Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,270 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Its human nature to judge other on there actions ,
    If you refuse to wear a mask just because then iv every right to hold my own personally opinion of you ,

Exactly, such is living in a democracy... the ability to have an opinion and express it about anything, events, peoples actions, inactions and outright selfishness ... which people who WONT wear a mask won’t get as it isn’t about helping society as a collective even when armed will all necessary advice and expertise it’s just about THEM.... unless you have asthma or some similar verifiable problem you should be wearing one..

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

robinph wrote: »
    The over the mouth but not the nose is daft. Was in to collect some prescriptions during the week and only 50% of the staff were wearing masks, and those that were had them under the nose. They were separated from the public (mostly) and have been the same people working together in the same small space for the entire duration, but you'd still think they would be trying to set a good example.

I think the people pulling the mask down to speak are just doing it as a reflex action and don't realise. They just need to be gently reminded to pay attention and put the mask back on. Don't think they are doing it deliberately or out of ignorance, just being forgetful of why they had the mask on in the first place.

Tell the chief pharmacist of your concern regarding non- compliance with face coverings and what a bad example it sets. If un co-operative I would then gently suggest you dont want to complain to the Pharmaceutical Society or Gardaí but may have no option. This is no laughing matter, the Pharmacist' s customers would be vulnerable at risk groups and Covid could be very grave if contracted by staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Why would you NOT wear a mask indoors if scientifically proven to protect your fellow citizens for God's sake?

Not getting into it all again.

Masks ain’t scientifically proven anywhere bar in controlled laboratory environments.

Mandatory mask wearing has had a really good effect since being introduced ....

The cases have all but disappeared since they have been made mandatory.

Masks are a placebo and nothing more.

Remember we flattened the curve downwards without any masks

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

I have to deal with the public sometimes in work, the amount of people that remove mask when communicating is shocking.

More education on mask etiquette is definitely needed.

I watched an oireachtas Covid hearing the other day. There’s an outer and inner semi circle of seats for representatives. During the hearing, two TDs were caught on camera leaning in to speak with one another.

What did they do?! Pulled down their masks, chatted to each then leaned back and raised their masks! This. On tv. At an oireachtas Covid hearing on transport. You couldn’t make it up.

I’m actually of the view the masks are pointless but I say this to highlight our political leaders who rule on our ‘guidelines’ can’t even do the obvious!

Not getting into it all again.

Mandatory mask wearing has had a really good effect since being introduced ....

The cases have all but disappeared since they have been made mandatory.

Masks are a placebo and nothing more.

The reason covid numbers increased is total lockdown was removed, people became complacent as regards infection control measures and there's widespread non -compliance with social distancing, - This is my observation in the city I live anyway.

Had mask wearing indoors not been implemented earlier then numbers would be higher.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Best thing for yourself and appropriately named “Away with the fairies “ is to stay home and hide under the bed for two years.

Falling over furniture to get away from someone who has no mask on is worrying to say the least.

But this is what the media has created mass fear which some will never recover from

Glad you're happy to get close to people and continue the spread. Good lad yourself.

Glad you're happy to get close to people and continue the spread. Good lad yourself.

You have to have it to spread it.

Fear is the main thing that’s being spread.

24/7 fear mongering

Why would you NOT wear a mask indoors if scientifically proven to protect your fellow citizens for God's sake?

Yes, let me guess. Before all this Covid show started, you still wore a mask just in case you infected somebody with flu and to further reduce your chance of catching something off somebody else?

It had nothing to do with the incessant media coverage encouraging mask use? Do you not wear one outside? Like other countries’ medical departments urge, through use of fines.

Some people need to be told how and when to breathe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

24/7 fear mongering

Over 1 million dead is fear mongering? Right so.

24/7 fear mongering

One word for you: asymptomatic

You can have the virus and not have any symptoms. It's why we have to stay away from people and wear a mask.

• Advertisement

250,000 dead?! Is this boards dot com??!!

Check your figures again. It’s alleged we’re up to 1m worldwide already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

You can have the virus and not have any symptoms. It's why we have to stay away from people and wear a mask.

Interestingly, these are the exact same symptoms as not having the virus.

3xh wrote: »
    250,000 dead?! Is this boards dot com??!!

Check your figures again. It’s alleged we’re up to 1m worldwide already.

I did

and it is spreading faster than at any point to now.

Like the thousands who had this killer virus but didn’t even know they had it.

Live like that if you like but I ain’t

Serious question now. How long do you plan on keeping away from people and wearing a mask ?

The vaccine is never gonna be found. They haven’t found one yet for a Coronavirus so that’s a long shot to say the least.

Covidiots. There's a lot of them around.

Covidiots. There's a lot of them around.

1 consolation is the ones pulling masks down over their noses are mouthbreaters anyway. Slim consolation but some.

sabat wrote: »
    Interestingly, these are the exact same symptoms as not having the virus.

Being asymptomatic means you have the virus and can spread it.

Look up the story on Typhoid Mary. A different disease but Typhoid Mary was an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever. An Irish cook working in New York infecting households everywhere she worked.

Both bacterial and viral infections can have asymptomatic carriers. It's nothing new.

Being asymptomatic means you have the virus and can spread it.

Both bacterial and viral infections can have asymptomatic carriers. It's nothing new.

They’ve had asymptomatic spreaders in the past and they will in the future.

How long do we continue this ?

Cases are cases.

Restrictions need to be implemented based solely on hospital admissions WITH covid

paul71 wrote: »
    I did

and it is spreading faster than at any point to now.

When you spout this claim about it spreading faster than at any point to now, you obviously are aware of the test number figures between March and now.

How many tests were being done in March daily versus, say, this week? Or even September. Testing capacity is higher now, is a clue.

You’re a classic ‘won’t somebody please think of the children?!’ poster, regurgitating claims etc from an article you read or something NPHET hinted at.

1000 here, 600 there, so what. Big deal. We’d the same case numbers in April with a claimed corresponding elevated death rate. That death rate isn’t showing here again though.

For all the deaths and cases being announced by RTÉ each night, they invariably leave out the denotified numbers too.

It took a Covid oireachtas committee hearing for it to be confirmed publicly that if John breaks his leg and is also Covid positive, even asymptomatically, he’s entered as a Covid hospitalisation.

Lies. Damned lies. And statistics. Be careful you’re not being played.

paul71 wrote: »
    Covidiots. There’s a lot of them around.

1consolation is the ones pulling masks down over their noses are mouthbreaters anyway. Slim consolation but some.

Lovely. Disgraceful posting from both of you.

• Advertisement

It took a Covid oireachtas committee hearing for it to be confirmed publicly that if John breaks his leg and is also Covid positive, even asymptomatically, he’s entered as a Covid hospitalisation.

Lies. Damned lies. And statistics. Be careful you’re not being played.

So you want someone with covid and a broken leg be put down as a broken leg in hospital and then what? Do you want them to share a room with other non-covid patients because of their broken leg?

So you want someone with covid and a broken leg be put down as a broken leg in hospital and then what? Do you want them to share a room with other non-covid patients because of their broken leg?

I want NPHET to clearly state in their briefings and to insist the media accurately quote them in their reports when they say hospitalisations at X today but half of X are in hospital primarily for non Covid related ailments and so although the hospitalisation figure is X, we’re not that concerned.

They don’t do that. They deliberately allow that elevated figure to be used and disseminated for it’s obvious power on the public.

Same with ICU.

Don’t forget, the more this virus crosses through society, the more those hospitalisation, ICU and death figures will grow. Yet Covid won’t have played a primary role. NPHET and the media will still use it though.

That’s what my issue is.

Are you happy that that’s how NPHET and the media have been using the figures that way? And how it’s only recently been publicly confirmed that a broken leg with Covid is in the hospitalisation figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Yeah wear two.

I want NPHET to clearly state in their briefings and to insist the media accurately quote them in their reports when they say hospitalisations at X today but half of X are in hospital primarily for non Covid related ailments and so although the hospitalisation figure is X, we’re not that concerned.

They don’t do that. They deliberately allow that elevated figure to be used and disseminated for it’s obvious power on the public.

Same with ICU.

Don’t forget, the more this virus crosses through society, the more those hospitalisation, ICU and death figures will grow. Yet Covid won’t have played a primary role. NPHET and the media will still use it though.

That’s what my issue is.

Are you happy that that’s how NPHET and the media have been using the figures that way? And how it’s only recently been publicly confirmed that a broken leg with Covid is in the hospitalisation figures.

So what you're basically saying is that covid doesn't matter?

How do you know the condition of people entering the hospital and if they have broken legs or not? You don't.

Edit: did you watch the late late show on Friday night. Young lad with covid and ended up in ICU. He didn't have any broken bones or other condition to land him in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,368 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dionaibh wrote: »
    Thanks. Strange he doesn't know that about the larger droplets.

I thought it was worth reading because he said he had evidence. I wonder what his evidence is. Would be interesting to examine it.

Why don’t you drop him a mail and ask him what evidence he has. You can then pop a summary in the thread, cause I’m sure this evidence absolutely exists. LOL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Was that because

a) no masks
    b) the entire country was under lockdown

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,470 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Edit: did you watch the late late show on Friday night. Young lad with covid and ended up in ICU. He didn't have any broken bones or other condition to land him in hospital.

If I'm being honest and I don't mean this in a mean way.
    Regarding that young lad. I think he's meant to be the person reaching out to younger people and making them taking things seriously.
    I don't think he's catching their attention tough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Opens thread... wow... backs out very quietly. Weirdos.

Opens thread... wow... backs out very quietly. Weirdos.

You give out about personal attacks in the main covid thread and then come in here and call people weirdos. Hypocrite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You give out about personal attacks in the main covid thread and then come in here and call people weirdos. Hypocrite.

Its an observation, I didn't single anyone out in particular. Apologies if you feel it was directed to you.

Advertisement