Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

😂 Total bogus study 🤣😅

There is no breathing resistance requirement for children so they the authors made one up, they randomly choose half the limit 😂

Many of the masks tested didn't pass the adult breathing resistance limits.

The authors view breathing resistance as a knockout criterion for children's masks yet in earlier studies they noted that due to poor fit with FFP2 masks on children they were the same as surgical masks. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 30,464 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Of course he should be listed to.

Those questions I said still stand by the way.

We need to know the answers to them before a decision is made,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Total bogus sure.

And then you just reiterated my translation only not quite correctly in places.

So you 'win' or something.

Cognitive dissonance is what this is called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Who here is claiming that masks are to be made "part of every day life long-term"?

Sounds a bit hysterical tbf.

Current covid regulations such as mask wearing are scheduled to be dropped in the near future all things going well.

This whole thing kinda reminds of the restrictions thread discussion where some have tried to persuade everyone that covid restrictions were forever or somesuch.

Total "frightening results" , sure.

Same authors knew from their previous study that fit and filter on children who wore FFP2 came in the same as surgical masks.

Therefore breathing resistance would have been lowered had they gone on to test fit and filter during this breathing resistance test.

They cancelled the test because the results were too frightening or because the results might become less or even none firghtening.

BOGUS.

• Advertisement

Honestly, I don't really care. Frightening is probably just the papers language. The way they love dramatising everything.

Just wanted to see your reaction to it tbh. To something not so favourable wrt make. Since you're the master of frightening twitter/link dumps. And its quite telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,442 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So end of the mask nonsense 9th or 28th?

Where does it say that there? Not a critique of any kind, I'm anxious to see them go, just can't find that info there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭VG31

A number of public health measures will remain in place until 28 February 2022:

requirements for mask wearing in all settings where currently regulated for

protective measures in schools and early learning and care facilities

I don't think it's by any means guaranteed masks will be gone by 28 February. Hopefully they will be. I believe the government stated they plan to let the covid emergency powers lapse at the end of March so that's the absolute latest they should be gone by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

I suppose there’s also a very slight chance they’ll choose not to renew the SIs on the 9th but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Hopefully the 28th will be the end of it and we can move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Was out and about yesterday trying to find a replacement letterbox (don't ask! 😀) and dropped into a coffee shop for a latte.

Several masked patrons still standing mere feet away from the rest of the occupants who were unmasked (where the whole "logic" of the requirement always falls down for me!) and I deliberately went in unmasked. Not a word said by staff or others. It's nonsense and always has been IMO.

I think we get it kaiser- ya don't agree with the use of masks and never did 😑

However if you look it up  law on face coverings includes exemptions for customers of sit in cafes and restaurants. The staff know that so no won't be chasing you or anyone else out of the place

But so what if some people chose to use a mask? Maybe their waiting on results and don't want to risk giving it to others! You just don't know.

Maybe they shouldn't be in a coffee shop in the first place in that case? As much as I dislike masks, I wouldn't be going anywhere if I was waiting on a result in fairness.

What I do not understand, and have yet to see a reasonable answer to in this thread, is what exactly some people are so afraid of at this point, or is it purely virtue-signalling of the notion of "protecting others"?

Omicron is even less dangerous than the previous variants which themselves weren't particularly dangerous to all but a relatively small known cohort of elderly and medically vulnerable people, and whom would have had to protect themselves anyway from a lot of other things without asking the rest of the population to wear face masks.

So what is it? Fear of something that now presents as the sniffles and a few aches to most who get it, or showing how "concerned for our fellow man" we are?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

What I do not understand, and have yet to see a reasonable answer to in this thread, is what exactly some people are so afraid of at this point, or is it purely virtue-signalling of the notion of "protecting others"?

Because of the "rules" and "doing the right thing"..... Two quotes I've had thrown at me today......

And yet they you are in the same coffee shop complaining about a few people wearing masks as they are allowed to do (even if you don't know why) and staff (who don't have to say anything) not saying anything lol.

Well lets be absolutely pedantic then - let's say an individual wearing a mask who is a close contact of someone else who is waiting on a test. Or maybe they have recovered from covid and are no longer required to isolate but do mask up as per current advice. Would either of those situations suit you? The point is you simply don't know.

But no I really don't get this absolute intolerance of others, who in situations where its not prescribed, may chose to wear a mask but are not forcing or insisting you do. And you still get some people whinging.

Yeah and some people will be always more careful or considerate of others regardless.

On the two things you mention Re rules - tbf most people won't risk the current fines and indeed are not interested in making shop or other staffs lives any more difficult than it is having to deal with eejits everyday

And god forbid anyone might do the "right thing" 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 30,464 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my understanding @Mecanudo the people I know who don't want to wear masks anymore have no issues with others wearing them.

I'd agree with you with the people I know. Unfortunately some people seem to think otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The masks are pretty pointless now. Surely the govt will remove them long before 28th.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Assuming that you mean me, my problem is with the continued mandatory nature of the requirement when it's patently clear that they are of little benefit with regards Omicron and the obvious nervousness and fear they are clearly still promoting in some even though there's almost certainly no medical reason for it given our vaccination status and the aforementioned effects of this variant.

There is a very real issue of mental health here after 2 years of constant analysis, reporting and scaremongering (remember the NPHET worry-o-meter?), and the truth is that such people clearly will struggle to reintegrate into normal society long after mask mandates are removed.

There is also the whole aspect of the same people wanting to be visibly seen to be doing the "right thing", but that's a very Irish trait not limited to Covid of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Daithi O Se tested positive for covid last week and he's back on TV again today. No mask on him either. What's up with that? I thought they're meant to be wearing a good mask after the 7 day isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Where do you stand with not wearing a mask in a cafe or bar or hotel?

I was ranted at by a grumpy lady behind the bar that I have to wear a mask when coming up to the bar. I politely pointed out that that was not in the regulations and that I've been in plenty of places and no masks required or worn by staff or patrons.

When I pointed out that the manager should be wearing his one properly and not around his chin. I gave my order and headed to my table. Some places are hanging on in! I don't care if they want to keep wearing them, but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I think any business can have any rule they want so long as they don't discriminate.

But you're absolutely right about the manager, I find it hard that these people have no issues asking others to wear masks but they won't get their staff to wear them properly.

No. But let me ask are you a virologist, medical professional or similar? Because you seem to be holding court on medical risks re covid regardless.

On one hand you're claiming covid is no more than just sniffles but then you're expecting people who just might be at a slight risk of contracting it (from lets say a close contact) should not use simple precautions by wearing a mask but instead should lock themselves away despite advice to the contrary and all because you are afraid of masks.

As to the current mandatory requirements - from what I can see that's going to last little more than 3 weeks and yet you're going into places that don't require masks, whinging at people there who choose for whatever personal or medical reasons to do so as if they're some personal affront to do you and complaining that staff said nothing even where they don't have too.

None of that makes sense at all.

She could be just confused with the new guidelines as they are very one sided in customer facing roles in premises where food and beverages are sold for consumption on the premises.

The plenty of places you refer to where masks are not worn by staff are breaking the law so I wouldn't go pointing that out to her as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭political analyst

Newscasters and the people they interview in the studio have never been expected to wear masks during the programmes they present anyway!

Mentioned it in the other thread but the Late Late show tonight just shows the absolute charade around masks at the moment.

Audience half jarred from drinking before together, and probably be drinking after together. Yet masked up for ‘de telly’. Except when Tubs speaks to them, and then the magic masks are allowed to be removed. Some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Was in McDonalds yesterday. It was packed, people walking around with no masks, kids everywhere with no masks. I was standing up waiting to collect my food and a manager says have you got a mask to wear in this area.

I just said no and she said ok would you mind sitting down and I’ll bring your food to you. I said no problem, so I walked 4 feet to my table and sat down.

Thank goodness she acted. She deserves her covid badge. All in this together.

• Advertisement

Are you're expecting a medal for that little demonstration?

Re "She deserves her covid badge" wtf? Staff in minimum wage jobs dont need people to make their jobs any more difficult than they already are. Businesses have to abide by the law and she was simply doing her job and fair fcuks to her that she had bucket loads of patience. People acting like a stroppy youngsters certainly don't help.

Advertisement