Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

railer201 wrote: »
    I think you'll find it's the lack of masks that aren't making an iota of a difference.

Let me give an example, when anyone, relations etc., visit my gaff, we all wear face coverings in addition to 2 metres distancing(in as far as possible).

How many households wear masks when the relatives or neighbours call in do you think ?

Not that they're mandated to, but everyone should be aware of aerosol transmission in indoor environments at this stage.
    Very few I hope. That is not living by any measure but whatever. I find the not coming around the gaff to be a whole lot more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Mask compliance is well over 95% at this stage.

Why is this even an issue any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

robinph wrote: »

We have been over this, agreed. But what we've been over was why we're wearing them now in places that had no evident problem during lockdown. And the answer was 'we're out of lockdown now'.

That didn't really put that question to bed at all, but let assume for one moment it did.

Isn't it perfectly legitimate to ask now - as a fellow up question - why we see cases rising like they do if masks are that good at curbing the spread?

Would the answer then be because we're not wearing them all the time - like outdoors, at home - and we should?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mask compliance is well over 95% at this stage.

Why is this even an issue any more?

One of the more 'sophisticated' of earlier anti-mask arguments was "The controversy around masks is a major distraction from more effective anti-covid strategies." And the obvious riposte was "The easiest way to defuse this 'controversy' is for everybody to start wearing masks, even if you personally don't believe they're hugely effective. Then the 'issue' is no longer a distraction." And this seems to have largely been achieved...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Isn't it perfectly legitimate to ask now - as a fellow up question - why we see cases rising like they do if masks are that good at curbing the spread?

Given that more than 50% of cases are close contact with a known confirmed case, I'd assume environments where masks are not mandatory. E.g. private homes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

One of the more 'sophisticated' of earlier anti-mask arguments was "The controversy around masks is a major distraction from more effective anti-covid strategies." And the obvious riposte was "The easiest way to defuse this 'controversy' is for everybody to start wearing masks, even if you personally don't believe they're hugely effective. Then the 'issue' is no longer a distraction." And this seems to have largely been achieved...

Nope. You're just making it a cultural war type American thing. Most people wearing the masks.

The odd 1 or 2 % not wearing them are not worth the bother.

Graham wrote: »
    Given that more than 50% of cases are close contact with a known confirmed case, I'd assume environments where masks are not mandatory. E.g. private homes etc.

But covid doesn't just transporter beam into the home. At least one person in the home has to bring it in. Where are they bringing it in from if all the places they can meet someone else are masked up?

Edit: What would be interesting to see is if we had a disproportionate amount of home infections where school children are in the house. Especially primary school and younger since they seem to be the only ones not masked up?

I'm genuinely baffled. I'm not just anti-mask - I am - but where the hell are people getting it from? Or is it because 800 a day in a population of 5m is really quite a small number?

But covid doesn't just transporter beam into the home. At least one person in the home has to bring it in. Where are they bringing it in from if all the places they can meet someone else are masked up?

Go into the home of an asymptomatic carrier, remove mask.

Rinse & repeat.

You think there's a good chance that's why mixing households is being restricted?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

5 folks in my area got it. The rest in cavan. Wearing a mask to me if you are around vulnerable folks sounds reasonable. But if it continues that the median age is 30 in the country... I dont think that everyone in the country at this age is like what I'm about to say. But where I am, cocaine and passing a joint etc seems normal. I like a beer myself but if you think of how many hands that white bag has been in... you may aswell be snorting c19

WISE UP FOLKS.

Thats a little bizarre but sure every little helps. :pac:

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    Go into the home of an asymptomatic carrier, remove mask.

Rinse & repeat.

You think there's a good chance that's why mixing households is being restricted?

So whats the answer then? Wear a mask every time we see someone outside our household? Masks 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

5 folks in my area got it. The rest in cavan. Wearing a mask to me if you are around vulnerable folks sounds reasonable. But if it continues that the median age is 30 in the country... I dont think that everyone in the country at this age is like what I'm about to say. But where I am, cocaine and passing a joint etc seems normal. I like a beer myself but if you think of how many hands that white bag has been in... you may aswell be snorting c19

WISE UP FOLKS.

I like a beer myself but..... Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kasey_Don wrote: »
    The whole mask wearing thing is one big massive virtue signalling thing.

Have a look on twitter and you'll see people with usernames with "wear a mask!" in it.

Yet masks are only one tiny prevention measure in cases where you can't social distance. In shops, etc people should be social distancing yet you never see anyone include "social distance 2m!" on twitter or anything.
    It's always "wear a damn mask!". Masks don't stop anyone from getting it. They don't stop you touching surfaces with covid. They don't stop you gettng it standing new people.
    We all went into shops during the last 6 months before masks were introduced. We social distanced. The cases went down. No shop workers got Covid. It worked perfectly.

Transport capacity was increased to 50 percent when masks came in with 1m distancing. It was 25 percent with 2m before that.

It is not always possible to distance 2m in shops or transport.
    Many shops were closed at the height of lockdown... inc many of the non food type shops of lower ventilation standards, and in which people spend more time browsing.

So no... the whole mask wearing thing isnt virtue signalling. People can virtue signal anything inc rebel signal by not wearing masks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Get a mask implanted on your face

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Edit: What would be interesting to see is if we had a disproportionate amount of home infections where school children are in the house. Especially primary school and younger since they seem to be the only ones not masked up?
    I'm genuinely baffled. I'm not just anti-mask - I am - but where the hell are people getting it from? Or is it because 800 a day in a population of 5m is really quite a small number?

Infections were seeded into houses by travel then pubs and parties. They will flow through schools. They can kick off clusters in schools, nursing homes, hospitals.
    A breach in the dam.

It takes several weeks for chains of infections setup by such events to run their course.

Masks reduce the transmission risk esp in circumstances like transport and shops where you have random strangers and no real contact tracing. ie protect yourself from spray from the breach if you are not in its direct flow

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So whats the answer then? Wear a mask every time we see someone outside our household? Masks 24/7?

Well the current answer appears to be restricting the number of household that can mix and wearing masks when out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

WISE UP FOLKS.

#UseYourOwnNote/Straw

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Because of the growing acceptance of aerosol transmission, in addition to droplet transmission, then indoors mixing with other people - YES. Outdoors is different especially where 2 metres social distancing is easily maintained.

Apart from the advice by the HSE and others physically blocking the virus from either being expelled or received is just plain common sense, in the absence of a vaccine.

Why take the risk just for the sake of wearing a mask /face covering ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

Yes. That's what many countries did - Czechia, Spain, Greece, Slovakia, Austria in the first wave which tremendously helped and they are coming back to it etc.

Else house arrest and strict social distancing - how much of the population can follow that in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Transport capacity was increased to 50 percent when masks came in with 1m distancing. It was 25 percent with 2m before that.

It is not always possible to distance 2m in shops or transport.
    Many shops were closed at the height of lockdown... inc many of the non food type shops of lower ventilation standards, and in which people spend more time browsing.

So no... the whole mask wearing thing isnt virtue signalling. People can virtue signal anything inc rebel signal by not wearing masks.

As someone who uses 4 buses a day, the bolded part is incorrect.

At 25% with no masks we were about 1m apart. For 2 weeks with no masks we were less than half a metre apart as we are now with masks. I'd say currently if a bus if full you are about a foot and a half from the person in front and behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

McGiver wrote: »
    Yes. That's what many countries did - Czechia, Spain, Greece, Slovakia, Austria in the first wave which tremendously helped and they are coming back to it etc.

Else house arrest and strict social distancing - how much of the population can follow that in Ireland?

Most of those countries locked down their borders and they did fully lockdown internally. The reference to Spain as a good example here is absolutely baffling - they had a very hard lockdown for the best part of 2 months. Let's not forget too how Austria exported the virus all over Europe through its ski resorts! The Czechs opened up too fast and now like the rest have a massive surge on their hands. What does work is test, isolate, and contact trace effectively. Masks are just a way to keep a lot of people out and about without shuttering large parts of an economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

#UseYourOwnNote/Straw

Haha. Got a laugh from that one. Even before the pandemic it was like every bar that's reasonably popular has some lad in it that hasnt blinked in days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I remember much better times in this thread when it was a must check to see where you could get the best masks. It's all gone a bit mental now

Anyhoo, I'll give this a go:

What masks are people wearing these days that give them the best balance between protection and breath-ability?

Some of them are very stifling when the temperature rises even a little bit too much

Would love your thoughts and any URL links etc

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I remember much better times in this thread when it was a must check to see where you could get the best masks. It's all gone a bit mental now

Anyhoo, I'll give this a go:

What masks are people wearing these days that give them the best balance between protection and breath-ability?

Some of them are very stifling when the temperature rises even a little bit too much

Would love your thoughts and any URL links etc

Im sure a Darth Vader or SCREAM mask might be appropriate this time of year, Vader mask would be great if they worked as good as in the movies. In all seriousness, I think masks are just visors and help but dont really convince me that im protected from catching the Void. Possibly a placebo but at least its some protection.

Its not really an airborne virus as far as we know so masks seem a bit at odds with how one can catch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,585 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

larva wrote: »
    Its not really an airborne virus as far as we know so masks seem a bit at odds with how one can catch it?
    It is an airbourne virus.
    Plenty of evidence

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1162614/
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/scientific-brief-sars-cov-2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

larva wrote: »
    Im sure a Darth Vader or SCREAM mask might be appropriate this time of year, Vader mask would be great if they worked as good as in the movies. In all seriousness, I think masks are just visors and help but dont really convince me that im protected from catching the Void. Possibly a placebo but at least its some protection.

An utterly useless reply

Thanks

gmisk wrote: »

I suppose in such conditions thats true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lowtechguy

As the title says, while I have seen responsible store management in the area and city as a whole challenge and refuse entry to those not doing their duty to society in these trying times, several times I have seen groups of idiots in Dunnes Stores Citywest unmasked and unchallenged (other than their obvious cognitive challenges).

I raised this with staff on duty at the store and was told 'we can't refuse to serve them!'. Yet I have seen staff in other shops refuse entry and service to those that refuse to do their part, it leads me to the conclusion that Dunnes Stores are perfectly happy to put the health and lives of their customers in danger!

Is it just the management of Citywest who are so nonchalant about the safety of their clients, or is it the same across the whole of the Dunnes group? I would love to know if it's group policy, if it is people should consider spending their money with companies who at the very least value their safety!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Some companies don’t care about their customers or more importantly their staff who are in far greater danger . Anything to make a few extra quid .

Advertisement