Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,958 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's the cult of covid. If you don't strap a piece of cloth to your face you're automatically a killer. Nevermind the stats on how likely it actually is for this woman to transmit the virus to someone else, she's simply not complying and must be punished. All rational thinking goes out the window, no mask = psychotic killer when the psychotic ones are in fact the people foaming at the mouth to see a grandmother jailed.

If you don't wear a seat belt (just a piece of fabric), have an NCT or insurance disc (just a piece of paper) you can clock up penalty points, lose your licence, and eventually be jailed for driving without a licence.
    Never mind if you actually have a crash or the car is roadworthy or not.
    But the laws are there to protect others, as we need a means to flag potentially unsafe behaviour.

She's not complying with the laws put in place to protect others, there needs to be consequences for such actions.
    One doesn't need to be psychotic or foaming at the mouth to see that.
    As if that kind of ranting language impresses anyone.

Why does it matter she's a grandmother?
    Does this give some exemption from the laws of the land and let you do what you want?
    Then why do you trot out the line purely for some sort of sympathy effect when really it just shows the your argument has no basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you don't wear a seat belt (just a piece of fabric), have an NCT or insurance disc (just a piece of paper) you can clock up penalty points, lose your licence, and eventually be jailed for driving without a licence.
    Never mind if you actually have a crash or the car is roadworthy or not.
    But the laws are there to protect others, as we need a means to flag potentially unsafe behaviour.

the poster said " a whopping jail sentence" - see for yourself.
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Pity she didn't get a whopping jail sentence.

I don't recall anybody getting a jail sentence not mind a whopping one for the crimes against humanity that you listed. But feel free to point it to me..
    you ignore the valid point, that just cos something is the law (or worse) dreamt up by health and safety that it is actually reasonable.
    She's not complying with the laws put in place to protect others, there needs to be consequences for such actions.
    One doesn't need to be psychotic or foaming at the mouth to see that.
    As if that kind of ranting language impresses anyone.

the law created by FF and FG and their special brand of incompetence.
    Who are these law-men?

I'll quote Frederic Bastiat
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
    ― Frederic Bastiat, The Law

I've one shot at life - fcuked if I'm spending it under the yolk of Mehole and Leo and their plethora of un-elected goons.
    Why does it matter she's a grandmother?
    Does this give some exemption from the laws of the land and let you do what you want?
    Then why do you trot out the line purely for some sort of sympathy effect when really it just shows the your argument has no basis.

I guess people expect more respect for the elderly and treat them softer than the usual ne'er do well on front of the judge.
    not me though. the elderly are c8nts in the same proportion as the wider society - which is quite high . So I'll agree with you on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

But it's not mandatory (yet) to weak masks in courthouses or any government buildings, only advisory.

An instruction given in court by the presiding judge is mandotory.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

One of the most foolish points of the anti mask crowd is that they claim that science is no more than an opinion, which is equal to their own ignorant, uninformed opinion.

The whole point of science is that results are observable, measurable and reproducible.

It has nothing to do with belief. When you pick up a stone, and drop it, it always falls downward (> gravity, mass of the Earth is larger than the mass of the stone). You can repeat it a million times, the stone always falls downward, not upward. It does not matter what you believe, you can meditate and pray for the stone to fall upward 8 hours per day for 50 years, it will still fall downward. You can observe it, measure it, reproduce it. A dog can drop the stone, it will still fall downward.

To pretend that people state that the stone falls downward because of a cultish belief in gravity says more about the ignorance of the people making the statement - this is projection of their own mindset.

Now, just for completeness sake, here is one of the many scientific, peer reviewed studies that has measured, compared and confirmed the efficacy of masks for Covid transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

paw patrol wrote: »
    how long would you give her ?

you must be in some panic 24/7 if you are wanting people jailed because you aren't protected from them by a piece of fabric.
    or is it that she doesn't believe what you believe?

To say masks are useless is a bit stupid. Masks were never 100%. It reduces viral load that somebody else breathes so that they do not get it as bad.

Have you ever used an umbrella? The piece of fabric you hold over your head in the rain. It does a good job at keeping your face dry but the bottom half will still get wet. The umbrella does a good job at keeping the rain from your face. If you use a bigger one, (or N95), it does a better job. All umbrellas and masks have some benefit and does it's job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Went into Aldi yesterday for a quick bit of shopping, got to the till to pay and realized I never put on a mask. I think I forgot as it was so nice not been in panic with my face covered.

I didn't get any weird looks or people running away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rob316 wrote: »
    Went into Aldi yesterday for a quick bit of shopping, got to the till to pay and realized I never put on a mask. I think I forgot as it was so nice not been in panic with my face covered.

I didn't get any weird looks or people running away from me.
    Mostly people just ignore it, including the shop staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭rob316

is_that_so wrote: »
    Mostly people just ignore it, including the shop staff.

I have a small retail shop sure and I've told the staff not to engage anyone who doesn't want to wear one. Ain't up to them to police it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

One of the most foolish points of the anti mask crowd is that they claim that science is no more than an opinion, which is equal to their own ignorant, uninformed opinion.

The whole point of science is that results are observable, measurable and reproducible.

It has nothing to do with belief. When you pick up a stone, and drop it, it always falls downward (> gravity, mass of the Earth is larger than the mass of the stone). You can repeat it a million times, the stone always falls downward, not upward. It does not matter what you believe, you can meditate and pray for the stone to fall upward 8 hours per day for 50 years, it will still fall downward. You can observe it, measure it, reproduce it. A dog can drop the stone, it will still fall downward.

To pretend that people state that the stone falls downward because of a cultish belief in gravity says more about the ignorance of the people making the statement - this is projection of their own mindset.

Now, just for completeness sake, here is one of the many scientific, peer reviewed studies that has measured, compared and confirmed the efficacy of masks for Covid transmission.

Nice little rant there and good distraction. Literally nobody arguing against the science. People are asking questions of overreacting government and judges and the mob wanting this woman fined thousands and jailed for a very long time etc. That's what we're talking about. There absolutely should be a discussion on that but don't let that stop your little rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's the cult of covid. If you don't strap a piece of cloth to your face you're automatically a killer. Nevermind the stats on how likely it actually is for this woman to transmit the virus to someone else, she's simply not complying and must be punished. All rational thinking goes out the window, no mask = psychotic killer when the psychotic ones are in fact the people foaming at the mouth to see a grandmother jailed.

She is an adult isn't she? If she acts like muppet..oh well there are consequences.

• Advertisement

It's the cult of covid. If you don't strap a piece of cloth to your face you're automatically a killer. Nevermind the stats on how likely it actually is for this woman to transmit the virus to someone else

then...
    Literally nobody arguing against the science. .

ozbuk.jpg

Nice little rant there and good distraction. Literally nobody arguing against the science. People are asking questions of overreacting government and judges and the mob wanting this woman fined thousands and jailed for a very long time etc. That's what we're talking about. There absolutely should be a discussion on that but don't let that stop your little rants.

Yeah, you "ask questions" of the science but "literally nobody arguing against the science."
    Everyone else who posts an opposing view is having a "nice little rant".
    Yeah.
    That's how threadbare your argument is you have to resort to debating tricks like this to bolster your argument.

There is no over-reacting government here.
    There is no mob.
    You can't go into a court room and defy the law of the land - which is a democracy and thumb your nose against the lawful appointed judge.
    Even if you disagree with the law.

The person in questions repeatedly ignored the mandates and abused the person legally entitled to challenge her for not wearing a mask.
    She then treated the court with contempt.
    So she should be punished to the full extent of the law, regardless of how many grandchildren she has, as if that should matter a damn.

The government is following the scientific guidance in mandating masks in enclosed public places. Masks are recommended by the most respected health authorities in the world. Many other jurisdictions have similar mandates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

There are countries, like Japan, where people have been wearing face masks in public for years.

All totally undramatic. Before American Covid deniers politicised it.

Nobody has an issue with wearing masks. Let people wear masks to their heart's content.

It only becomes 'dramatic' when some people want to make them mandatory for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

To say masks are useless is a bit stupid. Masks were never 100%. It reduces viral load that somebody else breathes so that they do not get it as bad.

Have you ever used an umbrella? The piece of fabric you hold over your head in the rain. It does a good job at keeping your face dry but the bottom half will still get wet. The umbrella does a good job at keeping the rain from your face. If you use a bigger one, (or N95), it does a better job. All umbrellas and masks have some benefit and does it's job.

I've actually never had an umbrella much to my wife annoyance.
    of all the examples to choose :pac:

Masks are a load of b9llocks and only there to offer comfort to people .
    The effect is negligible cos you've to factor in human behaviour that is often involuntary like touch face/eyes or eating your muffin while shopping.

you bring up N95 but in my previous posts I have clarified a position on them.
    People aren't using n95 masks so to argue that is a different debate.
    BTW I have a stash of N95 from when we thought covid was a killer virus (Feb 2020)

I read a study from UK that said there was reduction of transmission (not covid - think was flu but viral so it's apt) in a house when one person was sick where they all wore masks,
    Thats great news. But then the study found that the 19% went to zero once the mask was removed/moved even once. therein is the crux.

If it was so conclusive why are proper scientists like Carl Heneghan says there is no proof. He isn't a political hack or administrator like Dr Tony or Fauci but a real scientist. Of course you can hit me with other scientists who say otherwise....so science disagrees....which brings me to the next point.....

The dope above - who refused to reply when I pointed out his thoughts on cancer patients not being able to take the vaccine was false - says that science is proven. science is always evolving and anybody who says otherwise isn't talking about science. we can clearly see here very eminent scientists saying masks are ineffective but they are ignored....
    why? why is one scientist more worthy than another...
    cos of the message and people are scared due to the hysteria,.

Mod: One week forum ban for the personal abuse and an overall shocking record on the forum

Just on the subject of Carl Heneghan and masks, his testimony before various government committees has been disingenuous at best.

For example, there are studies quoted by Heneghan that have nothing to do with the use of masks as barriers.
    The cloth covering study was in relation to their use as PPE by hospital cleaning staff.
    The other study was in relation to caring for a sick person in your own house 24-7.
    To cite them in relation to the use of masks as barriers in public settings is nonsense.

They are already rebuttals from some of Heneghans associates in his organisation challenging his view on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

BTW I have a stash of N95 from when we thought covid was a killer virus (Feb 2020)

So you have a stash of N95's since Feb2020 or maybe earlier that you didn't use because you deemed you were not going to be killed from this virus.

So when others were dying and masks were in short supply, you never once thought about sharing your stash(that you were not using) with people in need?

Why are you still holding onto them? Incase a variant gets nasty?

Nobody has an issue with wearing masks.

..then, right away in the next post:

Now, regarding the 'overreaching, oppressive, totally mean government' drama queen hand waving nonsense:

Covid is a global pandemic.

There are governments, like in Brazil and India, that do exactly the thing that the anti-mask crowd is asking for. With exactly the results that virologists and epidemiologists have predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

I've actually never had an umbrella much to my wife annoyance.
    of all the examples to choose :pac:

The effect is negligible cos you've to factor in human behaviour that is often involuntary like touch face/eyes or eating your muffin while shopping.

you bring up N95 but in my previous posts I have clarified a position on them.
    People aren't using n95 masks so to argue that is a different debate.

I read a study from UK that said there was reduction of transmission (not covid - think was flu but viral so it's apt) in a house when one person was sick where they all wore masks,
    Thats great news. But then the study found that the 19% went to zero once the mask was removed/moved even once. therein is the crux.

If it was so conclusive why are proper scientists like Carl Heneghan says there is no proof. He isn't a political hack or administrator like Dr Tony or Fauci but a real scientist. Of course you can hit me with other scientists who say otherwise....so science disagrees....which brings me to the next point.....

The dope above - who refused to reply when I pointed out his thoughts on cancer patients not being able to take the vaccine was false - says that science is proven. science is always evolving and anybody who says otherwise isn't talking about science. we can clearly see here very eminent scientists saying masks are ineffective but they are ignored....
    why? why is one scientist more worthy than another...
    cos of the message and people are scared due to the hysteria,.

Mod: One week forum ban for the personal abuse and an overall shocking record on the forum

Strange parallel there, umbrellas work in stopping rain droplets - even the finest mist, with a single layer of fabric, yet double and triple layer masks are a load of b....ks.

Regarding infectiousness:

A new study finds that children are just as infectious as grown ups when they catch Covid.

The highest level of infectiousness starts 2 days before the onset of symptoms, and lasts for about 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

railer201 wrote: »
    Strange parallel there, umbrellas work in stopping rain droplets - even the finest mist, with a single layer of fabric, yet double and triple layer masks are a load of b....ks.

Unless wind is involved.

• Advertisement

..then, right away in the next post:

Now, regarding the 'overreaching, oppressive, totally mean government' drama queen hand waving nonsense:

Covid is a global pandemic.

There are governments, like in Brazil and India, that do exactly the thing that the anti-mask crowd is asking for. With exactly the results that virologists and epidemiologists have predicted.

Like with 0.024% dying you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Ah not this old argument again. Some people have very short memory of what happens when that thing goes wild.

Yeah, the pyres in parking lots were not really real, like the whole pandemic is not really real.

The anti mask crowd not only denies science, they're in denial of reality.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Ah not this old argument again. Some people have very short memory of what happens when that thing goes wild.
    Yeah, the pyres in parking lots were not really real, like the whole pandemic is not really real.

The anti mask crowd not only denies science, they're in denial of reality.

Hold on there. That old argument is the percentage of the covid deaths over the population in India. Where allegedly it was let run rampant by stupid politicians and where we are now witnessing armageddon or something.

Are people really so far down the rabbit hole with covid that numbers and facts don't mean anything anymore? The only denial of science and facts I see comes from you guys who over all that virtue signalling clearly can no longer see the wood from the trees.

OK, let's go down the 'rabbit hole' of daily death figures in India, published by WHO. Here's the link. Daily deaths consistently over 3,000 for all of the month of May 2021.

The irony is that this is not caused by politicians actually listening to the whiny, bitchy narcissists who want to play the victim, by pretending that non-pharmaceutical measures to reduce virus spread somehow compromise their freedom.

It's caused by politicians not listening to anyone, and acting purely out of short sighted self interest.

India and Brazil are the worst cases. The ones where either the overall living conditions or the political circumstances or both led to unhindered spread. Thats what these countries are being accused of here anyway and yes I wouldnt dispute that.

In India 0.024% of the population died with or from covid and in Brazil its not quite ten times that. Over the course of the pandemic. 15 months.

Sorry but that just isn't the emergency situation that justifies what you euphemistically call 'non-pharmaceutical measures'. But our governments jumped at it and are now dragging their heels to let go of.

Fkn congratulations for applauding to that. You're such nice and lovely people. Every death is one too many. Lets wear masks forever just in case.

Guys, you've been had and I understand its hard to admit that to oneself and to others. But thats the reality. The numbers dont lie no matter what Claire Byrne and George Lee will tell you.

OK, let's go down the 'rabbit hole' of daily death figures in India, published by WHO. Here's the link. Daily deaths consistently over 3,000 for all of the month of May 2021.

The irony is that this is not caused by politicians actually listening to the whiny, bitchy narcissists who want to play the victim, by pretending that non-pharmaceutical measures to reduce virus spread somehow compromise their freedom.

It's caused by politicians not listening to anyone, and acting purely out of short sighted self interest.

India's cases have been declining rapidly - 50% since May 8th. Its why we don't hear so much about them any more.

You need to contact your local service center for an update patch you are running month old soundbytes.

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/05/dear-prudence-mask-coronavirus-fear-sex.html

For the last year, he has refused to take off his face mask, even when we are at home—just the two of us. This is true even now that he is fully vaccinated for the virus. He wears it to sleep, to do most of his bathroom activities, and, yes, even during lovemaking.

Its fair to say that some people have gone a bit mad over the whole masking thing

In the courts next week.

Leaving Cert student seeks court order allowing him to sit exams without mask.

He also seeks a declaration that the requirement to wear a mask during the examinations amounts to breach of his Constitutional Rights and rights under the European Convention on Human Rights.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40300214.html

• Advertisement

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/05/dear-prudence-mask-coronavirus-fear-sex.html

For the last year, he has refused to take off his face mask, even when we are at home—just the two of us. This is true even now that he is fully vaccinated for the virus. He wears it to sleep, to do most of his bathroom activities, and, yes, even during lovemaking.

Its fair to say that some people have gone a bit mad over the whole masking thing

Just sounds like he doesn't trust where his wife's mouth has been.

Dear Prudence seriously.

Advertisement