Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You sure .Looks to me like they're creeping back to "protect the HSE"

Loads out masked up today no major COVID issues really

Some in hospital "with" COVID

I was in Liffey Valley and Blanch shopping centres today for a good few hours, I’d say footfall of thousands, both were packed, then a bus home, and I barely saw over 10 masks between the 3 places.

Despite some in the HSE and in the online media; people do not care about masks. You don’t need to look far to realise this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

And yet the National Emergency team are meeting tomorrow. I genuinely fear that they’ll have the stupid theatre back on public transport again for January. Back to 99% of people pulling them out of their pockets the car door etc and fiddling with them the entire time. Utter theatre and horrible to wear. But the self righteous will be delighted no doubt. Will compliance be an issue this time I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

There's no national emergency team nor a meeting of anything resembling it.

The meeting tomorrow is between Varadkar and the Dept of health. He's doing the rounds meeting each department since he took office on Saturday.

No wonder posts like this referring to a non existent group are how rumours spread

• Advertisement

Shows you what happens when medics are just handing out random advise on masks

'Anywhere that's congested or theres an old person about ' like wtf

'Open all the windows on buses'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I heard the army are setting up tents all along the quays and are commandeering every hire car in the country to patrol and make sure no one breaks the Covid curfew too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

“”Earlier, the Minister for Transport said that coalition leaders will have to meet to discuss the rise in respiratory infections.

Eamon Ryan said that the advice of the Chief Medical Officer, Professor Breda Smyth, in relation to the wearing of face coverings on public transport will have to be considered by Government.””

If Eamon Ryan told me today was Thursday I'd have to double check.

"A spokesperson for the Taoiseach said that the Government has been receiving regular updates from the HSE and Department of Health in relation to high attendance levels at hospitals.

There is no plan for the coalition leaders to meet to discuss the rise in respiratory illness."

Honestly people need to calm themselves ffs, get on with christmas

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be surprised if varadkar recommends masks tomorrow

For a limited time only. Should two weeks suffice?? It’s lovely to see O’Leary so concerned about the HSE. Oh wait he works for the NBRU 🤔

“”The National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) has called on the Government to reintroduce the mandatory wearing of masks on public transport.

NBRU General Secretary Dermot O'Leary said it was time for the Government to reintroduce the measure for a limited period of time, as the HSE faces significant pressure from a surge of Covid-19 and other respiratory viruses.””

Every Tom dick and Barry is a genius and expert on masks

Watch this space. Politicians are fickle

Expect a recommendation today

I don't really see the government caving to this nonsense unless the whole world loses the plot.

These nut job groups need to be reminded that their new normal is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There seems to be another issue with flu like illnesses going around. I know a number of friends have picked up pretty sharp illnesses in the last couple of weeks, only one had Covid. Generally they were or are in quite a bad state though. I think there is justification for the re-introduction of masks on public transport during the winter period.

People can wear one if they want. There's literally nothing stopping those that want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Is that to prevent videos of him wearing the face off of some randomer in the george

I also am going to keep a look out to see how many of dermot’s staff are wearing masks on buses. I imagine it’ll be very low.

The government are very green focused these days and desperate for more people to use public transport.

Forcing people to cover their faces won't result in more people using public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

But it's sick people that had to wear one and those that are out coughing up a lung thinks it's not covid, so also thinks they don't have to wear a mask. It's highly selfish to say if you want. You can thank all those that won't stay at home.

What on earth are you waffling about?

You are allowed to wear a mask or stay home if you want to.

Don't expect other people to.

Varadkar saying today that there are currently no plans to reintroduce mask mandates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41034818.html

"The meeting coincides with the HSE establishing a National Crisis Management Team, warning that the anticipated surge in winter virus infections in the coming days will "bring the highest pressure on the State’s health service that has ever been seen"."

Perhaps it's the media lying again so.

It's sick people that has to stay at home. They aren't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What is it with people like you that have to be TOLD to wear masks? Wear one if you want. According to some there are only a small amount of selfish people out there so really almost everyone should be masked up no? Why aren't they then?

Why is RTE even giving these unions leaders headlines on their opinion on masks ?

They're not qualified to be calling for them

It smacks of an agenda to stir up COVID controversy

You're deranged in your messaging. I told you before to stop replying to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There are people who are terrified of getting sick who want others to be forced to wear a mask to make them feel safe.

There are people who say I don't want to wear a mask but I have no problem with you wearing a mask.

The people who are saying you are free to wear a mask are selfish.

But the people who are demanding others to do something to make them personally feel safe are not selfish.

I believe those may be the wrong way around, the only selfish people are those who are trying to force something on others to make THEM feel safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,294 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is it selfish to not want people to be allowed to smoke on a bus? Or not drink and drive?

So how is it selfish to look for others to wear masks, if you think they reduce the risk to you and others?

Use of such public facilities comes with rights as well as responsibilities.

It's not about making them "feel safe", it's about reducing the risk in an essential shared space - such as public transport, medical settings.

And therefore reducing the strain on services which all of us may depend on - hospital and medical services.

They're not being forced to wear them in their own homes.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

People don't want to wear masks. You can see that by the lack of people wearing masks.

So if you want to force an entire population to do something against their will so you can feel safer, that is selfish.

COVID and flu are very mild illnesses. To compare them to drink driving is frankly bizarre. But then, you did say that COVID is worse than cancer so...

Simple question, based on your post, are you supportive of a mask mandate? Is that something that you want to see? Would it be permanent keeping in mind that COVID is not going anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

I wouldn't necessarily be in favour of a mandate, although I probably found mask wearing the least annoying of all the measures since 2020, but where does one draw the line between rights and responsibilities ?

If forcing someone to wear a mask can be described as selfish, isn't it also selfish if that same someone is going to work on a packed bus while coughing and spluttering all over the place and not taking a measure that might help others ? or going into an office while sick ?

If anything the back and forth on the covid threads for the last 3 years has shown that ultimately everyone is selfish from a certain point of view.

There you go again "feel safer." It's not about "feeling safer". So, how about responding to the actual points I made.

People don't want to do things that are 'hassle', but do so when necessary. Even if begrudgingly.

Covid is not a very mild illness, across the full range of what it can do. It is mild for some. That is not the same thing. To call covid a very mild illness, without qualification, is utter nonsense. I can't believe someone is still coming out with this thoroughly discredited #JustTheFluBro nonsense at this point.

I compared it to drink driving as a public safety measure, which is an entirely valid comparison. Was it selfish to not want to encounter drunk drivers? Was it selfish to not want to encounter passive smoking on a bus? It's just irrelevent semantic games. It was brought in for sound public health reasons.

I said Covid represented a greater threat to public health systems ability to function than cancer, and I stand over that. It is reflected in the action of every major health authority in the world's reaction.

I support a mask mandate, as an option, as and when the proper authorities deem them necessary. It is their call.

What point did you make that you want me to reply to?

You just posted a bunch of nonsense about supporting a mask mandate.

There is no justification at all for such a thing unless you want to start removing all kinds of freedoms from people simply to reduce risk.

Maybe you'd also be supportive of that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Are we seriously comparing drink driving to throwing a bit of cloth over your face.

If you are drink driving you are highly likely to cause an accident that can seriously cause injury to people or kill yourself and multiple other people.

If you are not wearing a mask you have a miniscule chance of killing yourself or anyone else.

What a nonsense comparison and how can anyone keep a straight face trying to make that comparison.

Imagine if every driver in the country got locked tonight and jumped in the car... We'd likely have one of the biggest nights of deaths in the countries history.

Imagine if no one wore a mask on public transport. Life would carry on as normal.

Its an entirely valid comparison re the about selfishness angle some posters are obsessed with.

How many drink driving incidents actually lead to accidents? Of those just over the limit?

Its about reducing risk in intention.

When you look at the numbers of people travelling daily on public transport, it becomes a numbers game.

The main point you are disputing therefore really is not about motivation 'selfishness' but risk. Which shows the hollowness of the entire 'selfishness' nonsense when it is really about assessment of risk and risk reduction which is in question. There seems to be some mythical tipping point where being concerned about the risk suddenly makes it selfish.

Rather pointed no one disputed my comparison with banning smoking on buses. So pretty obvious I have shown up the whole 'selfishness' aspect to be without foundation and we have precedence for mask mandates as a public health measure when deemed necessary. The premise has been rejected and refuted.

Deranged!! I know you told me to stop replying to you...

I work 100% remotely. I want all vehicles banned off the roads with immediate effect. I don't care about impacting the entire population. It reduces risk and is better for the environment. People will just have to begrudgingly deal with it. It doesn't bother me too much.

I'm not selfish at all though. It's simply about reducing risk.

I also want alcohol, cigarettes and sugar banned immediately. And lots of other things. It's simply about reducing risk...

• Advertisement

Nobody was banned from driving or smoking.

Just their conduct regulated in use of same in shared public spaces.

If you want to drive on public roads wear a seatbelt and have an insured and roadworthy vehicle.

In a similar vein - nobody under mask mandates is banned from using public transport once they adhere to the required measure.

Your own posts - comparing it to banning all vehicles off the road - demonstrate how ridiculous this entire line of argument is.

Your argument is that it's all about reducing risk.

Theres lots of things we can do to reduce risk but we don't as the risk/reward doesn't warrant it. Like wearing masks for example.

Other people see it as warranted. You say it is miniscule. I say it is not given the number of people daily in settings which come in scope of mask mandates in shops buses or hospitals. And the cost is negligible.

Its about the risk reward and the dispute is over the relative balance.

People in good faith can debate and dispute that.

But you go a step further which is completely without merit or foundation and attack those who judge the risks balance differently as not merely in error but wrong. Motivated by selfishness or others have alluded to worse motivations.

This is not debating in good faith.

Tell us why is it warranted? Are people dying from catching COVID on public transport? Are hospitals overwhelmed more than normal?

Also remember, hospitals got overwhelmed in 2020 and 2021 with a mask mandate. So its not even likely it would make any impact at all.

Where is the reward? Sounds like it would just make people miserable with no benefit other than those that religiously believe in the things

Religiously? There you go again. Unable to express a point without trying to delegitimise the opposing view. I am following the science. I reject your slur as without merit or foundation.

The evidence for masks and how covid spreads via respiratory droplets has been cited on the thread.

And doubling down with a strawman about being overwhelmed. Versus 'any impact'. It is a numbers game not the either or you present.

Its not for me to say it is for the authorities to make the call and judge if it is warranted.

And really any of your venting here is irrelevent. They will make the call. And if they decide that they have my full support and the public will go along, begrudgingly perhaps but as they have done in previous mandates.

We have vaccines for COVID and flu for those that want them. People are entitled to wear masks if they want to.

The hospitals have been absolutely fine since the restrictions and mask mandate were dropped.

It's possible they'll get a bit busy for the next 3 weeks as they always do at this time of year, it's nothing to panic about.

So a mask mandate is absolutely not warranted whatsoever and our government agrees. People like you just have to accept that even though it's clear you'd love them to change their minds.

The national crisis management team within the HSE is not the same as saying there's a national emergency team.

The HSE team is for within the HSE, its nothing near the same thing. The group the other poster mentioned is made up by them

Loved Leo's message to the HSE yesterday as he reminded them that we won't be issuing a mask mandate and they've never had a bigger budget so deal with it. Exactly what we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Things like increased budgets and mask mandates are distractions that will never solve the problem. Outside of a level 5 lockdown, the only thing that will stop the hospitals being overrun is increased capacity, which means building more hospitals and extensions and then staffing them. Too difficult, therefore there are not even plans to do this. Instead government will blame the HSE and the people every winter as a distraction.

ICU isn't overrun ATM is it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement