Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wibbs wrote: »
    Lancet report on a study in the US regarding masks and viral spread.

The widespread reported use of face masks combined with physical distancing increases the odds of SARS-CoV-2 transmission control.

So as expected wearing a mask is another positive factor in reducing transmission along with distancing and hand hygiene.

And what a strong statement it is, too. Just missing a 'may' or a 'can' there and it'd be like all the others.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    High-tech face masks to watch in 2021

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/the-best-face-masks-of-ces-2021

Airpop active+ looks very promising to me, should be available from February.

Me personally - to be on the safe side - I'd recommend this model. :D

darth-vader.jpg

SCNR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Sconsey

And what a strong statement it is, too. Just missing a 'may' or a 'can' there and it'd be like all the others.

Weak.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Weak.

Maybe.

Anyway. Can someone explain to me how FFP2 and whatnot type of masks are a thing now?

Clearly these are for protecting oneself. But you can get it through your eyes, too, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Me personally - to be on the safe side - I'd recommend this model. :D

darth-vader.jpg

SCNR

Whatever you like. Actually surprised you would go full spastic with that model, cuz masks don't work in your universe.

Whatever you like. Actually surprised you would go full spastic with that model, cuz masks don't work in your universe.

Sorry yes it was bit silly.

Maybe.

Anyway. Can someone explain to me how FFP2 and whatnot type of masks are a thing now?

Clearly these are for protecting oneself. But you can get it through your eyes, too, right?

Doubt you are interested to be honest. If you are, Google, or this thread would give you plenty of resources to read. FFP2 or whatnot types are not so new thing. I don't know if I'm right, but as far as I remember you work from home?

Doubt you are interested to be honest. If you are, Google, or this thread would give you plenty of resources to read. FFP2 or whatnot types are not so new thing. I don't know if I'm right, but as far as I remember you work from home?

Yes I work from home.

I am interested in so far as the eyes thing appears to be a gap.

Simply put, HSE were not prepared with FFP2 stock because their pandemic planning was based on assumptions, otherwise they could easily have been a thing all along.

Instead of starting at a conventional capacity and moving through to a contingency capacity, the HSE went into a crisis capacity from the very start with regard to FFP2 masks.

In Crisis mode, the FFP2 mask became a protected commodity, lies were spun about effectiveness, so on and so forth, well documented in MASK1 thread, FFP2 becoming a thing now in other countries because other countries have made an effort to ramp up home production.

The seed was planted with poor HSE advice and planning. Here is a SCRNSHT from HSE 2009 pandemic publication(the closest thing we have to a pandemic playbook)

hse-10-1-e1611080537844.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,946 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yes I work from home.

Its a bit unclear re: eyes... seems theoretically possible but whether it actually gets from eyes into respiratory system to infect you hasnt been established.
    Deserves its own thread to see... if the eyes have it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yes I work from home.

Well there are gaps everywhere as we can see since this shīt started.

If your point is to discredit masks, it's fine, keep trying. I don't really care at this point. There's plenty of information to prove you wrong.

I have to work all the time on site, no choice, unless I go unemployed. I'm not really keen to get infected, so I do wear mask, while keeping SD, hygiene etc. So far I think it works.

But you can get it through your eyes, too, right?
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Its a bit unclear re: eyes... seems theoretically possible but whether it actually gets from eyes into respiratory system to infect you hasnt been established.
    Deserves its own thread to see... if the eyes have it.

Indeed, it has not been established but that did not stop Luke O'Neil saying what he said in February.

I read CalamariFritti's note as a reference to Luke O'Neil's attempt to double down on why not to hoard FFP2 mask supplies/wear a mask.

Ryan Tubs asks: Are face masks worth a damn?

Luke O'Neils response:

They are if you are infected. The number one advice, to stop you coughing, I could cough on you couldn’t I, face masks will trap the virus in the face mask. If you are not infected no reason to wear a face mask.

Two reasons, one, people fidget with it anyway and secondly it goes in through the eyes swell, it’s an evil virus, it will penetrate the eyes, and that’s not covered anyway so there is no evidence that wearing a facemask will protect you at all.

Well there are gaps everywhere as we can see since this shīt started.

If your point is to discredit masks, it's fine, keep trying. I don't really care at this point. There's plenty of information to prove you wrong.

I have to work all the time on site, no choice, unless I go unemployed. I'm not really keen to get infected, so I do wear mask, while keeping SD, hygiene etc. So far I think it works.

Well you're honest.

Yes I am trying to discredit masks to use your words. I dont think of it that way myself obviously.

But I never said masks have no place anywhere. 'On-site' covers a lot, in your situation they may well make difference.
    Only thing I'm saying is that I dont think they have anything more than a negligible effect on the overall situation.

It wasn't just Luke O'Neill. It was (and is?) standard health advice. Can enter through mouse nose or eyes.

lol mouth even

• Registered Users Posts: 23,633 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It wasn't just Luke O'Neill. It was (and is?) standard health advice. Can enter through mouse nose or eyes.

Probably not the craziest thing you've said here.

Germans will be obliged to wear medical-grade masks in shops and on public transport until Valentine’s Day under tighter lockdown measures.

That's a tonne load of FFP2's.

Biden starts his 100 days of masking tomorrow.

Article is behind a paywall and I'm fed up giving the times.uk cash.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germans-are-told-to-wear-better-masks-hjmq8820c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Seanergy wrote: »
    Germans will be obliged to wear medical-grade masks in shops and on public transport until Valentine’s Day under tighter lockdown measures.

That's a tonne load of FFP2's.

Biden starts his 100 days of masking tomorrow.

Article is behind a paywall and I'm fed up giving the times.uk cash.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/germans-are-told-to-wear-better-masks-hjmq8820c

And ourselves with the plastic visors.

And ourselves with the plastic visors.

We import the plastic visors also, they are not produced here.

It was not just Germany, Canada was another country that realised in April that they needed to ramp up home production of 95/F2s and that relying on airbridging was poor practice.

Eternity Medical Equipment was one of the first companies in British Columbia to produce N95-equivalent masks, called ECAN95. The ECAN95 mask has Health Canada approval & CSA certification and they expect NIOSH certification later this month.

Eternity is one of 25 Surrey companies participating in the city-sponsored ‘Surrey Makes PPE’ initiative, which was launched in late April.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/surrey-company-receives-health-canada-approval-for-its-n95-masks-1.5262255

https://eternitymsm.com/about-us/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Was in Aldi on the LMR in Dublin on Friday. Not one staff member wearing a mask or face shield and 4 customers with no masks or face shield. Like they werent even wearing the masks on their chins - they just didnt have them at all, not a bother on them.

Seanergy wrote: »

How can they tell that multi layered fabric masks aren't working? Is it the increase in cases?

We're in deep shït here if other European countries follow. We'll still be going on last year's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

Was in Aldi on the LMR in Dublin on Friday. Not one staff member wearing a mask or face shield and 4 customers with no masks or face shield. Like they werent even wearing the masks on their chins - they just didnt have them at all, not a bother on them.

To be honest I've stopped going to Aldi on the Long Mile Road because of this. For some reason Aldi in Terenure has better compliance of both staff and customers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I hope we dont go the German route with the FFp2 masks 5e per mask in Germany and here they'll gouge the price. IMO not needed on public transport if we keep the windows open and 2m SD, hand hygiene on the buses. IMO face cloth, surgical masks sufficent for the community and leave the FFp2 masks for hospitals, residental care, schools and other work places pending on HS risk assessments.

pottokblue wrote: »
    I hope we dont go the German route with the FFp2 masks 5e per mask in Germany and here they'll gouge the price. IMO not needed on public transport if we keep the windows open and 2m SD on the buses. IMO face cloth, surgical masks sufficent for the community and leave the FFp2 masks for hospitals, residental care, schools and other work places pending on HS risk assessments.

Trust me, we won't be going down that route. If it makes sense, we won't follow and continue on with last year's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I was in Lidl the other evening group of kids beside the trolleys about 9 of them hanging out looked about 12-14 years old (no masks of course) had to ask them to excuse me so I could get a trolley... Then people in the store with no masks (about 8 I counted) or the mask around the chin or off the nose. I was like oh crikey screw this. Security saw these people coming in and said nothing others without mask served no problem. I wont be going at peak times again I just didnt feel comfortable at all. Even a man about 80 wearing a face shield did a big deep spluttering cough near me i was freaked ! :eek:
    Shame that theres a small percentage of people in society have to be so ignorant :mad: Is it ignorance or just sheer stupidity or being a rebel or something? I dont get it at all
    Would security or staff not give even a "gentle reminder" i would be bloody disgusted working in a place where people were coming in all day flouting the guidelines with no masks

pottokblue wrote: »
    I hope we dont go the German route with the FFp2 masks 5e per mask in Germany and here they'll gouge the price. IMO not needed on public transport if we keep the windows open and 2m SD, hand hygiene on the buses. IMO face cloth, surgical masks sufficent for the community and leave the FFp2 masks for hospitals, residental care, schools and other work places pending on HS risk assessments.

There is some form of mask grant in Germany. The media is blowing the German mask upgrade out of proportions, it's mainly in keeping with the WHO's update mask guidance from December.

Only a very slim proportion of Irish HCW's are dressed in anything above a surgical mask. We don't have the budget, supply or level of intelligence/compassion to mask them in anything better.

Doing what Germany is doing is a dangerous game. Supply will come under pressure.

I was in Lidl the other evening group of kids beside the trolleys about 9 of them hanging out looked about 12-14 years old (no masks of course) had to ask them to excuse me so I could get a trolley... Then people in the store with no masks (about 8 I counted) or the mask around the chin or off the nose. I was like oh crikey screw this. Security saw these people coming in and said nothing others without mask served no problem. I wont be going at peak times again I just didnt feel comfortable at all. Even a man about 80 wearing a face shield did a big deep spluttering cough near me i was freaked ! :eek:
    Shame that theres a small percentage of people in society have to be so ignorant :mad: Is it ignorance or just sheer stupidity or being a rebel or something? I dont get it at all
    Would security or staff not give even a "gentle reminder" i would be bloody disgusted working in a place where people were coming in all day flouting the guidelines with no masks

Ignorance on the part of children, sellfishness for the rest.

THE NEW YORK TIMES: Is Mask-Slipping the New Manspreading?

Something about some men just makes it difficult to keep that mask where it should be.

Good article in that it builds up conversation around sloppy masks, obviously inspired by the inauguration and Biden's 100 days of masking. Side note, but worth notign here, Biden's first bill was a mask mandate.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-21-at-16.20.10.png

The comments are certainly more scientific than the article, but the article prompted them.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-21-at-16.27.04.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/20/well/mind/masks-men-manspreading.html

• Advertisement

Advertisement