Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

pjohnson wrote: »
    I hope you arent one of the people "worrying" about the economy. That realllly would make you look odd.

The economy is fcked because of these disgraceful restrictions that should not be in place

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

GT89 wrote: »
    The economy is fcked because of these disgraceful restrictions that should not be in place

Wearing a mask costs very little and helps keep the economy open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

wilkie2006 wrote: »

It was actually the Jadad scale, related to the quality of clinical trials. I thought it was bit more comprehensive than described in the link though. I remember reading about how some studies on homeopathy proved it worked but when the trials were then rated it showed they were just nonsense (no blinding, no randomization, etc.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadad_scale

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A LOT more people are fed up with lockdown now. Friends of mine who would have argued with me before are agreeing with me now that a lockdown is pointless. I won’t be sticking to this one. On my way to Drogheda shopping in an hour or two. Will be hitting Carlow Wednesday for a pub crawl. You can stay under your bed.

On behalf of all of us trying to keep our communities safe, I thank you for your cooperation and concern.

Some piece of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    On behalf of all of us trying to keep our communities safe, I thank you for your cooperation and concern.

Some piece of work!

How do you know what’s safe and what’s not clearly pubs ,( 2 legs bad ) are not safe , yet putting 900 kids into a school designed for 650 is ( 4 legs good )

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Wearing a mask costs very little and helps keep the economy open :)

Yet the numbers dropped when little mask wearing was evident , then we made them mandatory in shops, an environment where no significant treat ever arose and now with these measures the numbers are on the up

Conclusion= masks are dealing with a risk that actually isn’t there

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yet the numbers dropped when little mask wearing was evident , then we made them mandatory in shops, an environment where no significant treat ever arose and now with these measures the numbers are on the up

Are we pretending Coronavirus isn't deadly to justify not wearing a mask or something else?

Are we pretending Coronavirus isn't deadly to justify not wearing a mask or something else?

No merely that hard data is extremely hard to come by and our rules seem to more a reaction to social media then properly thought out.

( of course this is a country where our chief medical officer admitted he gets his information from a German daily newspaper )

Covid can kill , of course , but so can lots of things

No merely that hard data is extremely hard to come by and our rules seem to more a reaction to social media then properly thought out.

You might be reacting to social media, it's not where I'd go looking for Coronavirus advice.

You might be reacting to social media, it's not where I'd go looking for Coronavirus advice.

Social media is largely promoting a “police state “so that’s not it.

• Advertisement

Social media is largely promoting a “police state “so that’s not it.

I definitely wouldn't be going to social media for political observations.

For pandemic advice I'll stick with common sense, logic, and the opinions of the vast majority of qualified professionals.

I definitely wouldn't be going to social media for political observations.

For pandemic advice I'll stick with common sense, logic, and the opinions of the vast majority of qualified professionals.

Qualified in largely liking to listen to their own importance

Given none of these “ experts “ have studied Covid before , how can they be experts
    Equally seemingly our “ experts” know more then the WHO , EDC , etc.

Clearly their advice has us at zero Covid

Clearly ....

Give me a break

They’ve no idea and clearly are “ making it up as they go along “ no hard science no hard data , literally seat of the pants stuff

Yep experts alright

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How do you know what’s safe and what’s not clearly pubs ,( 2 legs bad ) are not safe , yet putting 900 kids into a school designed for 650 is ( 4 legs good )

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Qualified in largely liking to listen to their own importance

Given none of these “ experts “ have studied Covid before , how can they be experts
    Equally seemingly our “ experts” know more then the WHO , EDC , etc.

Clearly their advice has us at zero Covid

Clearly ....

Give me a break

They’ve no idea and clearly are “ making it up as they go along “ no hard science no hard data , literally seat of the pants stuff

Yep experts alright

Sure, so we stick with anonymous internet posters' advice instead, who clearly know even less - nothing about Covid in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Interesting conclusion given that you believe "hard data is extremely hard to come by". Or is this what you've read/seen on social media?

Any chance that numbers dropped because of the lockdown and increased as restrictions lifted? (notwithstanding your assessment of mask wearing in public, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

In world war one the armies involved moved from wearing cloth caps to steel helmets. The numbers of wounded in hospitals actually increased contrary to expectations.

You could conclude that steel helmets were worse at protecting men in trenches. However, as more cases were surviving to be treated it wasn't the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

When will be the first mask related injury in terms of blaming the cut off in vision happen and will be heavily compensated by our courts ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

PTH2009 wrote: »
    When will be the first mask related injury in terms of blaming the cut off in vision happen and will be heavily compensated by our courts ?

No idea. What makes you think this will happen at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Hmm.. there may be some people that need to be shown how to wear a mask correctly but perhaps you've let that idea run away with you

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

saabsaab wrote: »
    In world war one the armies involved moved from wearing cloth caps to steel helmets. The numbers of wounded in hospitals actually increased contrary to expectations.

You could conclude that steel helmets were worse at protecting men in trenches. However, as more cases were surviving to be treated it wasn't the case.

Also the cloth caps were to protect them from flying pointy sticks, whilst the steel helmets were to protect from bullets and other debris caused by bullets and other explosions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,871 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there any good atleast large 3 layer masks with good strong nose bar that I can buy (not one that will have been delivered from the other side of the world)

the ones a i bought a good quality cloth ones but they are too small, they don't fit over a talking mouth and come off the nose.

somebody pm'd a recommendation and it looks like its the same ones I bought. they are just not tall enough, that noseline is very straight when it needs to more pointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Did it happen with people wearing hoodies or hats?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Saw graffiti in town today with no masks, no vac. Is that how they are expressing themselves now. While I understand the concerns with a rushed vaccine, a mask isn't some poison you're putting into your body. I just don't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The Cozealots pick and choose what is safe and what is not. Only their opinion is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

is there any good atleast large 3 layer masks with good strong nose bar that I can buy (not one that will have been delivered from the other side of the world)

I adapted the Olson mask design to be deeper, a little wider, and have a sharper chin curve to suit my older relatives and friends. Cartilage keeps growing as people age so noses and ears get bigger. It has a pocket for a replaceable layer 3 as filter, but could equally use 3 layers of cotton.

I'm not selling, only gifting as and when I can, but if you can use a needle and thread, you can make your own to suit your personal needs and preferences. Measure the bridge of your nose to the crease under your chin and go from there. Elastic is widely available again, and you can get the flat aluminium nose pieces online.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Have you never seen a traveller acting like that in a shop before?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sabat wrote: »
    Have you never seen a traveller acting like that in a shop before?

are they definitely the T word? I don't think I have, only on videos etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

are they definitely the T word? I don't think I have, only on videos etc.

The girl was upset that the man called her mother a "k" which is a very scummy thing to do to a child.

Advertisement