Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not much point explaining if you can’t understand that different fabrics equals different particle filtration capacity.

How does the particle filtration capacity of Mary's mask effect the particle filtration capacity of Jimmy's mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    In a local restaurant Friday evening. There was a table of six beside us. Two of the six were pushing 90. The other four were their son and daughters. Two girls in their 20s on their way to their own table see the group & both go & hug to elderly couple. They then go to their own table.

Because of looks from other diners they have a think about what they just did. They mouth over to the son of the elderly couple. He gets up and goes over to them. They ask if they did wrong by hugging his elderly parents. He said of course not as they wore masks when hugging! Neither he nor the two girls had masks on at this stage as they have this conversation.

Government needs to tell people that no mask in the world can protect you against stupidy. It's not a suit of armour and keeping your distance is much more effective

It was very disheartening to witness this on the first day of reopening. Roll on the next level 5 lockdown :)

Cool story bro.

While you worry about this others like to get on with their lives.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

While others like to spend their free time spreading misinformation about masks.

People :rolleyes:

Graham wrote: »
    While others like to spend their free time spreading misinformation about masks.

People :rolleyes:

Yeah true. Your at it a good while here now.

robinph wrote: »
    How does the particle filtration capacity of Mary's mask effect the particle filtration capacity of Jimmy's mask?

:rolleyes::o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Definitely no point if you can't understand that people don't exhale particles.

It's like you're deliberately ignoring the facts for some reason. :rolleyes:

WHO disagree with you.

The virus can spread from an infected person's mouth or nose in small liquid particles when they cough, sneeze, speak, sing or breathe heavily. These liquid particles are different sizes, ranging from larger 'respiratory droplets' to smaller 'aerosols'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cool story bro.

We'd all like to get on with our lives as before, but fortunately most of us do give a f*** about others and are prepared to make some changes.

We'd all like to get on with our lives as before, but fortunately most of us do give a f*** about others and are prepared to make some changes.

Ah yeah the usual line from the pro mask pro lockdown brigade

What about the granny killer line :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Government needs to tell people that no mask in the world can protect you against stupidy.

But stupid people unlikely to understand what government just said to them ;)

WHO disagree with you.

The virus can spread from an infected person's mouth or nose in small liquid particles when they cough, sneeze, speak, sing or breathe heavily. These liquid particles are different sizes, ranging from larger 'respiratory droplets' to smaller 'aerosols'

And what the WHO actually say:
    These include saliva, respiratory secretions or secretion droplets. These are released from the mouth or nose when an infected person coughs, sneezes, speaks or sings, for example. People who are in close contact (within 1 metre) with an infected person can catch COVID-19 when those infectious droplets get into their mouth, nose or eyes.

To avoid contact with these droplets, it is important to stay at least 1 metre away from others, clean hands frequently, and cover the mouth with a tissue or bent elbow when sneezing or coughing. When physical distancing (standing one metre or more away) is not possible, wearing a fabric mask is an important measure to protect others. Cleaning hands frequently is also critical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

This is pure crap. Wearing a mask doesn't mean people necessarily want to or are happy to do so, but do accept they offer a level of protection within society. Likewise it most certainly doesn't suggest people are pro lockdown. Even those who accept we are in a situation which requires restrictions aren't happy to be in that situation.

You're just looking for a rise from people but, we've been through this nonsense already and you've added nothing new to the rubbish already spouted.

Thats me wrote: »

Stupid people blindly follow what our government say.

Wouldn’t let our elected representatives run a sweet shop yet people wait on their every word regarding this virus.

Anything they’ve done is all reactive actions.

They’ve been useless beyond belief in dealing with this. They’ve had 9 months to get things together but alas it’s still the same plan.

Wait wait wait for a vaccine. What’s going to be the plan when/if that doesn’t work??

Stupid people you can accept, it's the otherwise intelligent people playing stupid that are the most surprising.

I'm not sure if it's boredom or just some sort of temper tantrum because masks all hurty/human rights/government conspiracy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:rolleyes::o

Wondering if your emoji to English translator is better than your English to English translator and you could try giving an answer using words?

WHO disagree with you.

Maybe you can explain how a mask made out of a curtain is useless in preventing the spread of those droplet then?

Or how about explaining how Mary wearing a mask made out of a tshirt prevents Jimmys mask made out of a curtain from spreading droplets? Your colleague doesn't seem to want to provide an explanation of that effect for some reason.

They cannot, as we all can see :)

Wouldn’t let our elected representatives run a sweet shop yet people wait on their every word regarding this virus.

Anything they’ve done is all reactive actions.

They’ve been useless beyond belief in dealing with this. They’ve had 9 months to get things together but alas it’s still the same plan.

Wait wait wait for a vaccine. What’s going to be the plan when/if that doesn’t work??

If vaccine does not work, then lockdowns will prolong, i'd guess. This is effective measure. Even if this will lead to bankruptcy of few pubs and restaurants this is not critical impact, most of revenue generated not by these businesses.

Wondering if your emoji to English translator is better than your English to English translator and you could try giving an answer using words?

You need to go back and read the post again. Your missing some information

Different fabrics equals different efficiency so non medical masks and coverings are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Ah yeah the usual line from the pro mask pro lockdown brigade.
    Pure optics.

Once again. Non medical face masks and coverings are useless.

rendering them useless.

Useless and just provide a visual misguided sense of protection
    Non medical masks are absolutely useless as we knew all along.

Optics only.

useless and serve as a visual comfort to others only.

Maybe this thread has become useless?

Different fabrics equals different efficiency so non medical masks and coverings are useless.

I really don't think I'm the one missing anything. Just to remind you what you stated:
    If Mary wears one made from cotton and Jimmy wears one from polyester and someone else wear one made from old curtains so on and so forth what’s the actual use of these.....?

Now if you could explain how Marys mask renders Jimmys mask useless, or the other way round, it would be helpful. If you are trying to claim something else then you need to explain it, but your claim is that one person wearing one type of mask causes another type of mask to become useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

It still stands, not a joking matter either. ;)

• Advertisement

I really don't think I'm the one missing anything. Just to remind you what you stated:

Now if you could explain how Marys mask renders Jimmys mask useless, or the other way round, it would be helpful. If you are trying to claim something else then you need to explain it, but your claim is that one person wearing one type of mask causes another type of mask to become useless.

If you manage to read it i never said Mary’s mask makes Jimmy’s useless.

One more time now just for you

If one mask is made from one material.... right understand that?

And another mask from a different material.... understand that?

Then there is no controlled fabric being used as in medical masks

So the NON MEDICAL MASKS are useless due to the uncontrolled different fabrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

And what the WHO actually say:

That’s what they said in July.

My quote is directly from the WHO Q&A from October 20th 2020, after studies into aerosol transmission. Unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,004 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cool story bro.

I'm not a big fan of masks myself but while you get on with the rest of your life please don't be scratching your head with surprise when we enter level 5 yet again. I like eating out and these businesses will only be allowed to stay open if their customers can follow some very basic & very simple rules.

I'm not a big fan of masks myself but while you get on with the rest of your life please don't be scratching your head with surprise when we enter level 5 yet again. I like eating out and these businesses will only be allowed to stay open if their customers can follow some very basic & very simple rules.

There’s is no need for level five lockdown when you have 35 people in icu and less than 300 people hospitalised from a population of nearly 5 million people.

Why that is happening.....,These are the real questions that need answering.

If you manage to read it i never said Mary’s mask makes Jimmy’s useless.

One more time now just for you

If one mask is made from one material.... right understand that?

And another mask from a different material.... understand that?

Then there is no controlled fabric being used as in medical masks

So the NON MEDICAL MASKS are useless due to the uncontrolled different fabrics.
    Still think you are struggling with understanding the language you are using and exactly what it is you are trying to convey.

We can agree that some masks are better than others.
    We can agree that wearing a mask under your nose is a bit futile.
    We can agree that masks being made out of unknown fabrics means that there isn't a standard rating for what the different fabrics might let through, or not.

You can't make a claim from that, that anything that isn't manufactured following a particular mask standard is therefore useless though. My front door is not rated to meet standards defined for the manufacture of medical masks, that doesn't make it useless in preventing the passing of the virus from one person stood on one side of the closed door to another person stood on the other side of the closed door.

Masks not being tested for a certain standard doesn't mean that they don't meet that standard, just that they haven't been tested. Now about the mask made from old curtains, how did your attempts to spit through your curtain work? Did you manage to spit through a mask made from tissue paper?
    Neither the curtain mask or the tissue paper mask have been made to meet any mask standard, but they clearly function differently and one will let different things through, or fall apart, whilst the other will not.

That you are using a tissue paper mask, doesn't make the mask made out of old curtains useless.

There’s is no need for level five lockdown when you have 35 people in icu and less than 300 people hospitalised from a population of nearly 5 million people.

Why that is happening.....,These are the real questions that need answering.

There is need in lockdown to prevent exponential growth of these numbers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

How do you know non medical masks are useless?

Holding a piece of cloth up to the light and you can see through it. I learnt that very early on and probably useless. Double it over and it's better. But you know what really helped, a filter pocket.

I'm part of a sewing group on Facebook and they don't just whip out any old piece of fabric. Thought goes into what you're using the fabric for and what's important in making a mask. As much layers as possible without suffocating, so doubling up on fabric and a filter pocket is best.

You're talking as if people are pure thick but how do you know how many layers are in someone's face covering? How do you know masks or coverings are useless?

I saw someone a few weeks ago, take their face covering of their face to sneeze. That completely defeats the purpose, so stupid people help in spreading disease, it's not the masks or face coverings.

There is need in lockdown to prevent exponential growth of these numbers.

Is that you Professor Nolan ....,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

LOL you haven't got a leg to stand on so try to avaoid people pointing out your stipidity by responding with emoji's and lame one-liners like above. You've long since lost the debate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

So you've no sensible reply (That line's done to death here when arguments fail).

Advertisement