Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Sconsey wrote: »
    Do you know what the term 'community transmission' means? it means that we have no idea where a person contracted the virus from. Why don't you go and check the percentages of transmission that were community based. So the experts are telling us they have no clue where the transmission happened but you imply it was not in supermarkets, even though you say yourself that they were one of the only places people interacted. How do you know all this when the experts say they dont know.

Your sarcastic smilies make more sense than any of your arguments.

Contact tracing would have highlighted whether or not transmission had occurred in supermarkets or not. The staff worked constantly throughout peak transmission period of March-May.

Evidently it didn’t spread in supermarkets as none had to curtail their business during the peak of the virus because they hadn’t enough staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Contact tracing would have highlighted whether or not transmission had occurred in supermarkets or not. The staff worked constantly throughout peak transmission period of March-May.

Evidently it didn’t spread in supermarkets as none had to curtail their business during the peak of the virus because they hadn’t enough staff

Made-up nonsense there. Community transmission by definiton means they do not know where in the community the transmission happened. Contact tracing has no clude where community transmissions occured.

There is no evidence that it did or did not spread in supermarkets. But for some reason you know that community transmission did not happen there.

Makes as much sense as me saying there has been no spread in cinemas...pure nonsense, I can't make that claim just because there have not been any reported outbreaks.

Made-up nonsense there. Community transmission by definiton means they do not know where in the community the transmission happened. Contact tracing has no clude where community transmissions occured.

There is no evidence that it did or did not spread in supermarkets. But for some reason you know that community transmission did not happen there.

Makes as much sense as me saying there has been no spread in cinemas...pure nonsense, I can't make that claim just because there have not been any reported outbreaks.

Well Dr Glynn was able to tell us there was a supermarket out break coincidentally the same week as mandatory masks were introduced.

So that busts that theory on you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well Dr Glynn was able to tell us there was a supermarket out break coincidentally the same week as mandatory masks were introduced.

So if the outbreak was reported at the same time as masks were made mandatory then it was clearly nothing to do with masks then was it. Would take at least a week for an outbreak to be spotted and cases linked together, if not longer.

May have missed some of you nonsense in the last few pages, but just to check where you are up to with your current position... Are you sticking with the "masks cause covid19" claim?
    What about the "there is no covid", are you also a follower of that line?

No my statement is that a huge percentage of cases are classified as community transmission. What you don't understand is community transmission means we don't know where people caught it. But you are still banging the drum that none of that happened in supermarkets based on some kind of intuition.

Community transmission is not a theory by the way.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    So if the outbreak was reported at the same time as masks were made mandatory then it was clearly nothing to do with masks then was it. Would take at least a week for an outbreak to be spotted and cases linked together, if not longer.

May have missed some of you nonsense in the last few pages, but just to check where you are up to with your current position... Are you sticking with the "masks cause covid19" claim?
    What about the "there is no covid", are you also a follower of that line?

It was actually very strange that no mention was made of supermarket outbreaks until masks were brought in. It stank of a justification for the decision to make masks mandatory.
    We went over 5 months in supermarkets unmasked and there wasn’t a mention of them at any NPHET meeting until masks became mandatory.

No claim to say masks cause covid. They are certainly not doing a whole lot to control its spread anyway.

I did say and still standby that constant touching of masks and handling of items and doors etc could be a reason for increased virus transmission

It was actually very strange that no mention was made of supermarket outbreaks until masks were brought in. It stank of a justification for the decision to make masks mandatory.
    We went over 5 months in supermarkets unmasked and there wasn’t a mention of them at any NPHET meeting until masks became mandatory.

No claim to say masks cause covid. They are certainly not doing a whole lot to control its spread anyway.

I did say and still standby that constant touching of masks and handling of items and doors etc could be a reason for increased virus transmission

More made-up tripe....you have no clue what the levels of transmission would be if we hadn't made masks mandatory. Take this statement for example 'Masks have saved us from having huge outbreaks, we would be in a much worse situation without them'. Makes as much sense as your made-up statement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So are masks creating more cases than they prevent? Have you anaylsed the amount of face touching people do whilst wearing masks compared to not wearing masks? Do you have any data on if that touching is transferring covid onto their hands in greater or lesser amounts based on the mask or not? Do you have anything on if people are actually then picking up covid from touched surfaces and if that is effected by people's more frequent usage of hand sanitiser?

You've already been shown plenty of data on how masks do reduce the transmission of airborne particles of covid and how airborne particles are the main method of transmission from one person to another.

You need more than a coincidence about some people getting ill at the same time in a supermarket and a government mandate in just Ireland to tell everyone to wear masks as proof for your position. Did cases rise at the same time in any other countries and did that match up with their local mask mandates or any supermarket outbreaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

More made-up tripe....you have no clue what the levels of transmission would be if we hadn't made masks mandatory.

Neither do you.

But while you are allowed to say that they decreased transmission, others are not allowed to say the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Knowing a cluster or outbreak occurs in a supermarket does not militate the very definition of community transmission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Neither do you.
    But while you are allowed to say that they decreased transmission, others are not allowed to say the opposite.

Those who say that they decrease transmission are quoting from the CDC evidence supporting this.
    There is also the study from Denmark showing mask wearers having slightly less infections than non-mask wearers, so even as PPE it thoroughly discredits the idea that people are picking up infections from 'dirty' masks.
    There isn't a single proven case of fomite transmission of covid.
    Health authorities agree that the virus is primarily spread through respiratory droplets, not through touch \ contact.

In response those who say masks increase transmission offer no scientific references or justification, or explain how, if respiratory inhalation is the primary means of infection, going around without masks is safer than going around with (albeit imperfectly handled) masks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Neither do you.

I never said I did, in fact I went out of my way to point out that noone knows where community transmission occurs. I am not stupid enough to try to deal in absolutes, unlike the poster that is 'certain' that they are not reducing transmission in supermarkets.

I am saying they reduce the risk of transmission as per the scientific evidence. Along with the other guidance of distancing and hand hygeine.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Why does the HSE not advise people to boost their immune system ?

The first line of defence against covid19 for an individual is a strong immune system. I have never heard public health announcements about the need to strengthen our immune systems. All the advice is about staying home, no social contact and face masks. I have not heard any advice about making us more covid19 proof.
    Why ?

More made-up tripe....you have no clue what the levels of transmission would be if we hadn't made masks mandatory. Take this statement for example 'Masks have saved us from having huge outbreaks, we would be in a much worse situation without them'. Makes as much sense as your made-up statement.

Exactly you have no idea either what the level of transmission would be if we didn’t have mandatory masks.

Now you are getting the hang of it.

Exactly you have no idea either what the level of transmission would be if we didn’t have mandatory masks.

So neither of us can be sure, but at the same time you are certain that they are not doing anything to control spread. How is that?

Some man for the flip flopping..which is it? you are certain they are not doing a whole lot (from quote below) or you have no idea (from quote above)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

God you are a gobshíte of the highest order, its blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain and an ability to read that wearing masks reduces transmission. Why don't you go burn some 5G masts or whatever else floats your delusional ideals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Im sure masks are a good idea.

Unfortunately there's a cohort that's too stupid or too unwilling to use them properly (Including touching them, putting them on and off constantly etc).

It's such a simple thing to do but it's not being done right.

So neither of us can be sure, but at the same time you are certain that they are not doing anything to control spread. How is that?

Some man for the flip flopping..which is it? you are certain they are not doing a whole lot (from quote below) or you have no idea (from quote above)?

Thousands and thousands of cases around anyway since mandatory mask wearing was enforced.

I’d say then that masks are certainly not doing a whole lot to stop the spread.

Inquitus wrote: »
    God you are a gobshíte of the highest order, its blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain and an ability to read that wearing masks reduces transmission. Why don't you go burn some 5G masts or whatever else floats your delusional ideals.

Thanks

How is it obvious ? Because you were told that ?

Less of the insults too. People are entitled to their own opinions and if you don’t like that it doesn’t give you an authority to insult others while hiding behind your keyboard.

Lots of brave lads on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Why do you think 5G is related to masks? :D:pac:

• Advertisement

Thousands and thousands of cases around anyway since mandatory mask wearing was enforced.

I’d say then that masks are certainly not doing a whole lot to stop the spread.

How does your theory about mask becoming mandatory fit with countries that have been wearing masks as fairly normal for years such as Japan?

How does this theory fit with different countries implementing mask requirements at different times, but rises in cases happened about the same time throughout Europe?

Show us the evidence that masks being made a requirement were the cause of a cluster of cases among supermarket workers in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

timeToLive wrote: »
    Why do you think 5G is related to masks? :D:pac:

It's as related as the fact Soros is microchipping us with Bill Gates help from the vaccination, there's a well of crazy there that these eijets like to lap up! :pac:

How does your theory about mask becoming mandatory fit with countries that have been wearing masks as fairly normal for years such as Japan?

How does this theory fit with different countries implementing mask requirements at different times, but rises in cases happened about the same time throughout Europe?

Show us the evidence that masks being made a requirement were the cause of a cluster of cases among supermarket workers in Ireland?

Nobody said mask caused cluster outbreaks in supermarkets.

I said the first report of any supermarket outbreak was the week of 10 August 2020 when mandatory mask wearing was implemented.

You twisted that around to suit yourself.

Have we not had thousands and thousands of cases since last August?

Yep I think we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

So then, why did Irish people start wearing face masks in July but not March ?

I said the first report of any supermarket outbreak was the week of 10 August 2020 when mandatory mask wearing was implemented.

Yep I think we have.

So what are you telling us about a supermarket outbreak and mandatory mask rules being around the same time for then? What exactly is your point by mentioning these two things?

In this one post you have claimed that you were not associating the two things... And then proceeded to attempt to link the two things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So what are you telling us about a supermarket outbreak and mandatory mask rules being around the same time for then? What exactly is your point by mentioning these two things?
    In this one post you have claimed that you were not associating the two things... And then proceeded to attempt to link the two things.

Textbook stuff... conspiracy theory dog-whistling, see posts with vague references to sheep and wolves, backtracks when challenged. Repeat.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You need to do some reading up on how the lack of pirates is the cause of global warming before you post your next bit of evidence to support your case against masks:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaandersen/2012/03/23/true-fact-the-lack-of-pirates-is-causing-global-warming/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I am saying they reduce the risk of transmission as per the scientific evidence. Along with the other guidance of distancing and hand hygeine.
    What would that estimated percentage decrease in transmission be? As per the scientific evidence.

Based on a certain level of mask wearing compliance of course but you can pick one that suits, I think as long as we know the figures involved it should still be relevant.
    God you are a gobshíte of the highest order, its blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain and an ability to read that wearing masks reduces transmission.

How much does it reduce transmission? What percentage would you estimate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yep I think we have.

There’s no getting through to them. On the first thread people were creaming themselves over Czechia, they were living proof of how masks stopped transmission. Strangely they don’t mention Czechia any more.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Scoondal wrote: »
    So then, why did Irish people start wearing face masks in July but not March ?

A lot of Dublin bus drivers don't wear masks or socially distance but roar and shout and put people off who don't wear masks or have their masks under their chin or close the windows to keep the wind and rain out or else don't enforce it at all.
    Same goes for Irish rail employees.
    A total joke.
    Do people commuting to work religiously wearing masks and handwashing etc not put 2 and 2 together?

Advertisement