Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If you are at risk of moderate or severe illness from covid-19, then YOU need to take whatever precautions YOU need to take to not contract the virus. It’s like complaining about dog s!!t on the footpaths, watch where your walking and it won’t affect you. If you’re so worried about contracting Covid-19, wear a hazmat suit.

It is not and should never be the responsibility of staff to enforce the wearing of masks.

Before I get called a anti-masker, i most certainly do wear a mask, not out of fear of contracting Covid-19, but as a courtesy to other shoppers, workers etc. It’s just a piece of cloth over your face.

Anti-maskers who bang on about bacteria, oxygen levels etc etc are a bunch of clowns. So are people who bang on about people not wearing masks. It’s none of your business and if you believe this person is going to give you covid-19 then you should probably just leave the store and shop online. Turning into a witch-hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How do you know what measures have been put in place in GT89's place of employment (as I was responding to a statement they made)?
    Assuming that you're referring to Dunnes, then are you sure that all staff have big screens? I'm fairly sure that some are out on the floor stacking shelves, etc.
    Those with masks, should they be expected to interact wiyth muppets who refuse to wear a mask (and are therefore more likely to be exposed to the virus)?
    Any shop I've been in and I've been in quite a few geographically is set up like that. I don't hold with the rampant leaping virus theory at all, especially as there are such very brief interactions in shops. I don't think about the mask thing at all and worry about myself observing all the usual guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I know two people that worked for Dunnes in fairly senior positions and both summarized it roughly as "a bunch of complete cúnts to work for"

Many companies stink from the head down and it doesn't surprise me that Dunnes are this useless with safety after the stories I've heard

Give other supermarkets your money and boycott them. Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭NSAman

GT89 wrote: »
    Are there not medical exemptions in the US? It's a different country with a different legal system.

You need a letter, same as Ireland... No Mask No Service.

Not difficult to do.

Much more litigious here but people abide by the rules for the most part.

Common Good is always better than Individual idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

GarIT wrote: »
    I've heard this so many times but never seen anyone back it up. Surely if you can refuse entry/service to someone not wearing shoes or a top you can refuse the same to someone not wearing a mask.

I haven't seen it myself neither. Sure I see staff everyday not wearing masks or not covering their nose. If the staff don't do it then why would the local anti mask idiots?

• Advertisement

It is mandatory to wear a mask in a shop and the shop is obligated to ensure they are compliant.
    I haven't seen any must wear masks signs but plenty of please wear face coverings, that's their obligation done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it myself neither. Sure I see staff everyday not wearing masks or not covering their nose. If the staff don't do it then why would the local anti mask idiots?

And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:
    And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

The mask of the beast, means you'll not drink or feast....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The relaxed attitude on masks started back in March with the government.

Most people wearing them to shops because they have to, rather than out of any desire to wear them.

Has anyone caught the virus from a supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭HBC08

bocaman wrote: »
    A relation owns a retail premises in Dublin city centre. He has a sign displayed on the front door, "No mask, no entry." Simple.

Dunnes Stores obviously couldn't be bothered.

I guarentee you theres a similar sign in Dunnes,Tesco and everywhere else.
    It's not up to shop staff to challenge people,it's not their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,585 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

karlitob wrote: »
    Why don’t you ask Dunnes stores corporate rather than random strangers. Sure how would anyone here answer that question?
    They will do nothing, I have sent emails to Aldi and lidl and got stock reply ...we are encouraging all customers to wear masks bla bla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

is_that_so wrote: »
    I haven't seen any must wear masks signs but plenty of please wear face coverings, that's their obligation done.

It's not, they are facilitating law breaking otherwise and are liable. Mandatory mask wearing in retail was legislated for, it is not a guideline. And that's aside from it being just a crap thing to do to staff and other customer.

NSAman wrote: »
    It is in the interest of their staff and customers.

It may not be their job, it is all for the common good.

Works great here. Odd dickhead who gives out, but unless they wear a mask ... no entry... simples.

The vast majority of people will assist the people saying you have to wear a mask..have seen it myseld and aided them myself.

There is always one asshole
    Well it's not what they do and it's really a very low risk location.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought masks face coverings shields visors etc., were mandatory

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I know two people that worked for Dunnes in fairly senior positions and both summarized it roughly as "a bunch of complete cúnts to work for"

Many companies stink from the head down and it doesn't surprise me that Dunnes are this useless with safety after the stories I've heard

Give other supermarkets your money and boycott them. Simple

It's the same in Tesco, Lidl and Aldi

It's not, they are facilitating law breaking otherwise and are liable. Mandatory mask wearing in retail was legislated for, it is not a guideline. And that's aside from it being just a crap thing to do to staff and other customer.
    They are not obliged to police the regulations. The fine is for the person not wearing the mask and staff are well protected.

Take your business elsewhere.

You can't argue with stupid.

Yes, but it was not legislated that shop staff have the responsibility to enforce nor that they are liable (what you think for is unclear). I would not be asking my untrained staff to get into a squabble with a belligerent customer if I were a store manager. That is absolutely not their job. That’s the job of AGS

They are liable?
    If shop staff dont challenge anybody not wearing a mask they are liable for what?

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are not obliged to police the regulations. The fine is for the person not wearing the mask and staff are well protected.

Sorry, this is incorrect. The minister for justice confirmed the onus is on the shop.

Yes, but it was not legislated that shop staff have the responsibility to enforce nor that they are liable (what you think for is unclear). I would not be asking my untrained staff to get into a squabble with a belligerent customer if I were a store manager. That is absolutely not their job. That’s the job of AGS

As a store manager, why have you not provided training for your staff? The job of AGS is to remove people from the shop who have not complied.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    They are liable?
    If shop staff dont challenge anybody not wearing a mask they are liable for what?

They have liability for any issues arising from allowing the law to be ignored.

They have liability for any issues arising from allowing the law to be ignored.

Can you give an example of a situation where you think the shop would be liable as you say? again liable for what? what penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Run a retail shop, I've specifically instructed the staff not to challenge a customer if they don't wear a mask. Not up to us to police it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Have seen a few employees in my local Tescos wearing a mask but not covering their nose.

Strange that they re not being told to cop on by management/colleagues.

HBC08 wrote: »
    Can you give an example of a situation where you think the shop would be liable as you say? again liable for what? what penalties?

Any liabilities that arise due to facilitating the violation of the legislation. I am not here to imagine scenarios, it is a fact that mask wearing is legislated for and the shop does not have a credible defense if they did not take reasonable steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If you are at risk of moderate or severe illness from covid-19, then YOU need to take whatever precautions YOU need to take to not contract the virus. It’s like complaining about dog s!!t on the footpaths, watch where your walking and it won’t affect you. If you’re so worried about contracting Covid-19, wear a hazmat suit.

It is not and should never be the responsibility of staff to enforce the wearing of masks.

Before I get called a anti-masker, i most certainly do wear a mask, not out of fear of contracting Covid-19, but as a courtesy to other shoppers, workers etc. It’s just a piece of cloth over your face.

Anti-maskers who bang on about bacteria, oxygen levels etc etc are a bunch of clowns. So are people who bang on about people not wearing masks. It’s none of your business and if you believe this person is going to give you covid-19 then you should probably just leave the store and shop online. Turning into a witch-hunt.

Bull**** justifying it with the dog**** analogy. Anyone letting their dog **** in a public place needs to be shot with a ball of their own ****e mixed with a ball of their dogs ****e.

You've obviously never walked with kids who will find the one piece of dog****e to walk in even in a 20 acre field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

I manage a relatively big store and have asked a few people to wear a mask, one started shouting at me, so could have easily sprayed any kind of disease my way, second one got the hump and left, I make sure my staff stay as safe as possible, should I also have to worry about Muppets that don't give a fiddlers about me or anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,269 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I find in some places a few security people can be very lax on stuff. They seem to be pals of the 'rough people'

Could be more the case of the rough lads trying to butter up security so they can get away with stuff. Security 'ah he/shes grand' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Any liabilities that arise due to facilitating the violation of the legislation. I am not here to imagine scenarios, it is a fact that mask wearing is legislated for and the shop does not have a credible defense if they did not take reasonable steps

Shops only have to put up visible signs to satisfy their legal requirement.

• Advertisement

Ok,I'm calling bs on this.

Advertisement