Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

So what you're basically saying is that covid doesn't matter?

How do you know the condition of people entering the hospital and if they have broken legs or not? You don't.

Edit: did you watch the late late show on Friday night. Young lad with covid and ended up in ICU. He didn't have any broken bones or other condition to land him in hospital.

It appears pretty much everything in my post that you respond to here is actually news to you.

First off, your first sentence is assuming. And your wrong.

The second bit suggests this broken leg example was news to you last night. You didn’t see Michael McNamara TD in the oireachtas have it confirmed by NPHET that a hospitalisation figure isn’t only people admitted to hospital due to worsening Covid symptoms? Be honest.

I don’t care if someone has broken legs or not and yes, I don’t know! That’s the point! Smh. Neither do you. But you just blindly regurgitate RTÉ when they say ‘100 people in hospital’ You never questioned what that means.

Regarding Tubridy and his show. No, I didn’t. Don’t be offended but I never watch it. His success through nepotism shouldn’t be encouraged, in my opinion. I heard it was absolute sh1te. Amy selling herself, Dara not as funny as he used to be and yes, of course, the customary Covid heartbreak story.
    Again, you saying this guy didn’t have broken legs but ended up in ICU says you aren’t aware of how NPHET categorise the numbers.

To you a case is someone going around coughing and spluttering, all feverish.

A hospitalisation is someone who was a case but has worsened.

An ICU patient is a hospitalisation that worsened.

A death is someone who if they just didn’t get Covid a few weeks ago, would still be alive.

You haven’t a clue how you’re being manipulated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Struggling to see the point you're trying to make 3xh, or the the connection to wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Graham wrote: »
    Struggling to see the point you're trying to make 3xh, or the the connection to wearing masks.

I guess its that wearing a mask leads to breaking a leg which gives you covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Graham wrote: »

You’ve only ever struggled to see my points, Graham!

I’ll await the poster to give her view seeing as I was responding to her posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any opinions on these? I can only wear the disposable surgical masks so was thinking of these as a reusable alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

As useful as a chocolate teapot, should be and are about to be banned I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I've been wearing visors only for the past two months after finding it quite difficult to breathe using the cloth masks if wearing them for long periods. I think they are a lot more hygienic and comfortable for the wearer and unless you have a particularly large head I fail to see a protection problem for either the user or those around them. I think Alan Kelly is creating a bit of a side show which is a bit pointless, lets face it numbers have increased since people started wearing masks en mass. If needs be I will wear the light weight disposable masks to stay within the rules they seem to be about to change yet again. I would probably go through 4-8 in an average day so it will be quite expensive and wasteful and also damaging to the environment. Ah well, AK 47 rides again.

My issue with a mask is I think it protects you from infecting others which is great but a mask does not shield you from contracting the virus from someone that chooses not to wear a mask

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I've been wearing visors only for the past two months after finding it quite difficult to breathe using the cloth masks if wearing them for long periods. I think they are a lot more hygienic and comfortable for the wearer and unless you have a particularly large head I fail to see a protection problem for either the user or those around them. I think Alan Kelly is creating a bit of a side show which is a bit pointless, lets face it numbers have increased since people started wearing masks en mass. If needs be I will wear the light weight disposable masks to stay within the rules they seem to be about to change yet again. I would probably go through 4-8 in an average day so it will be quite expensive and wasteful and also damaging to the environment. Ah well, AK 47 rides again.

They don't provide you or others near you with any meaningful protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Pkiernan wrote: »
    They don't provide you or others near you with any meaningful protection.

Prove that please or at lease provide evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    As useful as a chocolate teapot, should be and are about to be banned I believe.
    They can't be banned, they can only be advised against.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The reason you think they are more hygienic is the exact reason they don't work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Gael23 wrote: »
    My issue with a mask is I think it protects you from infecting others which is great but a mask does not shield you from contracting the virus from someone that chooses not to wear a mask

But might lower the initial dose of virus you get. Seems to play the part how sick you can be. Shields are no where near protection wise as masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I think of where i am going to use like into a cafe for grub social distance involved or i could use a reusable cloth mask or if very busy packed full face respirator if needed.

Talking to a customer with visor on and social distance should be ok,close contact no.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    As are all masks without people following the other more effective measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

They're only of use if someone spits or coughs in your face. They don't filter any air going in or out.

I have been wearing a mask thinking I am protecting myself but it appears I am mistaken, it’s protecting others.

Am I wrong here?

Prove that please or at lease provide evidence.

A small amount if common sense is all that's needed to comprehend how they are ineffective.

Please explain how you think a piece of plastic 1 inch from your mouth with 3 of its 4 sides completely open can provide protection?

Their only benefit was as a feel good piece for the media when it showed school kids 3D printing them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brainwashed much.....

is_that_so wrote: »
    As are all masks without people following the other more effective measures.

I’ve no doubt masks are effective with string uptake but that’s not happening.
    I’m looking for something that protects me and ensures I don’t infect my family and from what I’m reading from wearing a mask I’m not doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

I have been wearing a mask thinking I am protecting myself but it appears I am mistaken, it’s protecting others.

Am I wrong here?

Yeah pretty much.

Masks are a placebo effect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm sure they provide a level of protection but while it's more than sfa it's less than sufficient.

Personally I have a visor and I wear while walking on a street or other reasonably open area. I used to wear a mask full time when outside the house but suffered from dry skin so I'm limiting the mask wearing to when I'm indoors or in an enclosed area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Face visor may work in that it stops someone from spitting (we spit when we talk) in your face. But it doesn't stop the airborne nature of this virus.

As for the comment of cases going up with mask wearing. We need people to actually wear face masks in the first place. As in no visor, wear them properly (not under the nose or resting on the chin), have them in every workplace.

I’m looking for something that protects me and ensures I don’t infect my family and from what I’m reading from wearing a mask I’m not doing that
    Following the other guidance, minimising social contacts and crowds in indoor locations is the way to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Wear a kn95 for more protection. A visor isn't going to give you more protection.

Yeah pretty much.

So if I wear a mask and someone coughs in my face not wearing a mask am I protected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yeah pretty much.

Sure they are, any links for that placebo effect, or you just talking out of your a*se

Advertisement