Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Not that I want you to come back to this conversation but....have the UK population completely discarded mask use? or maybe most poeple with a bit of cop-on are still wearing masks in appropriate settings? Also, let me know where anyone said that mask wearing would eradicate Covid?

Your only argument is to make up statements of absolutes, and then cry and claim bizzare agendas. Pathethic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Vaccines would be the answer you are looking for.

Just a slight correction: it's England, not the UK. They look like they're going to be permanent in Wales and Scotland, as I believe they will be in Ireland.

I go to England regularly and when I was last there I was in both Liverpool and London. I didn't see anyone wearing them in Liverpool. It was wonderful to be able to see people's faces. Fewer and fewer people were wearing them in London compared with when I was there a few months ago, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

What an attitude towards honesty and other posters. You "left the conversation" because you got "bored waiting on answers"? You expect that to hold water? How long was it? What's your average response time before getting bored? Just so that I know I am not wasting my time.

The post #5102 in question was posted at 10:25AM. It was responding to your post #5098 from 10:04AM. Considering the depth the poster went to respond to your post, they could have embarked on replying to you within 10 mins.

You refused to and still refuse to engage with sound scientific real world studies and in particular post #5102. That poster took time to reply to your "questions". You got an "answer". But you choose to ignore the "answer" and then have the audacity to say you "left the conversation after getting bored of waiting" and now your on here crying I got no answers, "not one answer".

/END. Whoops I'm replied to your post 2 hours later, you've probably "left the conversation".

That post is about some small village in rural Bangladesh…

Not exactly relevant to anything. The fact is there is nothing in the data to suggest masks have helped. It would be easy to point out if they had made a difference.

You seem to want children wearing masks because if it stops 1 death then they are worth it?

Using that logic, surely we need to mask newborns once they get their breathing under control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Newsflash - Bangladeshi villages are part of the real world.

As are the locations of the other studies listed which you ignore.

Entirely relevant to the question you asked. Do you remember when you asked for real world studies?

You see you put up a smokescreen that masks only work for medical staff, which those studies disprove.

Now your response is another smokescreen "only a Bangladeshi village" and bluster about 'facts" when those studies are the data you asked for showing the effectiveness of masks in real world studies of ordinary people.

Ive no idea what the rest of your post is about but it has all the hallmarks of a strawman fallacy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭User1998

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Some people wearing masks in some situations in England still, some people not wearing masks in some situations in Wales. Really makes no difference if the flag has a dragon on it or not as far as mask wearing is concerned, and no reason to think that mask wearing would be any more permanent in Wales than in England, or that even if the Welsh government for some reason did decide to try and make such a ruling that anyone would pay it anymore notice than the lack of a ruling in England would stop people who wish to wear masks continue doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Which is worse going into a shop naked but masked or clothed but not masked?

Not that many. In dentists' surgeries and in hospitals. And on aeroplanes too, unfortunately. But they may be reintroduced soon there. An MP told Mark that Plan B would soon be introduced: Mark on Twitter: "Just got back home from a few days working near London. Happened to have a chat with a well known MP. Asked for their thoughts on Boris's plan B and their reply was "it's already penned in for after Cop26" They just need the optics to look good." / Twitter

There is no evidence of masks being temporary in Ireland. The vaccine pass was said to be a temporary measure for a few weeks and it's now being extended to other areas of life.

• Advertisement

The thing is that in Ireland temporary measures have this habit of becoming permanent.

So wearing masks in enclosed metal tubes, situations with lots of sick people, or where someone is using a drill in someone's mouth and spraying debris everywhere is too much of an imposition on your quality of life?

Left the conversation as got bored waiting and then decided to rejoin via a third party only to do a little belittling of the facts to questions asked and to push down on the third party with injected assumptions.

On an aeroplane it's horrible, and I'd rather not in the other two settings, but at least the dentist is only every few months or once year, depending on the person.

For emigration the mask will be a major consideration. Sweden is the only real option in Europe. Masks are even gone on domestic flights there: Scandinavian Airlines No Longer Requiring Face Masks on Some Flights (businessinsider.com)

It's hard to know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Masks will continue as long as Donnelly manages to keep getting the “health state of emergency” pushed through the dail. It’s now been extended to mid February which is 3 months from now. Rolling rolling rolling infinitum ????

Incidentlly , I’ve noticed a number of shops and garages change their mask signage at the door entrances. They previously had “no mask no entry”. They now read “management strongly advise the use of face coverings” .

How many flights are you taking each week such that your looking to emigrate to Sweden because wearing a mask on a plane is so horrible?

Stupid reason to try and use as a reason for moving country.

What times during your regular day are you actually having to wear a mask for?

Why?

For what reason would masks wearing remain after the point at which they are no longer deemed necessary for limiting covid spread?

I do think mask wearing should be optional. Leave the decision up to people to decide whether they will wear a mask or not. Some of the rules with when to wear a mask and when not too are ridiculous as we seen with the nightclubs. For me if I am running into the garage to pay for petrol will be less that 2 minutes what is the point of wearing a mask especially when you can go to a pub and sit there are drink and chat and not have to wear a mask unless you are going to the loo which is also ridiculous.

I'm not looking to emigrate to Sweden. It's a nice country, but it's too cold there in winter. But it's one of the few options for people who want to live mask free. Sweden and Norway (and Denmark to a lesser extent).

In Ireland people have to wear them everywhere. And even outdoors is confusing. The requirement to wear a mask outdoors, a requirement I didn't know existed, was to be lifted on the 22nd of October. The mask makes everything unpleasant for me.

• Advertisement

Because the argument could be that there are undiscovered variants out there so the new normal, with its restrictions, should continue indefinitely. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but I'm just not as confident as others that masks will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There is no legal requirement to wear a mask outdoors in Ireland, nor has there ever been.

There was public health recommendation on wearing a mask in busy \ crowded outdoor settings where distancing was not possible.

It's the difference between "must" and "should".

Some EU countries or rather jurisdictions such as cities or regions within countries such as Spain, Italy, France did have such a legal requirement for masks outdoors, but I am not aware of any EU country where the requirement is legally still in force - however if you have contrary information please share.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Do you think that the cases and treatment of covid will ever reach levels that society can put up with, such as for other illnesses like flu?

Well based on some of the logic on this thread, kids as young as 4 should wear masks all day at school because if it saves even 1 life than surely you have to do it. So I don’t think it would matter what level of cases are like.

The government are going to have a very tough job resetting people’s expectations.

It might ultimately be easier and win them more votes to keep the masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I would hazard guess you are twisting or deliberately misreading posts ( if you even bother to read them ) just to push whatever agenda you have on your mind. Another guess is you are constantly doing it since your posting on COVID threads started. Not that it bothers me, it's your problem. I just don't understand what's reason behind it.

Well based on some of the logic on this thread, kids as young as 4 should wear masks all day at school because if it saves even 1 life than surely you have to do it.

@[Deleted User] You are qouting assumptions you placed on other posters that do not exisit. Show me one post on this thread in PART2 or PART1 that has called for "kids as young as 4" to wear masks, just one.

No. Look at this thread, for example. I think jacdaniel2014 said that no child in Ireland had died of covid in Ireland and yet there are calls for primary school children to wear masks. So 0 deaths isn't enough for children not to wear masks at school according to some. Now, I know a thread on boards isn't representative of the population at large, but persons in the media also think children should wear masks at school.

Does society take such extreme measures in our day to day lives to deal with any other risk to life? Do we totally ban smoking, or make cars inflatable and with a top speed of 5mph, or ban peanuts from all food stuffs,etc just to save one life?

We are currently still dealing with a health situation that could very easily get out of hand and treatments are still early in development. Once things progress along more societies will establish the level at which they are comfortable with the balance of health restrictions against any risk to individuals health. Like with flu currently, we accept that some people will die, and to limit that certain at risk groups get vaccinated, everyone else gets on with their lives.

Why would covid not be dealt with in the same way in the future?

By absolute chance I met with a Fine Gael Minister today and guess what we talked about lowering the masking age.

I highlighted that not one political party has called to lower the unscientific mandatory masking age cap as set by the EAG in May 2020.

I didn't advise my first preference, a data driven ramp on ramp off approach for two reasons.

- data is not our strong suit.

- there is enough public distrust(and therefore resistance) about temporary Covid-19 measures being introduced.

So I advised my second preference, an immediate start with a firm end date of February 1st.

- mandatory 8+

- recommended 6+

Glad to have had the opportunity and yes I know only too well science would suggest a slightly lower masking age. The Minister will speak about this with Norma Foley "tomorrow".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

And how exactly do you think mask wearing is gonna affect 8 year old ? I always thought kids are well capable and smart, sometimes even better than adults to adjust to different situations and learn new things.

Advertisement