Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There’s no getting through to them. On the first thread people were creaming themselves over Czechia, they were living proof of how masks stopped transmission. Strangely they don’t mention Czechia any more.

So the place which did have early on mask mandates and low cases, which then released restrictions widely, and then was a bit slower at bringing the restrictions back in and had cases rise is proof of what exactly regarding the usefulness of masks?

It certainly doesn't prove that masks are useless if that is what you are claiming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A lot of Dublin bus drivers don't wear masks or socially distance but roar and shout and put people off who don't wear masks or have their masks under their chin or close the windows to keep the wind and rain out or else don't enforce it at all.
    Same goes for Irish rail employees.
    A total joke.
    Do people commuting to work religiously wearing masks and handwashing etc not put 2 and 2 together?

I belive the bus drivers are behind a perspex screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

There’s no getting through to them. On the first thread people were creaming themselves over Czechia, they were living proof of how masks stopped transmission. Strangely they don’t mention Czechia any more.

I think that was around the same time you were telling us about how you would be lieing about having a mental illness, and how you had this imaginary doctor friend that would give you a a non-existent fake note for the bus driver. Strangely you have not mentioned that in a while.

How's that going for you? do the bus drivers pretend to read your imaginary note?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Scoondal wrote: »
    Why does the HSE not advise people to boost their immune system ?

The first line of defence against covid19 for an individual is a strong immune system. I have never heard public health announcements about the need to strengthen our immune systems. All the advice is about staying home, no social contact and face masks. I have not heard any advice about making us more covid19 proof.
    Why ?
    They do.
    The HSE website has info on it and there was a detailed press release.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/can-your-diet-prevent-covid-19-.html

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1145546/

Big focus on vitamin D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thousands and thousands of cases around anyway since mandatory mask wearing was enforced.

I’d say then that masks are certainly not doing a whole lot to stop the spread.

Seatbelts clearly don't work either, because a lot of people are still dying in car crashes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

gmisk wrote: »
    They do.
    The HSE website has info on it and there was a detailed press release.
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/media/pressrel/can-your-diet-prevent-covid-19-.html

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1145546/

Big focus on vitamin D

Articles from 7 May and 4 June 2020.
    Surely making your immune system stronger is good health advice.
    HSE and NPHET should promote a strong immune system as the first health advice.
    Why has this good advice been ignored ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Thousands and thousands of cases around anyway since mandatory mask wearing was enforced.

I’d say then that masks are certainly not doing a whole lot to stop the spread.

And where did most of cases arise? In homes/ social.situatons where people weren't wearing masks.
    But just gloss over that bit.

Articles from 7 May and 4 June 2020.
    Surely making your immune system stronger is good health advice.
    HSE and NPHET should promote a strong immune system as the first health advice.
    Why has this good advice been ignored ?
    They do...it hasn't been ignored.
    Surely Irish people have some bit of common sense.
    https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/
    Section here "eating well" links into a huge section on nutrition.

Does the HSE need to tell eveyone how to wipe their ass properly as well?!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

They do...it hasn't been ignored.
    Surely Irish people have some bit of common sense.

Does the HSE need to tell them how to wipe their ass properly as well?!

No, The public health advice is to stay home, wear a mask in indoor public areas and wash your hands.
    There is nothing about taking vitamin supplements and engaging in hard exercise to strengthen the body's immune system.
    Your body's immune system is your first and most important line of defence against covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

No, The public health advice is to stay home, wear a mask in indoor public areas and wash your hands.
    There is nothing about taking vitamin supplements and engaging in hard exercise to strengthen the body's immune system.
    Your body's immune system is your first and most important line of defence against covid19.

Fëck, did you let WHO know this? Going out for a set of hill sprints will stop you getting the virus, big pharma must be suppressing this, again.

• Advertisement

https://www2.hse.ie/coronavirus/
    "Exercise" and "Eating well" is literally on that page.
    The main page.

Your best line of defence is to not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Bavaria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in shops and on public transport.

Citing fears about the spread of new strains of COVID-19, the state of Bavaria will tighten mask restrictions from next week onwards.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/bavaria-makes-ffp2-masks-compulsory-shops-and-public-transport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Seanergy wrote: »
    Bavaria makes FFP2 masks compulsory in shops and on public transport.

Citing fears about the spread of new strains of COVID-19, the state of Bavaria will tighten mask restrictions from next week onwards.

https://www.iamexpat.de/expat-info/german-expat-news/bavaria-makes-ffp2-masks-compulsory-shops-and-public-transport

I guess Ireland is still going with the distancing advice. But we'll see other European countries follow Bavaria and maybe we might get our shït together and acknowledge airborne spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,977 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Wales:
    New laws for shoppers and staff are to be introduced after "significant evidence" coronavirus is being spread in supermarkets, the first minister has said... Speaking at the Welsh Government's Covid briefing on Friday, Mr Drakeford said the Test, Trace, Protect scheme had shown there was "no doubt at all" transmission was taking place in supermarkets.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-55667624

While the article mentions concerns about shoppers not wearing masks, the new laws relate to capacity limits, provision of sanitiser and one way systems.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I guess Ireland is still going with the distancing advice. But we'll see other European countries follow Bavaria and maybe we might get our shït together and acknowledge airborne spread.

Not too many European countires though because you need supply for that to happen, Merkel copped on in the first week of April that being reliant on airbridged masks was a no no.

“The pandemic teaches us that it is not good if protective equipment is sourced exclusively from distant countries,” Ms. Merkel told Parliament. “Masks that cost a few cents can become a strategic factor in a pandemic.”

Germany ramped up 95/F2 production massively and quick smart after that, we imported one surgical mask making machine in late May.

Good article about it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/business/coffee-filter-mask-melitta.html

We will not acknowledge airborne spread until the WHO announces, which unless they get nervy about all the new variants ain't going to happen because simply put WHO do not trust the developed world population not to hoard all the 95/F2 masks away from HCW's in developing/underdeveloped countires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

It crazy to think that a year on we haven't been able to ramp up ffp3 production.

Blame for some secondary outbreaks being placed on staff mask habits.

Pure blame deflection, I'm nearly ready to go nuclear.

https://twitter.com/PublicHealthMW/status/1350084767895724037

It crazy to think that a year on we haven't been able to ramp up ffp3 production.

Maddening, isn't it. HSE got exclusive control of Irema's FFP2 line for months and that met their qouta, simple as, HSE did not aim to future proof it/increase the catchment area to include HCWs dressed in surgical/droplet masks. They were content just to import one surgical mask making machine to cover that. The HSE are primarily a hand washing machine, they got pushed into adating masks, they ain't happy about that.

HSE have 3 months of 95/F2 stockpile. They could choose to use it all over the next 4 week and protect all their HCWs but instead they choose to just protect some of their HCWs over a longer period.

5019 healthcare workers infected since Christmas.

One in five cases are attributed to close contact with a known case.

That leaves 4/5 unknown/airborne.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/nphet-reports-28-more-deaths-and-3-955-new-covid-19-cases-1.4458433

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Hate to disappoint you but Bavaria has nothin but their sh1t together.

What they do have is a mouthy right go-getter impressionist for a Ministerpraesident. Who sniffs an opportunity to position himself for elections later this year.

But despite being presided over by this right go-getter for almost the entirety of 2020 they had the worst covid numbers in Germany. Accompanied by the strictest and most random restrictions. This is just the latest episode. All noise and bling, managing covid not so much.

• Advertisement

Woman, 20s, charged over assault after dispute on mask wearing https://jrnl.ie/5327580

Hopefully person in shop isn't badly injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Woman, 20s, charged over assault after dispute on mask wearing https://jrnl.ie/5327580

Hopefully person in shop isn't badly injured.

Crazy. Apparently she hit the staff member with a hammer :eek:
    Shop workers don’t get paid enough for all they’ve had to do and put up with during this pandemic.

I see the odd person in a shop not wearing a mask. I’m always surprised how brazen they are, walking around like they own the place. It’s frustrating to see but thankfully they are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Woman, 20s, charged over assault after dispute on mask wearing
    https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-charged-assault-mask-wearing-5327580-Jan2021/

lesson learned: mind your own business.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Woman, 20s, charged over assault after dispute on mask wearing
    https://www.thejournal.ie/woman-charged-assault-mask-wearing-5327580-Jan2021/

lesson learned: mind your own business.

Mod:

Appalling attitude to have. Don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Mod: Banned

Crazy. Apparently she hit the staff member with a hammer :eek:
    Shop workers don’t get paid enough for all they’ve had to do and put up with during this pandemic.

I see the odd person in a shop not wearing a mask. I’m always surprised how brazen they are, walking around like they own the place. It’s frustrating to see but thankfully they are in the minority.

Hitting a staff member for being asked to put on a mask? I mean do people not realize why you have to wear a mask? But leave and come back to beat a staff member, god I hope she gets time for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Was just in a Spar shop this evening in North Dublin, noticed 3 lads not wearing a mask inside the shop just chatting at a seated area which had reserved, cordon tape around it.

I said it to the girl on the till, she was young and I think to afraid to challenge them.

So i said it to them, one of them smirked, I have a medical condition and takes out an Asthma inhaler out of his pocket, I then said what about you two.

Reply was , Why dont you fcuk off and mind your own business.

Two of them looked like Roma gypsies and the other was Irish in tracksuit with both his hands down his tracksuit bottoms, maybe holding his balls.

Dude with the inhaler says why dont you call the Guards.

Cheeky fcukers, but you can see these vermin dont respect anyone.

One of them followed me outside the shop and lit up a cigarette.

I think shop staff are clearly afraid and intimated by the likes of these 3 non wearing mask vermin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

kravmaga wrote: »
    Was just in a Spar shop this evening in North Dublin, noticed 3 lads not wearing a mask inside the shop just chatting at a seated area which had reserved, cordon tape around it.

I said it to the girl on the till, she was young and I think to afraid to challenge them.

So i said it to them, one of them smirked, I have a medical condition and takes out an Asthma inhaler out of his pocket, I then said what about you two.

Two of them looked like Roma gypsies and the other was Irish in tracksuit with both his hands down his tracksuit bottoms, maybe holding his balls.

I think shop staff are clearly afraid and intimated by the likes of these 3 non wearing mask vermin.

Why didn't you use your krav maga? Whether you like it or not, people are becoming more and more fed up with being locked down while the rest of the world is getting on with life.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Why didn't you use your krav maga? Whether you like it or not, people are becoming more and more fed up with being locked down while the rest of the world is getting on with life.

Yeah we're getting fed up, but we can still wear masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

kravmaga wrote: »

You should have rang the Garda. People need to see this enforced or it will happen more and more unfortunatly.
    As for your who hit a shop attendant with a hammer. I hope she gets 3 years at least. That would put manners on her and make others afraid to do it hopefully.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement