Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭con747

They can refuse entry to anyone if they want. It should not be tolerated.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Big companies are worried about defamation, we aren't allowed question people in our shop either, pain in the backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

larva wrote: »
    Its not really an airborne virus as far as we know so masks seem a bit at odds with how one can catch it?

Not sure what you mean. Masks are directly relevant to interrupting its principal modes of transmission.

The principal mode by which people are infected with SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is through exposure to respiratory droplets carrying infectious virus.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/scientific-brief-sars-cov-2.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭con747

This article explains it to some extent https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/shop-owners-urged-not-to-confront-customers-who-are-not-wearing-face-coverings-1.4334258 If your exempt from wearing a mask then get a letter stating so. My OH needs a letter to cross county borders due to her being an essential worker so why can't they get one. There are to many anti maskers just taking the piss.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Not the job of retail staff to enforce mask wearing. I'm not putting myself at risk by confronting over someone not wearing mask. If you want to confront people for not wearing a mask be my guest but don't expect staff to put themselves in the firing line for verbal and physical abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

But they weren't risking lives until August :confused:

Big companies are worried about defamation, we aren't allowed question people in our shop either, pain in the backside.

I take you are a shop worker. That decision is above your pay grade focus on stacking shelves and/or manning tills let your employer worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

A relation owns a retail premises in Dublin city centre. He has a sign displayed on the front door, "No mask, no entry." Simple.

Dunnes Stores obviously couldn't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

bocaman wrote: »
    A relation owns a retail premises in Dublin city centre. He has a sign displayed on the front door, "No mask, no entry." Simple.

Dunnes Stores obviously couldn't be bothered.

The difference there is Your relation cares about his staff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My brother is a manager in tesco. He told me nobody bothers to tell people to put a mask on as they legally cant do it and people just go mental and cause a scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

larva wrote: »
    I suppose in such conditions thats true.

situations that involve air?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Lowtechguy wrote: »
    As the title says, while I have seen responsible store management in the area and city as a whole challenge and refuse entry to those not doing their duty to society in these trying times, several times I have seen groups of idiots in Dunnes Stores Citywest unmasked and unchallenged (other than their obvious cognitive challenges).

I raised this with staff on duty at the store and was told 'we can't refuse to serve them!'. Yet I have seen staff in other shops refuse entry and service to those that refuse to do their part, it leads me to the conclusion that Dunnes Stores are perfectly happy to put the health and lives of their customers in danger!

Is it just the management of Citywest who are so nonchalant about the safety of their clients, or is it the same across the whole of the Dunnes group? I would love to know if it's group policy, if it is people should consider spending their money with companies who at the very least value their safety!

Why don’t you ask Dunnes stores corporate rather than random strangers. Sure how would anyone here answer that question?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

con747 wrote: »
    They can refuse entry to anyone if they want. It should not be tolerated.

No they can’t. That’s clearly false.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Feets

To further annoy the poster, here is one for you. Maynooth Dunnes have those plastic screens at the counter and the staffs therefore don't wear masks....so they can hardly ask people to wear masks...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My brother is a manager in tesco. He told me nobody bothers to tell people to put a mask on as they legally cant do it and people just go mental and cause a scene.

I've heard this so many times but never seen anyone back it up. Surely if you can refuse entry/service to someone not wearing shoes or a top you can refuse the same to someone not wearing a mask.

Feets wrote: »
    To further annoy the poster, here is one for you. Maynooth Dunnes have those plastic screens at the counter and the staffs therefore don't wear masks....so they can hardly ask people to wear masks...

Idiotic, they have to scan the products a screen between you and the casheer won't stop the casheer breathing on the products.

MarkY91 wrote: »

Your brother needs more Covid training. Not only has he the right, its a responsibility in order to remain open
    GT89 wrote: »
    Not the job of retail staff to enforce mask wearing. I'm not putting myself at risk by confronting over someone not wearing mask. If you want to confront people for not wearing a mask be my guest but don't expect staff to put themselves in the firing line for verbal and physical abuse.

The legislation is pretty clear. Staff must request people wear masks and if they refuse, Gardai can be called. You dont need any legal p[ower to ask someone to put a mask on but in this case, shops have been given that legal power. Each premises has an obligation to enforce the regulations. Enforce them or close, thats the law.

And be sure to be absolutely OK with the person arguing with you and shoving a camera in your face while you oppress them.

GarIT wrote: »
    Idiotic, they have to scan the products a screen between you and the casheer won't stop the casheer breathing on the products.

Touch is the largest transmitter. The screen does work and is enough for the regulations

GarIT wrote: »

What if the truck driver acidentally breathed on your box of corn flakes when unloading his/her truck?

What if the truck driver acidentally breathed on your box of corn flakes when unloading his/her truck?

You can stop everything but ideally you want to minimise it. You seem to have a very nasty attitude towards other people. Calm down a bit and enjoy your evening.

• Advertisement

The legislation is pretty clear. Staff must request people wear masks and if they refuse, Gardai can be called. You dont need any legal p[ower to ask someone to put a mask on but in this case, shops have been given that legal power. Each premises has an obligation to enforce the regulations. Enforce them or close, thats the law.

And be sure to be absolutely OK with the person arguing with you and shoving a camera in your face while you oppress them.

Complete nonsense I work in a shop and have not been told to enforce any mask wearing requirement

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The difference there is Your relation cares about his staff

Cares about his staff by putting them at risk of being verbally absued or assaulted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

All major stores here... NO MASK.... NO SERVICE

People abide by it.

I know they think Americans are nuts (and some absolutely are) but you cannot get into Walmart/Target/Lowes/or any store) without a mask.

There is no reason why Dunnes or Tesco or any other store simply cannot say.. sorry... No Mask you do not get in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Complete nonsense I work in a shop and have not been told to enforce any mask wearing requirement
    Ignorance of the law is not an excuse!
    Ask your employer why they are not doing enough to protect their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

NSAman wrote: »
    All major stores here... NO MASK.... NO SERVICE

People abide by it.

I know they think Americans are nuts (and some absolutely are) but you cannot get into Walmart/Target/Lowes/or any store) without a mask.

There is no reason why Dunnes or Tesco or any other store simply cannot say.. sorry... No Mask you do not get in.
    It's not their job to enforce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse!
    Ask your employer why they are not doing enough to protect their staff.
    Employees are behind screens and visors and masks. The numbers of cases from retail are tiny anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

is_that_so wrote: »

It is in the interest of their staff and customers.

It may not be their job, it is all for the common good.

Works great here. Odd dickhead who gives out, but unless they wear a mask ... no entry... simples.

The vast majority of people will assist the people saying you have to wear a mask..have seen it myseld and aided them myself.

There is always one asshole

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are behind screens and visors and masks.
    How do you know what measures have been put in place in GT89's place of employment (as I was responding to a statement they made)?
    Assuming that you're referring to Dunnes, then are you sure that all staff have big screens? I'm fairly sure that some are out on the floor stacking shelves, etc.
    Those with masks, should they be expected to interact wiyth muppets who refuse to wear a mask (and are therefore more likely to be exposed to the virus)?

NSAman wrote: »
    It is in the interest of their staff and customers.

It may not be their job, it is all for the common good.

Works great here. Odd dickhead who gives out, but unless they wear a mask ... no entry... simples.

The vast majority of people will assist the people saying you have to wear a mask..have seen it myseld and aided them myself.

There is always one asshole

Are there not medical exemptions in the US? It's a different country with a different legal system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It is mandatory to wear a mask in a shop and the shop is obligated to ensure they are compliant.

Advertisement