Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

is_that_so wrote: »
    GP wants to ban visors is the actual story not that they are useless. As I said in my "ad hominem attack", really not a helpful thing to say. GPs should be looking after patients not making public health pronouncements.

A lot wearing visors just wear them on their head and not in front of their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

seekers wrote:
    A lot wearing visors just wear them on their head and not in front of their face.
    Visors should be banned. Immediately. Not accepted by retail as a face covering. Piece of t-shirt over your gob demonstrably stops way more droplets than a visor.

Seen a fella with sci-fi type visor on his face yesterday. It was upside down - the shield was facing upward sort of...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

McGiver wrote: »
    Visors should be banned. Immediately. Not accepted by retail as a face covering. Piece of t-shirt over your gob demonstrably stops way more droplets than a visor.

Seen a fella with sci-fi type visor on his face yesterday. It was upside down - the shield was facing upward sort of...

Maybe he was expecting meteor shower. You never know these days.

Had a look at the CDC website. Very clear what the routes of infection are and what the focus should be!
    1. COVID-19 most commonly spreads during close contact - by droplets land in your face, eyes, mouth, nose

2. COVID-19 can sometimes be spread by airborne transmission - you inhale a cloud of aerosols

3. COVID-19 spreads less commonly through contact with contaminated surfaces - you touch contaminated surface and then your mouth, nose, eyes

But our experts didn't bother to keep track of the development and update the bloody guidelines.

So we'll keep wiping our arses in gloves and OCD sterilising of surfaces. But we will keep all indoor places with no masks and most workplaces with no masks unventilated. Geniuses really. These people are clowns. Change of the government helped a bit, but they're still clowns.

I'm not discouraging sanitising hands and cleaning at all. Sanitising hands is a good habit, even during the flu season, but I'm saying that there is too much focus on what's secondary and lack of focus on what's primary, and the government messaging is also incorrect in the same way.

Masks and social distancing are absolutely primary and essential as they address the primary vectors - droplets and aerosols.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Further support for this POV:
    Visors ‘do not protect people in any significant way’ – TCD virologist

Dr Robert’s concerns about the increasing popularity of face visors instead of face masks and their ineffectiveness were echoed by UCD engineer Dr Kevin Nolan....
    He has also been able to demonstrate how effective or otherwise face coverings and visors are. “Face visors just don’t work,” Dr Nolan told The Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I haven't seen any of these non mask wearing people. Any shop I've been in everyone was wearing them except for one morning at like 6 am seen one fella in a petrol station paying for fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

There is some 'saying' in the newspaper industry: that when there is a overwhelming crisis; it is then the time to post in the really sinister stories- in order that it can be said, that "we did cover that story".

Dentists in Waterford; there are 37. And in the last month or so 15 of those Dentists in Waterford, have Completely left the Medical Card Scheme; and only will take Private Insurance patients and PRSI patients.

Of the 15 dentists that have left the Medical Card Scheme; I am fairly sure that at the very least 5 of those are of the Fianna Fail persuasion, [maybe more].

So whilst the distraction of Masks continues: Fianna Fail are nicely crushing their heel on the dispossessed; and fawningly ensuring that the Egos of Private Insurance [and PRSI], will genteelly vote for Them. Fianna Fail are about the creation for their [initially state product] voters; being now out of, And Above the sphere of most persons.

There is some 'saying' in the newspaper industry: that when there is a overwhelming crisis; it is then the time to post in the really sinister stories- in order that it can be said, that "we did cover that story".

Dentists in Waterford; there are 37. And in the last month or so 15 of those Dentists in Waterford, have Completely left the Medical Card Scheme; and only will take Private Insurance patients and PRSI patients.

Of the 15 dentists that have left the Medical Card Scheme; I am fairly sure that at the very least 5 of those are of the Fianna Fail persuasion, [maybe more].

So whilst the distraction of Masks continues: Fianna Fail are nicely crushing their heel on the dispossessed; and fawningly ensuring that the Egos of Private Insurance [and PRSI], will genteelly vote for Them. Fianna Fail are about the creation for their [initially state product] voters; being now out of, And Above the sphere of most persons.

Don't understand why did you put that sentence in your post. Seems like it has nothing to do with rest of it. Pretty sure there's some Dentist thread somewhere on Boards.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is some 'saying' in the newspaper industry
    Take your political commentary to the Current Affairs or Politics forum. This one is for discussion of Coronavirus topics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Tork

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I haven't seen any of these non mask wearing people. Any shop I've been in everyone was wearing them except for one morning at like 6 am seen one fella in a petrol station paying for fuel

Good for you. I saw two in Super Valu this evening. A smartarse who'd pulled his down under his chin in Tesco at the weekend and a woman with an obvious cold (I hope...) in a convenience store the other evening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Had a look at the CDC website. Very clear what the routes of infection are and what the focus should be!

But our experts didn't bother to keep track of the development and update the bloody guidelines.

So we'll keep wiping our arses in gloves and OCD sterilising of surfaces. But we will keep all indoor places with no masks and most workplaces with no masks unventilated. Geniuses really. These people are clowns. Change of the government helped a bit, but they're still clowns.

I'm not discouraging sanitising hands and cleaning at all. Sanitising hands is a good habit, even during the flu season, but I'm saying that there is too much focus on what's secondary and lack of focus on what's primary, and the government messaging is also incorrect in the same way.

Masks and social distancing are absolutely primary and essential as they address the primary vectors - droplets and aerosols.

I'd like to add ventilation to your list. Masks, distancing and ventilation are the most important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

I'm still finding it unpredictable. I was in a branch of a major international coffee chain recently and one of the staff members was just wearing a mask on his chin and took it off (handling it) to talk to me!

I don't know how hard it is to get the basics through to people. It's like some people just seem to really not have the intellect to take it on board, rather than they're just stubborn. They're probably the same people who don't wash their hands when they go to the toilet, and you see that happening quite a lot. You're there washing your hands and some guy walks away from the urinal and straight out the door.

I was also in a coffee shop (pre level 3) a few days ago and they'd deliberately left the doors open to maximise ventilation. Lady walks in, closes both doors.
    Staff member opens them again. Customer goes on a rant about how it's 'freezing!' and it really was not cold at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I would never criticise someone who can't wear a mask for health reasons and even the elderly as they have plenty of ****e to deal with.

But ****ing hell, people who are not wearing masks properly? Why? Its incredibly basic , genuinely is no excuse for it, nearly as annoying as all the "rebels" who don't wear them.

And visors, better than nothing but barely, need much more from the government about how they should only be a worst case scenario.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I would never criticise someone who can't wear a mask for health reasons and even the elderly as they have plenty of ****e to deal with.

But ****ing hell, people who are not wearing masks properly? Why? Its incredibly basic , genuinely is no excuse for it, nearly as annoying as all the "rebels" who don't wear them.

And visors, better than nothing but barely, need much more from the government about how they should only be a worst case scenario.

I don't see how visors can work at all tbh. They are intended to be used to prevent splatter during medical procedures and are normally worn in combination with masks.

All they're doing is diverting someone's breath sideways / downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I've seen people wear these and similar

4hvgg9.jpg

I mean wtf? Who is that supposed to protect? I've also heard first hand accounts of restaurant staff wearing them.

You may as well be wearing your underwear on your head for all those bits of plastic are of any use.

gozunda wrote: »
    I've seen people wear these and similar

I mean wtf? Who is that supposed to protect?

It's basically a fig leaf to protect them against the law. That's all and I'm sure they know it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

Interesting thoughts from a Spanish doctor on masks: https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/2020/10/08/5f7f2d3c22601d4f078b45ed.html

Dionaibh wrote: »
    Interesting thoughts from a Spanish doctor on masks: https://www.marca.com/en/lifestyle/2020/10/08/5f7f2d3c22601d4f078b45ed.html

Yup def interesting thoughts..:D

" Why should I wear masks? To annoy myself? You swallow CO2, you produce carbo-haemoglobin in your body and over time you get dementia."

gozunda wrote:
    I mean wtf? Who is that supposed to protect? I've also heard first hand accounts of restaurant staff wearing them.

That's the sci-fi upside down visor I'd seen. Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's the sci-fi upside down visor I'd seen. Pointless.
    The amount of time people spend brooding about others' use of face coverings is equally pointless!

• Advertisement

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Yup def interesting thoughts..:D

" Why should I wear masks? To annoy myself? You swallow CO2, you produce carbo-haemoglobin in your body and over time you get dementia."

He claims that no one has died from COVID-19 and that there have been fewer deaths this year than in 2018.

We're supposed to believe that doctors can suddenly cease to know anything about medicine if they go against the narrative. Professor Risch in the US, for example, argues for the use of hydroxychloroquine and because he goes against the war on the drug he is dismissed. This is a distinguished professor and epidemiologist we're talking about. It shows the power of the media.

He claims that no one has died from COVID-19 and that there have been fewer deaths this year than in 2018.

We're supposed to believe that doctors can suddenly cease to know anything about medicine if they go against the narrative. Professor Risch in the US, for example, argues for the use of hydroxychloroquine and because he goes against the war on the drug he is dismissed. This is a distinguished professor and epidemiologist we're talking about. It shows the power of the media.

To be honest man, I don't give a shīt what that guy claims. It's just nonsense being spread over and over again. Doesn't matter how many times these claims were debunked, there is always a minority of people who would buy it as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,980 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Professor Risch is wrong then, because your other professor says no one died, so why the need for hydroxychloroquine. Your conspiracy theory nutjob professors can't stick to the narrative apparently.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Professor Risch is wrong then, because your other professor says no one died, so why the need for hydroxychloroquine. Your conspiracy theory nutjob professors can't stick to the narrative apparently.

Why are they conspiracy theorists just because they disagree with the narrative? Did Professor Risch make up that 53 studies have shown hydroxychloroquine to be effective? The Spanish doctor claims to have evidence. I would like to see what the evidence is and draw my own conclusions. I'm not going to insult him by calling him a nutjob.

To be honest man, I don't give a shīt what that guy claims. It's just nonsense being spread over and over again. Doesn't matter how many times these claims were debunked, there is always a minority of people who would buy it as a fact.

It'd be interesting to see what his evidence is. He claims to have evidence.

It'd be interesting to see what his evidence is. He claims to have evidence.

Well it will be loooong wait, bet any money you won't hear about him again, certainly not about his evidence.

Well it will be loooong wait, bet any money you won't hear about him again, certainly not about his evidence.

You might be right, or the media might ignore him. That often happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

is_that_so wrote: »
    The amount of time people spend brooding about others' use of face coverings is equally pointless!

Highlighting what some eejits are wearing by way of masks is certainly not.

But if anyone wishes to continously "brood' on that - feel free to do so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

gozunda wrote: »
    Highlighting what some eejits are wearing by way of masks is certainly not.

But if anyone wishes to continously "brood' on that - feel free to do so ...
    Sitting in judgement over people you don't know is a waste of energy but some people have discovered they do that a whole lot more now and they like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It took the first seven words of the first sentence to put this in context, thanks for sharing.....
    "Doctor Gabriel Ruiz, a well-known denier of COVID-19"

Advertisement