Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

I’m curious because I don’t work in an office, but weren’t face masks supposed to be worn in all indoor areas? All this time, we’re people wearing masks in offices or not?

I’m in the music industry and despite how fecked it is at the moment, I was able to do some live broadcasting work and we always had to wear masks and were kept more than 2m apart in the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

rahmalec wrote: »
    I’m curious because I don’t work in an office, but weren’t face masks supposed to be worn in all indoor areas? All this time, we’re people wearing masks in offices or not?

I’m in the music industry and despite how fecked it is at the moment, I was able to do some live broadcasting work and we always had to wear masks and were kept more than 2m apart in the building.
    No, some places are doing it. Retail was the only place it was mandated, otherwise up to individual offices.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Face masks now advised (but not mandated) for busy streets, indoor workplaces and places of worship.

The Taoiseach said it has further been agreed that the use of facemasks is now recommended in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy or crowded outdoor spaces where there is significant congregation.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-new-restrictions-for-christmas-5280916-Nov2020/
    Be hard to make it mandatory and fine people on a heaving Christmas shopping street. He also advised avoiding crowds, probably a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

VG31 wrote: »
    Planes do not have "filthy recirculated air". This myth has been debunked many times.

https://twitter.com/jksmith34/status/1289297364910575618

I havent flown for maybe a decade, but certainly any flight I might take in the future shall involve a mask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Face masks now advised (but not mandated) for busy streets, indoor workplaces and places of worship.

The Taoiseach said it has further been agreed that the use of facemasks is now recommended in crowded workplaces, places of worship and in busy or crowded outdoor spaces where there is significant congregation.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-new-restrictions-for-christmas-5280916-Nov2020/

Seems like May again. Recommend to wear masks. Eh, just make it mandatory, they did it before.

Maybe, next year, what's the rush. Sure it's only coming up to Christmas with more people mixing.

• Advertisement

The thing I don't get about the latest recommendations, masks are mandatory in shops and public transport but it's only a recommendation for crowded indoor areas and busy streets?

Makes absolutely no sense at all. Just make them mandatory in all indoor work places. My guess it's coming but probably March or April after the first vaccine given out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The thing I don't get about the latest recommendations, masks are mandatory in shops and public transport but it's only a recommendation for crowded indoor areas and busy streets?

Makes absolutely no sense at all. Just make them mandatory in all indoor work places. My guess it's coming but probably March or April after the first vaccine given out.

But do two lads working at opposite ends of a warehouse need the same regulations as the people working in a crowded office with no ventilation?

And is a busy day in the main street in Ballygobackwards with a total population of the town of a couple of hundred and there is only three people popping into the post office on the busy day the same as wandering down Grafton Street in Dublin?

Easier to just leave it as recommendations and hope people use a bit of common sense than try to properly regulate for a million different situations that are not in any way comparable.

robinph wrote: »
    But do two lads working at opposite ends of a warehouse need the same regulations as the people working in a crowded office with no ventilation?

And is a busy day in the main street in Ballygobackwards with a total population of the town of a couple of hundred and there is only three people popping into the post office on the busy day the same as wandering down Grafton Street in Dublin?

Easier to just leave it as recommendations and hope people use a bit of common sense than try to properly regulate for a million different situations that are not in any way comparable.

Outside is different and in Ireland, it just rains anyway, makes masks wet and masks don't work when wet.

But indoors, masks should have been made mandatory months ago. You can be on your own and be breathing out viral particles and only infecting the air, only for someone else to walk in and be infected. So yes, the two lads working at opposite ends of the warehouse should be wearing masks.

Breathing is not included as a mode of transmission. We have only got as far as talking loudly, singing, shouting, coughing and sneezing.

It's simply the cheaper and easier option for the gov to leave it at recommendations. Once again education being sidelined by GOV.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Outside is different and in Ireland, it just rains anyway, makes masks wet and masks don't work when wet.

But indoors, masks should have been made mandatory months ago. You can be on your own and be breathing out viral particles and only infecting the air, only for someone else to walk in and be infected. So yes, the two lads working at opposite ends of the warehouse should be wearing masks.

Man you’ve lost the plot with this. I hope in time you can recover and live a normal life.

The fear your showing is not good to see.

How did we all survive for the last 100 years breathing out particles and viral loads as u put it??

Your not Sam Mcconkey Or Anthony Staines are u ??

• Advertisement

Man you’ve lost the plot with this. I hope in time you can recover and live a normal life.

How did we all survive for the last 100 years breathing out particles and viral loads as u put it??

I'm not showing any fear, just stating facts that scientists already have. Covid is spread by someone just breathing.

It's in the NPHET letter and seeing as they are ignoring their thoughts on hospitality this is a minor concession. Mandatory outdoor mask wearing during Christmas shopping would be absolutely impossible to police and enforce. Indoor, outside retail, is equally unenforceable and down to the policy of a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 feedmindc19

I'm not showing any fear, just stating facts that scientists already have. Covid is spread by someone just breathing.

Don't forget farts,
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/5322348/doctor-coronavirus-people-spreading-farts/

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Must be a slow news day, paper never refuses ink. Assuming farts did spread Covid, would that mean the anti-maskers going around bottomless ? After all, what's good for the face must be good for the ass too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You haven't got a clue so you have a go at the poster.

We do ok breathing out particles and viral loads most of the time, but not when there is an airborne global pandemic going on. How can you not get that? I guess you are better off with the smart comments than trying and failing to say something of worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

robinph wrote: »
    It's not too complicated for security to figure out ways around needing to see peoples faces for banking or airports. Install a box with a screen on the front, person walks in, removes their mask, shows their ID or gets their photo taken depending on the situation, put mask back on, leave box.

Just so far it's not been worth going to the expense of setting this kind of thing up because it will start to be sorted out at some point in the future and we'll not need to be wearing masks to the same extent and we can then get back to doing things mostly how we were a year ago.
    So you want a box to be the high risk area with 100s if not more exposing their faces etc in it? Back to the drawing board on that one :)

Ya maskers should really plug that ass good and tight, Id imagine they'd have to remove their heads from it first

You seem a little obsessed with peoples asses. Try to think about something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Tork wrote: »
    Someone who chooses not to wear a mask is making a statement that have no respect for the people they meet when they're out and about. Where does personal responsibility come into it if they are the ones who happen to have covid and infect others?

I have a mask exemption and statements like that make me sick.

I CANNOT wear a face covering and if people like you have a problem stay at home.
    I suppose you never break the speed limit?
    Waste water or food?
    Drop litter in the wrong bin.

My exemption is lawful and none of your business if somebody tries to bully or harass me while I am out I now have ZERO tolerance for their bull.

The old granny killer line :o

Yes I have a reply to that old line but I cannot repeat it on boards.:)

My knickers almost killed me as well. Getting one leg in and I almost fell over. It doesn't make wearing knickers wrong. Same with masks.

That is from getting them into a twist.

• Advertisement

Fodla wrote: »
    Masks cause difficulty breathing, rash, dry skin (http://tulsabeacon.com/mask-lawsuit/). They can't be compared with knickers.

Have to disagree with you on that I would not want a pair of knickers on my face either.:D

Tork wrote: »
    Someone who chooses not to wear a mask is making a statement that have no respect for the people they meet when they're out and about. Where does personal responsibility come into it if they are the ones who happen to have covid and infect others?

My exemption is lawful and none of your business if somebody tries to bully or harass me while I am out I now have ZERO tolerance for their bull.

If you have an exemption you are not choosing not to wear a mask you are physically, emotionaly or mentally unable to wear a mask.

None of us ever asked if your exemption was lawful or bull.

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

We're I work I deal with a lot of people with covid which has saved me so far a big risk is when I eat with co workers. Masks work best when 2 people were them try and get n95 or kn95 masks but watch out for fakes open them up and the middle one you light it with a flame it should srivel up as it should be plastic.99% people can wear a mask if you can't wear a face shield
    And also every one wash your hands or use alcohol hand sanitizer also shower when you get home from work and put on clean clothes the less time you are in an enclosed room the less chance you will get covid if you are leave doors and windows
    To test a mask blow at it and see if you can feel air with your hand
    If you can get a different mask also hold it up to see if you can see through it if so it's no good people don't realize your not wearing the mask for yourself it's to protect other people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wear them in the shops etc but not going to wear them outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

We didn't all survive. Some people did, then vaccines were developed that saved more of us. The problem with Covid19 is that it's not been seen before so we are still figuring out the pathology. Any measures that we can take like distancing and masking are better than intubation or cremation.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Dubl07 wrote: »
    We didn't all survive. Some people did, then vaccines were developed that saved more of us. The problem with Covid19 is that it's not been seen before so we are still figuring out the pathology. Any measures that we can take like distancing and masking are better than intubation or cremation.

We know very well now who is vulnerable to this virus.

The rest who are diagnosed with it by means of an over amplified waste of time PCR test are treated by some breakthrough medical scientific treatment...

This amazing treatment which makes this killer virus disappear is to Stay at home for 14days and you’ll be ok....

The over reaction to this since the initial stages in Feb March April is very sad to see....

Logically thinking people from this time last year have lost their mind in 2020 by the constant bombardment of this virus in the news and media.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

This amazing treatment which makes this killer virus disappear is to Stay at home for 14days and you’ll be ok...

Not necessarily, but you won't spread it further.

To borrow a quote

"The virus doesn't move, people move it. ... We stop moving, the virus stops moving, the virus dies, It's that simple."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm sorry for you and I show my utmost respect for your condition.

I suppose you never break the speed limit?
    Waste water or food?
    Drop litter in the wrong bin.

Though it has nothing to do with this thread, but I want to tell you that I might have broken speed limits, and I regret it.
    But since the spreading of this pandemic I have lost respect for wasting water and dropping litter in the wrong bins. I don't care anymore for what is around me. It must be one of the many faces of the depression for what I'm forced to live.

I'm sorry for you and I show my utmost respect for your condition.

Someone pops up and self proclaims a lawful excemption without anyone asking if it was lawful, smells of bull to me. Jumping up in solidarity with respect for a potential liar also stinks.

Though it has nothing to do with this thread, but I want to tell you that I might have broken speed limits, and I regret it.
    But since the spreading of this pandemic I have lost respect for wasting water and dropping litter in the wrong bins. I don't care anymore for what is around me. It must be one of the many faces of the depression for what I'm forced to live.

Pulling a depressed card from your pocket does not give you exemption from replies.

It might cheer you up to know human's cannot waste water, the same amount of water exisits on the earth now as it did 100 years ago, we can however mis treat water. So don't be too hard on yourself about wasting water. I wouldn't worry too much about dropping litter in the wrong bins, we are not all perfect, we can only try to be our best, consistently.

If you wear a mask you can worry less also.

• Advertisement

We know very well now who is vulnerable to this virus.

The rest who are diagnosed with it by means of an over amplified waste of time PCR test are treated by some breakthrough medical scientific treatment...

This amazing treatment which makes this killer virus disappear is to Stay at home for 14days and you’ll be ok....

The over reaction to this since the initial stages in Feb March April is very sad to see....

Logically thinking people from this time last year have lost their mind in 2020 by the constant bombardment of this virus in the news and media.

Yesterday you were confused how an airborne respiratory virus might be a risk. Today you seem to be struggling with the concept of isolating infected people to limit it's spread.

Let me spell it out for you...isolation is not a treatment.

Advertisement