Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Tork wrote: »
    I see. So you think this is a hoax.

No not particularly but 10-15 years ago it would have been classified as a bad auld dose and life would of continued

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stupid means doing the same thing over and over again with the same result

Sounds like our plan here for the last ten months.

Example of stupid: under the nose mask wearers. And allowing them to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

We know without any doubt that bullet proof vests work.

Masks were just led to believe they do something.

Let’s just say if we had a month without masks and people refocused on sanitising there hands instead of thinking that their guaranteed protection from a mask . I’d say the cases would be the same as now if not lower.

All we see now is people constantly handling their masks and then everything around them all the while forgetting hands as they think I’m grand with this mask on.

I’m not disagreeing with you here, but I saw something from which actually shows why mask wearing is causing the spike in cases.

So to begin with I think masks are part of the solution, if used correctly. But the analogy with I think shows why they are a failure is as follows:

let’s start with the ideal situation: you wear an n95+ mask, you keep a minimum of 2 meters distance, you sanitise your hands and only one person per household ventures out to do shopping etc.

The analogy goes with cheese. We’ll use Emmental cheese. If you wear an n95 mask, think of the random holes in a slice of emmental cheese only covering 5% of the cheese. Take another random slice and by keeping 2 meters apart you have 5% again. Throw in hand washing (which in fairness doesn’t do much side from a psychological aspect to keep distance) and we’ll say 50% of the cheese has holes (again random). Lastly take the only one per household and throw another slice with 25% with holes. Layer all 4 slices on top of one another and the amount of hole space remaining is your chance of infection. Ideally you have a 1 in 100000/1000000 chance of catching it if all 4 are adhered to.

Now why masks are a problem:

As can be seen by this thread and comments, everyone masks are the solution. So all other aspects are forgotten. Throw in most people are wearing masks that at best offer 80% protection, at worse offer virtually no protection, you have a 1 in 100/1000 chance of getting sick. All you have to do is see when everyone was let free, that it was like Christmas time 2019, except people had masks. To no surprise cases spiked. Now it would have been worse without masks, but I firmly believe everyone would adhere to the other three knowing what’s going around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone see the footage from the north of the PSNI challenging a guy in a supermarket because he had no mask?

One cop in particular was being a bit of an a-hole and trying to throw his weight around, but of course the guy with no mask wasn't helping either.

But to see his partner getting involved and his child crying made it an ugly screen altogether.

https://www.facebook.com/100010394467280/posts/1360614057628397/?sfnsn=scwspwa

Why only him?
    His parner was not wearling a mask either.
    Do women not get 'pulled' for not wearing a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

With the new more infectious varients of covid..im guessing masks are still effective? but 2meters social distancing outside is not enough? I'm thinking this as we can get infected with small amounts of the new strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

ddarcy wrote: »
    I’m not disagreeing with you here, but I saw something from which actually shows why mask wearing is causing the spike in cases.

So to begin with I think masks are part of the solution, if used correctly. But the analogy with I think shows why they are a failure is as follows:

let’s start with the ideal situation: you wear an n95+ mask, you keep a minimum of 2 meters distance, you sanitise your hands and only one person per household ventures out to do shopping etc.

The analogy goes with cheese. We’ll use Emmental cheese. If you wear an n95 mask, think of the random holes in a slice of emmental cheese only covering 5% of the cheese. Take another random slice and by keeping 2 meters apart you have 5% again. Throw in hand washing (which in fairness doesn’t do much side from a psychological aspect to keep distance) and we’ll say 50% of the cheese has holes (again random). Lastly take the only one per household and throw another slice with 25% with holes. Layer all 4 slices on top of one another and the amount of hole space remaining is your chance of infection. Ideally you have a 1 in 100000/1000000 chance of catching it if all 4 are adhered to.

As can be seen by this thread and comments, everyone masks are the solution. So all other aspects are forgotten. Throw in most people are wearing masks that at best offer 80% protection, at worse offer virtually no protection, you have a 1 in 100/1000 chance of getting sick. All you have to do is see when everyone was let free, that it was like Christmas time 2019, except people had masks. To no surprise cases spiked. Now it would have been worse without masks, but I firmly believe everyone would adhere to the other three knowing what’s going around.

It was pointed about million times since this thread started, that masks are part of solution how to limit spread not a silver bullet..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,178 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have no idea why you think this. I wear a mask, stay 2 meters away from people, wash my hands, dont touch my face etc. so do most people so im not sure where you are getting this idea from.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    It was pointed about million times since this thread started, that masks are part of solution how to limit spread not a silver bullet..

Is there any solution for stupid people?

Is there any solution for stupid people?

Fines and jail time might help a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

No not particularly but 10-15 years ago it would have been classified as a bad auld dose and life would of continued

So why are the ICUs full of people suffering from a "bad auld dose"?

Oh, and there is no such thing as "would of" in the English language. Nor is there "should of" or "could of" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

All you have to do is go outside and look. People think they are[\b] the solution. And that’s the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Fines and jail time might help a bit.

So putting them in cramped conditions with hundreds of other people?? Seems counter-productive. A stupid suggestion.

So we now think that our healthcare workers picked up the virus outside of work environment?

That’s really pushing it now.

There’s no way they could have gotten it in work because of the magic masks they wear ?

As for mandatory mask wearing that’s the “law” seemingly for all the great effects it’s had.

We should be brave to try a month without masks in the general community and see what the actual difference would be in the way the virus is behaving.

Would be interesting results I feel.

How do you see such large increase and blame it on masks?

We allowed people fly into the country without checks. We opened up restaurants and people mingled. Then we sent them home for Christmas with more minging.

And somehow you think that masks are the problem? Can you tell me how please?

All you have to do is go outside and look. People think they are[\b] the solution. And that’s the problem.

Well people needs to be constantly reminded about basic guidelines. People in the local shop are not able understand yellow stickers on the floor either..

So putting them in cramped conditions with hundreds of other people?? Seems counter-productive. A stupid suggestion.

It would be great that we can keep them all together, so great idea.

not if it stops other idiots from refusing to wear masks. all it takes is to send a tiny few to jail or to fine them and other thickos will get the message.;)

pgj2015 wrote: »
    not if it stops other idiots from refusing to wear masks. all it takes is to send a tiny few to jail or to fine them and other thickos will get the message.;)

I'm afraid thickos will stay thick, they won't be challenged or fined either. That's the reality we have.

I'm afraid thickos will stay thick, they won't be challenged or fined either. That's the reality we have.

But a few have been fined and jailed. That has bound to make others think if it is worth wearing a mask or not.

Tork wrote: »
    So why are the ICUs full of people suffering from a "bad auld dose"?

Oh, and there is no such thing as "would of" in the English language. Nor is there "should of" or "could of" :rolleyes:

Ok then would have , should have and could have

That make u feel better

If you think this would have gotten the same hysterical reporting ten years ago you are wrong.

This is our new society and it’s not looking good for future generations if by some unfortunate circumstance a proper serious “Pandemic “ arrives on this earth.

Ok then would have , should have and could have

That make u feel better

If you think this would have gotten the same hysterical reporting ten years ago you are wrong.

This is our new society and it’s not looking good for future generations if by some unfortunate circumstance a proper serious “Pandemic “ arrives on this earth.

The minute hospitals fills up with sick people, because of the new virus it would be the same, as you say hysterical reporting, even 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

The minute hospitals fills up with sick people, because of the new virus it would be the same, as you say hysterical reporting, even 10 years ago.

Our hospitals fill up yearly with a new flu strain but the hysterical reporting didn’t follow.

This had been brought to a whole new hysterical level.

The fear the media are pumping into older people daily is nothing short of a disgrace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It would be great that we can keep them all together, so great idea.

Hundreds of people all together with a “deadly” virus. How would the ICUs cope?? What about other who got sick after them? No ICU for them??

Our hospitals fill up yearly with a new flu strain but the hysterical reporting didn’t follow.

The fear the media are pumping into older people daily is nothing short of a disgrace

Can you please point me to few articles filled with hysteria and fear. Failing to find any..

Doctors choosing who to put on ventilators in other countries, and case you don't know what a ventilator is, it's life support.

And we have such huge amount of cases now, that we are heading down the same path as those countries.

And you're comparing this to the flu and it's nothing to worry about?

Hundreds of people all together with a “deadly” virus. How would the ICUs cope?? What about other who got sick after them? No ICU for them??

who said they have a deadly virus? we are talking about the people who dont wear masks.

With the selfishness that this pandemic showed, I honestly couldn't give two fuçks if those maskless fuçkers end up in prison and die there.

Not all older people are living in fear. I know plenty in their 80s who arent as afraid of the virus as people in their 30's.

Can you please point me to few articles filled with hysteria and fear. Failing to find any..

The truth is too much to bear. So it gets called hysteria and fear.

Turn on your radio or tv and you can’t miss it. 24/7 with an extra push on the hour every hour.

• Advertisement

The truth is too much to bear. So it gets called hysteria and fear.

I think that is why so many people are trying to convince themselves its all a hoax.

Advertisement