Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lamps smart plugs or similar

• 09-09-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    We have an extortionate amount of lamps in our house in fact we rarely use the main ceiling lights. I have a pain in my face turning these on and off. A few years back I got some rf plugs with a remote which is ok but we have more lamps now and I dont know whether to get more rf or go smart plugs.
    What would you guys recommend, we have three google homes which I could use

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    We have an extortionate amount of lamps in our house in fact we rarely use the main ceiling lights. I have a pain in my face turning these on and off. A few years back I got some rf plugs with a remote which is ok but we have more lamps now and I dont know whether to get more rf or go smart plugs.

Look up Teckin plugs on amazon. These are what you need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Redriddick wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Another option might be to look at smart bulbs which would give you more options in regards the light the lamp gives off, can be dimmed or coloured if you like.

Market leader would probably be Philips Hue. These can be expensive if going colour but look out for deals on Amazon and the like. A cheaper alternative would be Ikea Tradfri.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Like alm advises, I like yourself use lamps mainly never use main lights was using smart plugs but had so many they were choking my wifi, Smart plugs are great with the sunset sunrise settings etc but the Hue do that too. Also if your like me you like a soft warm glow from your lights hue do this nicely too. I was using 40 watt bulbs in 5 of my lights now using 8 watt hues. Will upgrade rest of lamps when I have cash and use smart plugs for other things
    If you go smart wifi plugs I recommend TP link using them years and they have not gone down once. Extremly reliable and very user friendly app:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evster

I'm interested in similar. Could you share links to the Hue, ikea and TP you mentioned please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

evster wrote: »
    I'm interested in similar. Could you share links to the Hue, ikea and TP you mentioned please?

For Hue keep an eye on Amazon offers on the starter kits unless you have a hub already or you might be able to pick up a hub cheaply from adverts.ie etc as some users will buy starter kits when on offer and end up with a spare hub or two.

You will be looking at the Tradfri range from Ikea. These bulbs can also pair with the Hue hub although can be a bit problematic for some but are cheaper.

For smart plugs Teckin are another popular brand and can also be picked up on deals on Amazon. Not as bulky as the TP link ones. Some of the smart plugs will have energy monitoring which can be useful if you want to see how much electricity you are using with a view to reducing it.

I do think, if budget allows, the Hue is the system to go for but it can lead to an expensive obsession :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hue are over priced and over rated. Lots of good smart lamps on Amazon

I’ve this in the kids bedroom and it’s great

LE Alexa Smart Bulb Bayonet, App or Voice Control, B22 Colour Changing Light Bulb, Works with Alexa and Google Home, No Hub Required (8.5W = 60W, RGB and White 2700K - 6500K, 2.4GHz WiFi) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L4D27GK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GNjxFb5H6YMH9

Also have yeelight and they are great too but have gone up in price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Jesus, thanks guys for all the suggestions. Might get some of the smart bulbs, also have a pain in my face with 25w, 40w, 60w, small screw, big screw, small bayonet, large bayonet. And I know coming into the winter every good damn time I go for a bulb I wont have the one I need.

Advertisement