Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Poorside wrote: »
    It's all that is required as it acts as informing people. I've only managed shops for nearly 30 years, what would I know about the legal side of it?

Given that our last pandemic was a century ago, you'd need a lot more experience to understand the why of masks, if not the rules and recommendations.

Please give us the name and address of your current shop so that those of us with more than two brain cells can avoid it?

Poorside wrote: »
    For a start, my store is rigorous with the guidelines, and secondly it was in response to someone saying signs weren't reasonable.
    I'd love to have the staff to have someone stand at the door and ask people to mask up, I don't, I have a bloody huge sign outside and a lot more dotted around the shop.

That's not rigorous. You have said signs and that's that. That's not reasonable in my opinion. Reasonable is asking people. Your the manager / boss, to should be watching what is taking place and ensuring not only the regulations are observed but your staffs wellbeing.

Supermarkets, as in the place that this thread was about before it got merged, have never closed at any point.

They were open right the way through, including when cases were at their peak and the government decided on a total lockdown. They remained open when everything else was closed. And they remained open when masks not only were not mandated, but were actually discouraged.

Nothing I have just said is an opinion.

Good man, so that's less than a quarter of shops nationally which was not what you said. I can quote you Beck to yourself if you would like? You said shops.

So, this proves your point that shops aren't a cause of spread how?

Everywhere is a cause of spread, everywhere but we need food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good man, so that's less than a quarter of shops nationally which was not what you said. I can quote you Beck to yourself if you would like? You said shops.

So, this proves your point that shops aren't a cause of spread how?

Everywhere is a cause of spread, everywhere but we need food.
    Stating everywhere is a cause is no proof either, it's just a lack of evidence rebuttal to another poster's lack of evidence post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Quote me all you want, you don't seem to realise that I responded to posts made in a thread about a supermarket that was then merged with this thread.

I know it is hard to justify the need for masks when there is such a clear and obvious example of their irrelevance, but no need to take it out on me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I know it is hard to justify the need for masks

It's not hard at all. Masks help to reduce the spread of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

is_that_so wrote: »
    Most of those countries locked down their borders and they did fully lockdown internally. The reference to Spain as a good example here is absolutely baffling - they had a very hard lockdown for the best part of 2 months. Let's not forget too how Austria exported the virus all over Europe through its ski resorts! The Czechs opened up too fast and now like the rest have a massive surge on their hands. What does work is test, isolate, and contact trace effectively. Masks are just a way to keep a lot of people out and about without shuttering large parts of an economy.

Correct, masks are essential so that you can keep going without a lockdown or restricting movement of people.

Czechia never did:
    Restrict movement of people
    Lock down hard, house arrest etc.

Czechia did:
    Closed borders
    Universal mask usage under a fine, both outdoors and indoors
    Work from home encouraged
    Social distancing enforced in retail etc.
    Vigorous tests
    Vigorous contact tracing under a fine/offence
    Closed schools

Relaxed all that beginning of July and it took two months and holiday season imports to get from one of the best to the worst situation in Europe in cases per capita.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Graham wrote: »

Absolutely. Masks can indeed limit the spread of a virus. No question about that whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

con747 wrote: »
    This article explains it to some extent https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/shop-owners-urged-not-to-confront-customers-who-are-not-wearing-face-coverings-1.4334258 If your exempt from wearing a mask then get a letter stating so. My OH needs a letter to cross county borders due to her being an essential worker so why can't they get one. There are to many anti maskers just taking the piss.

No they don't. There are no legal restrictions on travel, essential or not.

NSAman wrote: »
    You need a letter, same as Ireland... No Mask No Service.

Not difficult to do.

Much more litigious here but people abide by the rules for the most part.

Common Good is always better than Individual idiots.

There is absolutely zero obligation for someone who cannot wear a mask to have a letter in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Any liabilities that arise due to facilitating the violation of the legislation. I am not here to imagine scenarios, it is a fact that mask wearing is legislated for and the shop does not have a credible defense if they did not take reasonable steps

You’ve imagined that shops are liable for people not wearing masks, you may as well keep the imagination train going.

**** all? Do you know more about legislation than the minister for justice?

What are Ms McEntees legal qualifications?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

McGiver wrote: »
    Correct, masks are essential so that you can keep going without a lockdown or restricting movement of people.

Really? We have new restrictions added every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

bush wrote: »
    Really? We have new restrictions added every other day.

That's not really true. And it's a failure of the Irish Government(s) that their only strategy is restricting movement and locking stuff down. There's multiple ways how this can be avoided as seen in other countries - universal mask usage is one of the important policies in that basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Lidl checkout girls still not wearing masks. Its beggars belief at this stage.

While I would prefer they wore masks, aren't they behind screens?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

nthclare wrote: »
    Anyhow a mask doesn't filter out the virus, picture a tennis net and get a packet of frozen peas.
    Break up the peas and hit a fistful of them with a tennis racket towards the tennis net.
    You'll see how the peas will not bounce off the tennis net, probably the odd one will hit the net.
    Most of the peas will go through, that's about same volume difference between a mask and the virus.

Please try this and video it so you can show us what actually happens. Think you'll be surprised at how many of those peas don't make it through.

By this stage though someone must have put a video together to show how regardless of the size of the object and holes in the net, they still stop things getting through.

Just compare the size of a football to a football net, yet people still miss and kick the ball into the stands from just the penalty spot, and they are actually trying to aim for the gap between the posts. The virus isn't intelligent, how well do you think it can aim for the gaps between a face mask?

robinph wrote: »
    Please try this and video it so you can show us what actually happens. Think you'll be surprised at how many of those peas don't make it through.

I suspect the poster carefully selected peas/tennis racket rather than something representative of the scale of droplets/mask filtration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

While I would prefer they wore masks, aren't they behind screens?

Yes. But the screens are small and full of gaps. Also its difficult to keep even 1 metre when your packing groceries into trolley.

But that doesnt matter now as much anyway. The virus has been certified airborne by the cdc. Screens are not effective. Masks and ventilation are now essential in safeguarding people when indoors. Thankfully most of the shops are well ventilated but this nonsense about not having to wear a mask if behind a screen is dangerous and needs to be rectified asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I suspect the poster carefully selected peas/tennis racket rather than something representative of the scale of droplets/mask filtration.

Yeah, if we are assuming the peas are the virus particles, the poster does not realise that the peas do not travel anywhere on their own, they are in droplets and (probably) in aerosolised particles. So if you put each pea into a football (droplet) and then feck the footballs at the tennis net you would get a more accurate representation of what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Are they still discussing those visors? They seem to have brought in a ban over visiting other people's houses overnight. But visors, no way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Yes. But the screens are small and full of gaps. Also its difficult to keep even 1 metre when your packing groceries into trolley.

But that doesnt matter now as much anyway. The virus has been certified airborne by the cdc. Screens are not effective. Masks and ventilation are now essential in safeguarding people when indoors. Thankfully most of the shops are well ventilated but this nonsense about not having to wear a mask if behind a screen is dangerous and needs to be rectified asap.

Ah would you stop. Don't go to the shop anymore if it bothers you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Lidl checkout girls still not wearing masks. Its beggars belief at this stage.

Same in Tesco and SV. Tesco had a sign saying they don't have to wear masks if there is a plexi glass up

never_mind wrote: »
    Same in Tesco and SV. Tesco had a sign saying they don't have to wear masks if there is a plexi glass up

Which is correct.

I find it amazing that the screen bugs people but the dozens of people touching your food before you bring it home and eat it, thats grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Current evidence says no to that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Super Valu the other morning nearly all staff had visors. Looks like the polite suggestions from on high re the superiority of masks over visors are not getting through and they're going to have to effectively ban the visors except for people medically advised not to wear cloth masks.

Quote me all you want, you don't seem to realise that I responded to posts made in a thread about a supermarket that was then merged with this thread.

I know it is hard to justify the need for masks when there is such a clear and obvious example of their irrelevance, but no need to take it out on me.

who you answered is irelevent, you stated shops. You pushed that narrative twice.

You havent proven anything and Ill stick to the medical advise being issued around the globe over someone who cannot debate a subject without trying to shift the posts

is_that_so wrote: »
    Stating everywhere is a cause is no proof either, it's just a lack of evidence rebuttal to another poster's lack of evidence post.

Its an opinion based on the known information. Where exactly do you think I am incorrect? Wheres 'safe' outside of a sealed lab?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Super Valu the other morning nearly all staff had visors. Looks like the polite suggestions from on high re the superiority of masks over visors are not getting through and they're going to have to effectively ban the visors except for people medically advised not to wear cloth masks.

Saw a new worker in my local SuperValu, has down syndrome. They were wearing a mask, no bother. The manager comes along in their visor holding another visor and takes this worker out back, so I'm guessing they were going to swap the mask for a visor. Looked like that to me.

Advertisement