Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

robinph wrote: »
    We can test your theory on how much of an impact the face shield would protect you from, or if you'd prefer how much it would disrupt the protecting qualities of an airbag.

Put one on and get someone to punch you in the face, then let us know if it still hurts or if you have a broken nose or not. if you survive that without a broken nose then for a control test take the mask off and get them to punch you in the face again just in order to prove if they were punching you hard enough.

Let us know if there is any discernible difference from having that foam and thin plastic sheet infront of your nose.

Here’s hoping you’re not a researcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Speaking of airbags and other driving stuff.

Seen an adult in Hyundai Kona protecting the environment and the humanity wearing a mask driving on his own with phone stuck to his ear.

Well done Mr safe lol.

At least he won't catch the virus.

If it wasn't civilized world I would punch him in the mask :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

3xh wrote: »
    Here’s hoping you’re not a researcher!

That is genuinely a good sign that you are able to notice that my proposed experiment might not be 100% accurate in it's methodology.

But you have yet to explain your theory on how the wearing of a mask made out of foam and thin plastic will cause someone's forehead to separate from their chin such that they both rotate in opposite directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

wonski wrote: »

Seen an adult in Hyundai Kona protecting the environment and the humanity wearing a mask driving on his own with phone stuck to his ear.

Well done Mr safe lol.

So what's wrong with him wearing his mask in his car. Lots of people do it are doing it. Maybe he works in an environment where he needs to wear it for long periods so wearing it is just 2nd nature to him now or maybe he is going go pick someone up with an underlying condition and wants to keep us car free of Covid if he were to have it or get it.
    If everyone done as this gentleman does then there would be less deaths and the virus would go away quicker.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,977 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well done Mr safe lol.

I assume that's for the mobile phone offence...

On the mask front:
    He should really have passed out due to buildup of carbon dioxide and crashed the car...based on some fantasy comments on this thread :)

Or maybe, his kid had been sick in the car and he was bringing it to valet. (the sitcom explanation)

Or maybe, he finds he easier to fit the mask once, go about different locations, then take off the mask - without having to take the mask on and off and fidget with it. (the likely explanation)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I assume that's for the mobile phone offence...

On the mask front:
    He should really have passed out due to buildup of carbon dioxide and crashed the car...based on some fantasy comments on this thread :)

Or maybe, his kid had been sick in the car and he was bringing it to valet. (the sitcom explanation)

Or maybe, he finds he easier to fit the mask once, go about different locations, then take off the mask - without having to take the mask on and off and fidget with it. (the likely explanation)

No. I know these types. Nice that you try to bring some sense into it, but no.

And not to be able to use Bluetooth on a new car is a sign we are talking about the special ones. I only noticed him because his driving was very strange and unique in a way, carbon dioxide perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ah, the arbitor of masks has been promoted to arbitor of deaths has he. The numbers up. People are realising that this is totally blown out of proportion. We’ll be back to normal within a month.

Your delerios lol. I doubt it. There is a long road to go yet. This virus will not go away unless people stick to the measures and the restrictions put in place.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That is genuinely a good sign that you are able to notice that my proposed experiment might not be 100% accurate in it's methodology.

But you have yet to explain your theory on how the wearing of a mask made out of foam and thin plastic will cause someone's forehead to separate from their chin such that they both rotate in opposite directions.

Haha! I actually didn’t say that! The forehead separating from the chin.

The airbag is designed to have the face hit it in the middle. Having that yoke on will alter that process. The question is simple; would you rather be wearing a shield in a crash than not? I’d rather not.

Notwithstanding the implications with the airbag versus shield, why would a taxi driver even wear one? In their car. To do so shows a complete lack of understanding of their main role. They’re basically spit guards, to give the wearer the needed protection against immediate contamination release like a spontaneously coughing/sneezing patient etc. Not a driver yapping and breathing in the presence of a passenger for 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

No. I know these types. Nice that you try to bring some sense into it, but no.

And not to be able to use Bluetooth on a new car is a sign we are talking about the special ones. I only noticed him because his driving was very strange and unique in a way, carbon dioxide perhaps?

So your issue is with a guy talking on his phone while driving, fair enough, what has the mask got to do with it?

Was he wearing a jumper? you should toddle off to the jumper forum and tell them how you would like to punch the guy....bloody jumper wearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Wow. That is actually incredible, if true.
    Incredible it took that long. You would think the powers to be would have connected the dots between high healthcare infection rates and low mask usage.

it really highlights the ineptitude of the hse that they are only mandating this now.

Certainly illustrates the complete mess that is the HSE and that is Irish Covid19 guidance.

I do not swallow that the HSE are once again having to change their mask policy because of public opinion that's just a typical save face excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Haha! I actually didn’t say that! The forehead separating from the chin.

Yeah you did:

That extra inch protrusion is the difference between hitting a fully inflated airbag which will now absorb the incoming head and one still rapidly expanding. The headband part will cause the head to rotate backwards about the neck while the chin area continues forward.

AMKC wrote: »
    So what's wrong with him wearing his mask in his car. Lots of people do it are doing it. Maybe he works in an environment where he needs to wear it for long periods so wearing it is just 2nd nature to him now or maybe he is going go pick someone up with an underlying condition and wants to keep us car free of Covid if he were to have it or get it.
    If everyone done as this gentleman does then there would be less deaths and the virus would go away quicker.

Maybe because the issue is that he was on his ****ing phone and drove in a way that I have noticed him? So what we ignore all other issues as long as the guy is wearing mask?

People wear masks and all and the virus is still spreading around like a virus.

Second nature, give me a break. I have to wear a mask at work and there is no second nature. I like to take it off and most people do. Especially when on their own.

The virus will not go away because this gentleman wore a mask driving the car.

But if he improves his driving we might get less people killed on the road this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

how are the czechs getting on with their masks?

Sconsey wrote: »
    So your issue is with a guy talking on his phone while driving, fair enough, what has the mask got to do with it?

Was he wearing a jumper? you should toddle off to the jumper forum and tell them how you would like to punch the guy....bloody jumper wearer.

No my issue is with people not getting their priorities right.

If you see someone in front of you driving like an idiot and wearing a mask looks like he wants to save the country from the virus but doesn't give a **** about other stuff that can cause harm or death?

Am I clear now?

You can wear mask and all, but don't forget of all other duties you have.

Hope you get me now.

Maybe because the issue is that he was on his ****ing phone and drove in a way that I have noticed him? So what we ignore all other issues as long as the guy is wearing mask?

People wear masks and all and the virus is still spreading around like a virus.

Second nature, give me a break. I have to wear a mask at work and there is no second nature. I like to take it off and most people do. Especially when on their own.

The virus will not go away because this gentleman wore a mask driving the car.

But if he improves his driving we might get less people killed on the road this year ;)

Did the mask cause the erratic driving or the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Gestapo? you are in deeper than I thought. Carry on, the basic mechanics of how masks work is obviously lost on you.

You're the one wetting yourself over a virus that no deadlier than the common flu. Be honest. You'd get in an unmarked train car to be taken to an undisclosed location if they told you it was for the greater good.

Did the mask cause the erratic driving or the phone?

After further consideration I am not sure.

Maybe it was the mask. He had both mask and phone at his face. Just can't tell :)

Hope there are more people like him anyway. Saving the world and all that.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    You're the one wetting yourself over a virus that no deadlier than the common flu. Be honest. You'd get in an unmarked train car to be taken to an undisclosed location if they told you it was for the greater good.

Keep digging.

If you see someone in front of you driving like an idiot and wearing a mask looks like he wants to save the country from the virus but doesn't give a **** about other stuff that can cause harm or death?
    Am I clear now?
    Hope you get me now.

People were driving badly, with a phone in hand, before masks.
    This is completely absurd to somehow tie it to masks.
    This story has absolutely nothing to do with masks. Not one iota.

Am I clear now?

Hope you get me now.

Yeah I get you now, your point is clear...and stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

AMKC wrote: »

I think it would be a good idea to adopt a similar mask policy to Taiwan, Thailand, Australia etc. Once you leave the house - you wear your mask, end of.

Its an extreme approach, uncomfortable, and wholly unnecessary in certain scenarios but taking this drastic approach on a temporary basis would seriously hinder the virus from spreading.

Yeah you did:

Haha! No I didn’t! The quote doesn’t even say it, robinph!

You’re saying your interpretation of me saying the head rotated backwards about the neck while the chin goes forwards to mean the jaw bone breaks off and ends up in the engine block?! Haha!

Here, this; If I push the top of your forehead back, your skull will pivot about the neck and by doing so, your chin moves forward.

The point of the original post was that in a crash, only a Covid fearing driver would be glad they had their shield on at the time. The secondary point was questioning how does a taxi driver think the shield offers any Covid protection in a car with a passenger? Talking or no talking? They’re not designed for that kind of protection. They’re for spontaneous contamination occasions and give the wearer that protection needed to then remove themselves from the area. Not sit in a car all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Keep digging.

So that's a Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

how are the czechs getting on with their masks?

The Czech Republic’s government plans to declare a state of emergency from Monday, allowing it to put stricter limits on public gatherings and shut schools to stop the spread of the new coronavirus from overwhelming the health system. The country of 10.7 million reported 1,965 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, the fourth straight day below 2,000 after a recent surge, health ministry data showed on Wednesday. The country has seen Europe’s second largest jump in cases of the novel coronavirus, behind Spain.

Masks are so helpful.

Haha! No I didn’t! The quote doesn’t even say it, robinph!

You’re saying your interpretation of me saying the head rotated backwards about the neck while the chin goes forwards to mean the jaw bone breaks off and ends up in the engine block?! Haha!

Here, this; If I push the top of your forehead back, your skull will pivot about the neck and by doing so, your chin moves forward.

The point of the original post was that in a crash, only a Covid fearing driver would be glad they had their shield on at the time. The secondary point was questioning how does a taxi driver think the shield offers any Covid protection in a car with a passenger? Talking or no talking? They’re not designed for that kind of protection. They’re for spontaneous contamination occasions and give the wearer that protection needed to then remove themselves from the area. Not sit in a car all day!

If that isn't what you wanted to say then you need to try harder at explaining yourself more clearly then as stating that your head rotates one way whilst the chin goes another way can only mean that you think they are going in different directions, which presumably means you think they have separated from each other somehow?!?

But ignoring that obviously ludicrous suggestion, you are now switching to complaining about the wearing of the shield instead because it doesn't protect the driver or passenger. That at least fits with the topic of the thread. It's pretty much agreed on here that the shields are less useful than a face mask so what do you want us to say, well done for having noticed.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    So that's a Yes.

No it's a: you don't have a clue about the basic physics behind how carbon dioxide passes through and out of masks, you don't trust scientific experts, you prefer to think there is a gestapo conspiracy (LOL). Like I say, more appropriate for facebook rather then here.

Bottom line, your assertion that masks are causing carbon dioxide poisoning is nonsense. The rest of your gestapo/unmarked train carriages stuff is just making you sound insane.

The Czech Republic’s government plans to declare a state of emergency from Monday, allowing it to put stricter limits on public gatherings and shut schools to stop the spread of the new coronavirus from overwhelming the health system. The country of 10.7 million reported 1,965 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, the fourth straight day below 2,000 after a recent surge, health ministry data showed on Wednesday. The country has seen Europe’s second largest jump in cases of the novel coronavirus, behind Spain.
    Masks are so helpful.

They are re-introducing mandatory masks.
    "The Czech Republic had already introduced a blanket face mask requirement in March, soon after the pandemic struck Europe, and managed to keep virus figures lower than most of the continent. But in May, the centre-left government eased most of the restrictions, and the number of new cases started to rise again."
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-czechs-reintroduce-masks-indoors-virus.html

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They are re-introducing mandatory masks.
    "The Czech Republic had already introduced a blanket face mask requirement in March, soon after the pandemic struck Europe, and managed to keep virus figures lower than most of the continent. But in May, the centre-left government eased most of the restrictions, and the number of new cases started to rise again."
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-czechs-reintroduce-masks-indoors-virus.html

Tbf, it’s folly to think the rates came down in one country because they were the first to implement mass mask wearing.

Don’t the experts say we got our big dose of cases/hospitalisations/ICU/deaths from the rugby fans and the drinking that ensued while they were here plus the students returning from school trips? Ireland probably has a higher proportion of international passenger travel, both destination and transfer traffic, than Czechia?

The transmission reduction could be for another reason.

I think it would be a good idea to adopt a similar mask policy to Taiwan, Thailand, Australia etc. Once you leave the house - you wear your mask, end of.

Its an extreme approach, uncomfortable, and wholly unnecessary in certain scenarios but taking this drastic approach on a temporary basis would seriously hinder the virus from spreading.

The only issue with that I have is that wearing the masks did not stop the virus here.

The numbers are growing despite people actually wearing them. So what's the next step?

We failed at many things, but we wear them.

And why Taiwan or Australia. Stop people from coming here again and see if anything changes.

I wore a mask, I stopped my social life for months and the numbers keep growing.

I worked my ass off through the original centre of the pandemic and seen no improvement. I have not seen the virus either. We had hundreds of people quarantined or self isolating at work over the months and zero positive cases.

Just symptomatic tested negative or close contacts of asymptomatic tested positive.

Work in Kildare, at some point the epicentrum of the pandemic... Go figure.

We didn't wear the masks back then, now some do, but not compulsory yet.

It changed nothing. I am starting to have my doubts. I remember the Chechs being mentioned million of times around yet there numbers were similar to others. And now growing just like everywhere else.

So keep your mask on for another few weeks, see the numbers not changing at all and tell me what are we on about.

• Advertisement

Tbf, it’s folly to think the rates came down in one country because they were the first to implement mass mask wearing.

Don’t the experts say we got our big dose of cases/hospitalisations/ICU/deaths from the rugby fans and the drinking that ensued while they were here plus the students returning from school trips? Ireland probably has a higher proportion of international passenger travel, both destination and transfer traffic, than Czechia?

The transmission reduction could be for another reason.

There are no rugby fans any more. No drinking, no students returning from school trips. Where is that second wave coming from now after weeks of wearing masks?

Advertisement