Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water bottles

Options

Comments

I use the camelbak podiums and really can't fault them. They have spent three years in and out of the dishwasher and are fine.

I really like the Elite super corsa as well, but mine are red and they clash with my bike colours so I can't use them :mad:

I did buy some elite crystal ombre ones and they look really nice, but there is a horrible plastic smell off them that won't go away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Camelbaks all the way.

I suspect the problems people are having with them is a result of putting sugary sh1te into the bottle. Stick to good ol' water and you shouldn't have an issue. We've loads of them, I'm a sucker for picking them up on sale. They stand the test of time and are well worth the money.

I got a rake of these a while back too

https://procyclingoutlet.com/product/camelbak-podium-water-bottle-21oz-garmin-sharp

https://procyclingoutlet.com/product/camelbak-podium-water-bottle-21oz-cannondale

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A bike water bottle that can't handle "sugary sh1te" pretty useless for me anyway, as I do fuel rides!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

fat bloke wrote: »
    Camelbaks all the way.

I suspect the problems people are having with them is a result of putting sugary sh1te into the bottle. Stick to good ol' water and you shouldn't have an issue. We've loads of them, I'm a sucker for picking them up on sale. They stand the test of time and are well worth the money.

I got a rake of these a while back too

https://procyclingoutlet.com/product/camelbak-podium-water-bottle-21oz-garmin-sharp

https://procyclingoutlet.com/product/camelbak-podium-water-bottle-21oz-cannondale
    I misread pro-owned as pre-owned there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I have some 500ml Coca Cola ones here - In typical Coke colours, you can have them free if they're any use to you.
    Someone around here recommended them, I bought some, but cant get on with a small bottle.
    Brand new, in packaging, the two I have used are lying on a shelf doing nothing.

I’d buy these from you if you were happy to sell them to me?

• Advertisement

wheelo01 wrote: »
    I have some 500ml Coca Cola ones here - In typical Coke colours, you can have them free if they're any use to you.
    Someone around here recommended them, I bought some, but cant get on with a small bottle.
    Brand new, in packaging, the two I have used are lying on a shelf doing nothing.

I’d buy these from you if you were happy to sell them to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I misread pro-owned as pre-owned there

I did the exact same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭f1000

secman wrote: »
    TBH that's put me off them seems high maintenance to me :)

Not exactly high maintenance. They are very easy to pull apart for a thorough clean. I don't have regular access to a dishwasher, so an over-night in some sterilising fluid gets everything.

I do use the Podium all the time as my go-to hydration 'daily driver'. I just forget to clean it when I should :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have bags of bottles and all i ever use is my camelbak podiums

if anyone ever wants bags of random bottles i have loads if anyone is ever passing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just stand outside your house holding up a musette bag with bottles in them until some cyclists pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    A bike water bottle that can't handle "sugary sh1te" pretty useless for me anyway, as I do fuel rides!
    You took the words out of my mouth.
    f1000 wrote: »
    Not exactly high maintenance. They are very easy to pull apart for a thorough clean. I don't have regular access to a dishwasher, so an over-night in some sterilising fluid gets everything....
    That is high maintenance for a water bottle.

I've never liked the look of Camelbak and nothing I've read here would entice me to try one. (They are also way too big).

I consider water bottles to be something to be changed every few weeks and should match bike/s or kit. I also prefer the 500ml ones as I don't drink much and they look neater than those hideous 750ml ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

You took the words out of my mouth.

That is high maintenance for a water bottle.

I've never liked the look of Camelbak and nothing I've read here would entice me to try one. (They are also way too big).

I consider water bottles to be something to be changed every few weeks and should match bike/s or kit. I also prefer the 500ml ones as I don't drink much and they look neater than those hideous 750ml ones.

You buy new water bottles every few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

cletus wrote: »

I put a new one on every day I’m cycling,

yes brand new and disposable,

sterilised in a factory and quality controlled .....

I find the Aldi ones fit best my carbon cage at bout 2.49 for six inc contents.

Also they can’t be beaten for empty weight !

I’d only ever refill them if out on a very long run .

Easily recycled (pun intended)

I’d did get slagged once on appearance , but you can’t beat my hygiene logic.

And hygiene is number one today .

Bigus wrote: »
    I put a new one on every day I’m cycling,

yes brand new and disposable,

sterilised in a factory and quality controlled .....

I find the Aldi ones fit best my carbon cage at bout 2.49 for six inc contents.

Also they can’t be beaten for empty weight !

I’d only ever refill them if out on a very long run .

Easily recycled (pun intended)

I’d did get slagged once on appearance , but you can’t beat my hygiene logic.

And hygiene is number one today .

The poster above you was talking about bottle matching bike and kit, so unlikely to be buying from Aldi :D

Why is hygiene number one today? Because of coronavirus? Surely that means very little for a bottle only you are likely to be drinking from

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

My only problem with the podiums is if I'm swapping bottles (I have a water and a fueled), it's not as easy to hold a heavy one in your mouth as the regular kind as the "lip" is missing.

Consequently I generally use regular bottles on a long spin and podium whenever I only need one bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I use the camelbak as well, I think some of them must be getting on for 10 years old and still faultless.

Also like the Galibier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I use two Podiums, out of necessity I have trained myself to hold the empty bottle with 3 fingers and hold the bars while I move the full bottle from one cage to the other and then slide the empty back into the free cage. Never thought to use my dentures! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm not a bike snob but I don't like using anything besides the Giant branded bottles on my Giant bikes. They're 5 years old now and still perfect seals and bpa free so can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

thejaguar wrote: »
    at the moment I'm using 600ml bottles from Decathlon that cost about €4.

Which I find great by the way - but I'm not doing as much cycling these days.

The Decathlon ones are pretty good for the price. One nice thing about them is that they don't develop a plasticy taste. The one thing I'm not mad about is that the plastic is quite stiff, so while they're grand when the temperature's warm, when it gets down to single digits it takes a fair squeeze to get anything out of them

JMcL wrote: »
    The Decathlon ones are pretty good for the price. One nice thing about them is that they don't develop a plasticy taste. The one thing I'm not mad about is that the plastic is quite stiff, so while they're grand when the temperature's warm, when it gets down to single digits it takes a fair squeeze to get anything out of them

Place the security label is night on impossible to get off them

• Advertisement

Yes.
    Luxman wrote: »
    I use two Podiums, out of necessity I have trained myself to hold the empty bottle with 3 fingers and hold the bars while I move the full bottle from one cage to the other and then slide the empty back into the free cage. Never thought to use my dentures! :-)
    Why not just use the bottle from either cage? Why swap over?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yes.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    The waste :(

Yes.

Why not just use the bottle from either cage? Why swap over?

I obviously don't know you or your circumstances, but that seems like a collosal waste of money and resources. What do you do with the old bottles you are replacing

I obviously don't know you or your circumstances, but that seems like a collosal waste of money and resources. What do you do with the old bottles you are replacing
    Perhaps but I very rarely buy bottled water - perhaps 2 or three times per year. Other people seem to constantly have a bottle of water in their hand. Same with take away tea/coffee - I rarely buy them.

I see lads spending €2,000 on a wheelset and then go out with scuffed dirty bottles - I can't understand that logic.

(Perhaps i shouldn't say that I also change the bottle cages a few times per year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Years ago, a friend of mine recommended these to me, he said, if I got one, I'd never use any other bottle again. He was right.
    The seal on them is perfect and you can lock them closed.
    Not cheap.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/camelbak-podium-710ml-bottle-ss19/rp-prod182079

I bought two of those and I hate them purely because if you use a hydration tab (I always use the SIS caffeine/cola hydro tabs) and fill the bottle fairly full the first time you open the seal/cap to take a drink it’s spits out at you from the gas built up from the tab dissolving. I binned then and went back up my favourite Elite Corsa 750ml bottle and have stuck with it since.

I use denture cleaning tabs to clean my bottles, full the bottle with warm water, drop in a tab and leave overnight. It’s cleans the properly and kills any bacteria.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    The waste :(
    i have two water bottles which are at least five years old. and two others which are newer. i could not tell the difference between them in a blind test.

i've never carried more than two bottles on the bike at one time, so even thought four was more than enough.

i have two water bottles which are at least five years old. and two others which are newer. i could not tell the difference between them in a blind test.

i've never carried more than two bottles on the bike at one time, so even thought four was more than enough.

Before I bought my 2 bio bidons, I had a red Kelly's bottle, for 4 years. It was my only bidon. It fell out going over a ramp in a race. I got a bidon for taking part in that race (I haven't taken free bidons at races since), and replaced the Kelly's one after (it was red and matched my bike) so that did me until I got the Camelback as a Christmas present, which I hated, then last year I got the bio bidons.
    3 plastic bidons in 6 years, and I still feel guilty about them.

no need to feel guilty - you got years out of them?
    a couple of trips to the shops will probably bring back nearly as much plastic in disposable packaging, even if it's just ver trays in bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I have used a platypus/bladderbag/camelback for cycling (and hiking and skiing)
    I am onto my 2nd one now, which I use with either the small back pack it came with or with the larger 25L day hike bag i have. The first one i had, i got a new spout for it, when the original one seal broke.
    You are able to dismantle them to give them a good wash
    I never used it for a sports drink or miwadi

I went through a phase of using a nalgene bottle with spout for cycling, which clipped into the crossbar, I found them robust, lasted a long time, probably still in the cupboard somewhere
    I used it when i made up the fruit juice(miwadi), salt and sugar .... homemade isotonic drinks.

In the scouts in my youth, and when i was camping, I liked a water bottle with a wide mouth, quicker to fill from a stream, and easier to clean out.

• Advertisement

My day to day bottle is steel worth a wide mouth. It's nicer to drink out of a wide mouthed vessel.

I haven't bought a plastic bottle of drink apart from milk in years. I have the tetra pack recycling difficulties v plastic bottle recycle-ability debate every week with milk. I get through 3.5 litres a week by myself :o

Advertisement