Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Mask wearing has completely stopped in my workplace. It was becoming less frequent day by day, then once it became clear that nobody cared everybody just stopped bothering about it.

Keeping our distance, hand cleaning, screens and antigen tests all continue to be used but the masks were never popular and no surprise that people dropped them first chance they got. I find it extremely hard to believe that in the wider population people actively like wearing the things.

If this happened in my workplace and I ended up catching covid, I would end up suing my employer for negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

If this happened in my workplace and I ended up catching covid, I would end up suing my employer for negligence.

That would be your right, but you wouldn't win. It would be impossible to prove where you caught the virus, beyond reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,975 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seen on the YLYL thread... seems apt:

bj6ybel.jpgl

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Mask wearing has completely stopped in my workplace. It was becoming less frequent day by day, then once it became clear that nobody cared everybody just stopped bothering about it.

Keeping our distance, hand cleaning, screens and antigen tests all continue to be used but the masks were never popular and no surprise that people dropped them first chance they got. I find it extremely hard to believe that in the wider population people actively like wearing the things.

Why stop there? Looks like you are claiming a group have decided themselves to ignore the mask mandate. What happens if another group decide to stop distancing or cleaning their hands? does that make them right? is it suddenly a good idea?

Just because a small (or perhaps imaginary) group have decided to ignore common sense does not make it sensible/smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When are nphet going to say it's ok to take off masks?
    My guess is they will never say it. It's up to individuals now to stop the charade.

They'll be back every winter looking for Mask Wearing. That stuff is here to stay.

I actually don't mind it on the bus because people smell. But as somebody who has worked retail during the pandemic and having to wear it for 8 hours a day plus another 2 commuting, it's very very tiresome. And people who make these decisions are pen pushers in nice offices who of course don't wear a mask for 10 hours a day in a minimum wage job, where you are covering 20k steps a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Who in the right mind likes to wear face masks?

Working and sweating all day and having to wear a face mask as well?

No one likes it. But maybe we see the benefit of wearing masks. To help with limiting transmission. Not to be responsible for increasing covid cases and close businesses again.

There are a lot of people with self esteem issues that like the masks.
    https://japantoday.com/category/features/lifestyle/more-japanese-youth-wearing-surgical-masks-to-hide-their-face

This was before covid, so there is no bias in it.

It might be hard for the likes of us to understand but there are a lot of people who just feel ugly and people are staring at their uglyness. Where the reality is, nobody gives a ****.

I can understand people who have reformative scarring on their face and stuff. I reckon they could be dreading the end of mask wearing, and I totally understand that. But normal looking people who feel ugly can **** off.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,249 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That would be your right, but you wouldn't win. It would be impossible to prove where you caught the virus, beyond reasonable doubt.
    The threshold for a civil case is balance of probabilities. I suspect employers would generally be very cautious and not be seen to accepting non-mask wearing. Look at the building sites and warnings about helmets, hi-viz and the like. Companies must take care to protect their employees and in the current situation I would expect them to be insisting on mask wearing in common areas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does anyone like using hand sanitiser? Or being antigen tested?
    Those things don't hurt social interaction so nobody cares about them in the same way they feel about face coverings.

Do they like them? Who knows, who cares.

Good luck with that.

Those things don't hurt social interaction so nobody cares about them in the same way they feel about face coverings. Do they like them? Who knows, who cares.

Strange response.

This was your post:
    "the masks were never popular"
    "I find it extremely hard to believe that in the wider population people actively like wearing the things."

Is hand sanitising 'popular'? Antigen testing?
    These are your words not mine, but you seem to assign no importance to them so why should anyone else.

Anyone who thinks hand sanitising is more important than face coverings in a respiratory virus outbreak doesn't know what they are doing.
    Antigen testing is a whole other discussion.

Not sure how masks are hurting social interactions. You can't have a conversation? Rubbish.
    Now If I was asked to come into the office, to wear a mask while trying to have a conversation on the phone I could just as easily have at home I'd be questioning why I was in the office not why I was wearing a mask.

Strange response.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

You asked a question, I answered it, now you seem to have went off in ten different directions.

People don't care about hand sanitizing or weekly testing in the same way they care about covering their face. There is no commentary there, thats just reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Mask wearing has completely stopped in my workplace.

In the workplace there are some immediate requirements that leave little room for personal choice/feelings.

Employers have to enforce the Regulations or face fines and/or closure.

Your employer should have a face Mask policy, outlining to staff that the business requires the wearing of masks and the consequences of non-compliance.

Did you need help having a face Mask policy drafted?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Time to ditch face masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

They'll be back every winter looking for Mask Wearing. That stuff is here to stay.

I actually don't mind it on the bus because people smell. But as somebody who has worked retail during the pandemic and having to wear it for 8 hours a day plus another 2 commuting, it's very very tiresome. And people who make these decisions are pen pushers in nice offices who of course don't wear a mask for 10 hours a day in a minimum wage job, where you are covering 20k steps a day.

I'll raise you, 12 hours a day shift work, 40,000 steps on average.

I'm beyond over it.

Seanergy wrote: »

Did you need help having a face Mask policy drafted?

Sure, would you draft one up for us? That would be swell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Sure, would you draft one up for us? That would be swell!

No problem, I just need to know your employer's address.

Seanergy wrote: »
    No problem, I just need to know your employer's address.

Asking for posters personal information is creepy and inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Also, shops & buses won't know who is and isn't vaccinated so prudent thing is to still require masks.

This condition could last forever, there will always be someone who isn't vaccinated, and nobody knows who is and who isn't, so the masks could be required forever in busy spaces.

Gortanna wrote: »
    A large majority of people want masks to continue to be mandatory even when most people have been vaccinated: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/irish-times-poll-public-split-on-pace-of-lifting-covid-19-restrictions-1.4596630

I genuinely believe that masks are popular in Ireland. People appear to enjoy wearing them.

Lots of people love them, and I doubt the masks will definitely dropped even in a decade.

Who in the right mind likes to wear face masks?

Working and sweating all day and having to wear a face mask as well?

No one likes it. But maybe we see the benefit of wearing masks. To help with limiting transmission. Not to be responsible for increasing covid cases and close businesses again.

I know many people who wear the mask in their cars, alone, or in their homes, sometimes alone too, in other situations when they clearly never meet anyone. Despite this, they still wear a mask, and when you ask them why they answer they feel good and it isn't a problem for them.

So yes, someone likes to wear them.

I know many people who wear the mask in their cars, alone, or in their homes, sometimes alone too, in other situations when they clearly never meet anyone. Despite this, they still wear a mask, and when you ask them why they answer they feel good and it isn't a problem for them.

Are you saying you stop cars to ask why they are wearing a mask on their own? Or if you see someone in the window if their house but don't see others around them, you presume they are on their own and you have to go ask them why they are wearing a mask on their own in their own houe?

That's just odd behaviour on your part but I think you're lying. Masks are not a fetish. You don't know the circumstances of someone and why they are wearing a face mask.

I live 5 minutes from a shop, I put on my face mask at home and walk to the shop on my own. What is wrong with that? I know I have clean hands when putting on the face mask.

Someone else driving in their car on their own, they could be after dropping someone off or going to pick up someone. Saves them from fiddling with their mask with dirty hands. What is so wrong with that?

But you presume it's a fetish for these people?

• Advertisement

People can wear masks for reasons that have nothing to do with covid - for hay fever, home cleaning etc, on isolated beaches as blockers to sand, wind etc.

I'll raise you, 12 hours a day shift work, 40,000 steps on average.

I'm beyond over it.

What about hand hygeine, distancing, covering your mouth when coughing? I guess it's ok if they are 'beyond over it' too?

Are you saying you stop cars to ask why they are wearing a mask on their own? Or if you see someone in the window if their house but don't see others around them, you presume they are on their own and you have to go ask them why they are wearing a mask on their own in their own houe?

Doesn't the fact that I might know them all and asked them why cross your mind?
    That's just odd behaviour on your part but I think you're lying. Masks are not a fetish. You don't know the circumstances of someone and why they are wearing a face mask.

You call me liar without even knowing the backgrounds of my statements? Good.
    Masks can be a fetish. I know people in the US and they told me that in NYC, for instance, wearing a mask is virtue signalling, so the mask is very close to being a fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

The worst I've seen is someone in the countryside wearing a mask in the garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

SnuggyBear wrote: »

Maybe it was a high pollen day.

The worst I've seen is people on here declaring they will no longer follow the safety guidance simply because others in their workplace are not, or because they are 'beyond over it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Sconsey wrote: »
    The worst I've seen is people on here declaring they will no longer follow the safety guidance simply because others in their workplace are not, or because they are 'beyond over it'.

Ah go away with your useless masks, people are sick of them.

Doesn't the fact that I might know them all and asked them why cross your mind?

You call me liar without even knowing the backgrounds of my statements? Good.
    Masks can be a fetish. I know people in the US and they told me that in NYC, for instance, wearing a mask is virtue signalling, so the mask is very close to being a fetish.

Do you ask them why they wear a coat and shoes as well?

To be honest, if someone asked me why I wear a mask on my own, I would find that very annoying because it's none of their business. It is a very nosy question to ask and if you don't ask them why they wear other types of clothing as well, they know full well face masks bother you and I would actually feed a nosy person like you and tell you I love wearing masks as well.

Did it ever cross your mind they wear a mask for all the stopping and talking they do?

Ah go away with your useless masks, people are sick of them.

Weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Those things don't hurt social interaction so nobody cares about them in the same way they feel about face coverings.

Do they like them? Who knows, who cares.

Good luck with that.

Given that much of this discussion is not so much about the physical facecovering itself,but instead focusing on why People won't do what they are TOLD,we can safely say that actual Covid19 itself no longer figures greatly in peoples mindset.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/0814b13a2f2b4458a36105502c8e92e8

With 4,729,534 tests carried out,resulting in 262,899 Positives representing a TOTAL positivity rate of 5.6%.

Our death rates remain remarkably static in the low 30,000's per anum,with 2020 showing a 2% uptick.

https://data.cso.ie/

The table VSA03 gives a breakdown by year back to 1989.

The general thrust of this thread appears to strongly favour the permanent suspension of individual freedoms in greater collective society.

Whilst these suspensions initially came about via the Emergency Provisions of the Health Acts 1947,it would now appear that this thread's contributors have a preference for making these suspensions permanent,by whatever means necessary.

Perhaps the anonymity of a Facecovering allows the previously meek to become strident and demanding,as well as pointing to a virtue level conspicious in the wearing of such devices,with the attendant bonus of being able to point accusatory fingers at those preferring a more "normal" approach to life itself.

Whatever one's approach,the Facecovering issue is probably the most visible of a number of major societal conflicts unheard of before Wuhan.

;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement