Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

I found myself back in Poland this past weekend - and the mask issue was quite interesting. Although it's no longer required to wear a mask out doors, or while sitting outside having food or drink - about 10% of people still persisted in this behavior.

It was especially noticable in indoor but technically outdoor places like the one below where the guiness was rather nice.

YNO0PmO.jpg

I noticed this in many pub gardens and restaurants - with some groups of youngish people choosing to mask between sips of their drinks. I found it quite odd. No more than 10% in some places less.

More power to them though - its great that they are making such a visible reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Seanergy wrote: »
    Looks like the weekend is meant to shock her into the seriousness of the situation, she could end up getting the full 2 months.

Cork woman (66) jailed for weekend after refusing to wear a mask. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/cork-woman-66-jailed-for-weekend-after-refusing-to-wear-a-mask-1.4571444

“If she wants to be released [FROM CUSTODY)]she will have to put a mask on. I am concerned about her decision-making.”

The judge said that Ms Buttimer had turned up in the body of the court “without a mask, but worse still a smile on her face as if this is something to laugh about”.

I'd love to see the law that states she has to wear a mask. There will be serious compensation paid out on all of these cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

New data regarding children's immune system fighting off Covid from the Guardian:

In Brazil, over 2,200 children have died from Covid, including almost 1400 babies under the age of one.
    67,000 children hospitalised.

Not enough information yet to explain why that is the case, or if it is an indication of a general trend (variants).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

I'd love to see the law that states she has to wear a mask. There will be serious compensation paid out on all of these cases.

She was jailed for contempt of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I expect post pandemic people will wear masks on packed public transport for example, or if one has a cold/flu and is flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

With regard to the woman that would not wear a mask in the supermarket or in court, it is not acceptable for people like her to put those who are serving us in danger.

She deserved to go to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

But it's not mandatory (yet) to weak masks in courthouses or any government buildings, only advisory.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

The "jailed Granny" thread was closed, not sure why?
    But carrying on from that thread :rolleyes:
    Smee_Again wrote: »
    She was asked by the manager if she had a medical exemption.

Is this even "legal" though? It's akin to asking somebody if they have a valid reason to be using a disabled toilet, or be parking in a disabled parking bay. Many "disabilities" are invisible and sometimes embarrassing.

Yes, the conversation (if it had to happen) should have gone along the lines of, "You need to be wearing a mask to shop in here". Customer, "I'm exempt".
    Move along, nothing to see here.

If someone's not wearing a mask in an environment where they're mandated then I personally assume that the person is exempt. I wouldn't ask them about their personal (and private) health status.

What is the guidance/law for retail workers in these situations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

20210515_151247.jpg

protestor-is-saying-no-to-foreign-games-but-is-wearing-glasgow-celtic-picture-id832819966

What has a photoshopped pic of a lad in a Celtic top got to do with masks??

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

ebbsy wrote: »
    With regard to the woman that would not wear a mask in the supermarket or in court, it is not acceptable for people like her to put those who are serving us in danger.

She deserved to go to jail.

She has a bare faced cheek.

• Advertisement

I don't think it is a legal issue, it is a moral issue, do i want to put other people in danger by not wearing a mask ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    I found myself back in Poland this past weekend - and the mask issue was quite interesting. Although it's no longer required to wear a mask out doors, or while sitting outside having food or drink - about 10% of people still persisted in this behavior.

I keep telling this.
    Wearing a mask will be something people won't totally drop, even in a few years. Or probably never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Or brave parents using kids to promote whatever it is, behind placards.

So brave.

And yes some kids definitely know more.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Aren't you the brave fellow throwing women and kids as missiles when you obviously have no concern for whether they live or die.

Yeah, we should strop vaccinating kids full stop and let them die of measles and TB. Do you think kids should know whether to take those vaccines? Do you think they've done extensive research on immune system v vaccines offered?
    No, when you're a kid you think you are immortal.
    We had lots of dead kids before modern medicine.
    I guess they didn't rely on their immune system enough?
    Do you think the invention of soap was a backwards step?
    I guess we should still be relying on our immune system.

What absolute anti-vax anti-mask morally and intellectually bankrupt nonsense. It's medieval garbage.
    Don't wash. Don't have a bath. Don't need clean water. Otherwise you're weak and didn't rely on your immune system.

its' not be answered (to my knowledge) what are the implications to the immune system of constant hand sanitised?
    We all know some dirt/germs are required - a big reason why outdoor play for kids is so important.
    But you're right , its' an antiqued system anyway only luddities would even consider their immune system.

"Bill Gates Magic Juice" is so modern and what all the cool kids are into.

It's been a over a year, and some people have still not caught on to the fact that masks are not there to protect the wearer, but to protect others.

Yes, the immune system of most kids can fight off Covid.

But their immune system cannot protect others. The immune system does not prevent transmission. Transmission to the friend of a friend who receives chemo. Or has an autoimmune disease.

Refusing to participate in the protection of the weakest in society is antisocial.

The placards said mandatory. You (plural) can't read - so incensed that somebody thinks differently to you that you must vomit out your bluster.:pac:

anybody at risk or who wants should get vaccinated , that will protect you.
    actually look at who is at risk not who you think is at risk.

paw patrol wrote: »
    You (plural) can't read - so incensed that somebody thinks differently to you that you must vomit out your bluster.:pac:

The most common technique if someone cannot argue on facts - revert to personal attacks.

anybody at risk or who wants should get vaccinated , that will protect you.
    actually look at who is at risk not who you think is at risk.

I mentioned people with autoimmune diseases and people receiving chemo specifically because these are groups of people who cannot be vaccinated.

The issue is not only the callousness of refusing to protect the weakest.

If you follow through on the "let the kids' immune system do the work" argument, it implies "let's weed out the weakest kids - if their immune system can't cope, why should they live?". This type of attitude that was popular in certain parts of Europe between 1933 and 1945.

I keep telling this.
    Wearing a mask will be something people won't totally drop, even in a few years. Or probably never.

There are countries, like Japan, where people have been wearing face masks in public for years.

All totally undramatic. Before American Covid deniers politicised it.

The most common technique if someone cannot argue on facts - revert to personal attacks.

That point is made often but tbh it's not true. It's just some internet mantra

To accept your criticism would mean no digs are permitted ever which would make it boring and yet you haven't given my detractors and shade for their disparaging comments on me.
    Imagine my confusion on seeing your noble statement above?
    I mentioned people with autoimmune diseases and people receiving chemo specifically because these are groups of people who cannot be vaccinated.

The issue is not only the callousness of refusing to protect the weakest.

If you follow through on the "let the kids' immune system do the work" argument, it implies "let's weed out the weakest kids - if their immune system can't cope, why should they live?". This type of attitude that was popular in certain parts of Europe between 1933 and 1945.

That's some leap tbh.
    I'm not sure how to argue with such hyperbole but I'm a fair man....

You are attempting to guilt somebody reluctant to take a vaccine using the health of others as your stick , actually you've used nothing more than the tired emotional argument of the "granny killer" dig of the last year.
    It's nothing but a guilt trip with added nazism for effect.

nearly all your argument isn't true anyway

cancer patients can't have live vaccines but Covid vaccine isn't live.
    If they want it they can have it.
    don't believe me - go look yourself.

I didn't know about autoimmune tbh it's not something I'm aware of.
    So I consulted the CDC (I hope you approve of them as a source)

to quote.
    People with autoimmune conditions may receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

your argument is getting weaker.....

Of course, i'm not saying EVERY single person can take it but your argument of saying I wish to kill these cohorts is unpleasant and untrue. Even if your argument was true the numbers don't stack up - I couldn't even if I wanted too . Most of them can take it if they want - Their choice, consent and all that good stuff. According to some on boards consent only applies when the cause is the "right" one.

so here we are....demanding I inject myself (and the kids) with something I have no desire to take that will alter my body (for good or bad - isn't the argument) for a really small group in society that will we may never even meet not mind infect.

I don't buy your argument and it's just a guilt trip for those who want to go their own way.
    Collectivism at its finest if I say so.

bananas stuff.

It's nothing but a guilt trip with added nazism for effect.

If you look at the demographics of Covid protests, you will find that neonazis are a significant percentage of the protesters.

If you look at the demographics of Covid protests, you will find that neonazis are a significant percentage of the protesters.

Sounds like you've fallen for the old RTE Kool aid. Didn't see many skinheads at the marches myself.

nice tangent with added refusal to address my point.
    and you question why people resort to quick cheap digs when that's the response you're going to get. Do you not have an argument and i defeated all your points?:pac:

There is no need to get personal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Donnelly suggesting we could have masks for most of the rest of the year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0524/1223577-ireland-covid-vaccines/

• Advertisement

There is a guy protesting about masks and vaccine passports in Kildare Town centre right now.

Weirdo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

is_that_so wrote: »
    Donnelly suggesting we could have masks for most of the rest of the year.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0524/1223577-ireland-covid-vaccines/

I can't see any reason to keep masks or social distancing once everyone is vaccinated (which should be by September).

What does it achieve after that? What will change in 2022? You can't be more vaccinated than fully vaccinated. I understand why masks are needed in a pandemic but I am completely against them as some sort of long-term behaviour change. Of course if people want to continue wearing masks that's their decision but it shouldn't be forced on people.

Sounds like you've fallen for the old RTE Kool aid. Didn't see many skinheads at the marches myself.

I don't have a telly, don't watch RTE.

I was referring to international protests, like in Germany and in the UK. In general, issues with Neonazis here in Ireland are still much less relevant.

But the narratives they propagate are everywhere. I've spoken to people in the past who were not shy to suggest that newborns with disabilities should be euthanised.

This is, obviously, too radical for most rational people. So the advocates of these attitudes water it down, make it sound more harmless. Wrap it into points that sound reasonable, as long as you don't think too hard about it.

And it's not only neonazis. The narrative of some Americans that 'if god wants my child to die, I should let it die, not vaccinate it' is too radical for most people, but wrapping it into other narratives that sound more harmless is an excellent tool to radicalise people, and get them on the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

250 euro fine for that Granny not wearing the mask is not enough. It should have 2500 euro. Then people will wear there masks. I have seen a lot of people in the shops recently either not wearing a mask or wearing them wrong. Sure fine for her she might have got the vaccine but lots of us don't yet and nor do we want to get Covid. So for now people just please wear your masks and wear them right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    250 euro fine for that Granny not wearing the mask is not enough. It should have 2500 euro. Then people will wear there masks. I have seen a lot of people in the shops recently either not wearing a mask or wearing them wrong. Sure fine for her she might have got the vaccine but lots of us don't yet and nor do we want to get Covid. So for now people just please wear your masks and wear them right.

Pity she didn't get a whopping jail sentence.

Stupid gob****e.

Loon of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,450 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

AMKC wrote: »

I wonder how she was still left into court without :confused: protest support and all for her on VM news

ebbsy wrote: »
    Pity she didn't get a whopping jail sentence.

Stupid gob****e.

Loon of the week.

how long would you give her ?

you must be in some panic 24/7 if you are wanting people jailed because you aren't protected from them by a piece of fabric.
    or is it that she doesn't believe what you believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Judge was way too lenient and simply passed the buck for the now, probably did not want to get involved in a landmark case and I don't mean about masks. This case is about GOD.

What do you do with somone who refuses to recognize the law of the land? By her beliefs she can be raped, mugged or have her friends and family slaughtered in front of her and the culprit can walk around freely and repeat offend as they are only answerble to GOD. She would have to be happy with that, keep her smile about her.

Judge should have questioned/discussed GOD and accountability more with her.

Poor judgement.

how long would you give her ?

you must be in some panic 24/7 if you are wanting people jailed because you aren't protected from them by a piece of fabric.
    or is it that she doesn't believe what you believe?

It's the cult of covid. If you don't strap a piece of cloth to your face you're automatically a killer. Nevermind the stats on how likely it actually is for this woman to transmit the virus to someone else, she's simply not complying and must be punished. All rational thinking goes out the window, no mask = psychotic killer when the psychotic ones are in fact the people foaming at the mouth to see a grandmother jailed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/supporters-cheer-cork-gran-gets-20666346

She sounds like a real nice lady.

"Ms Buttimer, who has an address at The Cottage, St Fintan's Road in Bandon, called the store manager an "asshole." "

Advertisement