Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Id say there is a lot of people wearing the same disposable mask for the last few months or a material one but never washing it. sure how could you keep a virus at bay with clowns like that walking around.

Anyone that thinks one “could keep a virus” at bay with a piece of useless cloth covering is of questionable intelligence to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Will be interesting when or if this trial gets published- https://twitter.com/alexberenson/status/1317875526997102594?s=21

FFS anyone taking a screenshot of an email from Twitter as good info is about as stupid as the half mask people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Shelga

Anyone that thinks one “could keep a virus” at bay with a piece of useless cloth covering is of questionable intelligence to start with

Hard disagree. A man in the supermarket coughed loudly next to me the other day. It made me feel a lot better that he was wearing a mask at the time. Scientific research shows that masks do not completely prevent the spread of droplets, but they certainly reduce the distance they can travel: https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0015044

If wearing a mask reduced the risk by even 10%, why wouldn't you just do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Seen 2 people with a mask up over there forehead, looped around the ears but on the forehead...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Shelga wrote: »
    Hard disagree. A man in the supermarket coughed loudly next to me the other day. It made me feel a lot better that he was wearing a mask at the time. Scientific research shows that masks do not completely prevent the spread of droplets, but they certainly reduce the distance they can travel: https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/5.0015044

If wearing a mask reduced the risk by even 10%, why wouldn't you just do it?

The true statistic is 0%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭quokula

Will be interesting when or if this trial gets published- https://twitter.com/alexberenson/status/1317875526997102594?s=21

Anyone using that kind of provocative language sets off alarm bells about how credible they are. The data should speak for itself. Journals don't need to be "brave" to publish anything that has any actual scientific merit. Interesting that he's both claiming that journals are not brave enough to publish his data, and also refusing to make his public data for anyone else to look at.

Even the premise that the tweet describes as "the ONLY (as far as I know) randomized trial to see if masks protect from COVID" doesn't seem to make sense as the whole point of masks is to stop you infecting other people, and I don't see how they could have had a randomised trial of other members of the public who happened to be near their test subjects. I can't say if their methodology is flawed or not of course because they haven't released anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭pgj2015

rapul wrote: »
    Seen 2 people with a mask up over there forehead, looped around the ears but on the forehead...

I had a guy tell me he wears it under his chin, he said it like he was being really clever by doing so :pac: you have to laugh really.

Did your mammy not tell you to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze? Same ****ing thing, is it going to solve all out problems, of course not but is it better than just coughing all over people, dam sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭daheff

I saw somebody wearing their mask yesterday like it was a ball gag.....really makes me wonder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Anyone I see now half wearing a mask with their nose out, I automatically rate you as a very low intelligence thicko. same with the visors. sometime I really do lose hope for humanity.

Gobsheen at work uses a visor on his helmet. But always has it up. Said it to him and he's said fine and put it down, An hour later and since has it up.

Bad enough wearing a visor but just having it up. Going to have to report him sadly.

• Advertisement

sabat wrote: »

Put up or shut up, where is your data on this?

Edit: spelling

Yada , yada, yada. If and buts, show me one that has been published that wearing masks is pointless?

So you think all water and air particles pass through fabric the same as if there was no fabric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

I had a guy tell me he wears it under his chin, he said it like he was being really clever by doing so :pac: you have to laugh really.

I think some people just enjoy feeling like they are finding and exploiting a loophole in the system.

As soon as this whole thing started you had an endless parade of people who had found quirky and inventive ways to bend the rules without technically breaking them.

You know, instead of just keeping ourselves indoors for at least a few weeks to see how much we can learn about the virus before trying to get back to normal you had people on Day Two of lockdown trying to source a projector and popcorn etc to have a community movie night or some other kooky plan to do something social while technically obeying the rules.

You can almost imagine him chuckling away to himself because he's definitely wearing a mask like he was told but hahahaha what is he like, the cheeky scamp, he's wearing in on his head! Hohohoho! What a joker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Gobsheen at work uses a visor on his helmet. But always has it up. Said it to him and he's said fine and put it down, An hour later and since has it up.

Bad enough wearing a visor but just having it up. Going to have to report him sadly.

See this a lot in retail. Particularly floor staff, if they are away from mangers, visor is up over their head, or mask under the nose or chin.

We are crying out for enforcement on these matters. Im of the opinion that retail is relatively safe and could be kept open under a quasi level 5 resctictions. But we need to get very strict on enforcing mask policy and other safety measures.

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I think some people just enjoy feeling like they are finding and exploiting a loophole in the system.

As soon as this whole thing started you had an endless parade of people who had found quirky and inventive ways to bend the rules without technically breaking them.

You know, instead of just keeping ourselves indoors for at least a few weeks to see how much we can learn about the virus before trying to get back to normal you had people on Day Two of lockdown trying to source a projector and popcorn etc to have a community movie night or some other kooky plan to do something social while technically obeying the rules.

You can almost imagine him chuckling away to himself because he's definitely wearing a mask like he was told but hahahaha what is he like, the cheeky scamp, he's wearing in on his head! Hohohoho! What a joker!

I remember reading on here the day the 5 km rule was introduced, some ejit cyclist kept within the 5 km radius of his house but he cycled for 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

*not mine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

And did you call him ‘a thicko’ as per your opening post?

No, you didn’t.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    And did you call him ‘a thicko’ as per your opening post?

No, you didn’t.

No, I just pitied him to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Wibbs wrote: »
    Indeed it is, but maybe try and look at the information that isn't automatically agreeing with your existing opinion. That's how I went from a position of masks, meh, probably not so effective, to hmmm actually...
    I trust the human instinct first and foremost. Putting cloth over the airway to restrict breathing is not natural and not right. It doesn't feel right, it isn't right, anyone forced to wear a mask feels they want to pull it off so they can breathe freely. Everywhere I go I see people with them pulled down when they get the chance or boss isn't looking. Several people have said it to me openly, including those willingly complying. (They say it to me because they know I won't shame them for it).
    ..."I'll wear what I want" increases the risk for others.
    No it doesn't at all. Use some logic.
    As stated before, if you are worried, increase your own PPE, all the way to hazmat if needed. There's little need to go out anyway when stuff can be delivered.
    Let others who don't share your fear get on with life.
    Instead, you want to not only give up your own freedom, but drag everyone else down with you.
    Christ, I dunno how this can be made any more simple to understand. If a mask is so tightly weaved that it won't allow the freeflow of CO2 out, it's going to stop the freeflow of O2 in.
    And what about the weave itself. The weave has thickness to it, obviously. Restricting the flow and amount of air - obviously.
    You can do your own reserach on CO2 re-breathing and what it is.
    Or better yet, try actual experience: put on your mask for your entire day, take it off only to eat, do that every day for a week, a month, several months, come back and report then.
    I'd bet anything that the 'masks for everyone' are only putting theirs on for half an hour here and there. Because no-one who's sentient is going to endorse something that restricts the airway for hours upon hours.
    I fully understand an exemption in the case of something like people with autism or other developmental conditions where the problem isn't the function of the mask itself, but the extreme tactile discomfort for them wearing anything on their faces. Otherwise healthy adults no, and I'd suggest a trip to a psychiatrist would be more useful to many of them than a trip to a pulmonologist.
    What a sick opinion to have.
    Do you have autism? If you don't, who the hell are you.
    Who are you to speak for anyone else. The arrogance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

eleventh wrote: »
    You can do your own reserach on CO2 re-breathing and what it is.

I'm intrigued.

What sort or equipment do you have at home to be able to do your own CO2 rebreathing research?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

See this a lot in retail. Particularly floor staff, if they are away from mangers, visor is up over their head, or mask under the nose or chin.

We are crying out for enforcement on these matters. Im of the opinion that retail is relatively safe and could be kept open under a quasi level 5 resctictions. But we need to get very strict on enforcing mask policy and other safety measures.

One of the things that gets me is if people had just gone ahead and obeyed the rules regarding masks we'd have a really clear picture on how well they actually work by now.

Instead you've got people who think they know better insisting that masks do nothing and people who just think that is a hoot to get away with breaking the rules.

The problem with enforcement though is that it just becomes to authoritarian and so we are stuck in the horrible situation of asking people who do not give a damn about others to take personal responsibility for protecting others. Stuck with the knowledge that so many will simply just not bother because they just don't care.

I wear a mask on the bus, at the shop and anywhere there are crowds for the simple reason that I do not want to be responsible for someone else being ill.

If anything I now kind of wish this had been common practice with colds and flu etc all along. Yet, we all know that come flu season every year you've got so many people just openly coughing and spluttering and generally not giving a damn if they make other sick. Why would they start now?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anyone I see now half wearing a mask with their nose out, I automatically rate you as a very low intelligence thicko. same with the visors. sometime I really do lose hope for humanity.

Wearing a mask on your chin is like wearing a condom on your balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember reading on here the day the 5 km rule was introduced, some ejit cyclist kept within the 5 km radius of his house but he cycled for 3 hours.

Why would you have an issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The true statistic is 62.3%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Graham wrote: »
    I'm intrigued.

What sort or equipment do you have at home to be able to do your own CO2 rebreathing research?

Think plastic bag will do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Think plastic bag will do :D

.........along with an assistant with stopwatch and smelling salts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

railer201 wrote: »
    .........along with an assistant with stopwatch and smelling salts ;)

Ha you're right, def two men job

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

eleventh wrote: »
    I trust the human instinct first and foremost.
    The difference between humans and animals is that we have the ability to not run on instinct and use thought when required.
    Putting cloth over the airway to restrict breathing is not natural and not right.
    Not natural. Jesus Christ. No doubt you walk barefoot and naked too. I hate to break it to you, but almost nothing you do or have in your life is "natural".
    It doesn't feel right, it isn't right, anyone forced to wear a mask feels they want to pull it off so they can breathe freely.
    Feelings. Great. That's science done for then.
    No it doesn't at all. Use some logic.
    You appear to have a scant acquaintance with logic so it's a tad laughable that you use it as a debate point. You do realise that the vast majority of actual experts including every single health authority on the planet have stated quite clearly that wearing a mask is more about community protection than self protection? Never mind the lower viral load compared to no mask.
    As stated before, if you are worried, increase your own PPE, all the way to hazmat if needed. There's little need to go out anyway when stuff can be delivered.
    Let others who don't share your fear get on with life.
    Instead, you want to not only give up your own freedom, but drag everyone else down with you.
    Chances are I'm "freer" than you are. Vital worker, so there hasn't been a day during this including "full lockdown" that I've not been out and about and meeting people, while taking precautions that protect them and me and mine. Biz is up, all is well, which is a very lucky position to find myself in and I'm very grateful, but unlike some I don't just focus on myself to the exclusion of others. I'm many things, but a self centred prick I'm not. Generally speaking... :D
    I'd bet anything that the 'masks for everyone' are only putting theirs on for half an hour here and there. Because no-one who's sentient is going to endorse something that restricts the airway for hours upon hours.
    I have regularly worn a mask with a rated filtration rate above surgical for many hours of the day. 6, 8, 10 hours. Last Wednesday I wore one from 10 am to 4 pm only removing it to eat and drink for a half hour. And amazeballs I didn't flake out or lose neurons. I know people working indoors that wear them for the regular 9-5 and more, with a few breaks here and there and have been for over a month. Like I said if you struggle to breath through a surgical mask after an hour or two you need medical attention because something is wrong, physically, or mentally.
    What a sick opinion to have.
    Do you have autism? If you don't, who the hell are you.
    Who are you to speak for anyone else. The arrogance.
    To find your reading comprehension isn't up to much doesn't exactly shock me. Try reading it again. It's right above this nonsense you typed. Again for those in the cheap seats and hard of reading:
    I fully understand an exemption in the case of something like people with autism or other developmental conditions . Understand now? It seems masks are bad for the mouth and nose, but blinkers for the eyes are game ball. Or were you hoping to score some silly point, saw "autism" and jumped? Likely.

Frankly this level of sheer ignorance of basic logic and science among your Arsebook and Youtube Karens" and "Kyles" is really starting to grate. Then again that's not too much of a shock sadly. Pathogens have adapted to take advantage of the lazy, the thick, the selfish, the stubborn, the in denial and that's how they spread more easily and they find plenty of hosts among humanity. We have to let go of the phrase "avoid like the plague", because as it turns out so many people don't.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Why would you have an issue with that?

Brief exercise was advised but this smart guy had to beat the system because he is so clever.

Advertisement