Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinned Tomatoes

Options
  • 09-09-2020 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

hi, is anyone able to recommend any quality tinned plum tomato brands from the usual supermarkets?

Ive been using these from Tesco NI and they're great but not always there...

c12858022ac69c519abc74737953dda9.jpg

**its the plum tomato version of this brand...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Here is something useful: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/11-things-know-when-youre-buying-tomatoes

Me personally I buy tinned plum tomatoes for something that needs a bit of texture or passata for pizza or pasta sauce or such. Usually buy the cheapest from Lidl or so. Could never really see any noticeable difference to any 'fancy' brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Supervalue do San Marzano tomatoes. A little sweeter and very "tomatoey". Id always use them if I can.

8003716001929_3.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Aye i've heard San Marzano are great! no super valu near me unfortunately (north-west) but will keep looking!

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Aye i've heard San Marzano are great! no super valu near me unfortunately (north-west) but will keep looking!

Any of the fancier food shops will have them. M&S too. Cherry tomatoes also great for sauces. Lovely and sweet and theres more pectin in them so you get a lovely consistency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I always use Aldi tinned tomatoes and find them consistently good. A while back I bought couple of tins of Mutti tomatoes to try but I didn't notice much of a difference, if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,751 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I just buy Lidl ones. Find buying whole tomatoes rather than chopped makes far more of a difference than brand. Too many stalky bits in the chopped ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Whatever you do - dont buy '' pizza sauce''
    its just tinned tomatoes with a splash of salt ans basil for 2x the price!

I will add some salt to my sauce if it is gonna be Margarita but if adding meats i will leave it off as i find it too salty .

carq wrote: »
    Whatever you do - dont buy '' pizza sauce''
    its just tinned tomatoes with a splash of salt ans basil for 2x the price!

I will add some salt to my sauce if it is gonna be Margarita but if adding meats i will leave it off as i find it too salty .

Try a grating of parmesan on top of passata instead of salt. Really nice.

Less is more with pizza really isnt it? I find the 49c Aldi passata as good as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I just buy Lidl ones. Find buying whole tomatoes rather than chopped makes far more of a difference than brand. Too many stalky bits in the chopped ones.

I think whole vs chopped is an implicit quality grading. They chop the ones that couldn't be sold whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

The Nal wrote: »
    Try a grating of parmesan on top of passata instead of salt. Really nice.

Less is more with pizza really isnt it? I find the 49c Aldi passata as good as anything.

I do like a wee bit of oregano over the pizza too, and just I just cook the garlic cloves whole in the sauce after fyring in olive oil first, then just take them out...

• Advertisement

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I do like a wee bit of oregano over the pizza too, and just I just cook the garlic cloves whole in the sauce after fyring in olive oil first, then just take them out...

Fennel seeds also nice with tomato sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I usually switch between Cirio and Napolina. Depends on whichever one is on sale. Usually one or the other is.

Advertisement