Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siro Install Reconfig

• 09-09-2020 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Currently I have SIRO installed with the ONT and Router in the sitting room, I would like to change the installed where the ONT and router would be in the attic so I will need to run Fibre from the attic to the entry point of SIRO (grey box)

Would the original installer do this?

Bascially i want to move all stuff to the attic so can expand my network.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭dam099

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Hi all,

Currently I have SIRO installed with the ONT and Router in the sitting room, I would like to change the installed where the ONT and router would be in the attic so I will need to run Fibre from the attic to the entry point of SIRO (grey box)

Would the original installer do this?

Bascially i want to move all stuff to the attic so can expand my network.

The few reports I've seen on here indicate they seem to be reluctant to do this, but you can always check with your ISP.

An alternative would be to leave the ONT where it is and run Cat6a or 7 from beside the ONT to the attic and move just the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

dam099 wrote: »
    The few reports I've seen on here indicate they seem to be reluctant to do this, but you can always check with your ISP.

An alternative would be to leave the ONT where it is and run Cat6a or 7 from beside the ONT to the attic and move just the router.

My first thought was yes run cat6 but wanted to see if possible to get fibre entry moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

ipodrocker wrote: »
    My first thought was yes run cat6 but wanted to see if possible to get fibre entry moved.

I suspect this is unlikely because they will want their service personnel to have easy access to the termination in case of a fault. An attic does not provide easy and safe access in the majority of cases.

my attic is fully floored guess might be possible, guess all can do is ask my ISP if something possible.

one thought is I can run cable myself from attic to termination point and leave for installer to terminate

do you know type of cable used in these runs?

just a little bump, any idea on fibre cable used for installs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I looked into this for my own home and in the end it was far easier to just run a Cat 6 cable from the attic to the ONT box downstairs. A fibre run to the attic just made things more complicated than they needed to be. Cat 6 cable is far more robust, easier to install, get parts for, and manage than having extra fibre runs. If you plan on expanding your network to other rooms then you are likely going to be using Cat 6 network points in those rooms anyway too.

I looked into this for my own home and in the end it was far easier to just run a Cat 6 cable from the attic to the ONT box downstairs. A fibre run to the attic just made things more complicated than they needed to be. Cat 6 cable is far more robust, easier to install, get parts for, and manage than having extra fibre runs. If you plan on expanding your network to other rooms then you are likely going to be using Cat 6 network points in those rooms anyway too.

main plans is just need cat6 in the sitting room (this is where the ONT currently is). Upstairs will just be wifi with the attic having all my network attached devices.

main reason just to clear all the extra stuff from the sitting room so my thought if can run the fibre to the attic was save hassle, fibre comes in the side of the house.

It sounds exactly like what I was trying to fix too, except my ONT was in the Kitchen. In my case what I did was run 3x Cat 6 Cables from the attic to the Kitchen. I then have a Cat 6 cable running from the ONT directly to a network point which goes up to the attic and connects to the WAN port on the router. I use another network point in the Kitchen for a AP and have one spare - in case I wanted to put in a video doorbell or something like that.

I wanted to run two cables to the sitting room but I didn't have enough room for a second cable so I just stuck a four port hub at the end of the line in the sitting room and used it to connect the IPTV, TV, Firestick and Sky box to it.

So the Fibre from the install goes to the ONT in the kitchen and I have a Cat 6 cable then running to the attic where my router. Now I could expand the network to any other room in the house from the attic, if I needed too.

Running the cables was the hardest part of the whole thing and I while I had planned to run them outside through some ducting, I was able to run them inside in the end. When you run cables I think you have to be mentally prepared that you are going to put a lot of holes in your walls. Once you get over that hurdle it isn't that hard to do it. Fixing the plaster afterwards is straight forward enough too. If you worried about that part then I would get in a contractor to do it for you. Make sure you run at least two cables, if not 3 or 4, to every point in the house as it is easy to do at the start but a pain to do afterwards. I would also make sure that you leave a lot of spare cable on either side of the wall to allow you flexibility in the future. If you can't get an electrician to crimp the cables for you, don't worry about it as it is relatively easy to do.

Running the cables was the hardest part of the whole thing and I while I had planned to run them outside through some ducting, I was able to run them inside in the end. When you run cables I think you have to be mentally prepared that you are going to put a lot of holes in your walls. Once you get over that hurdle it isn't that hard to do it. Fixing the plaster afterwards is straight forward enough too. If you worried about that part then I would get in a contractor to do it for you.

A great tip I came across recently for that is to use a drill hole saw to cut out a disk from the plasterboard. You can then use the disk you cut out when repairing the wall, will still need some filler but it avoids having to pack a hole especially if you are near a stud to mount it against.

Hah, yes! I used that little tip and it works really well. If you need to purchase a hold saw remember it comes in two parts sometimes and to get a big enough one. If you going to drill a hole in the wall make it a big enough one so you have loads to room. I found myself elbow deep searching inside the wall for the right cable :)

• Advertisement

Hah, yes! I used that little tip and it works really well. If you need to purchase a hold saw remember it comes in two parts sometimes and to get a big enough one.

Yep, 2 trips to Screwfix were required :o

It sounds exactly like what I was trying to fix too, except my ONT was in the Kitchen. In my case what I did was run 3x Cat 6 Cables from the attic to the Kitchen. I then have a Cat 6 cable running from the ONT directly to a network point which goes up to the attic and connects to the WAN port on the router. I use another network point in the Kitchen for a AP and have one spare - in case I wanted to put in a video doorbell or something like that.

I wanted to run two cables to the sitting room but I didn't have enough room for a second cable so I just stuck a four port hub at the end of the line in the sitting room and used it to connect the IPTV, TV, Firestick and Sky box to it.

So the Fibre from the install goes to the ONT in the kitchen and I have a Cat 6 cable then running to the attic where my router. Now I could expand the network to any other room in the house from the attic, if I needed too.

Running the cables was the hardest part of the whole thing and I while I had planned to run them outside through some ducting, I was able to run them inside in the end. When you run cables I think you have to be mentally prepared that you are going to put a lot of holes in your walls. Once you get over that hurdle it isn't that hard to do it. Fixing the plaster afterwards is straight forward enough too. If you worried about that part then I would get in a contractor to do it for you. Make sure you run at least two cables, if not 3 or 4, to every point in the house as it is easy to do at the start but a pain to do afterwards. I would also make sure that you leave a lot of spare cable on either side of the wall to allow you flexibility in the future. If you can't get an electrician to crimp the cables for you, don't worry about it as it is relatively easy to do.

Good idea I have two options drill outside to run the cat6 cable or go via the wall and plan a route to go the attic, agree extra runs important too. Cause in my sitting room have XBOX, TV, SKY so either run the cable or put switch there.

Advertisement