safety-mask-lockdown-cant-quit-grief-trauma-anxiety

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Graham wrote: »
    When you're able to spit, sneeze or spray through a cloth mask you may have an argument.

Put on a mask, say surgical one or any of the type mostly in use here and go to walk in freezer. Then you will see how vapor escape masks which very well may contain virus simply due to the fact that even the best of N95 mask do have 0.3 micron holes while virus is 5-10x smaller.
    These masks aren’t helping others much and they certainly are not helping the people wearing them, who can suffer from pneumonia after bacteria builds up in the mouth and throat all day.
    Yes, they stop spit and sneeze to travel far but getting infected is rather a matter of the time you spend with someone with infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,948 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Put on a mask, say surgical one or any of the type mostly in use here and go to walk in freezer. Then you will see how vapor escape masks which very well may contain virus simply due to the fact that even the best of N95 mask do have 0.3 micron holes while virus is 5-10x smaller.
    These masks aren’t helping others much and they certainly are not helping the people wearing them, who can suffer from pneumonia after bacteria builds up in the mouth and throat all day.
    Yes, they stop spit and sneeze to travel far but getting infected is rather a matter of the time you spend with someone with infection.

Pneumonia... this is absolute nonsense utterly without foundation. Have dentists being suffering from pneumonia from wearing masks pre covid?
    Fake news invented by anti maskers.

Masks stop the droplets which carry the virus longer distances and protect it from dispersion and drying out.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Different countries, different rules.
    In NYC it seems you can drop the mask in open and uncrowded spaces if you are fully vaccinated.
    In Europe this doesn't seem the rule.

Anyway, like I had said in some previous post of mine, there will people who wil ldecide to wear the mask and keep distance from others even after the pandemic is declared over.
    If these measures worked during the pandemic to prevent the spreading of the disease, while shouldn't they work to prevent (or reduce the spreading of) any other pandemic in the future?

"People who never adopted COVID-19 measures strictly in the first place might also have an easier time letting them go, which could be another reason why they seem baffled at the difficulty others are having breaking their habits"

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93yye8/pandemic-safety-mask-lockdown-cant-quit-grief-trauma-anxiety

Part of this article seems to say that those who aren't adapting back to the previous lifestyle even when all restrictions are lifted are to blame.

Moreover the same article does not mention the fact that there are people who can't go back to their previous life, and that has nothing to do with fear, unexpressed grief for a lost person, having the covid. And this reason may be that the course of life has taken another path long time ago, and returning to the old path involves walking back a long way. Like when you take a new path at a Y-junction, then you realize this is the bad/wrong path only when you walked several miles... Would you walk back to the junction and take the other path, or continue on the path you're on?
    Some would walk on, because it's more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

What?

Are you baffled by their behaviour to take a moment, after a tough year, particulary if you have been bullied by anti-maskers whilst at work.

This article is not so slanted.

People Aren’t ‘Addicted’ to Wearing Masks, They’re Traumatized. There’s a glaring omission from the discussion about why some “can’t quit” pandemic behaviors: the mental and emotional toll of the last year.

There is no bafflement on my part. I actually do understand people wanting to continue wearing them for medical reasons but hiding behind them for other reasons leaves those issues unresolved and that is not healthy.

There is no bafflement on my part. I actually do understand people wanting to continue wearing them for medical reasons but hiding behind them for other reasons leaves those issues unresolved and that is not healthy.

Show me one anti-masker with unresolved isssues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭patnor1011

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Pneumonia... this is absolute nonsense utterly without foundation. Have dentists being suffering from pneumonia from wearing masks pre covid?
    Fake news invented by anti maskers.

Masks stop the droplets which carry the virus longer distances and protect it from dispersion and drying out.

The same nonsense as claiming dentists wearing masks extensively. You forgot to add surgeons or people who do sandblasting.
    Dentists are actually calling out extensive mask wearing as it leads to many future issues with your oral health.

Mask hardly allow drying out as when they get wet and you breath out harder due to that fact or god forbid that you sneeze virus accumulate and more pressure simply put more of it out. And if you are infected and walk around with a mask on you are definition of superspreader.
    Notto mention that when someone with thicker mask is talking his or her voice is muffled so you naturally come closer to understand hence more risk for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,948 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

patnor1011 wrote: »
    The same nonsense as claiming dentists wearing masks extensively. You forgot to add surgeons or people who do sandblasting.
    Dentists are actually calling out extensive mask wearing as it leads to many future issues with your oral health.

Mask hardly allow drying out as when they get wet and you breath out harder due to that fact or god forbid that you sneeze virus accumulate and more pressure simply put more of it out. And if you are infected and walk around with a mask on you are definition of superspreader.
    Notto mention that when someone with thicker mask is talking his or her voice is muffled so you naturally come closer to understand hence more risk for you.

We are still waiting to hear about all the dentists and other precovid professionals with pneumonia from masks. Can you close out one fabricated claim before shifting the goalposts to another exaggerated one about oral health. From pneumonia you are now reduced to bad breath as the mask danger is that it?

Dentists advise you to take these dramatic precautions to avoid dry mouth from breathing through your mouth when wearing mask...
    Take sips of water. Change mask if wet. Take breaks from mask wearing when outside.

God forbid you sneeze into a mask and walk around.
    Nary a word about the infected walking around without a mask and sneezing. No superspreading there. Nope. No mask no risk. Its only a risk cos of the mask.
    How did the virus spread before we started wearing masks you have to wonder.

If you believe this you'll believe anything.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,550 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Had my first proper interaction with a non-mask wearer in my lift today. He got in and I asked him if he could put one on, he responded by saying he is exempt and the building managers have a note and they know.

I have seen the same guy out for jogs and on his roller blades often, so whatever he is exempt for, my first instinct is to call bull**** on that one.

He also explained that he was more in danger from not wearing a mask over those who are, even though he can equally spread it to others himself.

I did this well to get this far without bumping into one, so I popped the cherry on that one I guess.

If these measures worked during the pandemic to prevent the spreading of the disease, while shouldn't they work to prevent (or reduce the spreading of) any other pandemic in the future?

Same old same old.

NPIs work, there is no IF.

• Advertisement

Same old same old.

NPIs work, there is no IF.

So let me rephrase it.
    Because these measures worked during the pandemic to prevent the spreading of the disease, while shouldn't they work to prevent (or reduce the spreading of) any other pandemic in the future?

Advertisement