Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's about proportionality to the risk..
    Mortality for COVID-19 appears higher than for influenza, especially seasonal influenza. While the true mortality of COVID-19 will take some time to fully understand, the data we have so far indicate that the crude mortality ratio (the number of reported deaths divided by the reported cases) is between 3-4%, the infection mortality rate (the number of reported deaths divided by the number of infections) will be lower. For seasonal influenza, mortality is usually well below 0.1%

If you want to wear a mask to stop yourself passing on influenza, you'll be pleased to hear there is nothing to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

saabsaab wrote: »
    Just a note, antibiotics are useless against colds and flu. They may however be used against some secondary infections that may come after.

I think that is somewhat getting a bit off tangent tbh. The issue was medications used to help treat colds and flu's. Sequela ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Genuine question. Except I knew the answer.
    Antibiotics don't work on viruses so are not a valid treatment for colds. They can be useful if you get a bacterial infection alongside the viral one.Tamiflu can reduce the severity of influenza - but only if you take it soon enough, and yhata hard to do. Other than that, I've only heard of symptom relief treatments, not ones that address the disease.
    If masks are effective for Covid, they should be used for these diseases too.

I don't think you do tbh

You left out the influenza vacines used each year btw.

As detailed there are also approved medications used for both illnesses / secondary infections

Big difference with the current designated pandemic - is we have no vacine and many medications are still being evaluated.

But this is your big chance. Start a campaign for mask use if you believe strongly they should be used for colds and flus as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Saw a Chinese family today out shopping dressed up in a thick mask, gloves and safety goggles yes safety goggles one of them was even wearing the goggles over their glasses. Utter madness.

Out doing the shopping early this afternoon, only one person not wearing a mask.

More surprisingly, nobody at all with a mask tucked under their nose.

It's quite apparent the message is sinking in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

GT89 wrote: »
    Saw a Chinese family today out shopping dressed up in a thick mask, gloves and safety goggles yes safety goggles one of them was even wearing the goggles over their glasses. Utter madness.

No madness whatsoever about it. Quite sensible precautions. Also do we need to add xenophobia to your lengthy list of issues?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

They have immunity sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Think you saw fcuk all. You just felt like to post another bs.

No madness whatsoever about it. Quite sensible precautions.

So do you support goggles or some sort of eye protection being made mandatory too if it is a sensible precaution?

So do you support goggles or some sort of eye protection being made mandatory too if it is a sensible precaution?

I doubt anyone would object if you decided to wear goggles.

Personally I'm happy enough with the mask/hand-washing/social distancing for now but to each their own.

• Advertisement

The most important measure is the wearing of masks. The wearing of goggles in addition to masks is sensible but not to be used solely as a replacement for them.

Can't wait to see what kind of game you playing there :D

The most important measure is the wearing of masks. The wearing of goggles in addition to masks is sensible but not to be used solely as a replacement for them.

Thought social distancing was more effective?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

A big bubble like the film bubble boy is the way forward

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Can't wait to see what kind of game you playing there :D

I was only pointing out an observation. I think it's mad to be going around wearing goggles the height of paranoia.

Thought social distancing was more effective?

Social distancing on its own without the wearing of masks is not sufficient to prevent spread of droplets potentially containing virus particles especially in indoor environments.

The day we stop wearing masks will be a great day

bush wrote: »
    A big bubble like the film bubble boy is the way forward

Away you go so and try it out. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Social distancing on its own without the wearing of masks is not sufficient to prevent spread of droplets potentially containing virus particles especially in indoor environments.

If it was suffficent back in March and April why not now? Supermarkets were limiting numbers back then with a queing system but I don't know of any that still do this.

A day which will not be happening in the forseeable future I believe.

• Advertisement

Agree. It will be the day we will have effective treatment for covid or vaccine.

A day which will not be happening in the forseeable future I believe.

You would love that

If it was suffficent back in March and April why not now? Supermarkets were limiting numbers back then with a queing system but I don't know of any that still do this.

Shortage of availability of masks in Feb/March but then you already know all this.

Away you go so and try it out. Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Join me and try it too. It would be great protection.

We know more now than we knew in March/April and we now have a better supply of masks but you already know this.

Any supermarkets I've been into recently are still controlling numbers allowed in at any one time.

You would love that

I`m just being realistic pal. Maybe you will eventually realise that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

If masks are effective for Covid, they should be used for these diseases too.

Just to save everyone's time, is the point you'll eventually make going to be: it's stupid to wear masks "for Covid" if we don't wear them for flu and other diseases too?

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Agree. It will be the day we will have effective treatment for covid or vaccine.

Or the day we realise the virus is killing very few eople or even putting them in hospital

Join me and try it too. It would be great protection.

No thanks. I will allow you to enjoy that experience all by yourself.

• Advertisement

Few people were wearing masks back in June/early July cases were far lower back then than they are today now everyone is wearing them in shops. No can tell me why cases are through the roof despite the wearing of masks and it's not just Ireland masks are mandatory even outdoors in Spain and they havd the highest cases in Europe.

Lower covid in maskless Sweden than Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-incidence-rate-in-ireland-higher-than-sweden-s-for-first-time-1.4342896

Advertisement