Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭pgj2015

shoppers who can not prove they have a medial issue that prevents them wearing a mask, should not be served.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So the late late show has someone getting vaccinated on the show tonight. Sure why not we were all thought how to wash our hands on the late late show.

Show thickos how to wear masks, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

So the late late show has someone getting vaccinated on the show tonight. Sure why not we were all thought how to wash our hands on the late late show.

Show thickos how to wear masks, no way.

All the more reason for mass vaccination ASAP. There seems to be an air of complacency regarding the urgency for this, seeing as we've been told Covid is now 'rampant' in the community.

There was unanimity with handwashing, but we do know there was push back from on 'high' about face masks, hence no great surge of instructional videos on tv.

A most unfortunate supermarket ad over the Christmas showed a young lad, repetitively asking when his grandfather would be 'coming over' - the end showing Grandad and Grandson hugging in the hall, and not a mask in sight or social distancing.

Wear the masks folks, now more than ever, there's a long road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Heroes aid are involved and they take masking very seriously. Tubs might be getting a schooling tonight! fingers crossed anyway

https://twitter.com/Heroes_Aid/status/1347580810623410177

Can people not see other people wearing masks? There's plenty of us wearing them properly. I've even came across packets of masks that has instructions on how to put one on.

So how come there's still idiots who can't manage to put one on properly? Today I saw someone who was wearing one of those blue surgical masks but was wearing it as if it just came out from the packet, as in the rectangle shaped mask covering their mouth but not pulled over the nose or pulled below the chin.

They can manage to dress themselves ok, arms in sleeves, legs in pants. I still don't understand the difficulty in covering the mouth and nose?

• Advertisement

Can people not see other people wearing masks? There's plenty of us wearing them properly. I've even came across packets of masks that has instructions on how to put one on.

So how come there's still idiots who can't manage to put one on properly? Today I saw someone who was wearing one of those blue surgical masks but was wearing it as if it just came out from the packet, as in the rectangle shaped mask covering their mouth but not pulled over the nose or pulled below the chin.

They can manage to dress themselves ok, arms in sleeves, legs in pants. I still don't understand the difficulty in covering the mouth and nose?

It must be just pure defiance at this stage, surely no one is that thick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

pgj2015 wrote: »
    It must be just pure defiance at this stage, surely no one is that thick?

You would be surprised how thick some people can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Finally an Irish article on masks with a lot bit of chew.

Irish guidance unmasked
    By Catherine Reilly LINK

In the next unredacted passage, the minutes read: “Can we recommend something if the supplies aren’t there? Others acknowledged this is happening in other hospitals too.”

Consultant in Emergency Medicine Dr Gerard O’Connor asked for an overview of PPE supplies and Prof Cormican said there was “a gap” between what was needed and what was possible.

Prof Cormican said there were two questions to consider – what is best practice; and what is the best we can do with what we have? He suggested the EAG should review the evidence and decide on what was best practice.

A masks group, which appears to have been established by the HSE, would decide what was feasible, he posited.

A vote was held on the first question on the use of masks by HCWs when a distance of two metres could not be maintained from the patient. Some parts of this section were redacted. Prof Cormican asked that it be recorded he voted against the motion. He felt widespread mask use “rapidly degenerates” into poor practice, which could increase the risk of Covid-19 transmission. He also feared the recommendation would impose “a near impossible challenge” to the supply chain.

Prof Jack Lambert, Consultant in Infectious Diseases at the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, agreed the recommendation had significantly lowered HCW infections.

“It has, absolutely, that is the observation,” he told MI. “As soon as we started using the masks in all situations – just plain surgical masks – the number of new infections in healthcare workers dropped to zero, it is that simple, you don’t need a study to prove that.”

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Seanergy wrote: »

Irish guidance unmasked
    By Catherine Reilly LINK

In the next unredacted passage, the minutes read: “Can we recommend something if the supplies aren’t there? Others acknowledged this is happening in other hospitals too.”

Consultant in Emergency Medicine Dr Gerard O’Connor asked for an overview of PPE supplies and Prof Cormican said there was “a gap” between what was needed and what was possible.

Prof Cormican said there were two questions to consider – what is best practice; and what is the best we can do with what we have? He suggested the EAG should review the evidence and decide on what was best practice.

A masks group, which appears to have been established by the HSE, would decide what was feasible, he posited.

A vote was held on the first question on the use of masks by HCWs when a distance of two metres could not be maintained from the patient. Some parts of this section were redacted. Prof Cormican asked that it be recorded he voted against the motion. He felt widespread mask use “rapidly degenerates” into poor practice, which could increase the risk of Covid-19 transmission. He also feared the recommendation would impose “a near impossible challenge” to the supply chain.

Prof Jack Lambert, Consultant in Infectious Diseases at the Mater Misericordiae University Hospital, Dublin, agreed the recommendation had significantly lowered HCW infections.

It has, absolutely, that is the observation,” he told MI. “As soon as we started using the masks in all situations – just plain surgical masks – the number of new infections in healthcare workers dropped to zero, it is that simple, you don’t need a study to prove that.”

Yet there’s thousands of healthcare workers still infected.
    And thousands of cases of community transmission with mandatory mask wearing in place.

Prof Lambert better review his claim me thinks.

[/B]

Yet there’s thousands of healthcare workers still infected.
    And thousands of cases of community transmission with mandatory mask wearing in place.

Prof Lambert better review his claim me thinks.

Healthcare workers have lives outside from work. Can pick it up anywhere outside from work.

And can you explain why I came across a bunch of teenagers in a shop yesterday without masks??? Mandatory my hole.

• Advertisement

Healthcare workers have lives outside from work. Can pick it up anywhere outside from work.

And can you explain why I came across a bunch of teenagers in a shop yesterday without masks??? Mandatory my hole.

So we now think that our healthcare workers picked up the virus outside of work environment?

That’s really pushing it now.

There’s no way they could have gotten it in work because of the magic masks they wear ?

As for mandatory mask wearing that’s the “law” seemingly for all the great effects it’s had.

We should be brave to try a month without masks in the general community and see what the actual difference would be in the way the virus is behaving.

Would be interesting results I feel.

So we now think that our healthcare workers picked up the virus outside of work environment?

That’s really pushing it now.

There’s no way they could have gotten it in work because of the magic masks they wear ?

As for mandatory mask wearing that’s the “law” seemingly for all the great effects it’s had.

We should be brave to try a month without masks in the general community and see what the actual difference would be in the way the virus is behaving.

Would be interesting results I feel.

Does brave equal stupid?:confused:

what if it just doubles numbers and people die who wouldn't have otherwise? sure it would be worth it for the craic yeah.

Does brave equal stupid?:confused:

what if it just doubles numbers and people die who wouldn't have otherwise? sure it would be worth it for the craic yeah.

Stupid means doing the same thing over and over again with the same result

Sounds like our plan here for the last ten months.

Stupid means doing the same thing over and over again with the same result

Sounds like our plan here for the last ten months.

Just say you are in charge of the Garda ARU, usually when they go to arrest an armed criminals or armed gang members they wear bullet proof vests. would you suggest they don't bother to wear the vests?

what is your issue with the masks? do you find wearing them very hard or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone see the footage from the north of the PSNI challenging a guy in a supermarket because he had no mask?

One cop in particular was being a bit of an a-hole and trying to throw his weight around, but of course the guy with no mask wasn't helping either.

But to see his partner getting involved and his child crying made it an ugly screen altogether.

https://www.facebook.com/100010394467280/posts/1360614057628397/?sfnsn=scwspwa

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone see the footage from the north of the PSNI challenging a guy in a supermarket because he had no mask?

One cop in particular was being a bit of an a-hole and trying to throw his weight around, but of course the guy with no mask wasn't helping either.

But to see his partner getting involved and his child crying made it an ugly screen altogether.

well the person responsible for the child crying was the moron who wouldn't wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

well the person responsible for the child crying was the moron who wouldn't wear a mask.

Of course it is, but we do have a certain section of society who will always refuse to wear one, for whatever reason. I would guess many are just dying to be challenged over it.

I added the link above if you are interested in watching it.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Of course it is, but we do have a certain section of society who will always refuse to wear one, for whatever reason. I would guess many are just dying to be challenged over it.

I added the link above if you are interested in watching it.

yes well them people can be fined/jailed if they don't wear one, simple as.

Just say you are in charge of the Garda ARU, usually when they go to arrest an armed criminals or armed gang members they wear bullet proof vests. would you suggest they don't bother to wear the vests?

what is your issue with the masks? do you find wearing them very hard or something?

We know without any doubt that bullet proof vests work.

Masks were just led to believe they do something.

Let’s just say if we had a month without masks and people refocused on sanitising there hands instead of thinking that their guaranteed protection from a mask . I’d say the cases would be the same as now if not lower.

All we see now is people constantly handling their masks and then everything around them all the while forgetting hands as they think I’m grand with this mask on.

We know without any doubt that bullet proof vests work.

Masks were just led to believe they do something.

Let’s just say if we had a month without masks and people refocused on sanitising there hands instead of thinking that their guaranteed protection from a mask . I’d say the cases would be the same as now if not lower.

All we see now is people constantly handling their masks and then everything around them all the while forgetting hands as they think I’m grand with this mask on.

if you were in a small shop later today and there was a man there coughing, he doesnt have a mask on and isnt using his elbow to cough into. would you rather he was wearing a mask?

• Advertisement

if you were in a small shop later today and there was a man there coughing, he doesnt have a mask on and isnt using his elbow to cough into. would you rather he was wearing a mask?

Women cough too just to be politically correct in this day and age...

No wouldn’t worry about it as he/she is unlikely to actually cough into my face.

We’ve lived with people coughing since time began

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Seanergy wrote: »

Irish guidance unmasked
    By Catherine Reilly LINK

“It has, absolutely, that is the observation,” he told MI. “As soon as we started using the masks in all situations – just plain surgical masks – the number of new infections in healthcare workers dropped to zero, it is that simple, you don’t need a study to prove that.”

Reports from hospitals worldwide are the same. Trasmissions among hcw plummeted when simple surgical masks donning was brought into practice.

Prof cormican should have been fired months ago with the crap he comes out, no asymptomatic spreading just wash your hands etc. Hes a dangerous fool.

No wouldn’t worry about it as he’s unlikely to actually cough into my face.

he doesnt have to cough into your face for you to get covid. what if he was coughing and stood behind you in a queue? would you prefer if he had a mask or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

No wouldn’t worry about it as he/she is unlikely to actually cough into my face.

So how do you think Covid spreads?

There is a pandemic at the moment though, its not 2018.

he doesnt have to cough into your face for you to get covid. what if he was coughing and stood behind you in a queue? would you prefer if he had a mask or not?

So be it.

Wouldn’t I be invincible with my mask on ....?

So be it.

Wouldn’t I be invincible with my mask on ....?

How have you missed the point that masks are mostly for protecting others? God knows, it has been said enough times in here.

There is a pandemic at the moment though, its not 2018.

It’s a media and social media driven pandemic.

Was waiting for that answer. Are we going to carry on with this for every cold and flu season for ever more ??

It’s a media and social media driven pandemic.

Was waiting for that answer. Are we going to carry on with this for every cold and flu season for ever more ??

I see. So you think this is a hoax.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    How have you missed the point that masks are mostly for protecting others? God knows, it has been said enough times in here.

Unless it’s a full face sealing mask the person will still emit particles etc from the mask.
    Then most likely adjust it two or three times and handle the door on the way out.

Advertisement