Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,344 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

3xh wrote: »
    I don’t think we’ll see April’s death figures again.
    I’ve researched the hospital/ICU/Death figures from the peak. Based on the age profile of those deaths, there were clearly people dying within care homes. They weren’t even moved to hospitals to die. Whether that’s because of DNR requests by the individuals, no one here knows.

I think you are focusing too much on the death figures.
    Plus even within that I think it was something like 60% were related to care homes. So that still leaves hundreds that were not.

In the US, 40% of covid related deaths were under 75.

And you also need to look at the ICU profile, the people who pulled through because the ICU capacity was there to treat them... as I mentioned earlier in the thread, 30% of ICU admissions were 55-64.
    90% of ICU admissions were aged under 75.

The threat of this virus to overwhlem our capacity to treat such cases is still there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Seanergy wrote: »
    It will be November before the new legislation for reasonable no mask fines are up and running. Should have happened in MAY before country entered phase 1 of exit from lockdown 1.

Every person fined whould be given a 10 pack of disposable masks to help them on their road to recovery.

Absolute joke this country has turned into.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Opens thread... wow... backs out very quietly. Weirdos.

threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It will be November before the new legislation for reasonable no mask fines are up and running. Should have happened in MAY before country entered phase 1 of exit from lockdown 1.

Every person fined whould be given a 10 pack of disposable masks to help them on their road to recovery.

I dont know where you guys live but since masks were mandated I would think compliance is easily 99% plus in my town. I know some people love threatening other people with fines but at least where I live its not going to make one bit of a difference. Because there is virtually no one to be fined.

Which leads me to a question. If masks are so great at curbing the spread and with the compliance we have, how come the virus continuous to spread the way it does? I thought the lesson from those asian countries who have a 'mask culture' and who dealt with the virus so well was that all we gotta do is wear a mask and all is going to be honky dory?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

I rarely see people without masks inside shops but when I do (perhaps one or two every big shop) it doesn't bother me one bit. Who knows what their stories are or what they're basing their decisions on but that's their business. I'd be more concerned about the people clamoring for fines and increased police powers to be honest.

Most people are wearing masks in shops and that's enough. Only tyrants and fascists require 100% compliance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I dont know where you guys live but since masks were mandated I would think compliance is easily 99% plus in my town. I know some people love threatening other people with fines but at least where I live its not going to make one bit of a difference. Because there is virtually no one to be fined.

Which leads me to a question. If masks are so great at curbing the spread and with the compliance we have, how come the virus continuous to spread the way it does? I thought the lesson from those asian countries who have a 'mask culture' and who dealt with the virus so well was that all we gotta do is wear a mask and all is going to be honky dory?

This is what I had today

- stood behind someone in a queue who took of their mask to sneeze
    - went into another shop, security at the door with the face mask under the nose. In the same shop, two customers walking around with their nose exposed
    - had to go into another shop and same thing again, two more customers with their nose exposed

People aren't wearing masks properly and you're wondering how masks work?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Which leads me to a question. If masks are so great at curbing the spread and with the compliance we have, how come the virus continuous to spread the way it does?

In more than half the cases; "close contact with a known confirmed case" in another 22% community transmission.

tjdaly wrote: »
    Only tyrants and fascists require 100% compliance.

and people that understand the meaning of aerosol and exponential.

This is what I had today

- stood behind someone in a queue who took of their mask to sneeze
    - went into another shop, security at the door with the face mask under the nose. In the same shop, two customers walking around with their nose exposed
    - had to go into another shop and same thing again, two more customers with their nose exposed

People aren't wearing masks properly and you're wondering how masks work?

But AWTF. Remember that was the explanation we were given back then why masks are no good. Because you cant trust the population to use them correctly.

Why are you now surprised to see it in action?

But AWTF. Remember that was the explanation we were given back then why masks are no good. Because you cant trust the population to use them correctly.

I'm not one bit surprised to see it in action. I see it every single day. But what's the answer? No masks and let people infect more people and getting worse infections or improper use (like touching the face mask) but containing their germs?

As for under the nose wearers, they should be fcuked out of it, pretending to do something but not doing it properly.

I've said it from the beginning, we need a proper education campaign on masks and we got very little.

• Advertisement

Not sure what point you're trying to make there CF.

Masks shouldn't be used because some people don't wear them correctly, or enforcement should be stronger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Which leads me to a question. If masks are so great at curbing the spread and with the compliance we have, how come the virus continuous to spread the way it does?

You state your town hit 99% compliance since masks were mandated, when was that exactly? so many fake mandatory messages came out of GOV and public transport bodies I get confused. It certainly wasn't May when we began exiting lockdown. How you answer this helps me answer your Question.

tjdaly wrote: »
    I rarely see people without masks inside shops but when I do (perhaps one or two every big shop) it doesn't bother me one bit. Who knows what their stories are or what they're basing their decisions on but that's their business. I'd be more concerned about the people clamoring for fines and increased police powers to be honest.

Most people are wearing masks in shops and that's enough. Only tyrants and fascists require 100% compliance.

So the virus can only be spread in shops now can it?

Majority of people are not clamoring for fines and increased police powers, your just sensationalising, people are clamouring for non covid-19 compliant behaviour to be erradicated so that we can have some sembelance of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Dionaibh

• Registered Users Posts: 29,344 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dionaibh wrote: »

I think Johns problems run deep.
    That is not a healthy man in that video mentally or physically.
    It is tough to see. Some of his writing from back in the day was so perceptive.

Sorry John I think you have gone off the reservation there. No, masks are not a sinister foreign conspiracy to depersonalise us and create a constant terror.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Masks in a shop today, for sale. There were c.400 of them. All, "Made in China".

So much for the war between the dollar and the yen.

Exactly which side Are the Irish on?

You state your town hit 99% compliance since masks were mandated, when was that exactly? so many fake mandatory messages came out of GOV and public transport bodies I get confused. It certainly wasn't May when we began exiting lockdown. How you answer this helps me answer your Question.

August 10. Really started mid July but only from August the 10th it had legal backing. From August the 10th I saw virtually 100% compliance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Masks in a shop today, for sale. There were c.400 of them. All, "Made in China".

So much for the war between the dollar and the yen.

Exactly which side Are the Irish on?

Yep. And so many of us Irish here who fully embrace the mask philosophy would’ve been die hard environmentalists up to now.

All that extra plastic crap being introduced to Ireland, alone. Never mind all the other countries. Ending up discarded on streets, parks, drains. All the energy use needed to make and transport these continuous shipments of mask supplies.

Plus all the plastic bottles of steri-gels, face shields, plastic screens around every shop till.

August 10. Really started mid July but only from August the 10th it had legal backing. From August the 10th I saw virtually 100% compliance here.

I must reccommend your town for the National COVID-19 Compliance Towns award for August, September, November and October so.

3xh wrote: »
    Yep. And so many of us Irish here who fully embrace the mask philosophy would’ve been die hard environmentalists up to now.

All that extra plastic crap being introduced to Ireland, alone. Never mind all the other countries. Ending up discarded on streets, parks, drains. All the energy use needed to make and transport these continuous shipments of mask supplies.

Plus all the plastic bottles of steri-gels, face shields, plastic screens around every shop till.

Doing your assuming thing again and then heading off on one!

Don't forget gloves.

I must reccommend your town for the National COVID-19 Compliance Towns award for August, September, November and October so.

Thanks, we're a tidy little town.

So back to the original question. How come numbers started going up and up and up the moment we introduced masks? Not saying they're causing it, maybe they are, but how come they dont stop it if they're such an excellent tool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Doing your assuming thing again and then heading off on one!

Don't forget gloves.

I didn’t say you were a previous die hard environmentalist that now fully embraces the destructive waste of plastic gel bottles, masks, etc. And gloves!

But many many people would fit that description. If we’re being honest with ourselves and not ‘calling for links’ to prove it.

The pathetic thing about it is so many of those former fair weather environmentalists now embracing all this new plastic don’t even realise their hypocrisy.

How come numbers started going up and up and up the moment we introduced masks?

Lockdown ended.

I'm sure you knew that, it's been pointed out to you before.

So back to the original question. How come numbers started going up and up and up the moment we introduced masks? Not saying they're causing it, maybe they are, but how come they dont stop it if they're such an excellent tool?

You keep asking the same question and many people answered your question. What exactly do you want to hear? Do you want somebody to say that EVERYONE that wears a mask are complete idiots and therefore they are useless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

Graham wrote: »
    Lockdown ended.

I'm sure you knew that, it's been pointed out to you before.

They love conflating the mask rules with the numbers going up, don't they? Perhaps they're not able to remember what it was like during the lockdown? Y'know, only one person per household in shops, nobody in town apart from people taking walks, the streets silent because people weren't gathering in groups...

Sigh, yet again. Masks are just one tool in the fight against Covid 19. They're not going to stop people going to each others houses or gathering together in groups or all the other ways the virus can be spread. They're just a way to stop them, and other asymptomatic people from spreading the virus elsewhere.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm sure we've been over this several times before in this thread and shown that it is entirely due to the lack of pirates:

https://dzone.com/articles/global-warming-caused-by-pirates-and-other-bad-gra#:~:text=The%20cause%20of%20global%20warming%20is%20the%20crisis%20of%20declining%20pirate%20numbers.&text=The%20stats%20are%20in%2C%20the,crisis%20in%20declining%20pirate%20numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Masks aren't making one iowta of a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

bush wrote: »

Contact the government/HSE, you have a duty of care to let them know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Today I've seen the WHO boss Mr Adhanom in a mask at the PR, probably the first time. They ultimately got into the line.

It's incredible it took them 6 months, 40M+ cases and millions of deaths before they recognised the important of masks and PR around it. Doesn't inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

bush wrote: »

I think you'll find it's the lack of masks that aren't making an iota of a difference.

Let me give an example, when anyone, relations etc., visit my gaff, we all wear face coverings in addition to 2 metres distancing(in as far as possible).

How many households wear masks when the relatives or neighbours call in do you think ?

Not that they're mandated to, but everyone should be aware of aerosol transmission in indoor environments at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭moonage

What, if any, is the main difference between how influenza and sars-cov-2 are spread?

Advertisement