Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Road Safety Quiz from the U.K.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh, i was getting some of them wrong because i was giving what i expected was the right answer, not necessarily what i thought was the right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Thought this answer was interesting:

Drivers should use their left hand to open their driver door on the right side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

cletus wrote: »
    Thought this answer was interesting:

Drivers should use their left hand to open their driver door on the right side

I think it’s taken from what they teach in the Netherlands....forces you to look out the back of the car before opening the door. Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Very surprised to see "horses" have been moved behind "pedestrians" and "cyclists" in terms of priority, particularly in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Very surprised to see "horses" have been moved behind "pedestrians" and "cyclists" in terms of priority, particularly in the UK

I presume that the thinking there is that, while horses are vulnerable to being frightened by inconsiderate cyclists and peds, physically speaking, the cyclists and peds are more vulnerable to a badly-ridden horse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my wife recently did her module on horse riding on the road, and the advice (from the RSA) is to use the british highway code, not the irish rules of the road, because they're more sensible and they didn't want to go to the trouble of reprinting the ROTR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

my wife recently did her module on horse riding on the road, and the advice (from the RSA) is to use the british highway code, not the irish rules of the road, because they're more sensible and they didn't want to go to the trouble of reprinting the ROTR.

Wow! So motorists are driving round following our Highway Code and vulnerable road users are advised to follow different rules. No wonder it’s so dangerous out there.

i think the difference relates to how to approach a right turn, must ask her to confirm.

Advertisement