Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Covid-19 Recovery No More Cold Sores

Options
  • 09-09-2020 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I was unfortunate enough to get show symptoms of Covid-19 way back in early March. A test proved I had contracted it. Thankfully, I didn't suffer too much and after 10 days of flu-like symptoms, I starting feeling better. It took a couple of months for my energy levels to return to normal.

One thing I have noticed though, is that since contracting Covid I have had no outbreaks of cold sores. I am 50 and have suffered with cold sores since I was a teenager and seldom has a month gone by without one or two out breaks on my lips. Since March, nothing, nada, zilch.

I believe that my immune system went into overdrive on getting infected with Covid and something has changed in my body that now recognizes when a herpes simplex attack is on the way and is able to nip it in the bud. The nuclear membrane of my infected cells can now unmask Type 1 herpes simplex and stimulate the immune system to disintegrate the virus.

While I am delighted the cold sores have disappeared, it makes me wonder in what other ways the virus has altered my immune system. We were always told that there is no cure for cold sores. Now it looks like there is. You just have to suffer through the recovery from a Covid infection in order to get it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

That's gas. I could do with a cure for cold sores myself, have always suffered with them, lips, nostrils and even had one on the outside of my bloody eyelid last week, which was a first.

Still don't want the coronavirus though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

That’s really interesting OP. I’d say it would be good for virologists to know this and see if it’s widespread in people recovering from Covid or just an isolated thing. It might be something for them to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That's gas. I could do with a cure for cold sores myself, have always suffered with them, lips, nostrils and even had one on the outside of my bloody eyelid last week, which was a first.

Still don't want the coronavirus though...

Vicks Vaporub. Haven't had one spring up properly in years. I detect it early on, give it a bit of Vicks and it gets back in its box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I think this can also go the other way as well. Facebook group I'm on and someone was covered in warts. I think this virus reactivates previous viruses you have had, warts are caused by a virus. I've heard of people getting shingles as well not long after getting covid. It's a weird virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

I was unfortunate enough to get show symptoms of Covid-19 way back in early March. A test proved I had contracted it. Thankfully, I didn't suffer too much and after 10 days of flu-like symptoms, I starting feeling better. It took a couple of months for my energy levels to return to normal.

One thing I have noticed though, is that since contracting Covid I have had no outbreaks of cold sores. I am 50 and have suffered with cold sores since I was a teenager and seldom has a month gone by without one or two out breaks on my lips. Since March, nothing, nada, zilch.

I believe that my immune system went into overdrive on getting infected with Covid and something has changed in my body that now recognizes when a herpes simplex attack is on the way and is able to nip it in the bud. The nuclear membrane of my infected cells can now unmask Type 1 herpes simplex and stimulate the immune system to disintegrate the virus.

While I am delighted the cold sores have disappeared, it makes me wonder in what other ways the virus has altered my immune system. We were always told that there is no cure for cold sores. Now it looks like there is. You just have to suffer through the recovery from a Covid infection in order to get it.

Still no coldsore?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Wii776

I'd be interested to hear this too.

No idea if I've had covid or not, but I usually get cold sores about once a month. Had none at all till around june this year, and that was only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

Wii776 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear this too.

No idea if I've had covid or not, but I usually get cold sores about once a month. Had none at all till around june this year, and that was only one.

I wasn't confirmed Covid as it was before testing but I and my Dr strongly suspect it. In fact I should have gone to hospital I was so sick, struggling for air. But I haven't gotten a cold sore since. And I always get them every couple of months. So curious if this is a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There was an interesting case of someone who went into remission for a Lymphoma after getting the virus.
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bjh.17116

Similar to what you were saying, it looks possibly like the immune system just went into overdrive and started killing off everything it didn't like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hmmm wrote: »
    Similar to what you were saying, it looks possibly like the immune system just went into overdrive and started killing off everything it didn't like.
    Jaysus if that happens to me there'll be none of me left. :D

Interesting alright. I have read of rare cases of cancer remission after a bad flu or other infections. IIRC the fever had something to do with it. Funny enough before antibiotics one treatment for syphilis was to infect the patient with malaria as the immune reaction and very high fever often showed positive results, even complete remission.

Covid appears to really rev up the immune system once it recognises the threat and in the cases of the very ill and the fatal cases it's this over revving that can cause the most damage, so in milder cases maybe it clears out some of the other crap while it's at it? Like bouncers in a club overreacting to a fight in one corner by simply throwing every one out.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭larchielads

I wonder would the vaccine have the same effect on the cold sores as theres some of the virus in it. I suffer terribly from cold sores, not once a month but a few times a year. Got em a few times last year , huge feckers on me top lip, only savin grace was the mask was able to hide it when outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just wondering if everyone on here who gets coldsores is aware of L-Lysine? An amino acid shown to help in cold sore attacks.

Not medical advice, just wondering.

With my doctors approval, I take a supplement of L-Lysine because I get horrendous cold sores on my face.
    Lips eyes face and around/basically on my eyes. Have also had them on my hands.

I only take them when I feel one coming on, then whack them into me as it comes up.

It has been a game changer, reduces severity and reduces the duration/healing time.

Ask your doctor/pharmacist maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I used to get a coldsore maybe four times a year. A really bad obvious one on my lip.

I started taking a Lycine supplement daily around 3 years ago and I haven’t had one since.

I buy them in Holland & Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

The reduction in cold sores could be due to the reduction in other viruses. Cold sores usually strike when the immune system is under pressure due to other infections. With even minor colds and viruses wiped out since April peoples immune systems are under far less pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

lucalux wrote: »
    Just wondering if everyone on here who gets coldsores is aware of L-Lysine? An amino acid shown to help in cold sore attacks.

Not medical advice, just wondering.

With my doctors approval, I take a supplement of L-Lysine because I get horrendous cold sores on my face.
    Lips eyes face and around/basically on my eyes. Have also had them on my hands.

I only take them when I feel one coming on, then whack them into me as it comes up.

It has been a game changer, reduces severity and reduces the duration/healing time.

Ask your doctor/pharmacist maybe.

Makes a big difference to me. You can get in Holland and Barrett although the tablets are too big. I discovered it in a pharmacy in France when I asked for Zovirax and they recommended Lysine. Once I feel the cold sore coming I take six a day for 3/4 days and it disappears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

Makes a big difference to me. You can get in Holland and Barrett although the tablets are too big. I discovered it in a pharmacy in France when I asked for Zovirax and they recommended Lysine. Once I feel the cold sore coming I take six a day for 3/4 days and it disappears.

Huge difference and I'm always delighted when I hear pharmacies or doctors actually telling people about it.
    Zovirax has never ever done anything for mine, and I'm dealing with them my whole life constantly.
    Researched it myself and found out about L-Lysine about 8years ago.

The only thing is I don't take them daily, I used to, but I find it's unnecessary for me - unless I'm feeling unwell generally, or in a period of 'more than usual' stress for me.
    Couldn't justify the cost of taking them daily, so once I have them in the house, all I need to do is be aware of the tingle... then I'll take 2000mg three times a day or thereabouts

Advertisement