Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Came across a news piece from today with the CMO encouraging masks and something mentioned about a mask mandate.

How can they even think about a mask mandate when they won't even recommend FFP2 masks. Other countries recommended them but not here for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Whatever about the CMO's advice, some us don't require it because we started wearing masks months before the HSE originally advised wearing them in 2020.

It's common sense, on public transport to protect yourself by wearing a mask - and not be so eager to breath in all the viruses, not just COVID, that you will be subjected to when packed like sardines on buses, trains etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Newsflash humans have needed to interact with viruses and bacteria to survive for millennia.hid away from the rest of the world those that want to.the vast majority have decided it’s all bollix and aren’t frightened to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

If you were really concerned about those viruses you would not use public transport. Masks reduce the risks but if you use public transport every day at this time of year it’s highly likely you will be infected anyway. It’s only a tiny proportion of people that will get through a winter without catching something.

• Advertisement

If mask wearing reduces the spread of COVID and other viruses, then specific individuals must benefit, escape infection completely or experience less severe infection.

The Czech republic experience back in 2020, showed clearly how the reproductive number 'R' crashed when mask wearing was introduced on public transport.

Was that Czech study just for covid? Did the Czechs also have other restrictions? The worry now is not covid, it’s the combination of viruses circulating. When the population is overrun with viruses the effects of masks in public transport alone logically will go way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

# Jackboy

AFAIK yes, COVID. There again, in the UK it was noted that during the most concentrated mask wearing period in 2020, presentations of the flu dropped off.

Why would masks stop one virus but not others ?

It would seem different types of viruses are coming down the tracks in ever increasing numbers and perhaps because of this, mask wearing could eventually become the norm.

Does it help though look what happened in China

• Advertisement

The spread of viruses crashed because of extreme lockdowns. Mask wearing in public transport alone is unlikely to have a big impact after the variety of viruses have already spread through the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I doubt if masks will become the norm. Just flew into JFK. I probably saw about 2 or 3 people with a mask on at Dublin Airport. No one had a mask on the 7 hour flight.

i hate to break it to the mask and restrictions lovers fortunately masks have gone out of fashion just like the white socks did.

People have moved and don’t care 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You are free to wear one if you want, what difference does it make to you whether the government recommend them or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If the govt mandate them, then the pro-maskers get to TELL other people that they have to wear a mask. It’s a power trip thing I think.

No sign of any mandate coming

There's nowhere else in Europe bringing in new mandates afaik ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Don't you think you are coming to this thread just to stirr up the usual anti mask agenda? Honestly?

You were the first one mentioning mask mandate here after long time..

Just out of curiosity, is it some kind of strategy in between few loons who can't let it go and then thank to each others posts.., or is it just one clown with multiple accounts?

In either of the scenarios, lack of common sense is just bad. In my own opinion of course!

I’m currently in Sweden and although some people on Boards probably think it’s absolutely horrific over here because they had the temerity to off message regarding Covid I can happily confirm it’s the exact opposite. I was in a city today roughly the size of Galway and saw not one single mask and not one single social distancing sticker. Nobody talking about it either. It’s like it never happened. Wonderfully refreshing I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The fcuking audacity of someone on a discussion board having a different opinion. Must definitely be on the wind up or one person with multiple accounts because who could possibly have a different opinion to you.

Is this the level of Boards nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yup and some peeps lost ability to read too.. Boards nowadays.

Poster I've replied to is posting his "mask mandate questions" every couple of weeks. And being followed by usual masks don't work crowd without any doubt. I would call it, and excuse me here for using favourite rhetorics of some posters on COVID threads, fear mongering. Ringing the bell?

And just to let you know, those two last pages (or whatever number of pages it it, cuz I'm reading it on my phone ) on this thread clearly indicates that different opinions are not allowed here..

And you say fcuking audacity...

# Don't Chute

Except for it is happening over there. At a particular company event near Stockholm some weeks back some people from Ireland brought COVID back with them. Nothing serious but while everyone may be fatigued, and understandably so by COVID, it isn't finished with us yet, by a long shot.

• Advertisement

Nothing serious? What’s the problem then? I don’t get what you are saying here…

It is happening over there is what I'm saying. That the visiting group of people brought it home to Ireland is proof of that. The problem is COVID hasn't, or worse, isn't going away.

I don’t think you get my point. I’m basically saying we have to live with this thing now. The Swedes realized that a long time ago we still haven’t grasped it and don’t look like grasping it anytime soon. Your thing about this visiting group which may or may not exist coming home with Covid which may or may not have happened doesn’t mean anything and it certainly doesn’t prove anything, if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Outside of a few diehard anti mask/anti restruction types on social media its not really been spoke about here. But some people refuse to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Aside from my aversion to mask wearing and whether they are effective now with Omicron and no other restrictions in place (not very imo, but wear one if you want);

There are some concerning risks with ffp2 masks for older people that warrants further study. This study concluded that “Older adults were more vulnerable to FFP2 mask-induced hypercarbia, arterial oxygen decline, blood pressure fluctuations and concomitant physiological and metabolic effects.”

Larger studies needed but the tests at rest conducted were for 30 mins for adults under 60 and just 15 mins for adults over 60, less that 15mins if o2 saturation dropped below 94%.

As I understand it, Sweden is now recommending mask wearing on public transport and in crowded settings. You are right, we all have to live with the present mix of respiratory viruses, including COVID, but we don't have to snort them in by not wearing masks when we're inches away from other faces on public transport, and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I've watched this debate play out over a number of posters now.

It's pretty simple. Wear one if you want, if you don't want to wear one then don't

It can't get more straightforward than that.

There's no point in arguing over masks, it's each person's choice no matter what way you come at the subject.

If you want to wear one which you clearly do then fire away nobody is going to stop you, that's your choice

Well if they are, nobody is listening to them. Did you wear a mask pre Covid? I’ll bet you didn’t.

Some are and it will increase. No, I didn't, but I learned a lot from the first 1,000 posts of Part 1 of the Mask thread (not this current one).

Did you read them ? I'll bet you didn't.

Post edited by railer201 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Advertisement