Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who want "Foreva Lockdown"

Options

Comments

Arghus wrote: »
    Why is it quite likely that Covid will be around in five years?

To avoid you dodging the question, let’s just assume it is.

Would you still accept restrictions 5 years from now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Graham wrote: »
    We appear to be doing quite well eradicating

Smallpox
    Polio
    Measles
    Rubella
    Polio
    Syphilis
    Rabies

That whole medical science thing you may not have heard of.

Leprosy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

khalessi wrote: »
    Leprosy

Can't be true according to Risteard81.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Arghus wrote: »
    Oh, I'm sure people wouldn't deliberately do that...

No I'm not a liar, deliberately telling lies against anyone.

I genuinely believe everything I'm saying no matter how much you dislike my point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Wise up. Diseases will always exist and will spread. Are we going to switch the world off every time a new disease is discovered? That is a criminally insane suggestion, and those proposing or endorsing it need to be dealt with severely.

Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin, along with Simon Harris and Simon Coveney etc. need to be prosecuted for treason. In my opinion Leo Varadkar is one of the worst people ever to have lived. An utterly despicable excuse for a human being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

To avoid you dodging the question, let’s just assume it is.

Would you still accept restrictions 5 years from now?

Well that's a hard question to answer. It can't just be answered with a simple yes or no.

What's the context? How prevalent is it going to be? Will it be circulating in high or low numbers? What will our level of understanding be of the virus relative to today: will we have better treatments or a better understanding of how it is spread, of how to protect yourself? A better understanding of personal risk - the list of unknown variables goes on and on and on. Will there still be the same level even type of restrictions or will they have changed over time to reflect new developments or knowledge? I don't expect us to be in exactly the same situation regarding knowledge of the disease or even methods to combat it in five years.

I can't just blindly tell you today I'll accept restrictions in five years time, a lot will certainly change in five years and my attitude will be shaped by what happens in that intervening period.

I'd seriously doubt todays levels of restrictions will be necessary in 5 years time, particularly in light of the global efforts in fighting Covid.

growleaves obviously has some special medical knowledge that suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

growleaves wrote: »
    No I'm not a liar, deliberately telling lies against anyone.

I genuinely believe everything I'm saying no matter how much you dislike my point of view.

I'm sure you do. But you are severely biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We appear to be doing quite well eradicating

Smallpox
    Polio
    Measles
    Rubella
    Polio
    Syphilis
    Rabies

That whole medical science thing you may not have heard of.

Eh they are dangerous diseases

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

biko wrote: »
    The much more deadly 1918 pandemic that killed young and old alike only lasted two years before it had mutated into a less deadly form (it's still around today), so going by that and every other virus pandemic - this too shall pass.

It will pass, but how many people will pass because of it before there is a vaccine.... we simply have to remain vigilant. Vigilant.. for the hard of thinking reading this is NOT lockdown forever.

• Advertisement

Eh they are dangerous diseases

They are, fortunately most of them in the process of being eradicated. Completely eradicated in the case of smallpox.

Something some posters have suggested isn't possible because God.

biko wrote: »
    When the Spanish flu first appeared in early March 1918, it had all the hallmarks of a seasonal flu, albeit a highly contagious and virulent strain.

From September through November of 1918, the death rate from the Spanish flu skyrocketed. In the United States alone, 195,000 Americans died from the Spanish flu in just the month of October.

And considering Dublin numbers are now up again since May - maybe maybe it isn't time just yet to get back to normal.

Jeasus its hard read this ****e going to bed after a long day.

In what way is the Spanish flu comparable to a respitory illness thats had a median age of death of 84 in Ireland

They are, fortunately most of them in the process of being eradicated.

Because they were a risk to the general population, not those dying in nursing homes

Because they were a risk to the general population, not those dying in nursing homes

That doesn't appear to have slowed, stunted, prevented or otherwise hindered the amount of resources being dedicated into fighting Covid on an unprecedented global scale.

Have you noticed that nursing homes aren't the main victims of this illness recently, it has moved to the 20-45 population

I'd seriously doubt todays levels of restrictions will be necessary in 5 years time, particularly in light of the global efforts in fighting Covid.

growleaves obviously has some special medical knowledge that suggests otherwise.

They won't for Covid, but for similar respitory illness with similar fatality rates like influenza the restrictions are at risk of continuing perpetually

Have you noticed that nursing homes aren't the main victims of this illness recently, it has moved to the 20-45 population

I hadnt, how many are dead?

They won't for Covid, but for similar respitory illness with similar fatality rates like influenza the restrictions are at risk of continuing perpetually

Source?

You tell me, youve all the answers I'm sure.

By the way the reasons the nursing homes were such an issue was due to staff doubling jobbing in different nursing homes and sharing homes, along with having no ppe.

Source?

Death rate for August vs positive case rate.

• Advertisement

Death rate for August vs positive case rate.

Source suggesting restrictions will continue perpetually?

Well he mentioned influenze, so I presume he referring to the restrictions we were under precovid from the last pandemic:confused::confused:

By the way the reasons the nursing homes were such an issue was due to staff doubling jobbing in different nursing homes and sharing homes along with no ppe.

Im paid to validate equipment in pharmaceutical plants, and ensure no delays are encountered by those project's.

NPHET and HSE are paid to paid to sort out issues like you have stated.

They didn't, the mismanagement they presided over has been covered up and accepted by the general population who belive restrictions of the general population are the only answer.

I won't accept that, and my management wouldn't accept similar off me

Source suggesting they wont?

You seem to aggressively question despite having no answers yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

No, I have knowledge of human beings. If people can't bring themselves to say that they'll refuse to socially distance at some point then there is a chance that linked media and government bureaucracies - not necessarily conspirators, maybe just very foolish and distorted thinkers - will simply maintain a perception of ever-present danger. And as long as you are a conduit for received opinion rather than someone who trusts their own intuition and interpretation then (according to you) its out of your hands. You assume you will get the go-ahead to stop socially distancing within five years but you admit you might not.

Im paid to validate equipment in pharmaceutical plants, and ensure no delays are encountered by those project's.

NPHET and HSE are paid to paid to sort out issues like you have stated.

They didn't, the mismanagement they presided over has been covered up and accepted by the general population who belive restrictions of the general population are the only answer.

I won't accept that, and my management wouldn't accept similar off me

Still doesn't invalidate the causes of the nursing home catastrophe. issues were sorted btw
    Dont see how you being involved in quality control of equipment is relevant but thanks for sharing.

Source suggesting they wont?

You're the one making the claim.

I assumed you'd at least have a modicum of reason behind it.

growleaves wrote: »
    No, I have knowledge of human beings. If people can't bring themselves to say that they'll refuse to socially distance at some point then there is a chance that linked media and government bureaucracies - not necessarily conspirators, maybe just very foolish and distorted thinkers - will simply maintain a perception of ever-present danger. And as long as you are a conduit for received opinion rather than someone who trusts their own intuition and interpretation then (according to you) its out of your hands. You assume you will get the go-ahead to stop socially distancing within five years but you admit you might not.

The fact that masks were worn during the spanish flu of 1918 etc and people kept away from each other and we were not still doing that would indicate they arent forever

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/br/b-cdc/covid-19deathsandcasesseries9/
    The median age of new confirmed COVID-19 cases was 34 years old for the week ending 07 August
    More in the link

• Advertisement

The fact that masks were worn during the spanish flu of 1918 etc and people kept away from each other and we were not still doing that would indicate they arent forever

That would be my thoughts too Khalessi.

That doesn't suit some of the conspiracy theorists though.

Advertisement