Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

GT89 wrote: »
    lot's people aren't wearing masks properly anyway.

Most are. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Graham wrote: »
    Most are. :)

So if most are why do people still complain?

Most of the complaints about masks come from the same 3 posters, all about having to wear them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Because they are ****ing idiots?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Most bus drivers are idiots then.
    If they let anyone on without paying where do they think their wages gonna come from.
    Oh wait that would require them to think.

Apparently it is power happy for someone providing a service to expect people to you know pay for it...
    You can write this stuff but dont expect it to convince anyone with half a brain.

They are paid for by the state it is subsidised. Bus services generally don't make money thought most people knew that.

• Advertisement

Because they are ****ing idiots?

So is the poster who posted this post which you thanked a "****ing idiot" also to use your your words
    AMKC wrote:
    There really is some thick people out there.so I was on the bus this evening a short journey thankfully. In fact I was waiting longer for the bus than the time I was on ih bug that's another story. Anyway I seen the bus coming and but on my mask. Hot on the bus driver not wearing a mask but does have a shield between him and passengers still I would prefer if he was wearing a mask. Anyway I got on the bus played and walked down the aisle. Most people in fact all seemed to have there makes on. It was only when I sat down I seen there was a thick stupid idiot two seats up from me who was half wearing his mask. I wanted to say something but did not. Next time I see this I know what I will say. Any thf thick idiot got off before my and where to but an Aldi still wearing his mask below his nose. I can not even comprehend how one can be so stupid as to do this. Its harder to wear a mask like that than it is the right way. These people make me angry. If he does not want to wear his mask right then he should not be on the bus.

So is the poster who posted this post which you thanked a "****ing idiot" also to use your your words

Which post are you on about?

Which post are you on about?

This one complaining about people not wearing masks properly
    There really is some thick people out there.so I was on the bus this evening a short journey thankfully. In fact I was waiting longer for the bus than the time I was on ih bug that's another story. Anyway I seen the bus coming and but on my mask. Hot on the bus driver not wearing a mask but does have a shield between him and passengers still I would prefer if he was wearing a mask. Anyway I got on the bus played and walked down the aisle. Most people in fact all seemed to have there makes on. It was only when I sat down I seen there was a thick stupid idiot two seats up from me who was half wearing his mask. I wanted to say something but did not. Next time I see this I know what I will say. Any thf thick idiot got off before my and where to but an Aldi still wearing his mask below his nose. I can not even comprehend how one can be so stupid as to do this. Its harder to wear a mask like that than it is the right way. These people make me angry. If he does not want to wear his mask right then he should not be on the bus.

This one complaining about people not wearing masks properly

I was referring to the people who complain about wearing masks for no valid reason not that poster no matter you much you might try and twist what I was saying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

AMKC wrote: »

I'm on a bus right now not wearing one. How d'ya like dem apples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They are paid for by the state it is subsidised. Bus services generally don't make money thought most people knew that.

Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann should stop charging customers then. Apparently they dont need the fares as the state is paying for everything already. In reality they are heavily dependent on customer fares for their operations. Most people can find this stuff out very easily.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

sabat wrote: »
    I'm on a bus right now not wearing one. How d'ya like dem apples?

You're some man, must be amazing to be you. Hope you can sleep tonight with all the excitement.

I was referring to the people who complain about wearing masks for no valid reason not that poster no matter you much you might try and twist what I was saying.

So then back to the original question why do people complain about some people not wearing masks if most people wear them anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭Nollog

So then back to the original question why do people complain about some people not wearing masks if most people wear them anyway?

People don't usually say "ah shure everybody is wearing their masks so well, this is wonderful"
    People only feel the need to vent when it's a negative thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

gozunda wrote: »
    Impractical and not recommended tbh

https://time.com/3975363/sneezing/?amp=true

That article says rubbing your nose can ward off the sneeze.My looking up at the ceiling achieves the same thing.I don't cover up the nose or "try to stifle the sneeze";it just stops the urge naturally.

When the urge is too strong the sneeze comes in its own good time.

To tell the truth ,I do it to prolong the sneeze as I enjoy the episode provided it is a one off.I know if you have hay fever or a bad bout of sneezing it is not much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

odyssey06 wrote: »
    At least you are now honest that you are advocating herd immunity.
    A fantasy strategy which somehow expects nobody vulnerable to be infected while the virus is rampant in the community.
    A fantasy strategy which somehow perfectly knows who will and wont die from the virus or suffer long term complications... bearing in mind hundreds of people have already died in the UK who were not considered vulnerable.

Achieving herd immunity is the only sensible way out of this and if done properly would take about a month. Otherwise we're going to be in a perpetual state of suspended animation.

The "fantasy strategy" of herd immunity is what protected us from viruses for millenia and is what will now save the most lives.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/13/a-way-to-control-covid-19-for-now/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Is the "fantasy strategy" of herd immunity not referring to trying to achieve herd immunity with no vaccine? By letting it run rampant through the population? Because I believe that most doctors don't believe herd immunity itself is a fantasy.

What's an example of a disease that was controlled through herd immunity, in less than a month, with no vaccine?

Is the "fantasy strategy" of herd immunity not referring to trying to achieve herd immunity with no vaccine? By letting it run rampant through the population? Because I believe that most doctors don't believe herd immunity itself is a fantasy.

We can't rely on a vaccine. It might never come and if it does it mightn't work very well.

Anyway, what's wrong with natural immunity? Why should immunity only come from a vaccine? The virus poses a miniscule threat to the younger/healthier members of the population where it will be let "run rampant", as you put it.
    What's an example of a disease that was controlled through herd immunity, in less than a month, with no vaccine?

You mean as a deliberate policy? I don't know.

Obviously, before vaccines herd immunity saved many vulnerable people who would otherwise have perished. In the modern world we can refine and speed up this natural process (and have hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic and treatment for the disease).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

How many deaths do you deem acceptable to get to this "herd immunity" without a vaccine?

How many deaths do you deem acceptable to get to this "herd immunity" without a vaccine?

In the article I linked to earlier, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick estimated a maximun of 1,000 Covid deaths for the UK.

That would work out at less than 80 for Ireland. Is that an "acceptable" number?

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick:
    Which means that it may be possible to achieve population wide immunity at a (maximum) cost of just over one thousand deaths, from COVID19, Probably not even that, as we do now know far better how to treat it than we did at the start. We could also do this by the end of the year – by the latest. You still think one thousand deaths is too many. Well, consider the alternative.

• Advertisement

moonage wrote: »
    The "fantasy strategy" of herd immunity is what protected us from viruses for millenia and is what will now save the most lives.

Herd immunity hasn't done a great job of protecting us from;

Smallpox

Tetanus

Hepatitis A

Hepatitis B

Rubella

Hib

Measles

Whooping Cough

Rotavirus

Chickenpox

Mumps

Diphtheria

Maybe we shouldn't aspire to going back to medieval times medically speaking.
    Anyway, what's wrong with natural immunity?

It kills people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

An online poll from a right wing newspaper tells us nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

(and have hydroxychloroquine as a prophylactic and treatment for the disease).
    Serious or sarcasm?

If serious can that post be looked by the mods as dangerous to health?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

In the article I linked to earlier, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick estimated a maximun of 1,000 Covid deaths for the UK.

That would work out at less than 80 for Ireland. Is that an "acceptable" number?

Dr. Malcolm Kendrick:

Do a little research on Dr. Malcolm Kendrick and you will find he is a fringe figure at the least and considered a total whack-job by his peers in medicine. Hardly the best source for a plan that could cost thousands of lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Tork wrote: »
    An online poll from a right wing newspaper tells us nothing.

But if it was the Guardian or Sky News it would be different?

But if it was the Guardian or Sky News it would be different?

I'd say the same thing, regardless of the publication or news organisation. Online polls should be taken with a hefty grain of salt for many reasons. You know this though, don't you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

Tork wrote: »
    I'd say the same thing, regardless of the publication or news organisation. Online polls should be taken with a hefty grain of salt for many reasons. You know this though, don't you?

You emphasised the fact the Telegraph is "right wing". Suggesting you believe only "left wing" news like the Guardian is a worthy source of information.

I put it to you, that the Telegraph is indeed as worthy a media source as the Guardian or any "left wing" newspaper.

I try to stay neutral and not a slavishly agree with everything printed in any newspaper. The Telegraph used to be an OK conservative leaning paper but it has largely turned into a rag. It is now little more than a propaganda mouthpiece for Boris Johnson's government and an upmarket version of The Express. Some of what it prints now beggars belief. If you choose to believe it's still a fine newspaper, fair enough.

Anyway, what has any of this to do with masks? Lest we be led astray, my point is that this poll is unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Let's play a game: how many masks do you see on this packed crowd?

Outside Wetherspoons at the 40 Foot tonight

kaxv2bjsgzn51.jpg

Advertisement