Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water bottles

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

no need to feel guilty - you got years out of them?
    a couple of trips to the shops will probably bring back nearly as much plastic in disposable packaging, even if it's just ver trays in bags.

They'll outlive me many times over though :(
    All that said one of my bikes is carbon and numerous bits of the others are too so I'm not plastic free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I have two bottles, one that I go with my first bike 8 years ago? And one that I bought in halfords for about 4 euro just before the W200 last year as I felt I would need the extra bottle. Both are able to carry water and both are able to pour that water into my mouth, perfect!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

eeeee wrote: »
    They'll outlive me many times over though :(
    All that said one of my bikes is carbon and numerous bits of the others are too so I'm not plastic free.

Plastic free? Not sure how anyone could be plastic free in today's world or even close.

What are you posting to this forum on? Phone, Tablet or Computer?? All have plastic in them.

Your bicycle helmet - polycarbobate shell.
    Your bike computer.....
    Shoe cleats....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

leave my bottles with milton sterilising fluid in them overnight every few weeks, tends to sort them out !

G1032 wrote: »
    Plastic free? Not sure how anyone could be plastic free in today's world or even close.

What are you posting to this forum on? Phone, Tablet or Computer?? All have plastic in them.

Your bicycle helmet - polycarbobate shell.
    Your bike computer.....
    Shoe cleats....

Hence me saying I'm not plastic free.... :rolleyes:
    I do try to avoid it as much as possible when I can, so I'm not dumping stuff unnecessarily in future generations for my own convenience.
    I'm far from plastic free, as I said, but I do limit it as much as I can. Lycra is the biggest offender for me, I haven't found an alternative to it that I can afford. I have some merino stuff but it's still got plastic in it for stretch, zips, etc.
    I have friends who are completely plastic free, but they're not cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Hence me saying I'm not plastic free.... :rolleyes:
    I do try to avoid it as much as possible when I can, so I'm not dumping stuff unnecessarily in future generations for my own convenience.
    I'm far from plastic free, as I said, but I do limit it as much as I can. Lycra is the biggest offender for me, I haven't found an alternative to it that I can afford. I have some merino stuff but it's still got plastic in it for stretch, zips, etc.
    I have friends who are completely plastic free, but they're not cyclists.

At the risk of going a little off topic how do your friends live today completely plastic free? Do they not own TV's or radios or phones/laptops? Does their work not involve anything electronic? Do they drive cars? Even for exercise, do they not wear runners/trainers?
    So much food comes wrapped in plastic too. Are they self sufficient?
    I'd be interested to hear. I would find it impossible to live plastic free.

G1032 wrote: »
    At the risk of going a little off topic how do your friends live today completely plastic free? Do they not own TV's or radios or phones/laptops? Does their work not involve anything electronic? Do they drive cars? Even for exercise, do they not wear runners/trainers?
    So much food comes wrapped in plastic too. Are they self sufficient?
    I'd be interested to hear. I would find it impossible to live plastic free.

One of the biggest impediments is money, it contains plastic, and not having debit cards etc.
    They're plastic free in clothes and shoes, they're not too much of a hassle, and shop on plastic free markets - there are a couple of them in Dublin now where you bring your own containers and fill them with whatever you need, buy fruit and veg without plastic, (they grow an awful lot themselves but grains and flour etc they buy Ave extra fruit and veg as needed). Those with smart phones use a fairphone, one has an old iPhone they've had since before their plastic free journey. They're hardcore.
    The rest of us in my friend group are on the plastic free spectrum to varying degrees.
    I am not the best, but cycling is worse than food shopping for me for plastic - carbon, lycra (in my non cycling life i only buy second hand clothes, so at all the 90's and 80's polyester is going on me and not in landfill!) the things I buy for my bikes come annoyingly wrapped in plastic -stems, bars, even groupset bits, all smothered in plastic -Come on cycling!
    I have very far to go to be nearly plastic free, but I consider the impact of every plastic thing that I am thinking of bringing into my life (no non plastic alternative), and weigh up the impact, then decide if I really need it or not.

I feel guilty about tyres too, they're not recyclable easily at all, so I tend not to keep more then 1 spare in case I don't use them before they go off.
    My weakness is sensodyne and jellies. I haven't found a tooth powder as good as it and don't always get to the penny sweet shop to buy my jellies in a paper bag, the call of Squashies does overwhelm me every couple of months. Both of which are kind of indefensible.

I'm also warning myself now for going off topic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One of the biggest impediments is money, it contains plastic, and not having debit cards etc.
    They're plastic free in clothes and shoes, they're not too much of a hassle, and shop on plastic free markets - there are a couple of them in Dublin now where you bring your own containers and fill them with whatever you need, buy fruit and veg without plastic, (they grow an awful lot themselves but grains and flour etc they buy Ave extra fruit and veg as needed). Those with smart phones use a fairphone, one has an old iPhone they've had since before their plastic free journey. They're hardcore.
    The rest of us in my friend group are on the plastic free spectrum to varying degrees.
    I am not the best, but cycling is worse than food shopping for me for plastic - carbon, lycra (in my non cycling life i only buy second hand clothes, so at all the 90's and 80's polyester is going on me and not in landfill!) the things I buy for my bikes come annoyingly wrapped in plastic -stems, bars, even groupset bits, all smothered in plastic -Come on cycling!
    I have very far to go to be nearly plastic free, but I consider the impact of every plastic thing that I am thinking of bringing into my life (no non plastic alternative), and weigh up the impact, then decide if I really need it or not.

I feel guilty about tyres too, they're not recyclable easily at all, so I tend not to keep more then 1 spare in case I don't use them before they go off.
    My weakness is sensodyne and jellies. I haven't found a tooth powder as good as it and don't always get to the penny sweet shop to buy my jellies in a paper bag, the call of Squashies does overwhelm me every couple of months. Both of which are kind of indefensible.

I'm also warning myself now for going off topic.

There's an irish artist who uses old bike tyres to make sculptures. Can't for the life of me think of his name. I've held onto mine in case I ever think of it again.

Anyway, that's me ignorning the mod warning and slapping myself on the wrist.

Advertisement