Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

You and all here along with Dr Holohan are in for some surprise if you think mask wearing is going to be a long term thing.

It ain’t going to happen especially as most are only wearing the stupid yolks as a means to go into a shop etc.

There’s not a hope it’s going to continue.

Yolks? :D:pac: Anyway I think you may well end up with egg on your face if you believe that. As I stated previously in addiion to Covid if flu cases continue to be virtually non existent which is largely due to mask wearing and social distancing.then the policy going forward will in all likelihood be to continue to make mask wearing mandatory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It’s over whenever people decide for themselves it’s over. Complete ridiculous overreaction to the whole thing once we actually knew what we were dealing with from June onwards.

Nothing changed in June though. Virus hasn't gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Yolks? :D:pac: Anyway I think you may well end up with egg on your face if you believe that. As I stated previously in addiion to Covid if flu cases continue to be virtually non existent which is largely due to mask wearing and social distancing.then the policy going forward will in all likelihood be to continue to make mask wearing mandatory.

Won’t happen not a hope. Pro maskers and lockdown heroes gonna be so sad once life gets back to normal following a ridiculously over extended fear and social media driven so called pandemic.

Masks will be confined to the bin where they belong with zero evidence of their effectiveness anyways

Nothing changed in June though. Virus hasn't gone away.

Cases went down to single figures day on day and deaths were pretty much zero.

All achieved without masks too I might add.

Won’t happen not a hope. Pro maskers and lockdown heroes gonna be so sad once life gets back to normal following a ridiculously over extended fear and social media driven so called pandemic.

Masks will be confined to the bin where they belong with zero evidence of their effectiveness anyways

Can you start another thread on the lockdown please? It's just that it seems like you think the pro maskers also want lockdowns and want businesses to close. We very much do not want to see that.

Maybe people wear masks because they see the benefit, not just preventing the spread but also helping in anyway they can so that we don't end up in another lockdown? We don't wear them to spread fear that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

PnP has been wrongly putting pro-maskers with pro-lockdown, it's a trademark move at this stage.

I see you have your head deeply buried in the sand. Keep clinging on to your delusional nonsense though if it makes you happy pal.

Cases went down to single figures day on day and deaths were pretty much zero.

All achieved without masks too I might add.

The country was in lockdown from March till June, do you think that helped with reducing the spread? And cases started going up when the country opened up again, just in case you hadn't noticed. And coming out of the lockdown, we still have anti-maskers around spreading disease.

Seanergy wrote: »
    PnP has been wrongly putting pro-maskers with pro-lockdown, it's a trademark move at this stage.

It's because we're pro everything. Of course we love seeing our country ruined. Ruined by idiots who won't wear a face mask because they contain microchips and it's just there to control and spread fear.

Really? It would explain those last few ranting posts of his right enough.

• Advertisement

I see you have your head deeply buried in the sand. Keep clinging on to your delusional nonsense though if it makes you happy pal.

Only one delusional person here if you think people are going to be wearing masks indefinitely.

Totally deluded your are pal....

Masks will be confined to the bin where they belong

It’s time to move on people.

Genocide. Vulnerable cleansing?

The country was in lockdown from March till June, do you think that helped with reducing the spread? And cases started going up when the country opened up again, just in case you hadn't noticed. And coming out of the lockdown, we still have anti-maskers around spreading disease.

Cases didn’t rise until late July into August. We had weeks and weeks of single figure day cases.

These single figures were achieved outside of restrictions/lockdown. There was no proper lockdown ever in this country. Some restrictions were in place but never an actual lockdown.

Genocide. Vulnerable cleansing?

You need help if you think not wearing a mask or getting on with life equals to genocide

I hope you can recover from this in time...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Cases didn’t rise until late July into August. We had weeks and weeks of single figure day cases.

It's almost as if cases spread and numbers rise exponentially. :rolleyes:

Graham wrote: »
    It's almost as if cases spread and numbers rise exponentially. :rolleyes:

Most of those cases were meat factories which were totally immune to closure for the requisite 14 days.

Then we had the schools reopened to add to the cases but we were told and convinced that the spread was from households and pubs and restaurants etc.

Most of those cases were meat factories which were totally immune to closure for the requisite 14 days.

Then we had the schools reopened to add to the cases but we were told and convinced that the spread was from households and pubs and restaurants etc.

Honestly, do you think we don't want our lives back? To go on holidays on a whim, go to concerts and matches, meet up in a crowded pub or nightclub without a care in the world?

Food production was unsurprisingly deemed essential.

Kinda makes sense when you think about it but probably entirely off-topic for a discussion around masks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So cases spread in meat factories where people were in close contact in conditions the virus likes and if people didn't need to eat the facilities would have closed down for 14 days to stop the spread... But there is no virus and we're all imaging it.

And schools are responsible for the spread of cases and the rise in numbers rather than homes, pubs, restaurants. But we should open pubs so that you can have a drink as that's more important than children getting an education, and it's still just an imagined virus as despite it being spread by schools it's also made up.

No idea what your point is, and I don't think you can remember from the start of one sentence to the end of it what you are trying to claim.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

You need help if you think not wearing a mask or getting on with life equals to genocide

I hope you can recover from this in time...

Mod:

Attack another poster along these lines again by saying they 'need help' or they are 'deluded' and your posting access to this thread will be revoked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

There was a useful Q&A on RTE's Drivetime about the vaccine. https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21881809

As part of it, they explained why people will still be required to wear masks even after the vaccine. It isn't because of some sort of sinister plan to glue masks to our faces and make us fearful and miserable forever. It is simply because they still aren't sure if immunised people can still spread the virus. They didn't say it but I'm sure they're also thinking that once the vaccines start to roll out, some less considerate people will lie and claim that have got the jabs. Then they'll stop wearing masks in the places they're currently required to wear them.

robinph wrote: »
    So cases spread in meat factories where people were in close contact in conditions the virus likes and if people didn't need to eat the facilities would have closed down for 14 days to stop the spread... But there is no virus and we're all imaging it.

And schools are responsible for the spread of cases and the rise in numbers rather than homes, pubs, restaurants. But we should open pubs so that you can have a drink as that's more important than children getting an education, and it's still just an imagined virus as despite it being spread by schools it's also made up.

No idea what your point is, and I don't think you can remember from the start of one sentence to the end of it what you are trying to claim.

Yeah over 250 case in one particular factory and no talk of closure to quell the spread. Nobody was going to starve if one factory closed for two weeks.

All mixed messages from the start with this virus and it’s control measures.

No interest whether pubs or restaurants open, just don’t be using certain things to suit the agenda like our public health experts have been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Tork wrote: »
    There was a useful Q&A on RTE's Drivetime about the vaccine. https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21881809

As part of it, they explained why people will still be required to wear masks even after the vaccine. It isn't because of some sort of sinister plan to glue masks to our faces and make us fearful and miserable forever. It is simply because they still aren't sure if immunised people can still spread the virus. They didn't say it but I'm sure they're also thinking that once the vaccines start to roll out, some less considerate people will lie and claim that have got the jabs. Then they'll stop wearing masks in the places they're currently required to wear them.

But would you not agree that they may be missing the point?

Because vaccines as they emerge at this point were never about stopping the spread. They were about mitigating infection symptoms. So that people wouldnt be getting sick and stopped dying in any numbers.

Once they achieve that and people dont get sick and die in any numbers there is limited sense in restrictions which are designed to curb the spread. We can forget about the spread then.

I would go as far as saying that you dont even need those 60% or 70% of the population vaccinated that seems to be the media consensus. Because once you have the problem groups vaccinated again no significant number of people should get seriously ill from it anymore.

Look I'm not claiming to be an expert or whatever but I think this is as reasonable a position as yours. Feel free to point out what I missed.

Edit: I find it actually a little bit sinister anyway that they are implying vaccines stopping the spread were some sort of hard criteria for ever going back to normal or not. Because they know quite weill that the vaccines were never designed with that in mind and are not very likely to stop the spread entirely or stop it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I reckon it's more not to give an impression that from January we can throw away the masks. If we get to 70%+ coverage by say September and we're still masked up it'll have been an utterly futile exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

is_that_so wrote: »
    I reckon it's more not to give an impression that from January we can throw away the masks. If we get to 70%+ coverage by say September and we're still masked up it'll have been an utterly futile exercise.

It's going to get harder to get people to continue wearing them (and taking all the other measures) as the vaccine rolls out but that's another story. Human nature being what it is, people will want to return to normal ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's going to get harder to get people to continue wearing them (and taking all the other measures) as the vaccine rolls out but that's another story. Human nature being what it is, people will want to return to normal ASAP.
    Yeah, but we need the testing side to help out there as we go along by completely isolate clusters. If numbers fall as expected/hoped that should not be a challenge.

Absolute nonsense. “There is no back to normal”, absolute scutter. We’ll be back to normal by this time next year, if not months before that.

You can keep your scutts, have a go at explaining back to normal. Willing to have a gentleman's side bet? tenner to charity we ain't back to normal this time next year. Not even half way yet, in my opinion.

All mixed messages from the start with this virus and it’s control measures.

Messaging is pretty clear to me

wash your hands
    keep your distance
    wear a mask

Graham wrote: »
    Messaging is pretty clear to me

wash your hands
    keep your distance
    wear a mask

Well, in all fairness to that poster, he's right about the mixed messaging. We were told masks were of no benefit at the start (I know it was to protect supplies for healthcare workers) but they could have at least had us wearing face coverings. Instead they made them mandatory in the middle of summer and they're still not mandatory in every workplace and only a recommendation.

It's very irresponsible from our government with these mixed messages, so can't be blaming people for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Can you start another thread on the lockdown please? It's just that it seems like you think the pro maskers also want lockdowns and want businesses to close. We very much do not want to see that.

Maybe people wear masks because they see the benefit, not just preventing the spread but also helping in anyway they can so that we don't end up in another lockdown? We don't wear them to spread fear that's for sure.

Masks are a visual trigger to “be scared”. You’ve Dr Death with graphs complaining that the general population aren’t worried enough about the bug. People shove them into their pockets/bags, they don’t wash them at 60 degrees daily, they touch them constantly. If they weren’t mandatory you’d have about 20% of people wearing them. The majority wear them because they have to.

Advertisement