Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

WHO updated mask guidance this week. Medical masks are no longer being asked to be left for HCW's alone.

LINK

Medical masks are recommended for:

Health workers in clinical settings.
    Anyone who is feeling unwell, including people with mild symptoms, such as muscle aches, slight cough, sore throat or fatigue.
    Anyone awaiting COVID-19 test results or who has tested positive.
    People caring for someone who is a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 outside of health facilities.

Medical masks are also recommended for the following groups, because they are at a higher risk of becoming seriously ill with COVID-19 and dying:

People aged 60 or over.
    People of any age with underlying health conditions, including chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity, immunocompromised patients and diabetes mellitus.

Non-medical, fabric masks can be used by the general public under the age of 60 and who do not have underlying health conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How has it taken the WHO 11 months to update their mask guidance?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How has it taken the WHO 11 months to update their mask guidance?

Pretty sure they were updated in summer to recommend mask wearing, but they asked general public not to buy medical grade ones if there were potential shortages. That latter part has been updated.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

US President-elect Joe Biden has said he will ask Americans to wear masks for his first 100 days in office to curtail the spread of coronavirus. The first 100 days of a new presidency is symbolically important in the US and is seen as a gauge of how a president will get things done.

"The first day I'm inaugurated to say I'm going to ask the public for 100 days to mask. Just 100 days to mask, not forever. One hundred days. And I think we'll see a significant reduction if we occur that, if that occurs with vaccinations and masking to drive down the numbers considerably."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55182309

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

A new group have set themselves up and are seeking to add additional guidance to Biden’s Transition COVID-19 Advisory Board from a wider array of public health experts, including pandemic and aerosol experts. Will America go airborne before the WHO, 100 days of airborne.

As a science-based effort they aim to debunk falsehoods, from the downplaying of the pandemic to the undermining of the role of masks.

https://covidactiongroup.net

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Seanergy wrote: »
    WHO updated mask guidance this week. Medical masks are no longer being asked to be left for HCW's alone.

LINK

Anyone who is feeling unwell, including people with mild symptoms, such as muscle aches, slight cough, sore throat or fatigue.
    People caring for someone who is a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 outside of health facilities.

Medical masks are also recommended for the following groups, because they are at a higher risk of becoming seriously ill with COVID-19 and dying:

People aged 60 or over.
    People of any age with underlying health conditions, including chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity, immunocompromised patients and diabetes mellitus.

Non-medical, fabric masks can be used by the general public under the age of 60 and who do not have underlying health conditions.[/QUOTE]

Translates as non medical fabric mask or face coverings may be worn by everyone else but are pretty much useless and serve as a visual comfort to others only.

This great update from the same WHO that also recently advised Christmas dinner preparation by peeling potatoes and carrots in an different room to control Covid.... :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Seanergy wrote: »

LINK

People aged 60 or over.

Non-medical, fabric masks can be used by the general public under the age of 60 and who do not have underlying health conditions.[/QUOTE]

Translates as non medical fabric mask or face coverings may be worn by everyone else but are pretty much useless and serve as a visual comfort to others only.

This great update from the same WHO that also recently advised Christmas dinner preparation by peeling potatoes and carrots in an different room to control Covid.... :pac::pac:

Looks like your translator is faulty.. Hopefully you can replace it under the warranty

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There's your problem. You're translating something that's already in plain English:
    • People aged 60 or over.
    • People of any age with underlying health conditions, including chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, cancer, obesity, immunocompromised patients and diabetes mellitus.

Non-medical, fabric masks can be used by the general public under the age of 60 and who do not have underlying health conditions.

The same document also states:
    What is the difference between medical masks and respirators, like N95s?

Medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are:
    • composed of 3 layers of synthetic nonwoven materials
    • configured to have filtration layers sandwiched in the middle
    • available in different thicknesses
    • have various levels of fluid-resistance and filtration
    Respirators (also known as filtering facepiece respirators – FFP) are available at different performance levels such as FFP2, FFP3, N95, N99.

Graham wrote: »
    There's your problem. You're translating something that's already in plain English:

The same document also states:

Non medical masks are absolutely useless as we knew all along.

Optics only.

Tosh

Try spitting through a cloth mask. Come back when you manage it.

• Advertisement

Optics only.

Wrong again

Who is "we" ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Wrong again

Who is "we" ?

My guess would be him and the four voices in his head if he believes masks are for “optics only”.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    My guess would be him and the four voices in his head if he believes masks are for “optics only”.

I just hope he is not driving cuz mask could limit his field of view. Some peeps still didn't get the tactics behind covering nose and mouth. So they go "optics only"

Optics only.

Useless as what?
    Without qualification your post is being deliberately disingenuous.

The difference between masks as PPE to protect uninfected and masks as barriers for the general public to stop them spreading droplets has been explained multiple times.

The direct protective effect of non medical masks to the wearer is not why you are mandated to wear them. They protect others as a barrier, as other peoples masks are a barrier to them spreading their droplets to you.

Pure optics.

They’ve done such a marvellous job of suppressing the virus .... I think not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Pure optics.

From the lad who managed to translate English into English and still got it wrong :o

Pure optics.

And you have scientific data that they’ve helped spread it ?? Hahaha!!!

Pure optics.

Just out of curiosity, how did you come to that conclusion?

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how did you come to that conclusion?

Same way as the conclusion that they actually help was reached.

Once again. Non medical face masks and coverings are useless.

Non medical masks and coverings can be made of any sort of fabric rendering them useless

Unless you can get the particle filtration capacity of all these many different fabrics which is impossible

If Mary wears one made from cotton and Jimmy wears one from polyester and someone else wear one made from old curtains so on and so forth what’s the actual use of these.....?

Useless and just provide a visual misguided sense of protection

If Mary wears one made from cotton and Jimmy wears one from polyester and someone else wear one made from old curtains so on and so forth what’s the actual use of these.....?

They stop the spread of Coronavirus laden droplets.

It's not complicated.

Here's a quick and easy experiment you can do at home so see how it works:
    1. Close your curtains.
    2. Try spitting through them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Optics only.

I was going to give a proper response but you know what, it's not worth the bother. We've been through this crap too often.

Non medical masks and coverings can be made of any sort of fabric rendering them useless

Unless you can get the particle filtration capacity of all these many different fabrics which is impossible

https://theconversation.com/amp/covid-19-masks-faqs-how-can-cloth-stop-a-tiny-virus-whats-the-best-fabric-do-they-protect-the-wearer-146822

Is there not a Conspiracy Theory page you can post this ****e on ???

Is there not a Conspiracy Theory page you can post this ****e on ???

It’s no conspiracy

It’s just a fact Non medical face coverings are made from so many different materials.

Do you have the particle size filtration capacity of cotton and polyester and all the fabrics these face coverings are made from??

I doubt very much you have ....

Do you have the particle size filtration capacity of cotton and polyester and all the fabrics these face coverings are made from??

I doubt very much you have ....

Is anyone with Coronavirus exhaling particles?

Nope

I'm just surprised you find this confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

In a local restaurant Friday evening. There was a table of six beside us. Two of the six were pushing 90. The other four were their son and daughters. Two girls in their 20s on their way to their own table see the group & both go & hug to elderly couple. They then go to their own table.

Because of looks from other diners they have a think about what they just did. They mouth over to the son of the elderly couple. He gets up and goes over to them. They ask if they did wrong by hugging his elderly parents. He said of course not as they wore masks when hugging! Neither he nor the two girls had masks on at this stage as they have this conversation.

Government needs to tell people that no mask in the world can protect you against stupidy. It's not a suit of armour and keeping your distance is much more effective

It was very disheartening to witness this on the first day of reopening. Roll on the next level 5 lockdown :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In fairness the masks are useless. I tried using one instead of a takeaway coffee cup the other day, didn't work at all and if it hadn't been that it just collapsed as they tried to put my drink in it I think I'd have burnt my hands as they don't seem to have any thermal protection either... Lucky escape there, but did make a bit of a mess in the coffee shop and I don't think they were happy about it.

Last week I was trying to use a different mask as a boat instead, completely useless for that too. My feet got wet as soon as I tried to climb into it and it sunk. Thankfully I was able to lift myself out of the duck pond and only a couple of people saw it. Think I'll have to put a warning up on Facebook later so nobody else gets caught out like I did.

Has anyone got experience of using masks as windows in their house as we were thinking of replacing some of ours? I'm sure I'll figure out something that masks are good at soon, but completely beyond me what that might be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How does Mary wearing a mask made of one fabric render Jimmy's mask useless?

robinph wrote: »
    How does Mary wearing a mask made of one fabric render Jimmy's mask useless?

Not much point explaining if you can’t understand that different fabrics equals different particle filtration capacity.

• Advertisement

Not much point explaining if you can’t understand that different fabrics equals different particle filtration capacity.

Definitely no point if you can't understand that people don't exhale particles.

It's like you're deliberately ignoring the facts for some reason. :rolleyes:

Advertisement