Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Possibly covered already here. Our office is asking people to wear masks when leaving their desk. Whats the best way to put mask aside before putting back on- its not meant to be put under chin. Cant be expected to wear a new mask every time go to the loo etc but haven't seen any advice re how best to store and put back on again. If avoid touching the front of the mask then ok to keep putting same mask on and taking off multiple times?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

seefin wrote: »
    Possibly covered already here. Our office is asking people to wear masks when leaving their desk. Whats the best way to put mask aside before putting back on- its not meant to be put under chin. Cant be expected to wear a new mask every time go to the loo etc but haven't seen any advice re how best to store and put back on again. If avoid touching the front of the mask then ok to keep putting same mask on and taking off multiple times?

You can use a plastic lunch bag to store your face mask. Or you can get cases on Amazon. I like using the surgical masks and made a few of these
    https://youtu.be/hmAxNKbdsts

There's talk of the virus being airborne, so the air inside can be contaminated. So the chance it's airborne, I don't take off my mask inside and I don't change my mask indoors either because of this. So I wouldn't be taking of a mask sitting at your desk.

You can use a plastic lunch bag to store your face mask. Or you can get cases on Amazon. I like using the surgical masks and made a few of these
    https://youtu.be/hmAxNKbdsts

There's talk of the virus being airborne, so the air inside can be contaminated. So the chance it's airborne, I don't take off my mask inside and I don't change my mask indoors either because of this. So I wouldn't be taking of a mask sitting at your desk.

Need to drink at desk though. Cant leave the building everytime need to eat or drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Need to drink at desk though. Cant leave the building everytime need to eat or drink.

Cut a hole in the front of your mask for drinking, eating and smoking fags too.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seanergy wrote: »
    It's highly important information.

HSE covid-19 guidance to date has been droplet heavy and solely focused on close contact or surfaces as the only way the virus is transmitted.

This research mentions not just droplets but covid-19 aerosols can remain present in a room/a space for up to an hour.
    It's not, they just tested droplets and extrapolated. It was not COVID but there is one starting in Bristol soon that will look at COVID "hanging in the air" in a variety of environments. That will be highly important information!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The devout pro maskers in thread here in April never ignored expert advice regarding masks. Read back in the thread, the 'zealous' people were educating and encoruaging people to make and wear their own face coverings and not tap essential mask supplies.
    Roundly abusing as well as "educating", it's the way of the zealot at both ends of this - no quarter given. Some may remain stuck that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's not, they just tested droplets and extrapolated. It was not COVID but there is one starting in Bristol soon that will look at COVID "hanging in the air" in a variety of environments. That will be highly important information!

No, it is important.
    Roundly abusing as well as "educating", it's the way of the zealot at both ends of this - no quarter given. Some may remain stuck that way!

Your referring to the pro maskers as roundly abusing, as a token here is the first post from April, the period in time I am referring to.

Just to be clear on the Czech situation - The current leadership there is actually quite poor. The mandating of wearing a face mask in public spaces was enforced by the public, from bottom to top. The gov was forced to adopt that measure by the public themselves after a very strong campaign which included celebrities etc. If a better leadership was in place it would have been mandated much earlier. The delay was caused by gov incompetence.

If you want it to happen here, we need to start campaigning. Do an educational website, social media campaign etc. If you need help PM me...

A few posts later, still April 1st, a video oddly enough discussing modes of transmission.

April was full of posters educating themselves, where is the roundly abusing you are referencing?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Yes, they extrapolated, because the droplets themselves won't behave any differently whether or not they carry the coronavirus, or indeed any pathogen.
    And why would they? These are droplets of size 5-10 µm upwards and the coronavirus itself is approx 0.1 µm in size.

The question the Bristol study will help answer is the viability of the virus over time when in this "hanging in the air" state. They intend to do this by levitating it in an electric field under varied conditions of temperature, humidity, and UV light intensity. Their results may help us to understand what changes are necessary in internal environments to reduce the virus's survivability.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why are you worried about it? Just put your mask back on that you were wearing on the way to your desk.

If you are infectious then you can't reinfect yourself.

If someone else in the office is infectious then they are wearing a mask themselves so hopefully that is sufficient to protect you.

If someone else is infectious and has been not wearing a mask and coughing on you in close proximity then you may have a problem as the outside of your mask is likely then infectious as well, but by then it's probably too late anyway as they will have already infected you by coughing at you.

Just putting back on the mask you were wearing 30 minutes previously doesn't cause the virus to spontaneously appear on your mask. Keep your mask to yourself and don't go coughing on other people, but don't worry about tiny details like putting on a brand new mask every time. That is entirely pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Traficante

On the mask wearing I don't get it, people in other countries, especially Asia where they have experienced corona type viruses before have been wearing masks for years now without issue, voluntarily. We on the other hand experience our first pandemic where people have died and are dying and people cannot acquiesce to requests from a medical body like the WHO and instead or coming together to beat this thing they want to play politics, like left vs right etc, at the least it's juvenile, at the worst it's dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,469 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Traficante wrote: »
    On the mask wearing I don't get it, people in other countries, especially Asia where they have experienced corona type viruses before have been wearing masks for years now without issue, voluntarily. We on the other hand experience our first pandemic where people have died and are dying and people cannot acquiesce to requests from a medical body like the WHO and instead or coming together to beat this thing they want to play politics, like left vs right etc, at the least it's juvenile, at the worst it's dangerous.

It's just one of these things. Ireland is not alone in this but some people are just anti everything, anti government, etc. People are also very hyperactive. If mammy is making a big deal about not being able to breath in her mask chances are the kid will to.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,888 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

robinph wrote: »
    Why are you worried about it? Just put your mask back on that you were wearing on the way to your desk.

If you are infectious then you can't reinfect yourself.

If someone else in the office is infectious then they are wearing a mask themselves so hopefully that is sufficient to protect you.

If someone else is infectious and has been not wearing a mask and coughing on you in close proximity then you may have a problem as the outside of your mask is likely then infectious as well, but by then it's probably too late anyway as they will have already infected you by coughing at you.

Just putting back on the mask you were wearing 30 minutes previously doesn't cause the virus to spontaneously appear on your mask. Keep your mask to yourself and don't go coughing on other people, but don't worry about tiny details like putting on a brand new mask every time. That is entirely pointless.

That is contrary to safe mask wearing advice that the HSE provide - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

It's pretty gross to consider handling a snotty rag , and putting it back on your face.

The only hygienic approach is to have a large supply of masks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That is contrary to safe mask wearing advice that the HSE provide - https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

It's pretty gross to consider handling a snotty rag , and putting it back on your face.

The only hygienic approach is to have a large supply of masks.

What are you wearing a mask to protect yourself, or anyone, else from?

Is it from your snot, or from you potentially carrying coronavirus. If your mask is snotty then find a clean one, if it isn't then what is the problem with putting back on the mask you just took off?

Whilst it is good practice to always use a brand new clean one, if everyone were made to stick to that then nobody would bother. Getting hung up on a fresh mask every time you get up from your desk to go to the loo is silly and pointless and achieves nothing except more masks in landfill, or more masks you need to wash each day.

robinph wrote: »
    What are you wearing a mask to protect yourself, or anyone, else from?

Is it from your snot, or from you potentially carrying coronavirus. If your mask is snotty then find a clean one, if it isn't then what is the problem with putting back on the mask you just took off?

Whilst it is good practice to always use a brand new clean one, if everyone were made to stick to that then nobody would bother. Getting hung up on a fresh mask every time you get up from your desk to go to the loo is silly and pointless and achieves nothing except more masks in landfill, or more masks you need to wash each day.

Checked with friend who is a nurse and she said just to be careful not to touch the front of the mask when taking off and putting back on . And fold in 2 into a bag making sure the inside is not touching the outside which might be contaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I wear my mask for 11 hours of a 12 hour shift.
    I pull it down under chin when getting a drink then pull it back up again. I do actually change my gloves before I pull it down.

Usually only go through 2 in a shift. Can't be bothered changing it constantly. Wasteful.

I keep one in the car in a plastic sandwich bag and use it til I think it needs replacing.
    Tested fortnightly. Clear as a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Has anyone sneezed in one? Scary the amount of **** that we release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

big load of dried in gollier residue when you take the mask off

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you have ever tried to suppress a sneeze you know the sheer explosive force with which all that ^^^^ gets ejected in every direction unless covered.

I wear my mask for 11 hours of a 12 hour shift.
    I pull it down under chin when getting a drink then pull it back up again. I do actually change my gloves before I pull it down.

Usually only go through 2 in a shift. Can't be bothered changing it constantly. Wasteful.

I keep one in the car in a plastic sandwich bag and use it til I think it needs replacing.
    Tested fortnightly. Clear as a bell.

Thought putting under chin was a definite no no as worse than putting unwashed hands upto mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

More from Mater testing in IT this evening.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/speed-and-distance-covid-19-droplets-travel-tracked-by-researchers-in-mater-hospital-test-1.4366798

Importance of wearing masks demonstrated by experiments.

He said his research had shown that wearing masks had a dramatic impact on how far droplets could travel.

“Conspiracy theorists will have you believe masks can’t work because they virus is so small and can travel through material but that is to misunderstand the science. Yes, you can liken the virus to a minnow which can easily pass through a fishing net but the reality is that every minnow is travelling not in isolation but in a droplet of liquid and that is what the masks can catch.”

He said it was difficult to illustrate the spread of virus-carrying aerosols when it is “based on an abstract idea so what we are trying to show is what the spread actually looks like. You can think you know your environment and you can get very comfortable with it but when you can see exactly what is happening using this technology it is very shocking – and now we have a different way of looking at that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I hate to break it to you but we are gross, sweaty, steamy, blubbering animals. We shed hair and skin and our outsides and insides are full of tiny little horror creatures and bacteria and whatnot. And we survive not despite that but because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

More from Mater testing in IT this evening.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/speed-and-distance-covid-19-droplets-travel-tracked-by-researchers-in-mater-hospital-test-1.4366798

Importance of wearing masks demonstrated by experiments.

He said his research had shown that wearing masks had a dramatic impact on how far droplets could travel.

“Conspiracy theorists will have you believe masks can’t work because they virus is so small and can travel through material but that is to misunderstand the science. Yes, you can liken the virus to a minnow which can easily pass through a fishing net but the reality is that every minnow is travelling not in isolation but in a droplet of liquid and that is what the masks can catch.”

He said it was difficult to illustrate the spread of virus-carrying aerosols when it is “based on an abstract idea so what we are trying to show is what the spread actually looks like. You can think you know your environment and you can get very comfortable with it but when you can see exactly what is happening using this technology it is very shocking – and now we have a different way of looking at that.”

Yes but if you keep going you will find that as virus get stuck on a mask traveling in a droplet you can breathe it in or through mask anyway as it gets saturated with droplets containing viruses.
    So while that research was correct and mask will stop it, it should be noted that it will stop it to an extent. At some stage it become unreliable. Say that you breathe out nice amount of virus and then you sneeze through mask. It will send it flying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Yes but if you keep going you will find that as virus get stuck on a mask traveling in a droplet you can breathe it in or through mask anyway as it gets saturated with droplets containing viruses.
    So while that research was correct and mask will stop it, it should be noted that it will stop it to an extent. At some stage it become unreliable. Say that you breathe out nice amount of virus and then you sneeze through mask. It will send it flying out.

So nobody has an excuse not to wear one in appropriate settings. Good.

Somebody asked last week why covid cases went up with mask wearing and I gave a list of possible reasons. One of them being people eating and drinking in pubs/restaurants. I wasn't giving out about people eating or drinking in a restaurant, it's just fairly cop on that if a mask comes off, it's possible that cases will increase... Turns out there's 70 cases linked to pubs/restaurants in Cork. And that's just in Cork.

Not happy with those visors either because alot of people working in these places wears visors and still no ban on those visors.

Somebody asked last week why covid cases went up with mask wearing and I gave a list of possible reasons. One of them being people eating and drinking in pubs/restaurants. I wasn't giving out about people eating or drinking in a restaurant, it's just fairly cop on that if a mask comes off, it's possible that cases will increase... Turns out there's 70 cases linked to pubs/restaurants in Cork. And that's just in Cork.

Not happy with those visors either because alot of people working in these places wears visors and still no ban on those visors.

People arent wearing masks in each others homes though so id say thats a big driver of increase also

People arent wearing masks in each others homes though so id say thats a big driver of increase also

Absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,888 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

arccosh wrote: »
    big load of dried in gollier residue when you take the mask off

Wrong. A mask needs to be replaced immediately any time it becomes damp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Oh for god sake.when will the pro mask crowd admit that since masks became mandatory that the whole thing has gone tits up since.its sad the hysteria that sees people out in the fresh air on their own masked up.

• Advertisement

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Oh for god sake.when will the pro mask crowd admit that since masks became mandatory that the whole thing has gone tits up since.its sad the hysteria that sees people out in the fresh air on their own masked up.

If you're inside somebody else's home, how can they be outside in the fresh air?

Advertisement