Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Bank has the best Mobile App

• 09-09-2020 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

I'm moving on from Bank of Ireland as had high hopes for their new App but its really still just crap.

Which Bank has the best mobile App with Android and Google Pay and can use finger print scanner to login to the app.

Also good functionality unlike Bank of Irelands app.

I'm not too worried about the fees really, happy to pay if the service is good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

inthenip wrote: »
    I'm moving on from Bank of Ireland as had high hopes for their new App but its really still just crap.

Which Bank has the best mobile App with Android and Google Pay and can use finger print scanner to login to the app.

Also good functionality unlike Bank of Irelands app.

I'm not too worried about the fees really, happy to pay if the service is good.

Can't say which is best app overall as I have only had experience of two; Ulster and BOI. The Ulster apps on iPhone and iPad (different apps geared to the different form factors) are light years ahead of the BOI app. Can do pretty much all day to day banking on these. And the finger/face recognition is seamless, as is the Apple Pay integration. The apps have been continuously updated as the technology evolves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Can't say which is best app overall as I have only had experience of two; Ulster and BOI. The Ulster apps on iPhone and iPad (different apps geared to the different form factors) are light years ahead of the BOI app. Can do pretty much all day to day banking on these. And the finger/face recognition is seamless, as is the Apple Pay integration. The apps have been continuously updated as the technology evolves.

Thanks for the response, exactly what I want.

I'll hold out for more replies but that seems excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

https://www.bunq.com/ - Once your happy to pay.

Revolut is fantastic - top it up via EBS FREE Money Manager account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

Does any app let you round up payments and despot excess into another fund/account? Useful feature with revolut.

I use AIB and Ulster Bank mobile apps for personal accounts and find them excellent for mobile payments and are both on par with each other.

If you are looking for a business bank account however STAY AWAY from Ulster Bank. They haven't updated the banking interface in the 10 years I've been with them. A responsive mobile website would be nice never mind an app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

The AIB app has long been of a high standard. You can get a balance without logging in, and it seems well designed. A while back I had a BOI account too when a student, as empty as the AIB acct, and the BOI app was bad. They also closed my account quite quickly and were rude about it when it went negative. Owe a few Euro, you're the problem, owe them millions, they settle for the price of a cheap car, provided you have the connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

An Post are rolling out a new app similar to Revolut's app.
    https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/sunday-independent-ireland/20200913/282617445163715

Hibernicis wrote: »

The BOI one on iPhone is a disgrace. They didn't even bother with a new version like Android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

The BOI one on iPhone is a disgrace. They didn't even bother with a new version like Android.

Your not missing anything, its still a piece of outdated crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

franglan wrote: »
    Does any app let you round up payments and despot excess into another fund/account? Useful feature with revolut.

Bunq have it and pay interest, but there's a monthly charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.S wrote: »
    One of the big thing's that all traditional banks suck at is peer payments without the need for IBANS, card readers etc. It should be via mobile number or payment request links.

Bank of Ireland allow you to transfer money to another BoI account holder using only their phone number. Provided the receiving account has registered to use the service.
    You are registered for the Pay to Mobile Service which allows customers to transfer money to any registered Bank of Ireland account, simply by knowing the mobile number of the account holder. It's a fast and secure way of sending money to family and friends.

coylemj wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland allow you to transfer money to another BoI account holder using only their phone number. Provided the receiving account has registered to use the service.

Not great if you want to send money to the majority of EEA banks.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Not great if you want to send money to the majority of EEA banks.

I was responding to a post which mentioned 'peer payments'.

The BoI facility is pretty similar to a Revolut peer to peer transfer.

I was responding to a post which mentioned 'peer payments'.

The BoI facility is pretty similar to a Revolut peer to peer transfer.

I took it that the post was about having to activate a new payee by post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

kian163 wrote: »
    I use AIB and Ulster Bank mobile apps for personal accounts and find them excellent for mobile payments and are both on par with each other.

If you are looking for a business bank account however STAY AWAY from Ulster Bank. They haven't updated the banking interface in the 10 years I've been with them. A responsive mobile website would be nice never mind an app.

You can add a business account to your anytime banking / personal app if you wish and it will perform just like your personal ones.
    Wouldn’t have some of the business specific features of bank line however.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Donegal1234

Boi app hasn’t been updated for iOS users in 3 years. 3 years is crazy in this day and age.

Boi app hasn’t been updated for iOS users in 3 years. 3 years is crazy in this day and age.

Can't be secure and yet they didn't want to honour customers who were scamned by text message links.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

it's funny how they never seem to advertise that....wonder what take up there is on it.

Weckler says 'is (finally) coming' but the headline says it 'may finally be coming'.

I 'may' win the Lotto tonight :mad:

• Advertisement

Weckler says 'is (finally) coming' but the headline says it 'may finally be coming'.

I 'may' win the Lotto tonight :mad:

Considering he wrote the article it's careless by him.

However the BOI spokesman said
    While we can’t currently confirm the exact date, Apple Pay is coming soon, making it easier for our Apple customers who prefer to pay for transactions using their phone,” a spokesman said in response to questions from Independent.ie today.

Its good news if you trust bankers.

Btw Curve was mentioned . How safe is it to link all your accounts to them?

It's very popular with people but It seems risky to me

Btw Curve was mentioned . How safe is it to link all your accounts to them?

It's very popular with people but It seems risky to me

The way it works, it's about as dangerous as using your card online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Definitely avoid Permanent TSB. Can't do anything on the app. Can't transfer from savings to someone, can't set up new payees or standing orders. Can't screenshot either. Logs you out randomly for 'security reasons' even though you need two passwords to log in and no fingerprint log in either. They're constantly down for maintenance too.

I'm with KBC now, much better app. Fingerprint login, can setup new payees/standing orders and transfer money to other people from savings account. Won't log you out randomly and will stay logged in if you switch to another app. Can also take screenshots if needed. KBC also support Google/Apple/Garmin/Sony payments which is great.

They don't have the quick balance view like AIB but not a big deal personally as I'm paying the mortgage from my account so I always leave extra in there just in case. No fees with KBC if you lodge €2,000 a month.

McGaggs wrote: »
    The way it works, it's about as dangerous as using your card online.

So it would be ideal if you just linked all secondary cards like Revolut for online shopping etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Ulster Bank has an excellent app

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

However the BOI spokesman said
    While we can’t currently confirm the exact date, Apple Pay is coming soon, making it easier for our Apple customers who prefer to pay for transactions using their phone,” a spokesman said in response to questions from Independent.ie today.

Because 'coming soon' sounds better than 'we're still thinking about it'.

I'd take anything BoI says about a technology rollout with a large dose of salt after the wait we had for their 'new' mobile app.

Got a message the other day to say that the new BOI app for iOS is on its way and to keep an eye on the App Store. So it will be a race to see which comes first, the new app or the closure of my BOI account ahead of the new charges lol

Mine updated on iOS last week some time. It’s grand, definitely looks more modern and finally uses full screen but the Android version was a buggy mess compared to the old one so it remains to be seen how well it works.

The new icon is a weird bright shade of blue too, but that’s minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,235 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ulster Bank has an excellent app

I was trying to help out a family member tonight, but it looks like the Ulster Bank app can only make payments to Irish bank accounts, IBAN starting with IE.

Is there any way around this for Ulster Bank customers?

• Advertisement

I was trying to help out a family member tonight, but it looks like the Ulster Bank app can only make payments to Irish bank accounts, IBAN starting with IE.

Is there any way around this for Ulster Bank customers?

You can certainly make international payments. So far as I remember you need to set these up using the website rather than the app as the need to be authorised via the card reader.

Advertisement