Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Masks are nonsense. They don’t work. They are a placebo to stop the chicken littles from screeching.

Would you rather someone with Covid-19 beside you sneezes with a mask on or a mask off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Where's all the outrage with the other measures like distancing, hand washing? Why masks?

Master of the Universe

Where's all the outrage with the other measures like distancing, hand washing? Why masks?

I would have thought that was obvious - it's by far the most visible and easily identifiable. You're either wearing a mask or you're not.

How do you know people aren't washing their hands? Do you follow them into the toilets?

Do you measure the distance between people on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Tork wrote: »
    So says the person who doesn't know the difference between "Never have" and "Never was".

Maybe the people wearing the masks outdoors or in their cars are doing so because they're moving between shops and don't want to be handling their mask for the few minutes in between.

Says the person that can speak fluently four languages. I can afford to be wrong. Go to a comment section on Facebook, many people don't even speak one language (the one originating in a neighbouring country).

maybe, maybe not.. Maybe they are just stupid? Who knows, I'll ask somebody next time. "Hey sir, sorry to bother you.. are you walking to a shop or what's the reason you're wearing that face mask... oh, ok.. so you're stupid ... cool, that's all I wanted to know... it's for Boards.."

---

btw. what happened to those gloves people used to wear? Is that not a thing anymore? Idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Diabhalta wrote: »
    People wear them even walking on the street with nobody around, or while driving a car alone.

That's what happens when cousins fu*k.

:pac:

As someone who thinks masks are useless I do this sometimes cos im going to different shops and cant be arsed taking it off and on again. Ill somtimes drive between shops with it on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

To the anti maskers that say masks aren't in the least effective.

Put one on, then try to blow out a candle.

Great scientific proof there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

o1s1n wrote: »
    Would you rather someone with Covid-19 beside you sneezes with a mask on or a mask off?

I’d rather nobody wore masks so I’ll go with option b. Hopefully I won’t get common side effects such as feeling absolutely fine.,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I'd rather they sneezed into a tissue than into a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

I see. So all of this boils down to you believing that you'll be absolutely fine if you happen to catch Covid. I can understand why you'd be annoyed that everyone else is trying to do the right thing and protect others who aren't so robustly youthful and healthy.

GT89 wrote: »

That's assuming they have a tissue on them or have time to take it out before they do. Or that they're considerate enough to try and do something about it in time. Some people happily cough and sneeze straight into the air all the time.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    That's assuming they have a tissue on them or have time to take it out before they do. Or that they're considerate enough to try and do something about it in time. Some people happily cough and sneeze straight into the air all the time.

But you could say the same about masks as some people do not wear them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I’d rather nobody wore masks so I’ll go with option b. Hopefully I won’t get common side effects such as feeling absolutely fine.,

As usual it's all about you.

Master of the Universe

Why would you rather nobody wore masks? Can you explain the logic behind your reasoning?

And who is 'nobody?' - Joe Public? Office workers? Service industry? Health care workers?

And why exactly would you want them to sneeze into a tissue? To 'catch' certain particles, perhaps?

You do know what a mask is for, right?

But you could say the same about masks as some people do not wear them
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I wonder do anti maskers and anti vaxxers turn down other medical treatments.

If it's for the greater good then then yeah I'd say they do turn them down, unless they can see a direct benefit for themselves. They are usually too selfish in first instance, and too thick to see that they might even benefit in the long run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Why would you rather nobody wore masks? Can you explain the logic behind your reasoning?

And who is 'nobody?' - Joe Public? Office workers? Service industry? Health care workers?

And why exactly would you want them to sneeze into a tissue? To 'catch' certain particles, perhaps?

Given previous posts from this particular character I wouldn`t be too sure about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

People wear them even walking on the street with nobody around, or while driving a car alone.

Haha amazing input. You might check your family tree..

I don't wear a face mask in shops or anywhere else. Never was and never will.

gmisk wrote: »
    "Never was and never will"...such wise words...
    What a hero...
    TYFYS

Clearly Diabhalta is yet another troll on the loose on this forum.. Not to be taken seriously.

I know my point is a mask is unessecary as a tissje wojld more than suffice. Masks are extremely uncomfortable, cause skin irritation if worn for long periods of time and are a barrier to communication.

Sneesing into a tissue has been the advice for years to stop the spread of colds/flus. Covid is transmitted in the same manner yet masks are now the advice. Why weren't masks been worn during flu season? It's hardly ground breaking new research.

I know my point is a mask is unessecary as a tissje wojld more than suffice. Masks are extremely uncomfortable, cause skin irritation if worn for long periods of time and are a barrier to communication.

A good quality mask will not cause skin irritation and is not uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

A good quality mask will not cause skin irritation and is not uncomfortable.

But not wearing one is more comfortable. Anyway comfort is subjective if some people want to wear them I don't have a problem I just have an issue with having to wear one. It's a personal choice.

Increasing evidence now suggests that wearing a mask protects the wearer from covid. This gives more of a reason for masks not to be mandatory as I shouldn't have to protect myself if I don't want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

But not wearing one is more comfortable. Anyway comfort is subjective if some people want to wear them I don't have a problem I just have an issue with having to wear one. It's a personal choice.

Increasing evidence now suggests that wearing a mask protects the wearer from covid. This gives more of a reason for masks not to be mandatory as I shouldn't have to protect myself if I don't want to.

Why wouldn't you want to protect yourself though? Seems a little childish.

What?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

What sort of an idiot doesnt want to protect themselves?. In all seriousness people like you should be refused medial care if/when you do catch the virus

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's like playing jeopardy.

The question was "why are masks mandatory".

:pac:

Lux23 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you want to protect yourself though? Seems a little childish.

I should be allowed put myself at risk if I so happen to wish. Tbh I couldn't care less about getting covid as I'm healthy and so are my family

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I should be allowed put myself at risk if I so happen to wish.

No argument, just find a way to do it where you're not putting anyone else at risk.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    What sort of an idiot doesnt want to protect themselves?. In all seriousness people like you should be refused medial care if/when you do catch the virus

Because I find a mask uncomfortable and I want immunity to it aswell.

Graham wrote: »
    No argument, just find a way to do it where you're not putting anyone else at risk.

If others are wearing their masks they are safe surely?

• Advertisement

I should be allowed put myself at risk if I so happen to wish. Tbh I couldn't care less about getting covid as I'm healthy and so are my family

And as you stated previously you don`t care about protecting the vulnerable. So by that logic if you or anyone close to you does get sick from contracting Covid then you won`t be too concerned about either yourself or them receiving medical treatment. Right?

Advertisement