Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    Has anyone used a merkin as a mask?

no but I've used a beer mat

Mod: Three week forum ban for another threadban breach

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A lot of the ones I see aren't behind a partition.

Have a gander at Statutory Instrument 244/2020.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/244/made/en/print
    Requirement to wear face covering when travelling by public transport

5. (1) A person shall not, without reasonable excuse, travel by public transport vehicle within a relevant geographical location without wearing a face covering.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply -

(a) to a person under the age of 13 years,

(b) to a person driving a public transport vehicle from a compartment in which he or she is the sole occupant,

(c) where there is a screen in a public transport vehicle which separates the driver of the vehicle from persons boarding or alighting from the vehicle, to a person driving the vehicle from behind that screen,

(d) where there is not a screen in a public transport vehicle which separates the driver of the vehicle from persons boarding or alighting from the vehicle, to a person driving the vehicle during the periods when no person is boarding or alighting from the vehicle,

(e) to a member of the Garda Síochána in the course of performing his or her duties.

(d) references inter-urban bus & coaches,which usually have been designed without assault-screens,most operators have removed access to the first 2 or 3 rows of seats.

It's worth noting that Worldwide,Public Transport in general has not figured largely as a source of spread for this virus,even on some of the most densely utilised systems.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-public-transport-could-be-safer-than-we-thought-12091657

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have seen a few people not wear a mask in shops lately. The best way to counteract this is to not serve them, they will wear a mask then you will find.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Copying from main thread as it relates to the importance of masks - Animal testing suggests infection through inhaling airborne virus could lead to more severe disease than infection from fomites

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1343997393855983616

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bruno Mannheim

I have seen a few people not wear a mask in shops lately. The best way to counteract this is to not serve them, they will wear a mask then you will find.

How do you know their situation?
    Maybe they are exempt

Why force your opinion onto everyone you see not wearing a mask just because you decide to wear one?

• Advertisement

Maybe they are exempt

Why force your opinion onto everyone you see not wearing a mask just because you decide to wear one?

The ones I have seen do it arent exempt, they told me. They just dont trust the government and want to rebel against the system.

Any ejit knows wearing a mask is for the good of the public. I dont believe in drink driving, im sure some dumb asses do but they cant be allowed drive while drunk, same applies to wearing masks during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They will go to the scan section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

Maybe they are exempt

It is not an opinion, it is the law.

YFlyer wrote: »
    They will go to the scan section.

Most shops don't have scan sections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Went into Eason's in cork today. I left the shop without buying anything because of the carry on and bad covid measures going on. What kind of company has a policy on masks where staff are allowed to do anything with them (one staff member wearing it under their nose). A few more staff members without masks, one behind their stupid screen that has no protection, another going through the shop without a mask... So members of the public has to wear masks but staff don't?

I'm judging every company with the way how they do things and I'll go back to the places that implement and practice good covid measures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bruno Mannheim

paul71 wrote: »
    It is not an opinion, it is the law.

the poster is not the law and the shop is not the law, thats all I'm saying

Its up to the garda to inforce the law, most shops generally wont bother

If the poster sees someone not wearing a mask, then they should just keep their distance if its bothering them and move on

There are plenty people in retail wearing these plastic face shields stacking shelves

Yet they are deemed sufficient for protection. They are also not required in banks and post offices and a shop owner doesnt have to wear one if behind a screen or 2m distance

If the poster sees someone not wearing a mask, then they should just keep their distance if its bothering them and move on

There are plenty people in retail wearing these plastic face shields stacking shelves

Yet they are deemed sufficient for protection. They are also not required in banks and post offices and a shop owner doesnt have to wear one if behind a screen or 2m distance

Deemed sufficient by who? The HSE were talking about banning them a couple of months ago. face shields are for lazy selfish idiots who couldnt be bothered doing what is best for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You've been asleep for a good bit of year I guess.

Happy New year to all of you folks. Was kind of ****e year, but pretty sure we'll get over it. Enjoy the night and stay safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

It is the law, thats all.

You can wave your hands around and rant all you like, I don't care, the garda wont care when you are arrested, and the judge won't care when he sends you to jail for 2 months.

Came across a thing on sky news or BBC news that the UK government are considering making masks mandatory in workplaces, schools and crowded outdoor areas. They're like us, masks not mandatory everywhere. It's beyond me, with a more contagious strain how they don't make masks mandatory everywhere.

Went to have a look at the UK and where masks are mandatory, Anyways, one of the places masks are mandatory in the UK are in banks, post offices and other type of financial type businesses... Have a look at our list and we can take off our masks in banks, credit unions and post offices!!!

Had to laugh at that. How are our banks more safer than in the UK?

Who makes these stupid mandatory lists anyways? It should be all indoor public areas and workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,332 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I expect the rule here re banks is more about security eg there were already rules on couriers removing helmets.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I saw some ejit wearing a mask into the bank lately, then he pulls the mask under his chin while lodging money into a self service machine. The poor guy might have suffocated if he left it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Masks deal fell through when Heroes Aid learned Irish media company was middleman. LINK to article in Examiner.

A deal to bring 150,000 masks to Ireland from China foundered after a fundraising group discovered that the €108,000 bill was payable to Irish festival management company Roqu Media International rather than a Chinese wholesaler.

Roqu, a company paid €14.1 million by the HSE to import ventilators from China, had offered masks to Covid fundraisers Heroes Aid at a cost of €0.72 per unit.

Heroes Aid, a group led by Co Galway public health nurse and former city councillor Mary Leahy, had liaised with Paul O’Brien, a Cork native with knowledge of Chinese supply lines and markets, to bring the Type II R surgical masks to Ireland in mid-April.

A lot of FF heads involved on this, incl Michael Martin, more info regarding set up in an earlier article, the Cork-China WhatsApp group link below.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/doctors-without-borders-cork-china-18126888

It's amazing what 5000 cases a day can do. Loads more mask wearing in the shops. Security guard that used to wear a visor is now wearing a mask and a visor.

I see gloves are making a comeback as well. Kinda glad to see gloves, makes me think that they know how serious the whole situation is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Masking has gone a lot better but there is still a frustrating 5- 20% not wearing or wearing incorrectly.

Its very unfair on the rest on us . These ****ers are putting us at risk and still not being reprimanded.

There needs to be a renewed mask education initiative launched as well as real serious enforcement across the board.

• Advertisement

Masking has gone a lot better but there is still a frustrating 5- 20% not wearing or wearing incorrectly.

Its very unfair on the rest on us . These ****ers are putting us at risk and still not being reprimanded.

There needs to be a renewed mask education initiative launched as well as real serious enforcement across the board.

Id say there will always be 5-20% who wont wear the masks correctly, some people are just thick, there is no hope for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I see gloves are making a comeback as well. Kinda glad to see gloves, makes me think that they know how serious the whole situation is now.

Gloves show that they are concerned, but don't think it provides any additional protection and highly likely adds more risks.

Might help an individual to remember not to scratch their face or further remind others that they are meant to be keeping distance from each other, but it doesn't help with cleanliness at all and makes it trickier to use any hand sanitiser. If people are picking up covid from surfaces, then gloves are the least useful thing you could be wearing (unless you are in a full set of PPE). The gloves themselves then become just another surface you need to worry about and dispose of.

Just use the hand sanitiser before and after touching your face.

Exactly, handy bottle of hand sanitizer to always carry with you is better solution imo.

robinph wrote: »
    Gloves show that they are concerned, but don't think it provides any additional protection and highly likely adds more risks.

Might help an individual to remember not to scratch their face or further remind others that they are meant to be keeping distance from each other, but it doesn't help with cleanliness at all and makes it trickier to use any hand sanitiser. If people are picking up covid from surfaces, then gloves are the least useful thing you could be wearing (unless you are in a full set of PPE). The gloves themselves then become just another surface you need to worry about and dispose of.

Just use the hand sanitiser before and after touching your face.

I completely agree with you about the gloves. The shop worker today wore gloves but didn't sanitize her gloved hands between customers.

If people are this concerned to start using gloves again, why don't people go all out and wear goggles as well? After all, it is an airborne virus that can enter through the mucous membranes and the eye is a mucous membrane. But it seems like we're still concentrating on the large droplet spread.

I completely agree with you about the gloves. The shop worker today wore gloves but didn't sanitize her gloved hands between customers.

If people are this concerned to start using gloves again, why don't people go all out and wear goggles as well? After all, it is an airborne virus that can enter through the mucous membranes and the eye is a mucous membrane. But it seems like we're still concentrating on the large droplet spread.

Just a suggestion, forget about other people. Till they follow the basic guidelines while shopping or whatever, it's fine imo. If you want up the game yourself, put on goggles. I use them myself at work at times, because have to be at very close proximity to other person, in that case both of us have mask and goggles or visor on. I prefer goggles myself, they comfortable to wear. Got the type with the seal around.

I'm using these if you interested. That brand offers plenty of variations of safety goggles, replaceable lenses.

eng_pl_Bolle-Safety-Safety-Glasses-TRACKER-II-Clear-TRACPSI-4902_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

:pac:

:pac:

Another Pac-man player. Good you stick to oldies.

Why do they sit in their press conferences without wearing masks?

Still going on about distancing with an airborne virus. There's only one person I see in those press meetings that can't wear a mask is the sign language person. But even at that, to minimise risk can deaf people not read the news online?

Watching Philip Nolan tell us about the huge increase, well no sh!t Sherlock, put a mask on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Pure thicks, too many of the ould anitmaskers given ALDI ****e I reckon so they played dumb, no other logic to it! Fair play Keith.

https://twitter.com/Aldi_Ireland/status/1346812212409729024

Advertisement