Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water bottles

Options
  • 09-09-2020 2:33pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭

ok, this might be a bit of a weird one but I'm looking for some nice water bottles.
    The ones I have are are all from my LBS. My go-to one is 700ml (which I prefer) but it's old and the clear plastic is now dirty looking - the others are smaller and their cap is too fiddly for my liking.
    Whilst I know everyone's preferences are different, does anyone know of some water bottles that you thought "wow this is perfect"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Years ago, a friend of mine recommended these to me, he said, if I got one, I'd never use any other bottle again. He was right.
    The seal on them is perfect and you can lock them closed.
    Not cheap.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/camelbak-podium-710ml-bottle-ss19/rp-prod182079

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm a big fan of camelbak as you don't have to fiddle around with opening and closing the cap on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Years ago, a friend of mine recommended these to me, he said, if I got one, I'd never use any other bottle again. He was right.
    The seal on them is perfect and you can lock them closed.
    Not cheap.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/camelbak-podium-710ml-bottle-ss19/rp-prod182079

I have that water bottle. I bought the smoked one at the time, as it was the only colour available (I wanted black). My only gripe with it is that I didn't wait for the black, as I always have miwadi in it, and the miwadi has stained it. If I had waited for the black, you'd never seen the staining!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a camelbak, it's my go-to bottle.
    i won it on GCN in the caption competition so it has a big GCN logo plastered on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Don't worry Seth, water bottles are contentious for me too. My biggest gripe through the various bottles Ive gone though is the scratching from taking in and out of the cages. They look s**t after a bit of use. I have the above linked bottles in black and they are in bits, they function well, but I preferred the older version of this bottle (smoke) which is knackered now (the seal is gone) but I still use it (maybe 4 years old). I still haven't found what Im looking for :-). Maybe the podiums in Smoke colour, which doesn't appear to show the wear and tear as much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I can't fault the Camelbak bottle mentioned above. Well worth the extra few euros.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

hmmm, I'm starting to think that there might be a pattern here :D
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Elite bottles in elite cages for me. The bottles scuff up, but not from falling out of the cages (on road or gravel).

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

got the above camelbak bottles in halfords, the dirt series , insulated , good bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I had a couple of those Camelbak bottles a few years back. They were great but I eventually dumped them because I could't stop mould from growing in the spout.

I tried to clean them - but there must have been something I was doing wrong. I'd like to go back to them - at the moment I'm using 600ml bottles from Decathlon that cost about €4.

Which I find great by the way - but I'm not doing as much cycling these days.

• Advertisement

thejaguar wrote: »
    I had a couple of those Camelbak bottles a few years back. They were great but I eventually dumped them because I could't stop mould from growing in the spout.

I tried to clean them - but there must have been something I was doing wrong. I'd like to go back to them - at the moment I'm using 600ml bottles from Decathlon that cost about €4.

Which I find great by the way - but I'm not doing as much cycling these days.

You were doing something wrong. You can disassemble the bottle lid to give them a good cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Plus one on the camelback bottles. Don't have any problem keeping the spout clean, dishwasher cleans them fine. I don't have any drinks with sugar in them though. A high 5 tablet is all I ever put in and that's really only for a hot day or I'm out for a long spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

+1 for Camelbak Podium, a couple of years ago I mailed them because one of the mouthpieces had split and they sent me a pair of replacements even though the bottle was 4-5 years old.

Unfortunately, according to my teenage daughter I can no longer purchase Camelbak products because they are owned by Vista Outdoor, one of the largest producers of firearms ammunition in the US. Same goes for Giro helmets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_Outdoor

R

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

RunDMC wrote: »
    +1 for Camelbak Podium, a couple of years ago I mailed them because one of the mouthpieces had split and they sent me a pair of replacements even though the bottle was 4-5 years old.

Unfortunately, according to my teenage daughter I can no longer purchase Camelbak products because they are owned by Vista Outdoor, one of the largest producers of firearms ammunition in the US. Same goes for Giro helmets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_Outdoor

R

In fairness, there are many legitimate uses for firearms and ammunition. Today's post is brought to you by the letter "N", for Nuance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Eamonnator wrote: »
    You were doing something wrong. You can disassemble the bottle lid to give them a good cleaning.

The older version didn't come apart so easy but the new design lids are fantastic for cleaning.

I love how they never have the nasty plastic smell. Well worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Useless post of the day, +1 for camelbak bottles. We have about 5 in the house used for cycling, lunches, days on the beach. Haven't had one fail yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yep - Camelbak for me too. Even my young lad has started using them for his various sports.

I've a few of the cheapo High5 bottles that I'm forced to use - mainly because the young fella has hidden/lost/not washed the Camelbaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

I thought I had a problem when I spent ages recently trying to choose bottles, but the depth of observation on this page assures me I'm in reasonable company. I too would like the perfect bottle, and then to find it in the perfect colour of course! I picked up some Canondale ones in the end but the nozzle is a bit fidgety and you kind of have to hold it awkwardly to encourage good flow. So the wait goes on for me anyway.

a148pro wrote: »
    I thought I had a problem when I spent ages recently trying to choose bottles, but the depth of observation on this page assures me I'm in reasonable company. I too would like the perfect bottle, and then to find it in the perfect colour of course! I picked up some Canondale ones in the end but the nozzle is a bit fidgety and you kind of have to hold it awkwardly to encourage good flow. So the wait goes on for me anyway.

I hope you have a Cannondale bike!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Baking soda and water and a bit of scrubbing brings old ones back to life. Denture tablets for the inside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭secman

Terrible choice of water bottles in LBS's, ive been on the lookout for a while now, stocks are way down on lots of shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I use these https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/lifeline-water-bottle-600ml/rp-prod194591

They hold well in Elite cages and generally I get them at about €2 each. Normally get 4 new ones at the start of each season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

https://interallgroup.com/biobidon/

I use these now, they're plastic free. I have them over a year now and they're in good nick still.
    And they don't add to the plastic overload!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did you order them online, or do any shops in dublin stock them?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭wheelo01

secman wrote: »
    Terrible choice of water bottles in LBS's, ive been on the lookout for a while now, stocks are way down on lots of shops.

I have some 500ml Coca Cola ones here - In typical Coke colours, you can have them free if they're any use to you.
    Someone around here recommended them, I bought some, but cant get on with a small bottle.
    Brand new, in packaging, the two I have used are lying on a shelf doing nothing.

Thanks for the offer..but im a bottle snob... must blend in with the bike , nothing garish or clashing with the bike...cheers all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

The new Camelbak Podium's are a lot more serviceable than the previous generation. But they do need a bit more care than the previous version as bacteria can build up very easily.

So, regular dismantling and cleaning is an absolute must. I pulled one of mine apart the other day and the inside was black. I've only filled it with water and added electrolytes the odd time. Soaked in sterilising fluid over-night along with a bit of agitation to help things along, did the job.

PS. I did get a bit of a dose from forgetting to clean it a while back as I also use it off the bike too

f1000 wrote: »
    The new Camelbak Podium's are a lot more serviceable than the previous generation. But they do need a bit more care than the previous version as bacteria can build up very easily.

So, regular dismantling and cleaning is an absolute must. I pulled one of mine apart the other day and the inside was black. I've only filled it with water and added electrolytes the odd time. Soaked in sterilising fluid over-night along with a bit of agitation to help things along, did the job.

PS. I did get a bit of a dose from forgetting to clean it a while back as I also use it off the bike too

TBH that's put me off them seems high maintenance to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

secman wrote: »
    TBH that's put me off them seems high maintenance to me :)

I’ve only had my Camalbak water bottle 3 or 4 months, but I’m really wondering how people are having issues with them! After every use, I take the lid off, then take the little rubber bit off the bottom of the lid, throw it all in the dishwasher, and it’s as good as new once the dishwasher is finished with it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

did you order them online, or do any shops in dublin stock them?

Ordered them online.

I have a camelback one too from years ago, never liked it.

Advertisement