Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They supported the law making them mandatory. You continue to demonstrate you're unable to tell the difference between what people want and what people support/recognise as necessary.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You're a very strange sort of person if you believe that forcing people by law to do something with consequences if they don't obey is equal to support...

Are people "forced" not to use their mobile phones when driving?

Are people "forced" not to drink and drive?

Are people "forced" not to park on double yellow lines?

Are people "forced" to get NCTs?

Are people "forced" to obey all speed limits?

Would their behaviour be different drink driving laws were recommendations only?

Does that mean people don't support traffic laws, or understand the need for speed limits, or safety checks on cars?

You don't seem to realise it is a very strange case you are making.

The vast majority of people don't want to murder, excessively speed, drink drive etc and choose not to. You only need a law to stop the small few that won't obey reasonable things. It's a no brainer that these things have support.

We can see that masks dont have support because hardly anybody is wearing one.

Where did I mention murder? I was talking about 'misdemeanour' crimes. You are really getting desperate now.

Once upon a time, the the majority of drivers drank and drove (by todays limits) and the majority of smokers smoked in offices, workplaces, cinemas, bars. The laws played a major part in changing that behaviour.

People don't want to use their phone when driving, or break parking laws, or speed... but oh I need to take this call / I need to run into the chemist and there's no spaces so I'll just put the hazards on / the road is wide and clear and there's no speed vans what's the harm in doing 60 in a 50...

We have laws to be a 'little policeman' in our head as well as the angel on our shoulder.

• Advertisement

You've completely, full scale lost the plot now.

You said that masks have support which I've proved to you that they haven't, based on the fact that nobody chooses to wear one.

If speed limits were removed tomorrow, would everyone start speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Are posters proving their own arguments now?

I thought that proof was decided independently or we'd have everybody arguing and saying they've proved their case simultaneously

We'd have a variety of proofs on every topic

Speeding would start to increase, and this effect would increase over time.

Similarly, if drink driving legislation, smoking in public, laws on parking on double yellow lines were dropped.

And what would it have been like if the original drink driving laws were dropped to advisory after 2 years? Or smoking in offices? Or NCTs?

The effect would be even greater. There would be a gradual increase until it approached significant if not majority of people ignoring the 'recommendation'.

People can support laws, and recognise them as necessary, while finding them inconvenient. One of the reasons for supporting it as a law is to provide a mental "kick up the behind" to do what's right - to yourself.

This is different to people's behaviour towards those laws. I have established both the principle, and the basis via the polls.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we move on. Both "sides" have made their points, but going over those points repeatedly achieves nothing except perhaps winding up readers of the thread

• Advertisement

Yet another poll in the journal today showing that the vast majority apparently want mandatory masks... In their headline they are claiming that 79% are in favour in public settings.

Very strange because hardly anyone is wearing them... Why don't those in favour wear them?

Also worth noting that it's redc running the poll. I did a few polls for them years ago and sometimes it automatically kicks you out if it doesn't like the answers you're giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

i just saw that and had a good laugh - where are all these mask wearers in the real world? What isn’t funny is the level of propaganda and lies that someone is constantly feeding us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Bizarre poll finding.

We really are a nation of hypocrits.

I have met people who have complained about people not wearing masks when they themselves don't wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Strange alright - there is nothing stopping someone from wearing a mask right now, so who are these 79% of people who support mandatory mask-wearing yet dont do it themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

well that’s not what the poll found. But click bait makes you think it did.

it asked if you want masks in certain settings (healthcare, transportation, etc). Then by extrapolation they concluded if you agree to masks in hospital (72%) you therefore agree to masks in any setting (79%). Basically manipulating numbers to suite an agenda.

so 79 pct do not want mandatory masks back. In certain scenarios they want them back only (basically healthcare and public transport)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

To add to above. If you do proper stats on this this is the only truth :

26% of people or less want to see the reintroduction of similar mask mandates as we previously had. But that’s not sexy and I suspect it less. This is nothing more than spinning numbers to suite an agenda.

and for those that say I am, I’ll give you a lesson in statistics . It won’t be pretty on your end

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

No, the majority of people don't want to have to wear masks, but they want OTHER PEOPLE to have to wear masks to protect THEM. Thats the way I see it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

They're at home ordering their food online, that's where they are.

I very much doubt the vast majority of people are staying home...

But if anyone is afraid and wants to stay home, they are welcome to do so and it's better than expecting millions of people to take actions to make you more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Where do they find these people to take the polls? You'd never hear of polls being released that "70% of people don't want to see masks coming back". It's all to fit a certain agenda I think

• Advertisement

But why should they stay home so that you can feel more comfortable and freedom? We share the place with everyone and you don't know how covid will affect others. Or maybe you do know but just don't care because you're happy going around the place telling people to hide under the bed.

Post edited by fun loving criminal on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Hah if only. if 75% of the population were staying at home it’d be lovely and empty everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I see Los Angeles county are masking up again. I was there in April and was planning another holiday there for September. Thankfully I haven’t purchased my flights yet. I’ll only book destinations that follow logical scientific conclusions not pseudoscience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I’m sure the medical staff will be happy to know they don’t need to wear masks if you need a operation, how about hand washing are you big into that or is it a pass as well?

Hand washing ? For a viral infection ? That’s about as scientific as a flat earth theory.

The medical staff and patients in hospitals should be wearing proper medical grade masks IF they are taking this seriously. A crumpled up piece of cloth on ones face is the very essence a theatrical exercise.

Wearing a crumpled up piece of cloth while doing a 10 minute SuperValu run is beyond believable at this point. As for walking into a bar with a mask and then sitting down with your drink with no mask ! We really have regressed 300 years as a species if anyone with an IQ over 40 thinks that’s of benefit.

I don’t know what the LA county government are doing reintroducing this insanity but then again I see their equivalent to our CMO talks to the public via video links in an office (100% on her own) wearing her crumpled up piece of cloth.

Complete agenda fueled and ultra leftist thinking is supporting this new mandate.

Masks were recommended by every major health authority in the world, by the experts whose job it is to assess such matters - based on case studies, lab trials, epidemiologic data and that was borne out by real world case studies in places as diverse as Bangladeshi villages, Arizona schools and Australian cities.

In repsonse you have nothing except a rant about pseudoscience & political conspiracy theory nonsense about 'agenda fueled' whatever that means.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Wow so selective.... mask change shape, material and work when every it suits you.... got it really scientific then - or to call it what it is just another a lot of BS.

B…. Bah haha . How weak of a reply.

How’s the science behind the effectiveness of masks stacking up on your side?

You see the video of the guy vaping and exhaling on YouTube. Look it up , it’s Hilarious .

Maybe the pro maskers should create another cartoon video (scientific alrite) supporting masks effectiveness.

LMAO

• Advertisement

Looks like a darth vader Comic-Con convention. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so tragic. Take a bow Mrs Adern

Advertisement