Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Whitestrand area flood?

Options
  • 09-09-2020 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Is this an area where the houses get affected by flooding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

RANIA wrote: »

You can check here:

http://www.floodinfo.ie/map/floodmaps/

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

Thanks
    Just wondering if people who live there have had water damage to their homes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

I lived in the area for a few years and it didn't flood. But with rising sea levels and more extreme weather events I wouldn't rely on that for future flood risk, especially if you're looking to buy for long-term.

Edit: Actually you can add layers on that flood maps site to see likely future flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

RANIA wrote: »

Not yet.
    Are you thinking of buying or renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Does anyone remember a good few years ago when the field opposite was full of water after a storm, the road down from grattan road was covered in stones and sand don't think the houses got affected but the ones to the front further towards the Claddagh got flooded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a good few years ago when the field opposite was full of water after a storm, the road down from grattan road was covered in stones and sand don't think the houses got affected but the ones to the front further towards the Claddagh got flooded.

Early January 2014! Salthill got a hammering and Leisureland was flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭RANIA

Not yet.
    Are you thinking of buying or renting?

Buying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I looked at buying Whitestrand last year but the fact it was so low lying put me off. Be ok for next 25/30yrs but me kids inheritance.... Lowest point was 10ft and highest 17ft above Sea Level. Lots of City Centre/Salthill is in a similar position though.
    If the Dutch invaded us, would have more confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

You should check our the episode of Grand Designs with the house along the banks of the Thames that rises when the river floods! ;)

Advertisement