Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭kravmaga

AMKC wrote: »
    As for your who hit a shop attendant with a hammer. I hope she gets 3 years at least. That would put manners on her and make others afraid to do it hopefully.

Another poster put that link up, not me , dont know about that incident

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

GazzaL wrote: »
    Why didn't you use your krav maga? Whether you like it or not, people are becoming more and more fed up with being locked down while the rest of the world is getting on with life.

I don't think having both hands down your tracksuit cupping your balls whilst in Spar can be considered getting on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

This is what’s completely wrong with masks and the categorising of somebody who doesn’t wear a mask as some sort of lower human

Mask should be a choice and not a means to judge people.

If you want to wear a mask wear it but don’t judge others.

The pro mask high and mighty brigade will be along to proclaim the end of society if you don’t wear a mask or face covering and that your selfish and yada yada yada etc.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    Couldn’t have said it better myself.

You might not have noticed but a few thing have changed since that post of last September.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Seanergy wrote: »
    I don't think having both hands down your tracksuit cupping your balls whilst in Spar can be considered getting on with life.

If you happen to be a useless waste of space scrote I suppose it does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

GazzaL wrote: »
    Why didn't you use your krav maga? Whether you like it or not, people are becoming more and more fed up with being locked down while the rest of the world is getting on with life.

Where in the world is getting on with life as if there is no covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

In a TV interview yesterday, a man said that given that masks are contributing so much in preventing the spreading of the virus and other diseases, his opinion was that it wouldn't be a bad idea if masks got an everyday habit even after the pandemic.
    Scary, in my point of view!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

In a TV interview yesterday, a man said that given that masks are contributing so much in preventing the spreading of the virus and other diseases, his opinion was that it wouldn't be a bad idea if masks got an everyday habit even after the pandemic.

In the future when someone has a cold and gets on the bus... Maybe they will wear a mask to help stop the spread of their cold.
    What is scary about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

EyesClosed wrote: »
    In the future when someone has a cold and gets on the bus... Maybe they will wear a mask to help stop the spread of their cold.
    What is scary about that?

It is scary because there will always be a reason to wear a mask, when I would like to see a world free of these pieces of fabric on people's mouth.
    Just like it was before this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It is scary because there will always be a reason to wear a mask

You scare too easily.

As much as the fear mongers would like to convince you masks might be permanent, there's approximately zero chance of that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

It is scary because there will always be a reason to wear a mask, when I would like to see a world free of these pieces of fabric on people's mouth.
    Just like it was before this.

Well nobody is saying it will be forced on anyone. If you don't wanna wear when when sick on the bus in the future don't. But some people will, cause it makes sense.

I think your fear is more paranoia than anything else. As wearing a mask does help stop the spread, and helps with the common cold as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats clearly the dream life for Gazza :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sounds perfectly reasonable.

If you have a cold then put a mask on when getting the bus to work. If you suffer from hay-fever put a mask on during the pollen season and make your day soooo much better.

Otherwise, don't wear a mask unless you feel like it. For the next few months though we're just asking everyone to put up with a very minor inconvenience of wearing a mask in public to stop the spread of covid. It will be gone sooner that way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Couples will meet virtually and choose artificial insemination.

We must do whatever Dr Baldy says no matter if it destroys the economy our business our jobsour relationships.

I also think mothers should stay 2m away from their children. If the children die of starvation or get eaten by dogs at least the transmission of covid will be avoided.

Couples will meet virtually and choose artificial insemination.

I would wager that quite a few couples would be happy enough to do that if they could.

Article on anxiety transporters, as expected, mental.

Rows over face masks and Covid-19 'deniers' feature in complaints to taxi regulator.

The chief executive of Lynk Ireland has said that complaints over mask wearing are a “two-way street”.

LINK

A COUPLE “EXPLODED” and spat at a taxi driver and kicked his car in Dublin city centre after he requested that they wear a mask in his cab.

He stated: “The driver said to them ‘listen, I live with my elderly mother and without a mask, I can’t take the risk’. They started kicking his car and spitting at him and calling him all sorts of names.”

In one complaint, one passenger told the NTA that a driver “refused to wear a face mask. He spent the entire trip claiming the Coronavirus does not exist”.

Another passenger complained: “The taxi driver had a dry cough and was continuously coughing for the duration of the journey. I opened the window in the back and I was wearing my mask.”

Concerning the complaint where the taxi driver stated that the pandemic does not exist, the passenger complained: “The car did not have a screen and driver was not wearing a mask, so I opened the window to have some ventilation.

“Driver insistently tried to get me to close the window and said that he was cold and that the pandemic did not exist.”

Article on anxiety transporters, as expected, mental.

Rows over face masks and Covid-19 'deniers' feature in complaints to taxi regulator.

The chief executive of Lynk Ireland has said that complaints over mask wearing are a “two-way street”.

LINK

A COUPLE “EXPLODED” and spat at a taxi driver and kicked his car in Dublin city centre after he requested that they wear a mask in his cab.

He stated: “The driver said to them ‘listen, I live with my elderly mother and without a mask, I can’t take the risk’. They started kicking his car and spitting at him and calling him all sorts of names.”

In one complaint, one passenger told the NTA that a driver “refused to wear a face mask. He spent the entire trip claiming the Coronavirus does not exist”.

Another passenger complained: “The taxi driver had a dry cough and was continuously coughing for the duration of the journey. I opened the window in the back and I was wearing my mask.”

Concerning the complaint where the taxi driver stated that the pandemic does not exist, the passenger complained: “The car did not have a screen and driver was not wearing a mask, so I opened the window to have some ventilation.

“Driver insistently tried to get me to close the window and said that he was cold and that the pandemic did not exist.”

He should have been reported and his taxi licence taken away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Following the news that Germany are set to mandate FFP2 masks specifically; are there any differences between them and KN95 ones?

N95-FFP2-Face-Mask-to-EN149-694x500.png

Here for example they are called the same thing https://www.huntoffice.ie/disposable-masks.html~particulate_filter=ffp2-high_protection

I have a well researched KN95 one already and just wondering if it needs an upgrade

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Graham wrote: »
    You scare too easily.

As much as the fear mongers would like to convince you masks might be permanent, there's approximately zero chance of that happening.

How is there zero chance of that happening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

Crowd of Young fellas got on the Lewis today with no masks on them.

No security to challenge them untill a further three stops where a security guard got on and told them to put on masks. They were sniggering and jeering him so I went up and told that to put on a mask or get off, simple as. They got off the train and then shouted expletives once the door closed.

I don't usually put myself into situations like that as you'd be liable to get stabbed these days. There needs to be more security on the Lewis imo not just one popping his head in every few stops or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Simple explanation of standards here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFP_standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Simple explanation of standards here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFP_standards

Thanks
    Almost identical tests (but different markings) are used in Australia, New Zealand, Korea and Brazil. Similar standards are used in the United States, China and Japan.

For example, EN 149 FFP2 masks have similar performance requirements to N95 masks in the United States and KN95 filters of China, and EN 149 FFP3 masks have similar performance requirements to N99 masks in the United States.

However EN 149 test requirements differ somewhat from the U.S./Chinese/Japanese standards: EN 149 requires an additional paraffin-oil aerosol test and it tests at a range of different flow rates and defines several associated and permissible pressure drop levels.[3][4]

So the long and short of it is they're pretty much the same except the FFP2 has different test requirements compared to a KN95

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks

So the long and short of it is they're pretty much the same except the FFP2 has different test requirements compared to a KN95

That's my understanding too. I didn't read up much about specific test requirements for ffp2 and kn95, but can imagine it will be almost the same. Was just always making sure buying from some trustable source, to be sure they are up to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Graham wrote: »
    You might not have noticed but a few thing have changed since that post of last September.

Thank you so much for the update mr ham
    Best of luck surviving this deadly virus

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Following the news that Germany are set to mandate FFP2 masks specifically; are there any differences between them and KN95 ones?

1% safety wise and different flow rates according to the pro's @ www.n95decon.org

As xhomelezz said, buy from trustable source/standards.

Other thing is fit. Before Covid-19 HCWs could try 3-7 different brands just to get the best fit for their face, now it's a one size fits all delivery. Good info on preforming fit on site also, incl care instructions.

Persoanlly I would favour a 94% with a perfect fit to a 95% with a medicore fit.

Pulled from their website BLW:

• N95 (United States NIOSH-42CFR84)
    • FFP2 (Europe EN 149-2001)
    • KN95 (China GB2626-2006)
    • P2 (Australia/New Zealand AS/NZA 1716:2012) • Korea 1st class (Korea KMOEL - 2017-64)
    • DS (Japan JMHLW-Notification 214, 2018)

One notable comparison point is the flow rates specified by these standards for the inhalation and exhalation resistance tests.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-18-at-23.47.32.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

1% safety wise and different flow rates according to the pro's @ www.n95decon.org

As xhomelezz said, buy from trustable source/standards.

Other thing is fit. Before Covid-19 HCWs could try 3-7 different brands just to get the best fit for their face, now it's a one size fits all delivery. Good info on preforming fit on site also, incl care instructions.

Persoanlly I would favour a 94% with a perfect fit to a 95% with a medicore fit.

Pulled from their website BLW:

• N95 (United States NIOSH-42CFR84)
    • FFP2 (Europe EN 149-2001)
    • KN95 (China GB2626-2006)
    • P2 (Australia/New Zealand AS/NZA 1716:2012) • Korea 1st class (Korea KMOEL - 2017-64)
    • DS (Japan JMHLW-Notification 214, 2018)

One notable comparison point is the flow rates specified by these standards for the inhalation and exhalation resistance tests.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-18-at-23.47.32.png

Getting the proper fit is very difficult. You really need 2 straps, one around the head, and the other around the neck, and then you have to carry out a seal test. Kn94s with the ear loops dont really seal properly in my experience.

Getting the proper fit is very difficult. You really need 2 straps, one around the head, and the other around the neck, and then you have to carry out a seal test. Kn94s with the ear loops dont really seal properly in my experience.

Yes it is. Many 95s failed tests this year(in other countries) exactly because of that, ear loops, whilst some 94s have the double strap, mixed bag. Seals and fits have very much been unspoken about.

Currently our general population are very much wearing masks to a droplet standard. People buy masks based on fabric/brand/advertising not on fit.
    Zero attempt at seal/fit testing instruction from HSE. Not attempting to dress all of the general population in perfectly sealed masks, just for the sake of improving fractions. Mask education, actually any education as to why to do anything has been lacking from HSE.

Personally I don't think Germany should be dressing vast amounts of the population in F2 masks. I really like the French pandemic model from the 90's, dress HCW's in F2/F3/95 to protect, dress entourage in surgical to protect HCW's and finally dress general population in cloth masks as a precaution.

The reason the WHO have not announced airborne is not because of a lack of science(act fast not perfect) it is because they do not trust the population of developed countries not to hoard 95/F2 grade masks and other PPE. Just as the WHO is demonstrating with vax grab, they cannot control flow of materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,428 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Crowd of Young fellas got on the Lewis today with no masks on them.

No security to challenge them untill a further three stops where a security guard got on and told them to put on masks. They were sniggering and jeering him so I went up and told that to put on a mask or get off, simple as. They got off the train and then shouted expletives once the door closed.

I don't usually put myself into situations like that as you'd be liable to get stabbed these days. There needs to be more security on the Lewis imo not just one popping his head in every few stops or so.

Didn't you say in another thread that you had covid? What were you doing on the Luas?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Lancet report on a study in the US regarding masks and viral spread.

The widespread reported use of face masks combined with physical distancing increases the odds of SARS-CoV-2 transmission control.

So as expected wearing a mask is another positive factor in reducing transmission along with distancing and hand hygiene.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

High-tech face masks to watch in 2021

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/the-best-face-masks-of-ces-2021

Airpop active+ looks very promising to me, should be available from February.

Advertisement